Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread

+18
Officer_Charon
tsundere9kagami2
Ggultra2764
Sintendo
Plaxy
0utf0xZer0
Triela
Awinnell
theprodigalson
Totoum
rusty-spring
windfish55
KodokuRyuu
Alfisti
Piero
Five_X
Kiskaloo
Robert Frazer
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Autumn 2010 Anime Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 8:34

Totoum wrote:Panty & Stocking 3

The first part had me thinking that it was surprisingly normal or that I was just getting used to the weirdness

Then the 2nd part made me go "nope,this show is still as fucked up as ever",reminded me a bit of some oldschool woody allen cranked up to 11

Yeah, they really went off the deep end with this one. Which is saying something for this show.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 12:45

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works:

Only thing I've watched so far this season, and well, in spite of not reading the visual novel (Mac user, what's your excuse), I understood the plot reasonably well, although I must say Shirou really gets ripped off in the anime and the movie:

Shirou Emiya wrote:Bullshit! I was promised an H-scene. Instead I get a CGI dragon and the bastard child of a flashback and an acid trip.

Also, Tohsaka is tsundere as usual:
Autumn 2010 Anime Thread - Page 3 Compla11

SPARTAN 119

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sat 16 Oct 2010 - 16:00

Psychic Detective Yakumo

This needs to be licenced in the states and have the dub be the "spiritual sequel" of "ghost stories".

Totoum

Forum Posts : 480

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 6:18

Kuragehime - jellyfish princess

Take a Moe show , replace moeblobs with nerds and you get Kuragehime.....which might just be my favorite show so far.

You can even play a game with the OP: how many movie references do you recognise?

Totoum

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 8:10

Totoum wrote:Kuragehime - jellyfish princess

Take a Moe show , replace moeblobs with nerds and you get Kuragehime.....which might just be my favorite show so far.

You can even play a game with the OP: how many movie references do you recognise?

Stoked about Singin' in the Rain being in there... will have to check it out.

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5880

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 11:27

Totoum wrote:Kuragehime - jellyfish princess

This show was not on my radar, but after that OP, I shall download the first episode. Good

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 16:22

Totoum wrote:Panty & Stocking 3

The first part had me thinking that it was surprisingly normal or that I was just getting used to the weirdness

Then the 2nd part made me go "nope,this show is still as fucked up as ever",reminded me a bit of some oldschool woody allen cranked up to 11

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Officer_Charon

Forum Posts : 1472

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 17:58

Few updates here. The anime gathering my brother has been organising have really helped broaden my horizons a bit this season.

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls(Episodes One and Two):
I’d actually deliberately steered clear of this one to some degree, but in the end I actually did end up watching it. If you can live with the ridiculous premise, massive amounts of gratuitous fan service, massive amounts of obtrusive censoring, awful costuming, and the stunningly historically offensive “Great Japan” spiel that was hopefully meant as parody, then it’s actually a pretty darn good show. The first episode seemed like it was sort of “so bad it’s good” but as of the second episode I think maybe I can drop the “so bad” part. Yeah, it indulges the hell out of an entire crapload of anime clichés, but it does so knowingly and in my opinion rather effectively. Add some nice artwork and animation to the entertainment value and you actually have a pretty good show, albeit not one for people who are easily offended by ridiculous fan service.
Kuragehime (Episode One): There were some parts that were actually fairly good, but overall it seemed to be another addition to the large number of so-so comedy shows that are airing this season, so it didn’t stand out all that much.
Stardriver (Episode Three): This show is fabulously pretty and entertaining, but also massively ridiculous. Although I get the impression that to some degree the creators may intend for it to be taken seriously, especially since the main writer for this series also worked on Utena, which I also had trouble taking seriously despite the fact that it was apparently meant to be taken seriously. Oh well, at least it’s rather entertaining (in spite of the fact that it share’s its predecessor’s tendency towards being repetitive).
The World God Only Knows (Episodes One and Two): I finally got convinced to take a look at this, and it actually is pretty funny with its dating sim parodies. Probably about the best part was when the demon girl introduced herself to the protagonist’s mom by claiming to be her husband’s illegitimate daughter. Laughing Anyway, this show is darn funny and hopefully it’ll stay that way.

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 18:26

The World God Only Knows is promising to be quite good.

Didya catch the Peanuts reference in the animation at the beginning of Episode 2? Right before the OP

Officer_Charon

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 18:58

With some dozen shows already in my weekly queue, I think some of these others will have to wait until next season (and I can download the Blu-ray batches).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 19:46

Officer_Charon wrote:Didya catch the Peanuts reference in the animation at the beginning of Episode 2? Right before the OP

Not without having it pointed out to me, no. Was it how the other students were drawn when they were laughing?

Black Lagoon OVA (Episode 2): Adaptations are often known for compressing their source material, but sometimes they expand on it instead, and this episode was an excellent of that. It did an excellent job of laying out the story and also gave some of the characters some well utilized extra attention. Rock in particular benefited from this, as he was able to show off his formidable ability to take pieces of information and piece them together.
Of course expanding on this part meant dragging events out even more than they already were in the part of the manga this was based on. Nevertheless, I think overall I like the changes, even if the slow bits drag on into next episode because of it. Slow isn’t necessarily uninteresting.

Last edited by Piero on Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 20:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the yellow text.)

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 20:03

Officer_Charon wrote:The World God Only Knows is promising to be quite good.

Didya catch the Peanuts reference in the animation at the beginning of Episode 2? Right before the OP

lol I just rewatched it and the way the students laugh really is the same as in peanut's but i'm not sure if they did it on purpose.

Also,i've been considering picking up milkey holmes,can anyone share their thoughts on the show?
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Fan of : claes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 17 Oct 2010 - 20:21

Totoum wrote:Also,i've been considering picking up milkey holmes,can anyone share their thoughts on the show?

I found it to be this season's "Super Moe Spectacular", though I must admit it was also pretty funny.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 15:58

I'm not to going to continue with an episode by episode running commentary of what I am watching going forward, so I'll just finish up with my plans:

Shinryaku! Ika Musume

As Bugs Bunny would say - "Love it! Love it!" I'll watch HorribleSubs release because it's fast, then archive Underwater's because it's better quality.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Also to quote Bugs Bunny - "It's the suspense that gets me". I have to watch this weekly just to see what line they cross that week. Wink

Ore was Imouto ga Konnami Kawaii Wake ga Nai

I can't believe his sister is that cute, either, but because she is (and so is the show), I'll keep watching it.

Iron Man

I am normally not a fan of superhero comics or shows and this one looks like it will be "threat of the week" formulaic, however it's just too gorgeously animated to drop. However, I might just defer watching it until the Blu-ray batch comes out so I can enjoy the animation quality to maximum effect.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

This one should be an easy drop because it's SHAFT and I hate SHAFT because their animation sucks ass. I'm surprised I didn't guess it was SHAFT with the first episode, but 5 minutes into the second episode the herky-jerky movement, ADD jump cuts, distorted close-ups and other Hallmarks of Craptasticness made it clear they were the production studio. Smile

But I just am really attached to Hotori Arashiyama, even though her voice is grating. Maybe it's because she kinda looks like Haru from The Cat Returns and Fuka Ayase from Yotsuba&!... Anyway, I'll likely be watching this one weekly. sweat

Yosuga no Sora

Not sure about this one, as of yet. Only two episodes in, so hard to make a decision, but will likely keep watching it.

Fortune Arterial

The Cute Girl Factor is epic, but it does have the Moe Dial cranked to 11.

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread - Page 3 Arterial-Fortune

As such, I'll probably put this one on hiatus and wait for the Blu-ray batch since the animation quality is such that it will likely look gorgeous in that format.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes

Another show with the Moe Dial cranked to 11. Well, maybe 12. Since bandwidth and storage space is cheap. I'll likely download this one and store it for a rainy weekend rather than watch it weekly.

Otome Yokai Zakuro

An average show so far, IMO, even if I find Zakuro pretty tolerable as a tsundere. Smile Again, with bandwidth and storage space so cheap, I'll probably download and defer.

Star Driver

The first episode made little sense, and reports are it doesn't get much clearer. The third episode is said to have introduced Major Boobage, which evidently improved the viewing numbers in Japan a good bit. Wink Still, gonna pass on this one.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 19 Oct 2010 - 1:08

Yosuga no Sora - Episode 03

This show really plays it's eroge foundations on it's sleeve. Even the comedic outro part at the end with the maid is loaded with sexual innuendo and fan service. I expect that the show will be like the anime adaption of School Days in terms of their being a good bit of sexual intercourse amongst the cast, except without the "bad end". And considering how little they censor the show (at least AT-X's broadcast)... Guh?
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Tue 19 Oct 2010 - 2:13

Black Lagoon Ova 2 - This story arc in the manga get's a bit long in the tooth, but I find the anime version easier to swallow since it gets condensed. As usual Fabiola offers some great facial expressions, and I'm always for more Eda screen time. Razz
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 19 Oct 2010 - 11:56

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated - Episode 12

Not anime, but still animated. So far, a solid series with plenty of off-the-wall comedy. Double bonus for this week's episode: Cthulu and Harlan Ellison!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 19 Oct 2010 - 12:42

Kiskaloo wrote:Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated - Episode 12

Not anime, but still animated. So far, a solid series with plenty of off-the-wall comedy. Double bonus for this week's episode: Cthulu and Harlan Ellison!

Big thanks,in the middle of watching all this anime I knew I'd forgotten to check out one show this week Very Happy
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 Wed 20 Oct 2010 - 16:13

I haven't been keeping up with the new Scoob, but I've seen a few episodes, and I'm impressed. I do think, however, it has a little too much lovecrap (Velma is too gooey-eyed over Shaggy), and too much ridiculous/cartoony humor. I would love to see a Scooby Doo that is mostly serious, with stronger horror elements, more complex characters and maybe an occasional violent crime, although that would go too far for the kids. Still, I can dream of a Scooby Doo for grownups!
windfish55
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 2:21

Various updates:

Iron Man (Episode 3): This episode was weaker than the first two. I think it's a matter of focus. This one felt like it was being pulled in too many directions. Plus there were a few things that were kind of ridiculous. Like the furniture ramming scene. It it just me, or did that furniture hit the doorframe rather than the guy it was aimed at and STILL knock him down?
Ore no Imouto (Episode 3): Man, I'm surprised the lead guy was willing to go that far for his sister's sake. I'm also kind of surprised that it decided to tackle such a serious event so early in it's run. Not quite sure where this is going to go next. I'm somewhat worried about how these events could affect the relationship between the main characters though. I'm kind of wondering if they're planning to start to have their relationship resemble something out of one of the games in the series rather than the more real world-ish relationship the two have had thus far.
The World God Only Knows (Episode 3): I'd really enjoyed the first two episodes of this show, but this one was perhaps a bit too out there. Good parody sometimes requires a bit more subtlety.
Yosuga no Sora (Episode 3): Some good parts in this episode, but it needed faster pacing. It's a trainwreck, after all. Trainwrecks are best when they're fast paced.
Also, this show is pretty much completely shameless. Holy crap does it cross lines, especially with those after show segments. It's actually a bit much, I think.
Does anyone find the shrine maiden character highly reminiscent of Minorin from Toradora for some reason?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 5:32

windfish55 wrote:I would love to see a Scooby Doo that is mostly serious, with stronger horror elements, more complex characters and maybe an occasional violent crime, although that would go too far for the kids. Still, I can dream of a Scooby Doo for grownups!
Have you checked out the animated movie where the gang went to Zombie Island?
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Fri 22 Oct 2010 - 19:17

Nachtsider wrote:Have you checked out the animated movie where the gang went to Zombie Island?

I second this.

Ore no Imouto 3 : will continue to watch,mainly because of the otaku arguments.

The World God Only Knows 3: : well i'm partially with piero,either be more subtle or cross the line to an extreme but don't be somewhere in the middle,which I feel this show is.

Panty and Stocking 4:Again a tease,started pretty conventionaly,made me wonder if we'd see a ghost,but before I knew it we were back to the insanity and as always it was epic.

Sora no otoshimono 4 : I wish my snowfights were this epic

Spoiler:
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 23 Oct 2010 - 12:19

Totoum wrote:Panty and Stocking 4:Again a tease,started pretty conventionaly,made me wonder if we'd see a ghost,but before I knew it we were back to the insanity and as always it was epic.

I agree. The show just keeps getting better and better. And by "better", I don't mean "good", just that they somehow keep finding ways to top the insanity from the previous episode.

if they keep this up, the 12th episode will probably kill the audience, who will asphyxiate because they're laughing so hard they can't breathe in. Smile

Now all we need is a "Lingerie Run" at the compound for Croce to blow a head gasket. Wink
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 24 Oct 2010 - 17:46

Macross Frontier: The False Songstress (Movie): As some of you may know, I’ve been eagerly anticipating this movie. I am a huge fan of the Macross Frontier TV series and after seeing some awesome looking advertisements I really wanted to see what this alternate retelling was like.
Anyhow, this movie was very pretty, and it was interesting seeing what changes were made from the TV version in regards to the characters and story. However I have to say that in spite of how pretty this movie is the TV series is way, way better. Not only does it do a better job of establishing its setting and characters, but it has more emotional impact and even has more involving action sequences. This movie may have been pretty, but frankly it actually seemed a bit dull compared to the TV series it’s an adaptation of.
Now I should probably admit that since I was watching this on my computer monitor and not in a big theatre I probably wasn’t getting the full effect, since the movie was really made for theatrical screens. However I think part of the issue is the type of story the creators chose to tell with this movie. I came in fully expecting that the characters wouldn’t be as well developed as they were in the TV show, but that there would be plenty of really spectacular action sequences as compensation. However what action sequences there were –while sometimes pretty impressive –tended to be over in a flash and generally weren’t very emotionally involving. The movie did have a lot of pretty scenery, but the TV series was already fairly pretty, so I think that the movie should perhaps have used a bit more flash and bang spectacle.
What the series did seem to try to do was concentrate on telling the story. And initially I was fairly impressed. Judging by the early parts, I got the impression the creators might actually manage to condense the story into one movie without it suffering massively for it. However in the end the movie did suffer a fair bit from the compression and left a lot of loose ends dangling. In fact there are so many dangling loose ends (still hidden villains, the fact that humanity hasn’t made peace with the Vajra) that I’m getting fairly certain that the info indicating that the first movie would be an alternate retelling and the second a completely new story is wrong. This movie really needs a sequel so that it can get a proper resolution.
Which may mean I’m judging this movie somewhat unfairly, sinc e it may well be only the first half of the story. Nevertheless it wasn’t really all that great as a stand alone installment. Hopefully it will do better when paired with the second film. I guess I’ll have to wait and see since the second film hasn’t even come out in theatres in Japan yet (and then there’ll be a big wait for DVDs and Blurays for the fansubbers to work with).

I did a little bit of commenting on the movie versions of some of the characters, but decided that would be more appropriate in the Macross related analysis thread I'd been doing in then it would be lumped in a general review thread like this (on the other hand I do think what I posted here is appropriate for a general review thread).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 24 Oct 2010 - 22:51

Revisiting Macross Frontier: The False Songstress (movie):

There seems to be a trend with my favorite shows for me to have mixed feelings about them the first time around, then come to like them a lot more after re-viewing. Perhaps it's a matter of expectations. I often find I'm less bothered by the things that bugged me the first time around and more appreciative of the show's strengths if I watch it more than once. (Note this isn't a free second chance for all shows -there are a lot of shows I'm not inclined to rewatch.) And while that happened awfully quickly in this case, this movie seems to be a good example of that.

Perhaps I viewed this movie with the wrong expectations. I went into it expecting it would tell the whole story in one go, for instance, and as I've thought about it it's become increasingly clear that this movie is most likely the first part of a retelling (as I noted in my previous review, I'm now sceptical of assertions that the second film will be an all new story -I think it will continue this film's alternate retelling of events). I also went into this with my expectations clouded by the progression of events in the TV series and by what I'd seen in trailers.

Anyhow, for whatever reason(s) I appreciated this film a lot more after my desire to review some of it led to me pretty much rewatching the entire thing a few hours after finishing the first run through. First off, I really didn't do the film justice when I said it was "very pretty." It's gorgeous, and while the comparison between it and the TV series isn't as drastic as it could be due to the TV series' own relatively high production values, it really is a more impressive production from a visual standpoint. Perhaps more importantly, the movie didn't seem to drag as much the second time through, and it even seemed more satisfying emotionally. Hell, I found I didn't even have a problem with the relative low dosage of variable fighter action. There may not have been much, but some of it was actually pretty impressive looking, and I guess I can wait another film to see if I get a chance to see a better showing of a Tornado Pack equipped VF-25's supposed capabilities (those huge underwing pods that looked like fuel tanks that Alto jetissoned upon entering atmosphere are supposedly loaded with a lotof micro missiles, so the thing ought to be able to do a pretty spectacular Macross Missile Massacre).

So yeah -I'm not sure it's going to be able to beat out the TV series for me (for the time being I think I'm going to consider that the "true" Macross Frontier), but it proved to be reasonably enjoyable. At the very least it's an interesting alternate take on the story and characters (and some of the alternate characterisation has some interesting potential).

And now I need to wait like another year until fansubs of the second movie become available so I can evaluate the movie retelling of the series in full. Laughing Going to be a bit of a wait.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 Mon 25 Oct 2010 - 16:33

Nachtsider wrote:Have you checked out the animated movie where the gang went to Zombie Island?
I remember seeing it as a kid, but it's been at least ten years. Is it on DVD?
windfish55
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Fri 29 Oct 2010 - 17:02

Panty and stocking 5

First part: nothing to say really it's the usual good stuff

Second part : AND NOW LETS DO SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

different art style,no panty and stocking as main charcters,no sex jokes,and dare i say a heartwarming episode?

Mio Says Wut?

Liked it too.

Random note:I made myself dinner and was going to eat while watching a show i had just downloaded,when I realised that show was panty and stocking i nearly punched myself,eating while watching P&S was not an easy task Laughing
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 1 Nov 2010 - 2:38

I've been kind of busy lately so I haven't really kept up with commenting on everything I'm watching. And I'm not sure I'm going to try to hard at this point. That being said here's some comments on a few select shows:

Amagami SS (Episode 17): After two relatively weak story arcs in a row, the fifth story arc got off with a flying start and is looking good. Although I do have to say that considering that the main girl from this arc is supposed to be overweight she doesn't really look like she's overweight. Sure she had a more rounded face than the other girls and doesn't look quite as slender, but other than that...
To Aru Majutsu no Index II (Episode 4): I've been finding the first story arc of the new season pretty freaking terrible. Hopefully we'll move on to a new story arc soon.
Iron Man (Episode 4): This episode was freaking awesome. Why? Because they had a brief appearance from a character that relates to another Marvel franchise:
Spoiler:

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 1 Nov 2010 - 19:30

Piero wrote:Amagami SS (Episode 17): After two relatively weak story arcs in a row, the fifth story arc got off with a flying start and is looking good.

I have not been watching this one (too much on my plate plus I have hit this genre hard the past few seasons), but I have been buying the CDs for each of the girls and they're really, really good.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 2:43

I've been busy recently, but here are some quick comments of note:

As much as I liked the early Otome Youkai Zakuro episodes, episodes 4 and 5 have further improved my impressions by fleshing out the secondary couples (well, I guess one is a threesome). I'm kind of disappointed Crunchyroll is saying this will only be 13 episodes. Oh, and episode 5 features Zakuro having to wear a fancy dress to attend a ball - it's amusing precisely because she acts how one would expect her to act.

I was wondering if Ore no Imouto was going to have a falter a bit after the awesomeness of episode 3, but episode 4 and 5 were great - not only was the characterization complex, but they managed to throw in some nice twists on the classic "accidental group" and "it's not like I did it for you!". Also, while I doubt it will happen, I can't help but ship Kyousuke x Ayase after episode 5.

Meanwhile, episode 4 and 5 of Yosuga no Sora are proving that rural Japanese girls really can't resist the shouta-looking type. Note to Akira: feeling something hard is pretty much a given if you sit in a guy's lap with no clothes on. Semi amused that she's willing to get naked with him in a bath and let him touch her but is too embarassed to look him in the eye while doing so or talk without using innuendos.

Finally, MM! really channeled the spirit of cult classic ecchi-comedy Inukami! in episode 5. Episode 4 was kind of lame though, the "just as planned" date thing has been done a few too many times before. I also have to note that this show has some seriously catchy OPs/ED.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 15:13

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Meanwhile, episode 4 and 5 of Yosuga no Sora are proving that rural Japanese girls really can't resist the shouta-looking type. Note to Akira: feeling something hard is pretty much a given if you sit in a guy's lap with no clothes on.

Well the point of these types of games if to get the girls to all have sex with you, so if she's offering, of course you take her up on it. Wink Though I wonder how Kazuha is going to feel about Akira seducing the guy she loves. Anybody know if she owns a boat? Razz

So that's two down, with I guess Nao next up to bat followed by Motoka. Oh wait, he did Motoko in the Episode 5 outro. Wink

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 17:37

We needn't worry about taking a trip on a Nice Boat, at least if the little sister's jealousy can be kept in check. Yogusa No Sora is pulling an Amigami on us - once the Main Character gets his Good Ending, the story resets and we get to see him take another girl's path instead - the beginning of this episode returns to the swimming pool scene at the end of episode two.

The show's quite an, er... um... fascinating and introspective cultural portrait of rural life (yes, that'll do), but it's also hilarious as an exhibition of Japan's bizarrely uneven sexual morals. You can have heaving bosoms pleading for release from the confines of girls' blouses - but a bit of half-clothed heavy petting means that the censor bars have to come out? You're leaving it a bit late to get them to buy the DVD extras, guys...
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 18:55

Kiskaloo wrote:
So that's two down, with I guess Nao next up to bat followed by Motoka. Oh wait, he did Motoko in the Episode 5 outro. Wink

Route four is the wincest route, not Motoka's. Motoka gets the omake.

Robert Frazer wrote:We needn't worry about taking a trip on a Nice Boat, at least if the little sister's jealousy can be kept in check.

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone thinks "nice boat" as soon as an anime throws in a jealous girl these days. School Days got that ending because the game was infamous for its gory bad ends, genre convention goes against using bad ends and the vast majority of VN adaptations follow that convention.

Robert Frazer wrote:
The show's quite an, er... um... fascinating and introspective cultural portrait of rural life (yes, that'll do), but it's also hilarious as an exhibition of Japan's bizarrely uneven sexual morals. You can have heaving bosoms pleading for release from the confines of girls' blouses - but a bit of half-clothed heavy petting means that the censor bars have to come out? You're leaving it a bit late to get them to buy the DVD extras, guys...

I'm kind of glad the show has such a nice "cultural portrait of rural life" because otherwise I'd feel like I was watching softcore porn. As for the "not quite uncensored" stuff - this airs on a subscription channel in Japan, who may be paying to get a less censored version. Doesn't seem to be impacted bluray sales much, apparently the series jumped to like fourth place on Amazon's anime bluray sales listing after episode four, behind K-On!! and Angel Beats.

Some scented deodorant company needs to pick up Haruka's endorsement.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 19:28

0utf0xZer0 wrote:As much as I liked the early Otome Youkai Zakuro episodes, episodes 4 and 5 have further improved my impressions by fleshing out the secondary couples (well, I guess one is a threesome). I'm kind of disappointed Crunchyroll is saying this will only be 13 episodes.

Exact same thoughts,just when I'm getting into it I have to learn that it's only 13 episodes long.Though seeing where things are now I think they'll be able to wrap things up nicely in 13 episodes,unlike quite a few other 13 episode shows...

Oh and that battle song is addicting,taking out monsters while singing such a peacefull song makes all the girls more badass.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 20:54

I agree... I caught myself singing it under my breath on a traffic stop, just now. *wry grin*

I like how Zakuro doesn't quite know which niche she's supposed to fit into, and how Agemaki unwittingly says the right thing which she's at her most vulnerable. Also, Tso Tsundere! *chuckles wryly* Susukihotaru is adorable, and Hozuki/Bonbori are a cut-up - HILARIOUS how they keep blowing Ganryu's mind. *grin*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 22:00

Robert Frazer wrote:Yogusa No Sora is pulling an Amigami on us - once the Main Character gets his Good Ending, the story resets and we get to see him take another girl's path instead - the beginning of this episode returns to the swimming pool scene at the end of episode two.

I was wondering about that cut. Now it makes sense.

This show is not what I was hoping for, and the explicitness is not what I expected, but since I am about halfway in, I'll probably keep with it.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how everyone thinks "nice boat" as soon as an anime throws in a jealous girl these days. School Days got that ending because the game was infamous for its gory bad ends, genre convention goes against using bad ends and the vast majority of VN adaptations follow that convention.

It's now an official Internet Trope/Meme, so that demands it be used. Smile

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 3 Nov 2010 - 11:27; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 3 Nov 2010 - 2:17

Kiskaloo wrote:
Piero wrote:Amagami SS (Episode 17): After two relatively weak story arcs in a row, the fifth story arc got off with a flying start and is looking good.

I have not been watching this one (too much on my plate plus I have hit this genre hard the past few seasons), but I have been buying the CDs for each of the girls and they're really, really good.

Amagami seems to be a bit of a love it or hate it show, although my own opinion is that it's quality varies considerably by arc. Some people think doing a dating sim adaptation that divided the different girls' routes into alternate continuity arcs was a horrible idea. I think in general it's a good one since it allowed them to fully develop each relationship on it's own rather than engaging in a messy horse race with a predetermined winner. Of course this also meant that how good each arc was depended a lot on how well the writers handled the relationship that was the focus of that particular arc. Hence some of the arcs are awesome while others are kind of lame.

Robert Frazer wrote:Yogusa No Sora is pulling an Amigami on us - once the Main Character gets his Good Ending, the story resets and we get to see him take another girl's path instead - the beginning of this episode returns to the swimming pool scene at the end of episode two.

I'm not so sure that Yosuga's approach is such a good one. I've heard things indicating that there are various arcs with shared episodes but that they aren't always the same episodes -some might share episodes one and two and others might share episodes one and seven for instance. It seems to me that this makes for considerable potential for confusion about what's going on. As where with Amagami it's simple because there are no shared episodes between the different arcs.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 4 Nov 2010 - 13:33

Laine makes a guest appearance on Episode 05 of Shinryaku! Ika Musume.

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread - Page 3 Ika_Laine
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 4 Nov 2010 - 14:41

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Oh, and episode 5 features Zakuro having to wear a fancy dress to attend a ball - it's amusing precisely because she acts how one would expect her to act.

She certainly was showing her dere side.

But what was Zazie Rainyday doing there? Razz
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 4 Nov 2010 - 15:47

It must be Studio Ghibli week...

South Park riffs My Neighbor Tototo and Tantei Opera Milky Holmes pays homage to both Nausicaä and Laputa.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 4 Nov 2010 - 17:13

My Neighbor Cthulu. Fantastic. Laughing

Just caught up on Gundam Unicorn. Two episodes in, and it's already three times better than any of that Cosmic Era or Anno Domini bullshit. The fact that they have a character named 'Full Frontal' is enough win already, never mind the beautiful animation and solid storytelling. Universal Century or GTFO. Sieg Zeon!

Spoiler:
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Fri 5 Nov 2010 - 19:11

Okay, I was already enjoying Kuragehime, but episode three managed to up the humour level and introduce new plot elements in the same episode.

Although being a glasses man, I have to say that normal Tsukimi is probably cuter than the "dolled up" version.

0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Fri 5 Nov 2010 - 21:42

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Although being a glasses man, I have to say that normal Tsukimi is probably cuter than the "dolled up" version.

Yep,being a glasses man also I definatly agree.I don't mind the shaving part though Laughing

Panty and stocking now has a main plot,and main villains:

Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 6 Nov 2010 - 13:46

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt #6 - That was epic...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 6 Nov 2010 - 16:21

Here's some updates on a few shows.

Iron Man (Episode 5):
I find that how good this show is seems to vary considerably from episode to episode.
Ore no Imouto (Episode 5): It's kind of amusing how much crap the male lead puts up with for the sake of his little sister, although I also find the fact that he's willing to take so many hits for the sake of an annoying younger sibling kind of unrealistic. Laughing
Star Driver (Episode 5): The novelty seems to be wearing off somewhat.
The World God Only Knows (Episode 5): This show was great early on, but I haven't been two big on the way they've handled some of the post intro story arcs. I could probably use some time to form an opinion.
Railgun OVA: For all that it may not be great, it was certainly a lot better than the current arc of Index.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Sun 7 Nov 2010 - 18:29

0utf0xZer0 wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how everyone thinks "nice boat" as soon as an anime throws in a jealous girl these days. School Days got that ending because the game was infamous for its gory bad ends, genre convention goes against using bad ends and the vast majority of VN adaptations follow that convention.

On the topic of this - while the stab-happy yandere kill frenzy is well-known, are there any animes where it's turned around and it's the man who murders an infidelitous wife or girlfriend instead? I know that it's improbable given the tendency for anime to feature limpid milquetoast protagonists in order to identify with the socially awkward otaku crowd, but in fifty years of cartoons there must have been at least one...
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 7 Nov 2010 - 22:35

My Father Can't Be This Tsundere Childhood Friend Can't Be This Friend Zoned Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Ep. 6:

It seems that Kyousuke's childhood friend, Manami is still in the friend zone in spite of signs that she clearly wants more. Also Kirino has got herself a dakimakura.

Also, something from a couple episodes that Jacen and Five X might find amusing:

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread - Page 3 Keito
If you can't read the text, it reads: Kate/Starry Night: Unlicensed Blade Works.
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 8 Nov 2010 - 21:39

SPARTAN 119 wrote:My Father Can't Be This Tsundere Childhood Friend Can't Be This Friend Zoned Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Ep. 6:

It seems that Kyousuke's childhood friend, Manami is still in the friend zone in spite of signs that she clearly wants more.

Yeah... I'm getting a Toradora! vibe with this episode and that worries me. Hopefully, Ayase Aragaki's dislike of Kyōsuke stays firm and Manami wins him in the end, otherwise I'm calling on Cherubino to invoke Brooklyn Rage.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 1:30

Robert Frazer wrote:On the topic of this - while the stab-happy yandere kill frenzy is well-known, are there any animes where it's turned around and it's the man who murders an infidelitous wife or girlfriend instead? I know that it's improbable given the tendency for anime to feature limpid milquetoast protagonists in order to identify with the socially awkward otaku crowd, but in fifty years of cartoons there must have been at least one...
Anime these days is in need of a long-overdue testosterone overdose. Otaku pansies must have strong role models to finally grow a pair and stand tall. I sometimes look at those losers and shudder.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 3:59

Nachtsider wrote:
Robert Frazer wrote:On the topic of this - while the stab-happy yandere kill frenzy is well-known, are there any animes where it's turned around and it's the man who murders an infidelitous wife or girlfriend instead? I know that it's improbable given the tendency for anime to feature limpid milquetoast protagonists in order to identify with the socially awkward otaku crowd, but in fifty years of cartoons there must have been at least one...
Anime these days is in need of a long-overdue testosterone overdose. Otaku pansies must have strong role models to finally grow a pair and stand tall. I sometimes look at those losers and shudder.

I'm not sure that murder is the best way for male anime leads to start showing manliness...

Also, while there are a fair number of wimpy male protagonists out there I've also noticed a tendency for fans to brand male protagonists as being wimpy even when they actually aren't. Although I suppose it does depend a bit on how you define wimpy. I actually tend to be a lot more impressed by a male lead who is willing to stand up to danger to protect something he cares about than one who is constantly showing off how manly he is. In fact there are times where the latter trait comes across as poser-ish to me (this is one of the reasons I thought 300 was a terrible film).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 10:13

Kiskaloo wrote:
SPARTAN 119 wrote:My Father Can't Be This Tsundere Childhood Friend Can't Be This Friend Zoned Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Ep. 6:

It seems that Kyousuke's childhood friend, Manami is still in the friend zone in spite of signs that she clearly wants more.

Yeah... I'm getting a Toradora! vibe with this episode and that worries me. Hopefully, Ayase Aragaki's dislike of Kyōsuke stays firm and Manami wins him in the end, otherwise I'm calling on Cherubino to invoke Brooklyn Rage.

Ayase? I was more worried about Kirino's implied interest in incest (as per the siscon H games).
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 18:15

Panty and Stocking continues to amuse me beyond words. Episode 6's fight with their evil counterparts cemented my desire for the OST when it comes out.
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 18:31

Kiskaloo wrote:Yeah... I'm getting a Toradora! vibe with this episode and that worries me

I know we've been over this before and your thoughts about toradora,but what reminds you of toradora in this episode?Toradora had no "childhood friend" girl.

Episode 6's fight with their evil counterparts cemented my desire for the OST when it comes out.

December 29th,that day will be like 2nd christmas day.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 20:20

Totoum wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:Yeah... I'm getting a Toradora! vibe with this episode and that worries me

I know we've been over this before and your thoughts about toradora,but what reminds you of toradora in this episode?Toradora had no "childhood friend" girl.

Didn't Minori Kushieda know Ryūji since they were kids?
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 9 Nov 2010 - 20:39

Kiskaloo wrote:Didn't Minori Kushieda know Ryūji since they were kids?

I'm pretty positive Ryuji met minorin in their first year of highschool,had a crush on her but didn't speak to her at all.That's why he wanted to use taiga to get close to her,I remember him going "she knows my name!" in one of the early episodes.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 13 Nov 2010 - 16:10

Panty & Stocking 7 - Just when I think this show can't get any better, it does.

Hands down my second favorite of the season behind Shinryaku! Ika Musume.

And release the frackin P&S soundtrack already!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sat 13 Nov 2010 - 18:26

Panty & Stocking 7 was freakin' AWESOME... I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire thing. Also, more "Rrrrrrules!"
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Sat 13 Nov 2010 - 21:52

SPARTAN 119 wrote:Ayase? I was more worried about Kirino's implied interest in incest (as per the siscon H games).

I'm totally convinced that all hints of Kyousuke/Kirino are just the author screwing with people.

Speculation: you know how they were talking about Manami staying over at Kyousuke's at the end of episode 6? I've been wondering if she's going to discover Kirino's hobby too. That would place Kyousuke in a difficult situation, because while I think he can lie and "take the fall" when dealing with his dad and Ayase because he isn't very close to them, I don't think he could do the same in front of Manami.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 14 Nov 2010 - 1:32

This week's episode of Index II was awesome. Although if it wasn't for the fact that the next episode preview indicates that Touma and Index will be getting involved shortly I might have deemed it more appropriate for a second season of Railgun. Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next