Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread

+18
Officer_Charon
tsundere9kagami2
Ggultra2764
Sintendo
Plaxy
0utf0xZer0
Triela
Awinnell
theprodigalson
Totoum
rusty-spring
windfish55
KodokuRyuu
Alfisti
Piero
Five_X
Kiskaloo
Robert Frazer
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread Empty Autumn 2010 Anime Thread

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 12:45

This is still a couple of months away yet, but we're starting to get the first concrete information about GAINAX's upcoming Autumn extravaganza.

Imagine, if you will, that The Powerpuff Girls, merry with imbibing, stumbled into the affections of a similarly inebriated Invader Zim! and these two razzle-starred trippers of the light fantastic proceeded to conceive offspring in a sweaty communion in the back seat of a Camarro. Once the sprog was dropped, it was given up into care... and reared by the foster of Dead Leaves, while learning street smarts from its childhood chum Jet Set Radio. And to twist that tortured analogy a bit further still, Gurren Lagann is the godfather.

I give you:

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread 1278268116602

A pair of angels are kicked out of Heaven for their lascivious ways wholly at odds with Paradise's prim and proper peaceful politeness... but Heaven realises that it still needs them to kick Satan's ass as demons are launched upon the Earth. It's no exaggeration to say that I am pumped for Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt - action-packed and electric, vivid like graffiti and dirty but not sleazy with its cartoony tongue planted firmly in its cheek, this is promising to be a highlight of the coming season with a pedigree that guarantees a veritable tsunami of thrills'n'spills'n'doctor's bills. Yes, at the moment it's all hype... but the hype has completely lanced through the armour of cynicism and transfixed me with excitement. This isn't going to be anything sophisticated, affecting or profound - but it is going to be the silly, quirky and pure adrenal fun popcorn hit of the year.

GAINAX Blawg

Last edited by Robert Frazer on Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 14:56; edited 1 time in total
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread Empty Re: Autumn 2010 Anime Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 14:46

Uh...yeah....
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 16:09

Hey, Kisk, don't be hatin'. I'm looking forward to an incest rom com about a girl who like ero games.

The chart is here, by the way:

http://a.imageshack.us/img713/985/fall2010anime.jpg
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 16:27

Five_X wrote:Hey, Kisk, don't be hatin'. I'm looking forward to an incest rom com about a girl who like ero games.

The chart is here, by the way:

http://a.imageshack.us/img713/985/fall2010anime.jpg

I suppose I'll give it a try, along with a few other titles.

Good to see Index getting a second season. Didn't really like Railgun nearly as much.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 18:08

I don't really put a whole lot of weight in these sorts of charts. I almost always find that there are shows on them that I wouldn't be inclined to watch based on their descriptions that I end up liking after I watch the copies my brother downloads. In fact at least three of the shows I'm watching this season are like that (Asobi ni Ikuyo, Amagami, and Ookami-san) including my top pick for the season (Asobi). That's a huge portion of the new shows that I'm watching!

That being said, here's my comments on a few of these shows.

Panty and Stocking with Garter Belt: Not sure what to make of this one. I tend to find Gainax stuff pretty over rated -even Gurren Lagann, which I quite enjoyed. The art style for this one really doesn't appeal to me very much as well. But then a lot of my favorite shows each season end up as surprises, so who knows.

Whatever the one about the guy whose little sister likes eroges is:
Five_X had suggested this one might be a parody. One can certainly hope that's the case, because just imagine how awful the show it going to be if it isn't a parody. Laughing

To Aru Majutsu no Index (Season 2): I'll probably give it a try, although unlike Kisk I think my bias it towards Railgun. I found the Esper focused stuff in Index tended to work a lot better than the Magician focused stuff did. Plus I think that Railgun-tan is a way better character than Index. Although at least we're likely to see a lot more of Railgun-tan and Touma together this way. We didn't see a lot of those two together in Railgun.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:10

Robert Frazer wrote:Imagine, if you will, that The Powerpuff Girls, merry with imbibing, stumbled into the affections of a similarly inebriated Invader Zim! and these two razzle-starred trippers of the light fantastic proceeded to conceive offspring in a sweaty communion in the back seat of a Camarro. Once the sprog was dropped, it was given up into care... and reared by the foster of Dead Leaves, while learning street smarts from its childhood chum Jet Set Radio. And to twist that tortured analogy a bit further still, Gurren Lagann is the godfather.

A pair of angels are kicked out of Heaven for their lascivious ways wholly at odds with Paradise's prim and proper peaceful politeness... but Heaven realises that it still needs them to kick Satan's ass as demons are launched upon the Earth. It's no exaggeration to say that I am pumped for Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt - action-packed and electric, vivid like graffiti and dirty but not sleazy with its cartoony tongue planted firmly in its cheek, this is promising to be a highlight of the coming season with a pedigree that guarantees a veritable tsunami of thrills'n'spills'n'doctor's bills. Yes, at the moment it's all hype... but the hype has completely lanced through the armour of cynicism and transfixed me with excitement. This isn't going to be anything sophisticated, affecting or profound - but it is going to be the silly, quirky and pure adrenal fun popcorn hit of the year.
Looks like my sort of retarded...

Five_X wrote:The chart is here, by the way.
Holy... is that new Super Robot Wars OG I espy? The original was terrible, but in the best way possible.

Actually, is it just me or do we seem to be heading on a retro-robot trip? "Stardriver" looks suspiciously over-the-top-70's-super-robot in its style as well... and the art for Unicorn Gundam reminds me a lot of the 08th MS Team (honestly, my favorite of what Gundam I've seen) era.

Wait, just looked that one up on Wikipedia... it has a character called "Full Frontal"?
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 3:02

Deadman Wonderland is getting an anime? Booyah.

Been waiting to read Bakuman till I saw a bit of the anime, so looking forward to this one.

Might try out Togainu no Chi and even dare Japan's version of Iron Man.

Anyone know why Yozakura Quartet is getting redone?
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 4:24

Just watched the Iron Man trailer on Youtube. It looks like it could be cool.
windfish55
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 13:10

The one that caught my eye the most was Deadman Wonderland. The others I'll defer until later when I've seen some reviews. Perhaps that slice-of-life show about the wacky maid by Shaft - the name is way too long for me to try to remember it by memory right now. Autumn 2010 Anime Thread Icon_razz
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 13:34

I don't think that it'll be my main viewing, but I bought a volume of the manga and enjoyed it well enough, so I'll check out Deadman Wonderland at least to see how it translates.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 13:50

The "Cute Girl Factor" will have me at least start Yosuga no Sora, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, Ore was Imouto ga Konnami Kawaii Wake ga Nai, Shinryaku! Ika Musume and Fortune Arterial.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 14:10

I also was planning on watching The World God Only Knows, as I've heard that the manga is very good.
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Thu 2 Sep 2010 - 1:45

Just learned that the director of Iron Man is the guy that directed akagi,kaiji and one outs.

I just got a lot more excited about iron man

head bang
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson Thu 2 Sep 2010 - 13:04

Index 2 pleases me greatly. I enjoyed the first season and also enjoyed the Railgun spinoff (though in a very different way). But I have to agree with Piero in that I'm far more intrested in more Touma/Misaka antics then Index herself. Beyond that one though...I'm going to wait and trust in the respective judgements of Cyborg Central like I did this summer. Ya havent let me down so far!
theprodigalson
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 12:10

just saw Hen semi,not one for the kids,or work, all about perversions
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 13:37

Some of those look awesome! Iron Man+Mad House= WIN!
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Fri 1 Oct 2010 - 17:05

Well, the Autumn season is starting up now - time to get this show on the road!

Stream for Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt Episodes 1 & 2

It's as juvenile and scatological as expected (literally - episode one is about a bog monster!), and I have to say that initially it's a bit cringeworthy, but if you can get past your embarrassment the graffiti art style and slick production is nothing short of a delight - stick around for the second episode, which treats you to a genuinely wild car chase. In places the direction is inspired (the 'angel dance' in episode one was arresting, as I've said the car chase was exhilarating, and having actual models of the monsters explode was genuinely hilarious). Altogether it satisfies.

Last edited by Robert Frazer on Sat 2 Oct 2010 - 14:01; edited 1 time in total
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Oct 2010 - 13:41

If Genndy Tartakovsky was allowed to develop a show for Adult Swim (so he could add sex and other adult themes) and he then proceeded to drop serious amounts of acid while developing the idea, the result I think would be Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Yes Indeed

It was certainly one of the most fucked-up shows I have ever seen, but that really only made it that much more awesome.

I predict this will explode huge in Japan and the US.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Oct 2010 - 14:46

Having finished Iron Man 2, I thought I'd give the new Iron Man anime a spin...

First off, the animation is incredible. Whatever Madhouse spent on Gunslinger Girl, they were given double the budget for Iron Man and it shows.

Spoiler:

I expect this one will blow-up huge in the US, at least.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 3:55

Between Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt and MM!, this season has some spectacular "refuge in audacity" going on. I love both shows. P&S is just amazing, the plot and such is just constrained enough to prevent it from going way off into left field like Dead Leaves (made by many of the same people) did while still being incredibly fucked up, and MM! takes tsundere anime and beating on male leads to its logical extreme, as the trailer demonstrates:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/anime/watch/v20457942ZbdNgDxS
The first episode actually had a half decent plot, too. I must say, though, that I don't get some of ANN's comments about MM!... something about the how modern Japanese men aren't manly enough, which is a real social issue and the show is playing it for cheap laughs? Huh? And since when does being a masochist make you wimpy?

I'm not sure what to make of Bakuman this early. It's an anime about being an aspiring mangaka by the writer of Death Note. Seem to be trying to mix comedic and poignant, but overall if comes across as a combination of funny and wallbanger. Of the two lead guys, one is awesome and one is an angsty 14 year old.

I Agreee with Kiska that the ending of the first Iron Man episode was seriously WTF. As with Bakuman I think I'll have to give it another episode or two to really judge. On the plus side, the animators had Tony Stark get slapped by a tsundere, which I wouldn't have thought of but which makes perfect sense to have happen in an Iron Man anime.

@Kiska: According to my best friend, Panty and Stocking is proving to be a "love it or hate it" show with the online crowd.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 6:47

I guess i'm the only one here who's going to watch Sora to otoshimono forte?
Only 2 seconds into the OP and I was reminded of why I liked the first season:the people who make it have no limits !That OP was pure win.Plus the animation is as good as ever.

Will follow Bakuman,having read the manga,I like JC Staff but I'm sad it's not the death note team doing this.First episode was alright,look forward to seeing my favorite parts of the manga animated,and by the way,I did learn a bit about the manga industry and history by reading the manga,hope the anime won't cut those part out in favor of the romance which is cheesier than cheese.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 11:52

Totoum wrote:I guess i'm the only one here who's going to watch Sora to otoshimono forte?

I could not get through the first episode of the original Sora to Otoshimono, so I have no interest in the sequel. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Plaxy Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 12:10

Iron Man looks like it is gonna be good. I wonder if it gets dubbed it they'll have Robert Downy Jr play the voice of Tony. With creation like megaman and other power suit anime's in japan already I can see why this might be a major hit in japan, It's one of the few American creations that plays off stuff that japan is familiar with when it comes to animes.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, just doesn't seem for me its like trying to watch a 5 yo act grown up not sure who their target audience is too perverted to be for minors and too juvenile to be for grown ups.
Plaxy
Plaxy

Male

Forum Posts : 83

Fan of : Henrietta

Original Characters : Soliel(so-lè)

Comments : I've only killed 4....I killed 10 enemies last month... please doctor don't take me off duty.

Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 12:22

Kiskaloo wrote:
Totoum wrote:I guess i'm the only one here who's going to watch Sora to otoshimono forte?

I could not get through the first episode of the original Sora to Otoshimono, so I have no interest in the sequel. Smile

Oh I remember,especialy since it's like one of the only times you and piero agreed on something Wink

Plaxy wrote:not sure who their target audience is too perverted to be for minors and too juvenile to be for grown ups.

There's plenty of juvenile grown ups out there Wink

I'm both lovin' and hatin' the show at the same time,one thing's for sure it definatly left a mark on me and I'll be watching the next episode with a strong interest in the OST which might be my favorite of the year so far.

Spoiler:
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 12:50

Totoum wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:

Oh I remember,especialy since it's like one of the only times you and piero agreed on something Wink

It's certainly not a specific hate of Sora to Otoshimono, it's just that I can't stand this type of anime where the male lead is a hyper-pervert who is then presented with an attractive girl with gallon-milk-jug breasts who will do absolutely anything his perverted head desires and he won't touch her with a ten foot pole.

Not that I want to see a hard-core animated porno, mind you, but take the frackin shot, kid!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 13:32

Kiskaloo wrote:it's just that I can't stand this type of anime where the male lead is a hyper-pervert who is then presented with an attractive girl with gallon-milk-jug breasts who will do absolutely anything his perverted head desires and he won't touch her with a ten foot pole.
Exactly my thoughts. Why, back in my day to simply get a woman's attention we had to bonk them in the head with a club, then drag them back to the cave to impress them with fire and mastodon steaks. Autumn 2010 Anime Thread Oldnwk
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 15:16

Kiskaloo wrote:r], it's just that I can't stand this type of anime where the male lead is a hyper-pervert who is then presented with an attractive girl with gallon-milk-jug breasts who will do absolutely anything his perverted head desires and he won't touch her with a ten foot pole.

I've been trying to reply to this but can't really decide what to say,I definatly don't think it's up your alley but at the same time you're deeply mistaking if you think he'd never touch a girl if he got the chance Smile
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 3 Oct 2010 - 22:24

Double post to celebrate how FABULOUS star driver is

Don't just take my word for it,look how GG named their chapters:

Autumn 2010 Anime Thread Capturedcran20101004041

Good thing I really love the cast and the art is pretty,because apart from that...

Oh and OP 10 minutes into the show has to be some kind of record.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Mon 4 Oct 2010 - 1:12

I thought that Star Driver was going to be Bones' answer to Code Geass. However, this is somewhat different: it changes plot understandability for fabulousness.relative to Code Geass.

The sheer WTF factor of this probably is going to keep me watching, but since Panty and Stocking and MM! have pretty much already made this season great in terms of "refuge in audacity" value, I was hoping for something with a better story.

Oh, and a priestess character who doesn't wear an actual miko outfit? I am disappoint.

I also watched Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai, AKA There's no way my Little Sister Could be this Cute, and the first episode basically felt like the first episodes Nogazaka Haruka no Himitsu, only with an imouto rather than an ojou character. At least the rather, uh, awkward nature of the imouto's specific anime interest makes this a bit funnier than Nogizaka Haruka was. I'll probably give it an episode or two to prove itself.

And now I really need something with a good plot to balance out all the stuff I've watched so far...
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 4 Oct 2010 - 11:57

Ore no Imouto ga Konnami Kawaii Wake ga Nai - Episode 01

Looks like the kind of "slice of life slapstick comedy" that tends to suck me in long enough that I become committed to finishing it, so I expect this one will be on my weekly rotation with Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, To Aru Majutsu no Index II and Iron Man. And that the girl is the one who is the hyper-otaku is a nice twist, for a change.

And to think I still have six more shows waiting to start to see if I want to follow them, as well. Yikes!

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Mon 4 Oct 2010 - 19:41

Just saw the first episode of Otome Youkai Zakuro, and I must say, I was indeed bewitched by Zakuro.

The basic premise is that it's the Meiji era, and the spirits are ticked off that the humans are switched to the Gregorian calander. To promote understanding, the humans send three soldiers to live with spirits. They are then paired with four youkai girls. Initially, the leader of the youkai girls finds herself falling for the leader of the humans in spite of her misgivings, beacuse he's rather uh... "bishounen". However, she loses respect for him after realizing he's terrified of the spirits and just putting on a brave air. Combine with fact the shy girl is afraid of the big guy she's paired with and that the twin sisters think the shouta-looking guy they're paired with is super cute, and hilarity, of course, ensues.

The show itself feels like a bit of a shoujo-seinen hybrid, and the lead pairing is fantastic. It's too early to tell with the other pairings, they feel a bit one-note but they haven't gotten much screen time yet. And hey, girls with animal ears FTW. If the rest of the series is as good as the first episode, I'm going to really enjoy this.

@Kiska:

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu had the girl be the hyper-otaku too, but Ore no Imouto looks better so far, just because the main girl doesn't feel like she was created solely to be an otaku's fantasy girlfriend. Plus her obsession with little sister games makes for some humourous awkwardness.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 4 Oct 2010 - 20:49

Otome Yokai Zakuro - Episode 01

As OutfOxZero notes, this is a comedy so I'll probably stick with it if they can keep the humor fresh.

I will note that when it comes to cat-ear hair, you still can't touch Kiriya Nozomi from Mayoi Neko Overrun!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 4 Oct 2010 - 22:50

Kiskaloo wrote:It's certainly not a specific hate of Sora to Otoshimono, it's just that I can't stand this type of anime where the male lead is a hyper-pervert who is then presented with an attractive girl with gallon-milk-jug breasts who will do absolutely anything his perverted head desires and he won't touch her with a ten foot pole.

I think rather than seeing horny loser dumbasses actually act more on their horniness I'd prefer it if anime just stopped using so many horny loser dumbasses as male leads. I don't relate well to characters that I consider a disgrace to the entire male half of the species. I prefer guys who have issues but aren't total losers and have hormones but aren't completely dominated by them.

Anyhow, a bit late getting into the game here because I've been busy with other things, but I'm going to get my commentary on at least a few shows up.

Iron Man: Well, there are a few things I’m unsure about with this –new characters, a few bits where Stark seemed out of character (keeping in mind I’m familiar with the movie version of Iron Man, not the comic books) and a new element that was introduced near the end of the episode. In general however, this show is looking pretty freaking awesome. I find its presence especially welcome given how much of the rest of what’s airing this season seems like otaku fodder of some kind or another.
MM: I think I ended up largely watching this one because of my brother. I had the feeling I wasn’t going to be too big on it, but some of what my brother said with regards to the show implied a commentary on the tsundere character type, and I’m a big fan of tsundere characters so it was sort of hard for me to resist watching.
Anyhow, there were actually some parts where the show actually did manage to be rather funny, but in general I didn’t like it that much. Part of that may be due to the suggestion that the show’s lead girl is a parody of tsundere characters. The term tsundere covers a broad range of characters some of whom are great and some of whom are freaking annoying. The lead girl in this show resembles the annoying type. Maybe I should be happy that someone is parodying something I find annoying but unfortunately I kind of feel like the commentary is on the tsundere character type in general without making a clear cut distinction between the great (Kaname Chidori, Natsuki Kuga, etc) and the awful (characters like Louise from Zero no Tsukaima).
Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt: This show is essentially an exercise in near total lack of restraint. This shows both in its wild and batshit crazy animation as well as the large amounts of offensive humor it contains. Unfortunately the humor is a good demonstration of the fact that a lack of restrain is not always the most effective approach –the show’s humour lacks the charisma of the offensive humor in something like Black Lagoon or Inukami and is only occasionally effective. Overall, I guess it’s an interesting show to have around just because it’s so different. It’s not really my style, but I imagine some people will really like it (particularly if they like batshit crazy animation).
Stardriver: Considering everything I’d been hearing, it was a lot less fabulous than I expected. Only towards the end did it get truly fabulous. Then again, those last few minutes were extremely fabulous. I might stick with this one for a bit to see how it goes, it actually was kind of fun although definitely rather WTF and somewhat creepy at a few points.

So basically, not looking hopeful for MM or Panty and Stocking. Stardriver I'll probably keep with for a bit, while Iron Man is definitely on my watch list. Still got to check out the show with the little sister otaku and that comedy Outfox and Kisk are talking about.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Mon 4 Oct 2010 - 23:34

I saw Iron Man and Panty and Stocking. Iron Man was gorgeous, and P&S was absolutely a riot to watch. Laughing

Kisk and I agreed that if Cartoon Network can get their hands on Panty and Stocking it'll make a huge hit on Adult Swim.

Piero wrote:I think rather than seeing horny loser dumbasses actually act more on their horniness I'd prefer it if anime just stopped using so many horny loser dumbasses as male leads.
This was probably unintentional, but it's perhaps one of the best tongue twisting phrases I've heard in a long time. sweat
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 1:15

Just watched Unlimited Blade Works. It was amazing. However, it's definitely made for the fans. It won't make any sense unless you've played the visual novel, unfortunately. Something as long as a route of F/SN just can't be compressed into an hour and 45 minutes. I had a few gripes with the movie, mostly fannish ones, but otherwise it's a great show with awesome action sequences.
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 1:31

Yosuga no Sora - Episode 01

Definite Key vibe, without the moe or the angst. Maybe a bit more like ef or sola, in that regard...

All the girls are cute, but there is the "bouncy breast syndrome" with many of them. The show is quite uncensored, as well, so said breasts are on display in all their...well...

Intriguing enough to keep going to episode 2, but I hope it doesn't slip into fail like I felt Ōkami Kakushi did.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 3:02

EF, Sola, and Yosuga no Sora are all moe IMO, they just don't use Key's "style" of moe.

Personally, I'd say that the show feels like a cross between True Tears and Myself;Yourself, which is promising although I doubt it'll be an EF-killer. It's got a nice setting/atmosphere and some good hints at forthcoming drama. The bouncing boobs and the fact that pretty much every girl so far seems to be head over heels for the new guy do detract a bit from an otherwise well executed first episode though.

Also, wow this show is sexually explicit for a non-OVA project.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 3:26

Ore no Imouto :

Liked it,especialy the chara design for some reason,can't say why.

Otome Yokai Zakuro :

Was looking forward to this because Mari Okada is doing the screenwriting and she rarely lets me down and I wasn't disapointed.Special bonus:Hanasawa Kana's voice,she's not pushing herself but I could listen to that voice all day.

Personally, I'd say that the show feels like a cross between True Tears and Myself;Yourself

Wait,I loved True tears (the reason why I'm a PA works fanboy) and didn't like Myself;Yourself at all,so I'm not sure what to make of that comment lol
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 15:36

Panty and Stocking is fucking awesome, and is the reason I'm trying to get back into watching anime. Fun stuff. Riddled with shit jokes (literally) and, while the concept of someone turning panties into guns and stockings into swords can fly over ANYONE'S head, it's Japan so I'll forgive them.

Also, Soul Eater is getting a re-run apparently, so I'm giving that a shot since anime re-runs in Japan are rare. That, and it's on Netflix now (as is all of GSG). In dub form. In HD. Yep...

I'm liking it so far. The comedy is whats bringing me back for another episode each time, and it's not your typical shounen anime where descriptions of attacks last half an episode. What I hate, though, is Maka's bitching around episode 9 or 10. I guess its necessary because she's a girl main character that needs drama more screen time.
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Forum Posts : 618

Comments : It's like a 5 hour orgasm.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 18:23

First impressions on a few more shows here:

There's No Way My Little Sister Could Be This Cute: This should not be compared to Nogazaka Haruka no Himitsu because it's not uber-lame the way that Nogazaka was. Anyhow, the first episode was okay, although I'm not sure whether it's going to hold up well for very long. Will probably follow for a few episodes to see how things go.
Otome Yokai Zakuro: This show was pretty so-so. Not really interesting enough for me to continue watching it.
Yosuga no Sora: My early impressions of this show was that it had really nice artwork, somewhat slow pacing, and a little sister character who is is awfully bitchy. Then I got into the later parts of the episode with the nudity, incest, and that one character masturbating because of her poor luck in trying to get some. I was initially going to continue watching the show to see where things went since some of the girls seemed like they might have potential. Now... well, you know that phenomenon where you're driving by a bad car accident and you think you should look away but you're drawn into looking anyway? Laughing

So I guess at this point I'm pretty much guaranteed to watch Amagami SS (which is continuing from last season), Index II (haven't watched it yet but I probably will -I like Misaka, after all), and Iron Man. Stuff I'm planning to watch more of and see how things go are Stardriver, There's No Way My Little Sister Could Be This Cute, and Yosuga no Sora. We'll see how many of the shows from the second group survive the next few weeks.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 19:00

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo:

Meh......yeah,just meh
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 12:06

Shinryaku! Ika Musume - Episode 01

I declare this the best show of the Fall 2010 season for the OP theme, if nothing else:

Ika Musume is also brain-meltingly cute.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Fri 8 Oct 2010 - 14:33; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 16:02

omg thanks kisk,I hadn't noticed this show

so I googled it
staff looked awsome
It had some of my favorite seyuus
so I watched

me after seeing the show: Full of Win
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 16:48

Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge- Being the second season of Arakawa, the series still has me giddy as a schoolgirl special thanks to the antics of the bridge residents pushing Kou's buttons.

Bakuman- Plan to give this series a few more episodes to see if it's worth committing to. The series looked like it would be on the mundane side until the over-the-top declaration from the male lead at the end of the episode left me uncertain what to think of it.

Psychic Detective Yakumo- Another series I will give a few episodes to see if it's worthwhile. The male lead doesn't seem to show much change in expressions and demeanor, making his personality seem a bit hollow. Plus, the villain for the episode was quite shallow being nothing more than a mindless killer. Still, I'd like to know how the male lead deals with his life when he interacts with spirits of the undead.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 20:21

I haven't really watched a proper harem show before so for variety's sake I thought that I'd give Solitude a whirl. I must say that it looks absolutely lovely with lavish art which more than makes up for the sedentary movement, and the soundtrack is gentle and beguiling, too. The storyline was a little difficult to take serioiusly... maybe this is par for the course in shows of the genre, but I really couldn't help put giggle and snigger through most of the episode about how quickly they start setting up the gaggle of cuddly and comely girls... who are all antsy and itching to yank down twin-ahoge boy's trousers (and yes, the Girl Next Door and the Meido were both titty-tastic). Still, those faded out towards the end of the episode when it began exposing the incest angle between the siblings; I thought that it was skilfully handled, with Sora's hallucination both demonstrating the choking intensity of her obsession and also that it's something twisted and corrosive. That segment was actually quite good drama, and given Haru's evident awareness of (and aversion to) his sister's feeling I'm genuinely intrigued to see where they take it.

Anyone want to start a book on a stab-happy yandere ending? Current odds are 8-3. Wink

Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 21:18

I think School Days has given a lot of people unrealistic expectations about the odds of a yandere ending, so you know where I stand.

And yeah, the way every girl suddenly acted like they had a sudden nervous crush on the guy except the super energetic airhead who was practically jumping on him was snicker worthy. I mean, I can see why most of the girls would be interested in him, since he's a newcomer in a small town, but love at first sight? Even most other harem shows try and play it more realistic.

They did drop a lot of the subtlety in favour of vulgarity for the "after episode segment" bit, but that was mainly due to the shift from serious to humourous, I think.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0 on Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 22:57; edited 1 time in total
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 22:36

Totoum wrote:omg thanks kisk,I hadn't noticed this show

so I googled it
staff looked awsome
It had some of my favorite seyuus
so I watched

me after seeing the show: Full of Win

Yes Indeed

I am pretty confident that I am going to adore this show. It reminds me of Yotsuba! and Azumanga Daioh in style, even if totally different subject matter.

Now I really wish the manga hosting sites were not all dead because I'd love to read the manga.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Thu 7 Oct 2010 - 1:18

Kiskaloo wrote:It reminds me of Yotsuba! and Azumanga Daioh in style, even if totally different subject matter.

Now I really wish the manga hosting sites were not all dead because I'd love to read the manga.

Yotsuba especialy comes to mind,in fact I think i'd be ready to read a crossover series where she decides to invade Yotsuba's house , that would be epic lol

Also according to an interview of the director,even if it's airing at 2AM he actually produced it as if it was airing in prime time as something the whole family could watch so no fanservice in sight.

Finally, I just looked at mangafox and they have it online : http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shinryaku_ika_musume/v01/c001/1.html

Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Fri 8 Oct 2010 - 2:39

Kami nomi zo shiru sekai get!
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1075

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 Fri 8 Oct 2010 - 16:43

I watched the first episode of Iron Man the other night. I agree that the ending was... odd. But I was impressed with the show as a whole, and I can't wait to see more. I"m sure it's going to be fantastic once the plot starts taking shape.
windfish55
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next