Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2010 Olympics

+8
Five_X
rusty-spring
Totoum
Awinnell
Nachtsider
Kiskaloo
boomer_gonz
Piero
12 posters

Go down

2010 Olympics Empty 2010 Olympics

Post by Piero Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 4:10

Well, I'd managed to avoid getting excited about my Province hosting the Olympics all week (things have been a bit busy with my studies), but that finally changed with the broadcast of the openning ceremonies. We had a pretty rough start to things with one of the Georgian athletes getting killed in a training accident earlier in the day and a major technical malfunction during the lighting of the cauldron. On the other hand, I was pretty darn impressed with the show we managed to put on (though I might have preferred a more traditional rendition of the national anthem). I though we'd look pretty lame after what the Chinese did for their openning two years ago, but I was actually pretty impressed. I also really liked what they did with the second stage of the cauldron lighting (we had two cauldrons -one within the stadium where the ceremony was held and another one located outdoors. The indoor one was the one that had problems). Letting the torch take a trip through busy parts of downtown Vancouver with minimal police protection was a pretty risky move, but I think it did wonders as far as the spirit of the event was concerned.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

2010 Olympics Empty Re: 2010 Olympics

Post by boomer_gonz Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 11:28

Olympics? Two words... F--K YEAH!!
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 13:52

Well it certainly wasn't Beijing, but then, can anything be?

Of course, I remember saying "Can anything beat Sydney?" as I walked out of Stadium Australia after attending that Opening Ceremony, and yet eight years later as I left Bird's Nest I was saying to myself "yeah, that was better". sweat

First off, Nikki Yanofsky should be required to sing every instance of "O Canada" going forward. Yes Indeed

I found the Cultural Section to be really good. The video projection work was really solid and Donald Sutherland was an inspired choice as the narrator. Good The Hymns of the North segment was really great - the whales were Awesome! I also liked the Rhythms of the Fall segment with the fiddler. And the wire-work and choreography of Peaks of Endeavour really impressed.

Describing Canada through a poetry slam. Brilliant.

And Bryan Adams still has it, even if his choice of song better fit 1980. Wink

Too bad Her Majesty the Queen could not make it, but she didn't do it for Sydney (which I remember at the time was a bit controversial since the Monarch or a member of the Royal Family had always opened a Summer Olympics held in a Commonwealth nation [with the exception of Melbourne in 1956], but then at the time Prime Minister John Howard was trying to toss her as Head of State and didn't want her to attend, period.).

The cauldron-lighting ceremony suffered from the malfunction of LeMay Doan's arm, but then the same thing happened at Sydney. I still think the best flame lighting ceremony in history remains Barcelona 1992 with Antonio Rebollo using a flaming arrow (even if he actually deliberately overshot the cauldron for safety reasons and it was remote lit).

All-in-all, a solid and entertaining effort by David Atkins (who directed the Sydney OC) that represented Canada well. Better than Torino (Incoming! bullets from the cyborgs), though I believe Nagano 1998 remains the best Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 14:25

Piero wrote:I thought we'd look pretty lame after what the Chinese did for their opening two years ago, but I was actually pretty impressed.
You don't have to me ashamed of anything - unlike China, Canada has its financial priorities straight. The amount of money that went into that flashy Olympics thingus could have been channeled into a shitload of far more important things, but nooooo.

Kiskaloo wrote:I believe Nagano 1998 remains the best Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony.
Amen.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 14:30

and i bet no one working in Canada was forcibly evicted to build the venues,and everyone who worked to prepare the sites were paid more than slave labour rates !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 15:37

Well when you consider Canada spent one tenth as much on their OC as China did, yeah, one can expect it to be not as ostentatious.

Then again, this is Canada's second Winter Games (and third overall), where China was celebrating their first. And Canada is already established on the world stage, where China is still trying to get out from under the shadow cast by the Western democratic industrialized powers and the Olympics were first and foremost a way for China to say "We have arrived", so they needed to be over the top.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 17:23

First gold medal for France cheers

Biathlon is a sport I've always enjoyed watching.

A thing I like about the olympics is that most of the time the athletes are not multi millionaire prima donas but just everyday people.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 19:22

Miracle of miracles! snow is falling!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 15 Feb 2010 - 5:48

You mean like the real stuff and not delivered? 2010 Olympics Icon_razz
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 15 Feb 2010 - 11:09

It actually was falling from the sky!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 15 Feb 2010 - 15:05

SWEEET!!! Good
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 16 Feb 2010 - 15:05

So now they have had to postpone some of the outdoor events because it's snowing too much. ROTFL
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Tue 16 Feb 2010 - 15:47

Kiskaloo wrote:So now they have had to postpone some of the outdoor events because it's snowing too much. ROTFL

As the Chinese would say, "Beware what you wish for. But still... 2010 Olympics 65220
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 16 Feb 2010 - 16:43

Well I certainly can't watch the coverage live, since NBC is downright exploitive in how they just relentlessly focus on the "human drama" side of every fricken event. Yuck! I so frackin don't care! If I wanted their life stories, I'd watch The Biography Channel (or even The History Channel considering some of the ancient stuff they are resurrecting).

So it's "Tivo Time" so I can skip past the crap - the plus side means I can watch 8 hours of coverage in about 1 hour. Good

Man I miss CBC...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Tue 16 Feb 2010 - 20:15

So I caught some "epic" curling highlights and I have to ask: Can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on? 2010 Olympics Icon_razz The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors. 2010 Olympics 50022

In all seriousness, the closest thing I can relate it to is shuffleboard. Is it close to shuffleboard on ice?
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Tue 16 Feb 2010 - 20:18

rusty-spring wrote:The scoreboard looks like baseball, the start looks like bowling, and the rest looks like cleaning the kitchen floors.

I... I'm putting that in my signature. That is a legendary quote right there.
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 16 Feb 2010 - 20:52

Kiskaloo wrote: NBC is downright exploitive in how they just relentlessly focus on the "human drama" side of every fricken event. 2010 Olympics 692191 I so frackin don't care! If I wanted their life stories, I'd watch The Biography Channel (or even The History Channel considering some of the ancient stuff they are resurrecting).
Television has done that to nearly every sport (another reson I stopped watching NASCAR), even fight sports (i.e. boxing, MMA). How can you take fighting and make it into something sissy!?
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 17 Feb 2010 - 11:37

Professor Voodoo wrote:Television has done that to nearly every sport (another reson I stopped watching NASCAR), even fight sports (i.e. boxing, MMA). How can you take fighting and make it into something sissy!?

Well it's just so bloody annoying. Take American female snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis. She fell at Torino, but to listen to NBC's commentary, you'd think she spent her life ethnically cleansing Croats in Bosnia or some other Crime Against Humanity and winning Gold in Vancouver is the only way she can get into heaven and not burn in the Flames of Perdition for all eternity. W\'ever

Every time she is on the screen they go on and on about how she "needs to win Gold redeem herself in the eyes of her fans" and how she "has to put the pressure behind her, buckle down, and get it done." Except the only "pressure" is the bullshit you morons at NBC keep blathering on about! Angry

Alas, she lost in the second round so I guess The Reaper will be claiming her soul any moment...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Thu 18 Feb 2010 - 2:20

Kiskaloo wrote:She fell at Torino

I loved that moment,she got what she deserved for trying to show off.

Half Pipe was fun,though I wonder if Sean White is an actual human being.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Thu 18 Feb 2010 - 5:13

Kiskaloo wrote:Every time she is on the screen they go on and on about how she "needs to win Gold redeem herself in the eyes of her fans" and how she "has to put the pressure behind her, buckle down, and get it done." Except the only "pressure" is the bullshit you morons at NBC keep blathering on about! Angry
That's the same way the "economic crisis" started too. That coupled with the fact that NBC refuses to cover more than a few different types of event (which they show rounds of over and over again) has driven me away from watching the Olympics entirely. I think I'll try to find some coverage from a Canadian channel on the internet sometime...
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Feb 2010 - 8:05

The curling i could have done without it was like watching the grass grow considering i had no idea what the heck was going on but the snow boarding half pipe was awsome. Shawn whites run after cinching the gold was awsome. I have to say i agree with the earlier post more of the events and less of the human drama. if I wanted that i'd watch lifetime or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 18 Feb 2010 - 11:24

KodokuRyuu wrote:I think I'll try to find some coverage from a Canadian channel on the internet sometime...

We've been spoiled in the past here in Seattle because we get CBC (CBUT Vancouver) which had excellent Olympic coverage. Alas, CBC lost this one so now we have to wait a day for the feed from NBC even though we're less than 200km away from The Games.

crazyidiot78 wrote:The curling i could have done without it was like watching the grass grow considering i had no idea what the heck was going on...

Yeah, but what about those pants the Norwegian Men's team were wearing?

To (mis)quote the late Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack - "I bet with those pair of pants you get a free bowl of soup!"
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 1:22

There's something wrong with the iceskating rating system if you can get gold without doing a quadriple jump (that hasn't happened since 1994)

Might as well just stick to the old system.

Evgeni Plushenko's program is the only one that actually entertained me.But he's already gotten gold so I'm not going to lose sleep over it
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 13:30

Totoum wrote:There's something wrong with the iceskating rating system if you can get gold without doing a quadriple jump (that hasn't happened since 1994)

Might as well just stick to the old system.

Evgeni Plushenko's program is the only one that actually entertained me. But he's already gotten gold so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

On the flip side, the...requirements...of competition are now so high that it is not surprising when people like Lindsey Vonn admit "they focused their entire life training for this moment" (winning the Gold). Or that Chinese figure skating couple who were literally made to spend the rest of their lives together at the age of 13(?) just so they could win Olympic Gold.

Yes, you can watch the 1956 Olympics from Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy and see medal-winning performances that teenagers are doing now on ski slopes and ice rinks around the world, but at least those people had lives before the Games. I expect that was not the case for many who journeyed to Torino five decades later...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 22:50

Another thing - who the heck takes the photos of the competitors for NBC? Some Department of Motor Vehicles licensing office? I swear they look like craptastic Driver's License photos.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 23:06

Kiskaloo wrote:Another thing - who the heck takes the photos of the competitors for NBC? Some Department of Motor Vehicles licensing office? I swear they look like craptastic Driver's License photos.
It was probably this guy.
2010 Olympics Creepyct
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 1:16

Did anyone catch the 40yo skier from Finland I think it was. I realize he crashed in the Super G but still to be 40 and still able to compete at the olympic level is damn impressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 1:19

rusty-spring wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:Another thing - who the heck takes the photos of the competitors for NBC? Some Department of Motor Vehicles licensing office? I swear they look like craptastic Driver's License photos.
It was probably this guy.
2010 Olympics Creepyct
Dude looks like the only reason he's there is to shoot upskirt shots of the underage figure skaters to post on the internet.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 14:12

crazyidiot78 wrote:Did anyone catch the 40yo skier from Finland I think it was. I realize he crashed in the Super G but still to be 40 and still able to compete at the olympic level is damn impressive.

Patrick Jaerbyn of Sweden? He caught serious air before having his bell rung.

That whole Whistler course has been a nightmare. It's more ice than snow so it's like skiing on concrete and all the downhill events have seen huge crashes. I was watching the Woman's downhill the other day and that Italian competitor with the 200m faceplant was Yikes!.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 19:45

Gotta say, this is the Olympics to watch if you want to see wipeouts. The course conditions outdoors are generally so poor that nobody seems to be able to do much. I'm watching the Aerial Skiing and so far it's been mostly carnage.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 24 Feb 2010 - 12:44

Watching Kim Yu-Na of South Korea skate to music from the James Bond franchise last night, I could just see Petrushka and the other canon Generation 2's embedded in the Italian Team at Torino to help protect the Olympic Village. As a ballerina, I think she could be programmed to pull off a fair-to-middlin performance as a skater.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 12:44

Last night was pretty impressive:

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 16:41

This is what I like about this year's Olympics as (I personally) has not been seen in the Olympics for the past half decade. That whole "Go Big or Go Home" mentality.

Granted the disqualification got a straight-up 'Boo!' from me; it's been event after event of either Epic Win or Epic Fail.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Thu 25 Feb 2010 - 17:27

Last night's Olympic events were pretty exciting, I'll agree.
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Reina Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 1:01

Kim YuNa just got gold in figure skating. <3 I'm really happy about that, considering I'm her #1 stalker- fangirl.
Reina
Reina
Insane Psychopathic Loli

Female

Forum Posts : 73

Fan of : Henrietta, Claes

Original Characters : Reina/Clark

Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 11:28

Reina wrote:Kim YuNa just got gold in figure skating. <3 I'm really happy about that, considering I'm her #1 stalker- fangirl.

Yeah NBC actually started their coverage for the night noting she'd won the Gold. Way to get people to keep watching for two hours until you actually ran the tape of the event. W\'ever
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Sun 28 Feb 2010 - 22:50

CANADA WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010 Olympics Icon_cheers 2010 Olympics Icon_cheers 2010 Olympics Icon_cheers 2010 Olympics 82635
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 4:37

Five_X wrote:CANADA WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2010 Olympics Icon_cheers 2010 Olympics Icon_cheers 2010 Olympics Icon_cheers 2010 Olympics 82635

the Hockey right ?
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 5:36

Awinnell wrote:
the Hockey right ?

The whole thing actually I believe...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 12:01

Canada won the Men's Hockey Gold and reset the total for most Gold Medals won in a Winter Olympics.

The United States secured the most total medals, resetting that record, as well.

As for the Closing Ceremonies, not bad. I'm torn between Beijing and Sydney as having the best Closing Ceremonies ever. Beijing certainly had the spectacle, but Sydney closed out an Olympics to "Waltzing Matilda"!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 19:15

Yes, Canada won the Olympics, as they are based on number of gold medals. I feel nationalistic. Damn you Napoleon!!
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 20:03

Five_X wrote:Yes, Canada won the Olympics, as they are based on number of gold medals. I feel nationalistic. Damn you Napoleon!!

The Olympics hands out more than just Gold Medals, though. Smile

So Canada is third in that list, behind the USA and Germany.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down