Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles

+17
Triela
SPARTAN 119
MadHatChemist
MP5
Awinnell
0utf0xZer0
Robert Frazer
tsundere9kagami2
boomer_gonz
Five_X
KodokuRyuu
Cherubino
Piero
Sakura
rusty-spring
Kiskaloo
Ggultra2764
21 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles Empty Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles

Post by Ggultra2764 Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 22:24

The spring season's done in a few weeks so let's start to move on to discussion of upcoming summer titles. You can find a listing of upcoming TV titles for summer here.

By the looks of it, a good number of titles are focused around a horror/mystery theme with others being the usual stash of ecchi/ romantic comedy titles. Feel free to post your thoughts on the upcoming summer anime lineup.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles Empty Re: Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 22:26

Strikes Witches 2 for sure.

Seitokai Yakuindomo sounds like a variation on Seitokai no Ichizon.

Maybe Amamgami SS.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles Empty Re: Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles

Post by rusty-spring Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 22:29

Dead easy. Madhouse is doing Highschool of the Dead which means I will be watching with uncharacteristic fanboy rabidness.
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 23:44

rusty-spring wrote: Highschool of the Dead
Looking forward to this as well.
Sakura
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 23:45

Sakura wrote:

Me no like zombies, but I might have to give it a shot.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 23:46

Kiskaloo wrote:
Sakura wrote:

Me no like zombies, but I might have to give it a shot.
I don't like zombies either, but the manga so far has been interesting so I'm giving it a go.
Sakura
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 2 Jun 2010 - 23:51

I'm sort of with Kisk on something for once. High School of the Dead doesn't really sound like my cup of tea and indeed sounds kind of strange, but with all the praise I've heard for it here I may check it out.

I'll add an interest in Strike Witches 2. As terrible as Strike Witches was in some ways, it actually was pretty entertaining.

Anime No Chakra's series about some sort of occult academy doesn't sound like quite so much my thing, but I'm kind of interested based on how good Sora No Woto and Senkou No Night Raid have been.

Otherwise not a lot jumped out at me at first glance from the previews that I can remember. Might take another look though.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherubino Thu 3 Jun 2010 - 0:48

Umm hello... DIGIMON!! Hahaha!
Cherubino
Cherubino

Female

Forum Posts : 457

Fan of : Opera, Gun sports, antique guns, Final Fantasy

Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Thu 3 Jun 2010 - 1:10

Did anyone else notice that Amagami is being adapted to anime this summer? That was something that Yu worked on, right?

Bleh, not much there this season. Not certain I'll be able to suffer through the fan service in HSotD, but I'll probably give it a shot anyway. Shiki's art style interests me and I do love a good light horror, so I might try that one as well. I think Nurarihyon no Mago is on my list of "to read"s, so I may eventually pick that one up, but it looks like it has a lot of potential to just be a lame shounen.

Piero wrote:Anime No Chakra's series about some sort of occult academy doesn't sound like quite so much my thing, but I'm kind of interested based on how good Sora No Woto and Senkou No Night Raid have been.
Occult academy types do not equal magic/super power types. I enjoy series that revolve around magic, occult, myth, and other like things, but this series looks like "you're mileage may very" to me. I don't know a whole lot about the series (watched the trailer and read the ANN on it), but for some reason this series strikes me as one I wouldn't like. Unless you're into Japanese occult myths, I would say this series may not hold your interest. Not trying to diss a potentially good series, just trying to warn you that it will be nothing whatsoever like Senkou No Night Raid.

PS: If you want to get into a good starter occult series, Ghost Hunt is excellent.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sun 13 Jun 2010 - 22:30

So far, Shiki and Occult Academy have my interest for horror-themed titles and I'll give Amagami SS a shot. As long as Amagami doesn't degenerate into typical main male lead helping a bunch of helpless girls situation, then I could enjoy it.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Mon 14 Jun 2010 - 0:49

If you want an awesome occult/horror anime, try Ghost Stories. Razz
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 14 Jun 2010 - 1:21

Five_X wrote:If you want an awesome occult/horror anime, try Ghost Stories. Razz

I think one of the problems Ghost Hunt has is that it's title reminds me of that series so much. Laughing

KodokuRyou wrote:Occult academy types do not equal magic/super power types. I enjoy series that revolve around magic, occult, myth, and other like things, but this series looks like "you're mileage may very" to me. I don't know a whole lot about the series (watched the trailer and read the ANN on it), but for some reason this series strikes me as one I wouldn't like. Unless you're into Japanese occult myths, I would say this series may not hold your interest. Not trying to diss a potentially good series, just trying to warn you that it will be nothing whatsoever like Senkou No Night Raid.

I wasn't really expecting it to be and truth be told neither the promotional art nor the description appeals to me very much. It's just that the first two Anime No Chakra shows have both been at least above average, so I've been starting to associate the project with quality productions.

Also, I noticed that High School of the Dead is being produced by Madhouse, the studio that did Black Lagoon, Gunslinger Girl Season One, and Monster. That speaks well for it. Then again, they also did Kamen No Maid Guy (Masked Maid Guy -it's a comedy about an incredibly gar male combat maid that was funny to begin with but which I didn't bother to finish) and seriously botched the adaptation of Allison and Lillia (a show seems like it could have been really good) so we'll see how it goes.

On another note, anyone feel like an awful lot of the stuff that's set to air next season seems sort of copycat-ish?

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 14 Jun 2010 - 8:07

I might check out Occult Academy on booby factor alone plus horromedy has always been an oddball genre in which every title either hits it out of the park (Shaun of the Dead) or falls flat into hell (Attack of the Killer Tomatoes).

Osake Hamlet is one that I'll give a chance simply because I <3 Osaka.

Strike Witches was so full of win that Strike Witches 2 is simply a given.

And to whet my voracious Shoujo appetite, Setokai Yakuindomo. Although this seems like just another harem-anime; the premise is interesting enough to warrant a three episode trial.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 4:33

YES HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD I've been following the manga forever.
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1075

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 17:40

High School of the Dead trailer is now out.

Nice animation. Shows the gore well.

Have to say the girls don't look all that cute to my eyes, so the bouncing boobies and panty shots don't do much for me.

So I'm giving it a "pass", but for the fans, I expect you'll be pleased as the production quality looks solid.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 18:23; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 18:19

yeah theres a point where the boobies are just kinda a nuiscance/eyesore. I didn't like that about the art.
I really like the story tho and I like zombies and guns....and zombies with guns.
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1075

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 18:30

I only recently became aware of Highschool of the Dead, only really taking notice of it when they announced the anime - but after reading over the manga I've come to look forward to it with considerable anticipation. It's a really taut piece that's remained quite focused despite being published over four years with a couple of long hiatuses, there is some really powerful body horror - some of the zombie bites, particularly in the early chapters, are genuinely stomach-churning - and while there is a whole cavalcade of ripe ladies heavy with womanhood, gun nuts will be slavering just as much over the high-fidelity firearms the battles are lavished with. The characters are also pretty well-drawn - they have their basis in tropes but they respond believably to the changing situation around them, and the hero has a refreshing personality. He's not the usual insipid limp-wristed harem lead, but he's not a "GAR" beefcake either - forthright, without being fantastic.

It's also interesting for defying the usual zombie metafiction, too. In many stories zombies are used as anti-capitalist allegories, with the zombies either representing consumerism, or else the military and elites is shown up to be incompetent and incapable in the face of the shambling horde of reeking change. Highschool of the Dead does the exact opposite, however...

Spoiler:
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Thu 24 Jun 2010 - 2:22

http://s-witch.cute.or.jp/pc/mov/op.html

Strike Witches previews are out. It looks like much of what made the original, which is nice. Plus, the OP is pretty good. I'm looking forward to it! Thoughts of Summer 2010 Anime Titles 2752
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 16:00

Speaking of previews, Cat Shit One, the Gulf II update of Apocalypse Meow, was first trailered back in 2008, and is finally coming to broadcast this season. I'm quite enthusiastic about this one as well, it looks like a hoot: