Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers]

+7
Robert Frazer
Nachtsider
Volcrim
Awinnell
boomer_gonz
Totoum
Kiskaloo
11 posters

Go down

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] Empty World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers]

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 15:06

I imagine there are a number of smashed televisions in the SWA compound as 78th ranked New Zealand held 5th ranked Italy to a 1-1 tie. NZ had like four total shots on goal while Italy had north of 40, but Italy just could not get through NZ's defenses.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] Empty Re: World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers]

Post by Totoum Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 15:35

France might be having one of the biggest meltdowns ever,just when you think you've hit rock bottom they prove you wrong

After news broke out that Anelka insulted Coach Domenech he was asked to leave the team by the french federation,the players disagreed with the move and out of protest the players refused to practice today,when the head of the the french delegation learned the news,he decided he had seen enough and announced his resignation.

2002 is nothing compared to this.This is one EPIC fail.

On the US side of things,there was also an epic fail from the ref that cost the US a 3rd goal and 2 crutial points.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] Empty Re: World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers]

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 15:39

Yeah, Kara and Noël are both tearing their hair out with Italy and France doing so lamely. Anyone know how Japan is doing?
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 15:44

They need a win against Denmark to advance.

Personally, I'm on edge for the next two days in hopes that my beloved Beaners take out Uruguay for a top seed.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 15:56

Englands team royally sucks,if they don't win their next game they're going to be coming home
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 16:01

Awinnell wrote:Englands team royally sucks,if they don't win their next game they're going to be coming home

France,England,Italy,Germany,Spain...

Old europe is really sucking thus far,those 5 teams have combined for 1 win,5 draws and 3 losses
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 16:57

They were plagued by injuries from the start and it just steamrolled downhill from there. Much of South America isn't much better.

This is why I'm so excited about this years cup, Mexico has a honest to God shot at the cup!!

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] 678465
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcrim Mon 21 Jun 2010 - 20:56

Kiskaloo wrote:I imagine there are a number of smashed televisions in the SWA compound as 78th ranked New Zealand held 5th ranked Italy to a 1-1 tie. NZ had like four total shots on goal while Italy had north of 40, but Italy just could not get through NZ's defenses.

and alot of happy Kiwis!
Volcrim
Volcrim

Male

Forum Posts : 80

Fan of : GSG and other inferior anime

Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 22 Jun 2010 - 22:49

I swear, the North Korean team are gonna end up shoveling shit and salt in some gulag.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 22 Jun 2010 - 22:52

Well some of them are evidently ringers from foreign countries, but I am sure the coach will be shot. I just found it amusing they had to pay Chinese nationals to play the role of North Korean fans because no North Korean could afford to fly to JNB.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 22 Jun 2010 - 22:54

They did? Oh man, that's hilarious. World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] 684325
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 23 Jun 2010 - 11:55

US wins with a goal in the 90th minute to advance!

England also wins and advances.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 23 Jun 2010 - 12:45

Mexico lost to Uruguay, but still advances on points. Man, I really hoped they would win their group thus getting a better seed.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Wed 23 Jun 2010 - 15:03

Nachtsider wrote:They did? Oh man, that's hilarious. World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] 684325

What I heard was that since they don't allow people to leave the country,they preffered hiring chinese people instead of making an exception to the rule.
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 23 Jun 2010 - 15:21

It reminds me of the 2002 Commonwealth Games, held in Manchester - half of the Sierra Leone team actually melted away and went underground in England rather than go back to Africa!
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 23 Jun 2010 - 22:20

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 24 Jun 2010 - 21:35

Yu seems pretty happy with the results so far:

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] 10_06_25
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 24 Jun 2010 - 22:21

Robert Frazer wrote:Yu seems pretty happy with the results so far:

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] 10_06_25

Well the Japanese team have done well for themselves...

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 26 Jun 2010 - 18:01

And now it's Ghana that gets the overtime goal to defeat the US 2-1.

So I'm back to supporting Japan.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 27 Jun 2010 - 14:11

England lose 4-1 to Germany,told you we sucked !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 5:11

What makes it worse is that we were disallowed a perfectly legitimate goal... BUT we had to go and ruin even that, and lose the moral victory as well as the actual one. If the match had ended 2-1 we could have kicked up a bloody scandal with a stolen tournament, and it would have entered the annals alongside Maradona's Hand Of God as examples of blatant grudgeworthy unfairness. However, when we went on to concede two more goals we lost even that excuse - England were just crap. You know that you're bad when even the BBC Sport commentators turn on you...!

The incompetent linesmen definitely tainted the game and changed its timbre - and that, combined with the referee actually getting in the way of the ball at one point, must mean a severe demotion for the refereeing team. Nonetheless, England seemed to have the wind knocked out of their sails by the episode when they really should have just knuckled down and got on with it.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 7:48

I was thinking of you two as I watched that game...hope you were both drunk at least.
For the next 20 minutes or so it seemed that England would respond to the injustice by taking the game over, but things just fell apart in the second half.

One silver lining is that this very public screw-up by FIFA might finally provide enough public outcry to bring video replay into international matches.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 10:48

One silver lining is that this very public screw-up by FIFA might finally provide enough public outcry to bring video replay into international matches.

Hmm. There was an apology from the FIFA president for the error and I understand that the referee and linesmen for the game have been dismissed from the tournament, but I can't see it going any further than that. There'll be a lot of hemming and hawing but not much else.

The main argument against technology in the game is that it would disrupt the flow - football is a very cosntant and fluid game unlike the stop-start nature of many other sports, and the theory goes that appeals to the fourth official would slow the game too much and rob it of its essential quality. I don't really agree, though - at the goal-line, there's usually delays of ten or twenty seconds or so while the goalkeeper gets a hand on the ball and so on anyway, which is easily enough time to review a clip and radio a decision to the referee without impinging on gameplay.

In an ironic twist on the saga, though, I was watching the news yesterday and apparently while the England squad has come back home the English referee in the World Cup has been praised for his perceptivenes and quality and is being tipped to officiate at the final!

In any case, I don't want to ring home for a few days... my brother's a referee himself and I'm sure that this whole farrago will be leaving him sick as a parrot for at least a week...
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 12:20

apparently Nigeria's Ruler has banned its national team from overseas games for the next 2 years as a result of their poor performance in the world cup !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 12:30

Awinnell wrote:apparently Nigeria's Ruler has banned its national team from overseas games for the next 2 years as a result of their poor performance in the world cup !
He could always invent a new game that nobody else plays, and then declare it the "World Series" of Nigeriaball.

Oh wait...the US already does that.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 13:13

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Awinnell wrote:apparently Nigeria's Ruler has banned its national team from overseas games for the next 2 years as a result of their poor performance in the world cup !
He could always invent a new game that nobody else plays, and then declare it the "World Series" of Nigeriaball.

almost, Baseball has roots in several old European games,Basketball is the one truly American created ball game thanks to Dr James Naismith !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 13:38

Awinnell wrote:
almost, Baseball has roots in several old European games,Basketball is the one truly American created ball game thanks to Dr James Naismith !
There are plenty of examples...the ones you cited, American Football, circle-track motor racing (i.e. NASCAR). Americans don't seem to embrace a sport unless they get to win every time. It's disappointing...I'd rather see the US engage in international sport to a greater degree.

We haven't had an F1 World Champion since 1978 (and he was Italian born).
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 14:02

Well...there was that one time we kicked around the Soviet's in hockey. sweat
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 15:08

I still like John Stewart's suggestion that if the US had won the World Cup, the world would have had to call the game "soccer" for four years. Smile

As for Formula One, there are kids who have the drive to compete, but since auto racing in the US is NASCAR, finding the support to move up the ladder is difficult, especially since said ladder is effectively concentrated in Europe. Even when you effectively get a free ride through the ranks and into F1 (as Scott Speed did thanks to Red Bull), it's a cut-throat business.

I also think Michael Andretti soured things on both sides of the Atlantic for a long time. Part of it was the testing ban instituted when he went over, which hurt. But it also didn't help he decided to stay in PA and commute to McLaren once a week on Concorde.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 30 Jun 2010 - 22:55

Professor Voodoo wrote:

Don't worry, the US's not Robinson Crusoe there... Australia has a habit of making up its own sports as well (though I don't think we have a "world series" yet).

What we wound up with was AFL, which, despite living in the country I've yet to quite figure out how to play... things I do know:

- You can't run more than ten paces holding the ball, so you have to dribble like in basketball... that's more difficult that in sounds as you're playing on an un-even grass field and the ball is oval.

- You have to kick goals, running through the goalposts doesn't count.

- You are allowed to run up other peoples' spines to get to the ball first:

Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 2 Jul 2010 - 12:06

Netherlands-2 Brazil-1...now that's an upset! Unless there's someone I've forgotten, Tommygunner is the last of the frequent posters who still has his team in this.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 0:44

Alfisti wrote:What we wound up with was AFL, which, despite living in the country I've yet to quite figure out how to play... things I do know:

- You can't run more than ten paces holding the ball, so you have to dribble like in basketball... that's more difficult that in sounds as you're playing on an un-even grass field and the ball is oval.

- You have to kick goals, running through the goalposts doesn't count.

- You are allowed to run up other peoples' spines to get to the ball first:
That's awesome. I need to make that game popular in the US.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 9:43

Australian Rules Football used to be shown on cable here in Seattle back in the 1990s on Saturday mornings and I used to love watching it.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 9:56

Possibly OT, but I bought a vuvuzela today. Now I'm enjoying the hell out of walking through strange neighborhoods and annoying random men, women, children and stray dogs.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela-Chan Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 12:12

Yay for Germany! I thought they would lose this game but it´s nice that they won ^__^
Oh, Nachtsider be careful with that vuvuzela! My sisters friend brought one and if she uses it one more time I swear to god I`ll strangle her with that damn thing x__X
Triela-Chan
Triela-Chan
The Sakurazukamori

Female

Forum Posts : 786

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire

Original Characters : ääähm...

Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 12:23

Triela-Chan wrote: My sisters friend brought one and if she uses it one more time I swear to god I`ll strangle her with that damn thing x__X
Strangled with a vuvuzela...that's one hell of a death. I'm not sure how exactly you'd go about that so make sure to post pics!

The real heartbreaker match was the Uruguay-Ghana contest...I really thought the crowd favorite could take it but too many missed oportunities in the last few minutes. It was still the most exciting game I've seen yet this year.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 13:25

Professor Voodoo wrote:The real heartbreaker match was the Uruguay-Ghana contest...I really thought the crowd favorite could take it but too many missed oportunities in the last few minutes. It was still the most exciting game I've seen yet this year.

Since Ghana punted the US, I shed no tears watching them go down.

Netherlands defeating Brazil is what shocked me.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 15:46

Nachtsider wrote:Possibly OT, but I bought a vuvuzela today. Now I'm enjoying the hell out of walking through strange neighborhoods and annoying random men, women, children and stray dogs.

Annoying/Terrorizing stray daogs/cats has always been a p(ass)time of mine. Evil
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 5 Jul 2010 - 8:30

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1292113/Teenage-football-fan-shot-dead-neighbour-annoying-playing-vuvuzela.html

Uh-oh.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 5 Jul 2010 - 23:34

parent of shot kid wrote:'If he thought my son was a criminal he should have fired a warning shot, not shot him three times.'
That person has obviously never been to Texas.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 6 Jul 2010 - 1:30

KodokuRyuu wrote:
parent of shot kid wrote:'If he thought my son was a criminal he should have fired a warning shot, not shot him three times.'
That person has obviously never been to Texas.

Even in Texas most criminals are unlikely to be trying to rob your house whilst blowing a 140 decibel trumpet !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 11 Jul 2010 - 17:02

And Spain defeats the Netherlands 1-0 to win the 2010 World Cup, scoring in the 116th minute.

As an FC Barcelona man, this works. cheers
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 11 Jul 2010 - 17:32

I'm pleased that this didn't end in another shoot-out like 2006. It wasn't the prettiest game, but it's always better to end it will all players on the field.

Holland must be lamenting those two breakaway opportunities that failed to result in a goal.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 12 Jul 2010 - 0:51

Viva Espana !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 12 Jul 2010 - 1:41

Paul the Octopus = God.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 12 Jul 2010 - 23:47

World Cup 2010 [Includes Match Result Spoilers] Octopu10
I don't know whether to file this under idiotic or insane but Paul the octopus has received death threats.

I guess you're not truly famous until somebody wants to kill you.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 14 Jul 2010 - 14:30

I was reading this fortnight's Private Eye (a British news magazine) and it made a particularly astute observation about how Nike has a lot of egg on its face after this World Cup.

In the runup to the tournament Nike debuted a glamorous marketing campaign, centring on this filmic ad-event: