Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'Ask a Question' Thread

+44
Entropy
taerKitty
imksoon
Nagneto
ChaosKin640
MadHatChemist
tremec6speed
Officer_Charon
theprodigalson
Totoum
Plaxy
maverick375
Sintendo
Jacen Starslayer
zanet
Sakura
Professor Voodoo
Five_X
Alfisti
MikhailN
Volcrim
hydra282
rusty-spring
Robert Frazer
akaciparaci
Cherubino
Secchan
SnowDream
Thanatos
Triela-Chan
West Nile
Awinnell
emperor
Whatface
Tommygunner70
Danjo3
ElfenMagix
boomer_gonz
LoC978
Ggultra2764
Kiskaloo
TTIO
tsundere9kagami2
Nachtsider
48 posters

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

The 'Ask a Question' Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: The 'Ask a Question' Thread

Post by theprodigalson Thu 30 Sep 2010 - 14:35

I love it when I see some small disturbance in the small country town I live in get a tremendous police response. I can see it now:

Two functioning ceiling fans spin furiously over the spacious office room of the precinct. Four officers are sitting around one desk, each in turn frowning silently over his hand of cards in a solemn game of Spades. Another is leaning out an open window, his forearms resting on the windowsill as smoke from the cigarette in his right hand drifts lazily in the still air. Two more men sit at a desk, staring dully at the checkers board between them while the pile of papers in the wire "In" basket shifts in the air disturbed by the fans, as if trying in vain to say "I am important!" A female officer sits at her desk in the center of the room, breaking the silence by mashing diligently on a keyboard, determined to be noticed in the male dominated occupation. Her valiant efforts go unnoticed, however, by the chief sitting in his office, blinking sleepily at a report, his head held upright by his left arm propped on the desk with his thumb hooked under his chin and his forefinger tapping lightly on his temple. The simple clock on the wall ticks away the irrefutable passage of time. The oppressive sound is the only thing that proves such a thing as "time" even exists.

A sudden rush of air shatters the scene as the door is flung open. Every head snaps up to see the rookie leaning into the room. "We got a domestic dispute on MacAllister Road!" Cards fly and chairs are thrown back as everyone in the room scrambles into action, desperate not to be the one left behind to watch the phone. The door slams behind the victors, leaving the female officer standing before her computer,grinding her teeth as the "Now saving..." bar slowly fills. Several excited whoops are heard as the Officers dash to their patrol cars, sliding over the hoods and peeling out of the garage.

theprodigalson

Forum Posts : 436

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 3:41

Does anyone know the source of this GIF?

The 'Ask a Question' Thread - Page 14 1280137834045

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Forum Posts : 880

Registration date : 2007-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 3:58

Considering the subject matter, I'm willing to bet it was from the guy responsible for RoboGeisha.

Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Forum Posts : 5722

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Wed 20 Oct 2010 - 10:20

Whatface wrote:Does anyone know the source of this GIF?

here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shyness_Machine_Girl ?

Saw the original in theatres and had a blast Very Happy , didn't like this one as much though

My question:

My boss asked me to download this vid : http://videos.france5.fr/video/iLyROoafZI8i.html

I think I found the url : http://v.kewego.com/v/5/0309/1UE2CR8J.mp4

but can't get passed the 403 error,anyone know a way I could bypass it?

Totoum

Forum Posts : 480

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Wed 20 Oct 2010 - 14:48

With regards to the SWAT question:

Standard police procedure is to try and outnumber the subject. Nowhere in my Academy training did it state that I had to fight fair. 2-on-1 is good, more is better, depending on the subject's behavior. If he fights, he's going to be in a polyester pile-up until he decides he's had enough.

SWAT is called out when the fecal matter has hit the revolving air circulator, but they are still not soldiers. They are police officers with a larger toolset, that's all. The goal of any confrontation is still the preservation of life, then worrying about securing the subject. If deadly force becomes necessary, they have a greater set of options.

But with the primary mission still being the preservation of life, the goal is to try and negotiate the subject out of his barricaded position, and convince him that if he WERE to try something stupid, it would not end well for him. It's as much a psychological tactic as it is a strategic one.

Officer_Charon

Forum Posts : 1472

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 0:51

I log on to my profile, a window shows up telling me that I can't get on the internet, because of viruses and clicking the buttons doesn't actually help.
The computer told me I should get Point"Something" to fix it and I did, but it just scans and finds some problems, but I have to pay for it to actually get rid of them.
Back to the window: When I close the window the comp kind of relogs on, and the window comes back. None of this happens to other profiles though.

hydra282
Flower Spirit

Forum Posts : 358

Registration date : 2009-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 1:03

This "Point-something" IS the virus, or spyware/malware. You can wait for someone who actually knows what they are talking about, but I would just run whatever anti-virus/anti-spyware software you use (I use AVG Free and Spybot: Search and Destroy if you don't have anything yourself and both are free).

theprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 1:07

hydra282 wrote: I log on to my profile, a window shows up telling me that I can't get on the internet, because of viruses and clicking the buttons doesn't actually help.
The computer told me I should get Point"Something" to fix it and I did, but it just scans and finds some problems, but I have to pay for it to actually get rid of them.
Back to the window: When I close the window the comp kind of relogs on, and the window comes back. None of this happens to other profiles though.
Sounds like some kind of advertising virus. It's been a long time since I've fought one of those, but here's what I did to get rid of one on a work computer...

First, find out where it lives...open up Task Manager (Control-Alt-Delete) and find it in the Processes tab. Right click on it and select Open File Location.
Once you've found its home, try to delete it. This might not work because the application is running. If so, change the file extension from .exe (or whatever it is) to .txt
Now you can delete it.
If it still won't go open the virus in Notepad and sabotage it...just type some gibberish in and it'll ruin the code. Now you can close Notepad and delete the offending file.

Hope that works...good luck!

Professor Voodoo

Forum Posts : 3428

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface Thu 21 Oct 2010 - 5:44

Totoum wrote:
Whatface wrote:Does anyone know the source of this GIF?

here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shyness_Machine_Girl ?

Saw the original in theatres and had a blast Very Happy , didn't like this one as much though
Omg. It's another Machine Girl movie?? Now this I gotta see. Thanks.

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Fri 22 Oct 2010 - 23:07

My computer's well now. There still a window that pops up saying something about "RunDLL", but it doesn't seem to hurt.
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Fan of : Henrietta! Beatrice! Elsa!

Original Characters : Zaron + Josie +

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Wed 3 Nov 2010 - 17:12

I've got a virus that I keep vaulting with AVG, but when I turn off the computer and turn it back on, it's back. It's in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RPCNETP.EXE. I found it but there's two of them, one is a DLL file and the other's an application. I can't open the app. I can open the DLL in Notepad, but the comp says it's dangerous to fiddle with it. Should I?
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 3 Nov 2010 - 20:48

hydra282 wrote:I've got a virus that I keep vaulting with AVG, but when I turn off the computer and turn it back on, it's back. It's in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RPCNETP.EXE. I found it but there's two of them, one is a DLL file and the other's an application. I can't open the app. I can open the DLL in Notepad, but the comp says it's dangerous to fiddle with it. Should I?
Not going to attempt to advise you on fiddling with files, but might it be worth having a stab with a different virus buster? I had a trojan completely ruin my plans for tuesday so I spent the day first trying to remove it and then repairing the damage done. With that I found Malwarebytes was the one that got rid of the thing, and it's free. Had to work it in conjuction with (newly re-installed) Nortons. That could prevent the trojan from running at startup long enough to install and run Malwarebytes to get rid of it.

Also cleared up a similar sounding "run DLL" message that I can only assume was the remnants of another virus.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Wed 3 Nov 2010 - 21:13

hydra282 wrote:I've got a virus that I keep vaulting with AVG, but when I turn off the computer and turn it back on, it's back. It's in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RPCNETP.EXE. I found it but there's two of them, one is a DLL file and the other's an application. I can't open the app. I can open the DLL in Notepad, but the comp says it's dangerous to fiddle with it. Should I?

Do you by any chance have a program called Lojack for Laptops on your computer?

From what I've looked up, the RPCNETP.EXE file is part of the program. Lojack is a security program made to track down stolen laptops by emitting data from it whenever someone makes use of an Internet connection with the laptop. Trying to get rid of the file using anti-virus programs or going through registry files will do no good as the file is embedded within the BIOS of the computer and will automatically restore itself upon reboot. Your only options of keeping it from being a nuisance would be to either set up your anti-virus program or firewall to make an exception to the file whenever it loads up or to contact the company creating Lojack, Absolute Software Corp., to remove it from your computer the next time one of their agents is in their technical center.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Thu 11 Nov 2010 - 14:37

Uuuuuuugg! The computer hasn't been having problems lately, but I turned it on yesterday after my brother had used it the night before and it wouldn't work. It shows the Toshiba logo and after that it's just dark with a blinking white _ at the top left. Just like my old computer. My brother's curse strikes again. Hissy fit
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson Fri 12 Nov 2010 - 17:10

Seems to me like you are having some serious virus issues Hydra...I would rethink what I click on the internet at this point. And maybe pass these lessons along to the ever-meddlesome younger brother Smile
theprodigalson
theprodigalson

Male

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Sat 13 Nov 2010 - 12:33

................................._uck....................
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sun 14 Nov 2010 - 1:47

Or better yet, set up a password on your computer so no siblings can log onto it when you're not around. I do it with my laptop.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Tue 16 Nov 2010 - 12:21

Well, my friend reinstalled windows, so it's working now, but again the virus STILL seems to persist. NO

Last edited by hydra282 on Tue 16 Nov 2010 - 16:57; edited 1 time in total
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 16 Nov 2010 - 12:22

Might be a boot sector / MBR virus.

You'll probably need to delete the entire partition map and then create a new partition and perform a standard (not "fast") format and then install Windows.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface Sun 21 Nov 2010 - 6:51

Is anyone here a military aviation expert?

In Black Hawk Down (both the book and the film), the helicopters are given call-signs. Super 6-1, Super 6-2 etc. So I'm wondering if this also applies to jet fighters? Note I'm not talking about personal call-signs of the pilots.

So for example, how would you address a flight of F-18s and the individual craft within that flight?

At the end of Generation Kill episodes they play recordings of real radio chatter. In one of them, I think they referred to a flight of A-10s as Dragon 1-5. Now I would assume that Dragon 1, would refer to the flight, and the 1-5 would refer an A-10 within that flight. But it seemed that they were referring to the entire flight as Dragon 1-5, so I'm confused...
Whatface
Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Fan of : Henrietta, Rico, Triela, Aurora

Original Characters : Muffin

Comments : Why can't I leave this blank?

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 21 Nov 2010 - 9:27

Military flights often use more than one call sign during a flight. Administrative call signs are used with air traffic control facilities similar to those of commercial operators. e.g. Navy Alpha-Golf-Two-One, Reach-Three-One-Seven-Niner Two.

Tactical call signs are used during tactical portions of a flight, and they often indicate the mission of the flight and/or an aircraft's position in a formation.

For example, Canadian Air Force 442 Rescue Squadron, based at Comox, British Columbia uses the call sign "Snake 90x" depending on the tail number of the helicopter: 901, 902, etc. When tasked on a search and rescue (SAR) mission, however, the aircraft call sign becomes "Rescue 90x".

Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface Mon 22 Nov 2010 - 9:44

Hmm... ok. But in the example I mentioned above, how the flight of A-10s was called Dragon 1-5. Would the numbers be representing anything or is it just random?
Whatface
Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 22 Nov 2010 - 10:35

Whatface wrote:Hmm... ok. But in the example I mentioned above, how the flight of A-10s was called Dragon 1-5. Would the numbers be representing anything or is it just random?

Dragon would be the name of the flight, with each plane in that flight being numbered 1 (lead plane) through 5.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface Mon 22 Nov 2010 - 21:07

So I'm guessing the "5" in "Dragon 1-5" would be the 5th plane within the flight? What about the "1" though?

I apologize if I have no idea what I'm on about.
Whatface
Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 22 Nov 2010 - 21:11

Whatface wrote:So I'm guessing the "5" in "Dragon 1-5" would be the 5th plane within the flight?

Correct.

Whatface wrote:What about the "1" though?

That would be the plane of the Flight Leader (the pilot in command of the group).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Mon 22 Nov 2010 - 21:21

The "1" would indicate that this is the first Dragon Flight, i.e. the first flight from the squadron designated as "Dragon." Subsequent flights would be labelled "Dragon 2-x," etc
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface Mon 22 Nov 2010 - 22:01

Kiskaloo wrote:
Whatface wrote:What about the "1" though?

That would be the plane of the Flight Leader (the pilot in command of the group).
I'm not sure I quite understand. I understand that the lead would be designated the number 1. But there are two numbers after Dragon. Perhaps I worded my question badly? When I say Dragon 1-5, I mean Dragon One-Five, not Dragon One to Five. Puzzled

Officer_Charon wrote:The "1" would indicate that this is the first Dragon Flight, i.e. the first flight from the squadron designated as "Dragon." Subsequent flights would be labelled "Dragon 2-x," etc
Ah ok, it's as I suspected then. But is there a source for this information?
Whatface
Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Thu 25 Nov 2010 - 1:56

Hi, when I look at the poca felicita image album, I noticed Triela is not in white face, but the rest are. I wonder why any of them are and why not T?
Also, in GSG wiki it said under the OC characters: 'The following cyborg characters are noted here as copyrighted works by their authors and artists in the GsG Fan Fiction Genre, Listed in alphabetical order.'
Does that mean that some of these stories have been brought to the copyright office? Can someone make a character and story based on a another story that has itself been previously copyrighted? I mean if I add a partner to Batman after Robin dies, say for example a girl named Lisa and then say that Lisa is my copy righted character that interacts with regulars from Gotham City, (folks who exist in the DC 'universe' or 'world') is not my creation ultimately the property of DC by default? Just curious. Puzzled
I personally prefer to consider everything I make Gunslinger girl related as Mister Aida's property.
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 6 Dec 2010 - 12:06

Why is there no anime of Vocaloid?

Considering half the female teenagers in Japan cosplay as one of the characters, you would think the show would score a 100 share with that audience and therefore advertisers would be killing themselves to be a part of it?
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Sun 16 Jan 2011 - 0:10

I've got a pinkish spot with dead skin all around it on the border of my leg and groin. Should I be worried?
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sun 16 Jan 2011 - 1:47

Sounds like a spider bite, without seeing a picture. Any pain/tenderness to the area? How large of a ring of dead flesh.

Do you live in an area with Brown Recluse spiders?
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Sun 16 Jan 2011 - 3:48

It's quarter-sized, but it doesn't feel different. I don't know what kinds of spiders are around here, but ants crawl on me without my knowing until one gets on my computer.
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 16 Jan 2011 - 7:18

it could be insect bite,or sting or ringworm
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jan 2011 - 8:30

Life can suck most of the time... : tsundere9kagami2

My question:
Would You like to be an assassin?

I'm guessing it just a insect bite (maybe spider?) How did that happen?? (If you don't mind me asking...) : hydra282

Idk maybe there that cool to be in : Kiskaloo

Back to top Go down

Post by hydra282 Wed 19 Jan 2011 - 0:16

"Lyme disease is an infection that is spread by the bite of ticks infected with the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi.
Symptoms include fatigue, headache, stiff neck, fever, muscle or joint pain and swelling, and sometimes an expanding red rash. If a rash does develop, it may look like a target or "bull's-eye" in some people. Lyme disease can be difficult to diagnose because its symptoms are similar to many other conditions, and tests do not always detect the bacteria.
Lyme disease is usually effectively treated with a short course of antibiotics. If not treated promptly, however, it can lead to complications involving the heart, nervous system, joints, and skin within weeks, months, or even years later."

It doesn't itch, but my chest has been getting some little shocks or something. What do you guys think?

Edit: Never mind. This ain't it.
hydra282
hydra282
Flower Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Sat 29 Jan 2011 - 21:25

Hi, now that our gallery no longer accepts pictures, does our fan club website still have the link feature?
I'd like to post some GSG stuff I've done. Very Happy
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 29 Jan 2011 - 21:56

tremec6speed wrote:Hi, now that our gallery no longer accepts pictures, does our fan club website still have the link feature?
I'd like to post some GSG stuff I've done. Very Happy
The 'Ask a Question' Thread - Page 14 Captur10
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Sun 30 Jan 2011 - 21:58

Hey, that's perty ambitious ain't it?
Puzzled
Thank you, Professor Voodoo!
lol
You can still work that old black magic!
cheers head bang
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 20:45

Just finished reading a book about POWs, including those taken prisoner by Imperial Japan during the Second World War, and Communist troops in Korea and Vietnam.

I don't get it. If you're going to detain someone only to brutally torture them to death over several months, why not just shoot them outright on the battlefield? Quite a few of these prisoners were of no intelligence value to their captors and I can therefore see no reason why they remained alive in captivity and a drain on resources.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 21:01

Nachtsider wrote: If you're going to detain someone only to brutally torture them to death over several months, why not just shoot them outright on the battlefield?
Slave labor, medical experimentation & outright sadism for a start.

If the topic interests you see if you can get a copy of a 2008 Russian film called Philosophy of a Knife. Like all things Russian it's long, bleak & difficult to watch, but it is a reasonably honest (despite the fact that most of the actors are westerners) depiction of Imperial Japanese medical experimentation on civilian prisoners.

I should stress the difficult to watch part...it is very horrific.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 21:12

Huh. I'm very familiar with Unit 731 and its misdeeds, but had no idea that a film had been made about it. Thanks for the recommendation, man - I'll go check it out as soon as I can.

Slave labor can actually be quite unproductive. It was estimated that the Death Railway in Burma might have been completed in half the time or less had the Japanese used their own combat or civilian engineers with mechanized equipment instead of POWs. And not all POWs ended up in Shiro Ishii's grubby paws as experimental subjects. I guess the sadism argument probably flies, but there must have been a whole bunch of muddle-headed individuals at the top to think that satisfying bloodthirsty caprices outweighed the fact that manpower and resources would be required to keep prisoners in line.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 18 Feb 2011 - 21:21

Not so much asking a question as perhaps answering one:

Yes, you can run a USB thumb drive through the wash and then the dryer and it works fine. sweat
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 18 Feb 2011 - 22:15

Kiskaloo wrote:Not so much asking a question as perhaps answering one:
Yes, you can run a USB thumb drive through the wash and then the dryer and it works fine. The 'Ask a Question' Thread - Page 14 61015
Odd coincidence...the oil company rep on my current job told me the exact same thing earlier today...and showed me the thumb drive.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 0:53

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:Not so much asking a question as perhaps answering one:
Yes, you can run a USB thumb drive through the wash and then the dryer and it works fine. The 'Ask a Question' Thread - Page 14 61015
Odd coincidence...the oil company rep on my current job told me the exact same thing earlier today...and showed me the thumb drive.

Can't speak for the dryer, but I've run my work thumb drive through the wash and it ended up coming out fine.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Tue 1 Mar 2011 - 1:11

I've run my thumb drive through both on numerous occasion, and it works fantastically, still.
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Tue 1 Mar 2011 - 4:48

Agreed. I've washed multiple USB drives of varying intervals and the only one that didn't make it was the one I fashioned myself out of an old Superman figurine miniature.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Tue 1 Mar 2011 - 16:52

I seen this happen to many students at work and college, and its a 50/50 propostion. It depends on how water-tight the device is.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 6:18

I put this question out to anyone with the relevant knowledge: where would large super-container ships coming from Japan dock to unload in Italy? Right now I'm working off of the assumption that they would dock at Genoa, since it's listed as Italy's largest and busiest port.
ChaosKin640
ChaosKin640

Male

Forum Posts : 417

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire & Alessandro

Original Characters : Jacob, Sophia, Melanie, Costante, Nina, Enzo and Lucretia

Registration date : 2010-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 6:36

ChaosKin640 wrote:I put this question out to anyone with the relevant knowledge: where would large super-container ships coming from Japan dock to unload in Italy? Right now I'm working off of the assumption that they would dock at Genoa, since it's listed as Italy's largest and busiest port.
What class are the ships? Post-Panamax? Super-Post-Panamax? I assume we're not talking about the new Chinamax dry bulk carriers though.

According to the ever reliable (rolls eyes) Wikipedia, Italy has two properly deep water ports (ie, ports that will handle a Panamax class ship, fully laden... I assume without being tidally restricted... simply because Gladstone is classified as a deep water port... and we're only tidally restricted post-panamax) at Gioia Tauro and Cagliari. Gioia Tauro apparently is the largest container terminal in Italy so...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 15:38

Whichever class of container ship they would most likely transport cars on. It's not super important, as it only pertains to a minor detail in a comment that Sandro makes to Yurik, but I'd still like to be as accurate as possible in my information. So, Gioia Tauro you say...?
ChaosKin640
ChaosKin640

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 15:59

ChaosKin640 wrote:So, Gioia Tauro you say...?

Yes, I recommend Gioia Tauro. It's the primary container port for Italy and will likely have a role in Pactio as it is the primary import point used by the 'Ndrangheta for cocaine shipments.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 17:32

ChaosKin640 wrote:Whichever class of container ship they would most likely transport cars on. It's not super important, as it only pertains to a minor detail in a comment that Sandro makes to Yurik, but I'd still like to be as accurate as possible in my information. So, Gioia Tauro you say...?
Umm, does it have to be containers? Because if it's mass imports from Japan then a car-carrier would be the more logical choice. In that case you'll need somewhere with a RORO (roll-on roll-off) facility. I'm not sure if Gioia Tauro has one of those, but I think I saw mention that Cagliari does.

If you need containers though, yes, I'd stick with Gioia Tauro.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 17:41

Looking at the sat view of Gioia Tauro, I see a car storage area and a RO-RO capable dock.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 19:09

Great, Gioia Tauro it is then. Thanks guys. Like I said, it's not a very important detail, but I do like to be as accurate as possible.
ChaosKin640
ChaosKin640

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 May 2011 - 18:02

Anyone remember which episode of GSG 2nd season had the fight scene with the guys in the gas masks?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 31 May 2011 - 6:04

Was leafing through a copy of the Geneva Conventions, when I saw the rule that officer POWs cannot be made to work. What the hell is this bull?
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 31 May 2011 - 6:56

Nachtsider wrote:Was leafing through a copy of the Geneva Conventions, when I saw the rule that officer POWs cannot be made to work. What the hell is this bull?
That provision makes it illegal to utilize captured soldiers as slave labor to support the war effort of their enemies...a la Bridge on the River Kwai.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 31 May 2011 - 7:48

Such a ruling strikes me as ridiculous. A POW should, like any other prisoner, be expected to be put to work. And the whole 'officers are exempt' thing leaves me scratching my head even more.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 31 May 2011 - 8:49

Nachtsider wrote:Such a ruling strikes me as ridiculous. A POW should, like any other prisoner, be expected to be put to work. And the whole 'officers are exempt' thing leaves me scratching my head even more.

Well the GCs were written by the upper class of society and they were all officers, so... Wink
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next