Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World News Thread

+50
A Kool Poptart
JameyoftheMegacosmos
Vett
Il Direttore
Hamster
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika
mysterybad
Lyndist
Thescarredman
Three Dog
Deathly-Hallows
tremec6speed
Triela
Rex Invictus
Tulip
MP5
TTIO
NeverSleep
ChaosKin640
MadHatChemist
SPARTAN 119
Sintendo
windfish55
overkill13
Officer_Charon
tsundere9kagami2
Nuke is Good
theprodigalson
Cherubino
rusty-spring
Five_X
Tommygunner70
Robert Frazer
Professor Voodoo
Alfisti
Awinnell
Ggultra2764
West Nile
ElfenMagix
boomer_gonz
maverick375
0utf0xZer0
sasahara17
Piero
Danjo3
Nachtsider
Toma-kun
Kiskaloo
MikhailN
LoC978
54 posters

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

The World News Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The World News Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 12:16

mysterybad wrote:What do you mean about a "second Vietnam." El Conservatore?

In 1950, the United States created the Military Assistance Advisory Group to assist the French in the First Indochina War. The MAAG provided weapons, advised on strategy, and trained Vietnamese soldiers. This was the first step that led to the full commitment of the United States military in what became the Vietnam War.

Personally, I do not feel that this assistance will lead to the US becoming deeply militarily involved in Syria. The Vietnam War was driven by the policy of containing Communism and the "The Domino Theory", which postulated that if one state in a region came under the influence of communism, then the surrounding countries would follow in a domino effect.

This time, Communism is dead and while we have seen a "domino effect" with the Arab Spring, it's been mostly a positive thing for the populations involved. The US also did not send combat troops to Libya for their civil war, so I would expect the same with Syria - even more so because of Syria's proximity to Israel and the desire of the US to not be seen as acting as a proxy for Israel.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 13:09

Kiskaloo wrote:
mysterybad wrote:What do you mean about a "second Vietnam." El Conservatore?

In 1950, the United States created the Military Assistance Advisory Group to assist the French in the First Indochina War. The MAAG provided weapons, advised on strategy, and trained Vietnamese soldiers. This was the first step that led to the full commitment of the United States military in what became the Vietnam War.

Personally, I do not feel that this assistance will lead to the US becoming deeply militarily involved in Syria. The Vietnam War was driven by the policy of containing Communism and the "The Domino Theory", which postulated that if one state in a region came under the influence of communism, then the surrounding countries would follow in a domino effect.

This time, Communism is dead and while we have seen a "domino effect" with the Arab Spring, it's been mostly a positive thing for the populations involved. The US also did not send combat troops to Libya for their civil war, so I would expect the same with Syria - even more so because of Syria's proximity to Israel and the desire of the US to not be seen as acting as a proxy for Israel.

*nods* I was going to mention that I was probably being hyperbolic in that initial comment. It's unlikely that actual soldiers will be sent in a full on military capacity, but it seems likely to me that the amount of support will drastically increase over time.

Il Direttore

Forum Posts : 1003

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 13:22

El Conservatore wrote:*nods* I was going to mention that I was probably being hyperbolic in that initial comment. It's unlikely that actual soldiers will be sent in a full on military capacity, but it seems likely to me that the amount of support will drastically increase over time.

I guess it would depend on how well things go for those fighting against the government. I could see a similar strategy as to what played out in Libya.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 14:19

Kiskaloo wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:*nods* I was going to mention that I was probably being hyperbolic in that initial comment. It's unlikely that actual soldiers will be sent in a full on military capacity, but it seems likely to me that the amount of support will drastically increase over time.

I guess it would depend on how well things go for those fighting against the government. I could see a similar strategy as to what played out in Libya.

*nods again* I would agree that this seems the most likely. US Airstrike Capability, in particular, would be a tremendous advantage for the rebels and end the conflict quickly.

Il Direttore

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 14:59

oone word for me: INTERVENTION

Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Forum Posts : 1169

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 16:40

would it be better if the Rebels won ? after all they are most likely going to go all out with the fundamentalist version of Islam that the west is doing its best to suppress ! not that it matters at the moment as both Russia and China are vetoing any sort of intervention( probably due to arms sales with the current regime)

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Forum Posts : 2131

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 17:52

Is this really just a bit of housecleaning from the USA though, an excuse to empty some warehouses of old kit? I seriously doubt that an actual intervention into Syria will ever happen, short of hands being forced by something outrageously improbable like Iran testing out one of its new nukes on Aleppo. Obama doesn't want it, Cameron can't afford it, Europe couldn't attempt it. Also, I imagine that the backroom deal that Russia consented to in order to pass UNSCR 1973 to bomb Libya was "we'll give you Gadaffi if you leave us Assad".

Robert Frazer

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 18:12

Given the latest in Libya, Awinnell, you may have a point. Interfactional fighting is basically what most people will default to, after all.

What do you mean, exactly, Robert? I'm a little confused.

Il Direttore

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 18:18

Just that I don't believe that anyone in government has any political will or even much of a desire to intervene in Syria. We'll see gestures and second-hand support at a remove, but actual military commitments aren't going to happen.

Robert Frazer

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterybad Fri 1 Mar 2013 - 6:02

Vietnamese armed security in UAE - this is the first time we export the mercenaries to foreign country

mysterybad
mysterybad

Female

Forum Posts : 86

Fan of : ...

Original Characters : ...

Comments : Hello

Registration date : 2013-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Fri 1 Mar 2013 - 8:53

"Royal Sulu" paramilitary intrusion in Sabah update news today; 2 VAT69 commandos and one police commando today died during the heated battle in Sandakan,sabah; with 12 enemy died.

my condolesnce...
i'm kinda worried that the intrusion location is actually 300km from my hometown XD
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Sat 2 Mar 2013 - 10:54

Another recent news...
The "Royal Sulu" paramilitary breached my hometown....

and by 10.52p.m, i've received a news that another battle, 2 police wounded....
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 13:45

A Jester No More, Italy’s Gadfly of Politics Reflects a Movement

In summary, Beppe Grillo, a comedian turned activist, just won about 25% of the vote for Italian Parliament and now has to step up to the plate.

He also refuses to work with either of the big coalitions in parliament. The result is that nobody really has enough of a majority to become Prime Minister. Now normally, that'd be pretty "meh" and all this means is that the new player ends up winning more popularity or eventually losing, with a return to the status quo.

Now if the squo returns, that's fine-ish. We get the same system, Italy is politically stable, and while things are still pretty bad, it's not horrible. But if Grillo's movement increases in popularity, it capacity to enact its stated goals will increase as well. Notably:

NY Times wrote:Among the top measures is a so-called citizenship salary, a type of unemployment insurance for hard-hit Italians. Policies would be funded by cutting waste, corruption and rampant political spending. Further savings would come from withdrawing Italian forces from Afghanistan, capping state pensions at 5,000 euros a month and overturning tax amnesties, among other steps.

This is comparatively benign. From the stand point of a consumer, I find all of that to be appealing at face value. But...

NY Times wrote:The departing prime minister, Mario Monti, saved Italy — at least temporarily — from having to ask for an international bailout. The risk is that Mr. Grillo has the effect of reversing those gains, making the situation harder for the people he is fighting for.

Mr. Grillo brushed off those concerns. Markets would respond positively, he said, “if we work with transparency and serenely, if we are honest and abolish conflict of interest, and pass laws against criminality, and if we support small and medium businesses and transform Italy into a community.”

Grillo's mindset makes me cautious. The presumption that government transparency implies increased investment due to greater confidence in said government is not a link that is intuitively drawn, and there is a distinct lack of argumentation to support this claim. As a result, it seems much more likely that the increased programs to assist Italians will result in increased spending without any compensatory reduction in costs in other areas. This would cause increased debt and land Italy back where it started.

But the more extreme measure is this:

NY Times wrote:Barefoot and wearing faded jeans and a gray T-shirt with an image of Gandhi, he said his goal was to do away with a system that had “disintegrated the country” and build “something new” that would restore Italy to a true participatory democracy. “We can change everything in the hands of respectable people, but the existing political class must be expelled immediately,” he said.

According to this quote, it seems that Grillo's movement would apparently eventually involve sweeping reforms of the parliamentary system and attempts to remove current politicians from power. In a perfect system where humans are inherently good and behave as such, such attempts at reform should occur naturally as a function of corruption. Theoretically, the level of corruption should be kept at equilibrium with public opinion. But the presumption that humans will behave as if they are inherently good is false, namely because humans have a tendency to be greedy, reactionary, and stupid, as evidenced by politics in general, and national-level politics in particular. Attempts to reform will, therefore, most likely result in INCREASED political posturing and a turn towards GREATER corruption and underhandedness, causing an increase in social unrest until something explodes.

Oh wait. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Last edited by El Conservatore on Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 14:17; edited 1 time in total
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 14:05

Outgoing Prime Minister Mario Monti's austerity measures are deeply, deeply disliked by the general Italian population so I can see why Grillo's platform found resonance with said population (and why Monti's party was destroyed in the elections).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 14:46

the current situation in my town-
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/3/3/nation/20130303133323&sec=nation
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 18:48

Venezuela's Hugo Chavez has died at age 58:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-21679053
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 19:47

Kiskaloo wrote:Outgoing Prime Minister Mario Monti's austerity measures are deeply, deeply disliked by the general Italian population so I can see why Grillo's platform found resonance with said population (and why Monti's party was destroyed in the elections).

Just because they were unpopular doesn't mean they were unnecessary. One wonders how long the Germans will keep covering the EU's spendthrift members' debts.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 14:10

Time for Kara to shop for a new outfit for the inauguration as the Conclave of Cardinals have chosen a new Pope.

And that new Pope is Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires, who has taken the Papal name of Francis. He is the first non-European Pope.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 18:17

Kiskaloo wrote: He is the first non-European Pope.
Relevant recent Polandball:
Backstory: The other Latin American countries used to make fun of Argentinaball for claiming to be white/European.

Argentina can finally into white!
The World News Thread - Page 12 BYKQlCp
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Forum Posts : 36

Fan of : Henrietta, Elsa

Original Characters : None

Comments : Second season didn't happen.

Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 0:14

Hamster wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote: He is the first non-European Pope.
Relevant recent Polandball:
Backstory: The other Latin American countries used to make fun of Argentinaball for claiming to be white/European.

Argentina can finally into white!
The World News Thread - Page 12 BYKQlCp

Oh my god, I LOVE Polandball.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 0:23

Glad the new guy's a Jesuit. They're staunch believers in logic and rationality, and see the church dogma as a spiritual exercise in a sort of eye of the beholder way, not something to trump common sense.

Wouldn't be surprised if he starts rounding up pedophiles and handing them over to the cops with evidence.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 9:36

Yeah, the only time I'll go to Mass is if a Jesuit is handling the Homily.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sat 23 Mar 2013 - 12:54

So long and good night, My Chemical Romance. So long and good night. (teardrop)
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 3 Apr 2013 - 14:43

Author Iain Banks has revealed he has gall bladder cancer and has just "several months" to live.

In a personal statement on his official website, the Wasp Factory writer said he asked his partner Adele to marry him and is now on a short honeymoon.

The 59-year-old said: "The bottom line now, I'm afraid, is that as a late-stage gall bladder cancer patient, I'm expected to live for 'several months' and it's extremely unlikely I'll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last."
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 13:11

Baroness Thatcher has died at the age of 87 following a stroke, her family has announced.

As tributes poured in to the former premier, it was announced that she will receive a ceremonial funeral with military honours at St Paul's Cathedral. Downing Street gave details of the event after the Tory former prime minister died on Monday morning. She had been in ill health for several years and was rarely seen in public in recent years.
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 14:54

Mouseketeer Annette Funicello has also passed at age 70.

Her children attended the same private elementary school in Los Angeles I did and she used to serve hot dogs in the cafeteria.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 6:51

Part of me really hopes this is real and not just some crazy stunt because... ow my brain.

WTF: Daft Punk debuting new album in regional Australian town

Also, if true, possibly going for a drive.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 16:46

Dual Bombs at Boston Marathon Kill 2, wound 20+

From the New York Times

"A series of explosions was reported near the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday, leaving two people dead and at least two dozen injured, according to the Boston Police Department."

Oh shit. The fact that the bomber(s) apparently were able to bypass a rather substantial security effort is a little concerning, either for the competency of American Police or for the competency of the terrorist(s) involved.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterybad Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 20:00

another terrorists act in the US? I hope the terrorists meet justice.
mysterybad
mysterybad

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 21:25

One of my friends from the US National Guard is there today. Said the place was a fuckin mess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 0:41

I reckon it will be home grown nut jobs not extremist Islamic terrorists
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 20:48

Awinnell wrote:I reckon it will be home grown nut jobs not extremist Islamic terrorists
Apparently some Saudi guy got hauled in by the cops. Or am I mistaken?
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 21:03

Nachtsider wrote:
Awinnell wrote:I reckon it will be home grown nut jobs not extremist Islamic terrorists

US law enforcement officials have stated he is a witness to the attack, not a suspect.

The bomb design is one used by al-Qaeda and they have published the specifications to make it so it could still be a domestic terrorist.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 21:42

Hmm. It seems a little odd that they would place a witness under armed guard at the hospital, but hey, if he's innocent, then I'm glad.

I read about the pressure cooker bombs, yeah. The Taliban and AQ types love those. But you're right; some domestic could easily have accessed the information to make his own.

Wonder what sort of message is being conveyed here, timing the bombing for Patriots Day.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 23:56

Nachtsider wrote:Hmm. It seems a little odd that they would place a witness under armed guard at the hospital, but hey, if he's innocent, then I'm glad.

I read about the pressure cooker bombs, yeah. The Taliban and AQ types love those. But you're right; some domestic could easily have accessed the information to make his own.

Wonder what sort of message is being conveyed here, timing the bombing for Patriots Day.

Not sure about the timing, but the witness-under-armed-guard does make a certain amount of sense. What if the perps go "Oh shit, we should probably blow this witness to hell so that we won't get nabbed"?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 0:48

Nachtsider wrote:
I felt it was more likely to be a home grown attacker as the type of attack resembled an IRA style attack rather than the larger suicide type attacks used by Islamic extremists, of course i'm no expert , so we'll have to wait and see
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Wed 17 Apr 2013 - 1:45

El Conservatore wrote:Not sure about the timing, but the witness-under-armed-guard does make a certain amount of sense. What if the perps go "Oh shit, we should probably blow this witness to hell so that we won't get nabbed"?
I'm pondering the probabilities of these people being able to identify, track down and eliminate a specific witness. But I suppose you're right; better safe than sorry.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterybad Thu 18 Apr 2013 - 6:34

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/17/17800341-5-to-15-killed-160-wounded-in-devastating-texas-chemical-plant-blast?lite

another terrorist attack ?
mysterybad
mysterybad

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 18 Apr 2013 - 9:18

I would expect this is an industrial accident, not a deliberate act.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 2:53

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

One bombing suspect in custody after a firefight, and the other being hunted down. Shit, that was fast.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 10:45

In more uplifting news, the NASA Kepler telescope has found two habitable worlds in orbit around an orange dwarf star about 1200 light years from Earth. The star is 7 billion years old, which is more than sufficient time for complex life to evolve.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/nasa-twin-planets-perfectly-habitable-just-discovered?ocid=ansnews11
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 11:10

Nachtsider wrote:http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

One bombing suspect in custody after a firefight, and the other being hunted down. Shit, that was fast.

NYTimes says that the one guy is dead while the other is being hunted down. Additionally, they're brothers?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/boston-marathon-bombings.html?emc=na&_r=0
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 11:20

Someone needs to get on making a frickin FTL drive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 11:29

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/massive-police-operation-and-manhunt-for-bombing-suspect-in-boston-area-after-shootout/story-fndir2ev-1226624804954

Chechen brothers.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 11:30

Nachtsider wrote:http://www.news.com.au/world-news/massive-police-operation-and-manhunt-for-bombing-suspect-in-boston-area-after-shootout/story-fndir2ev-1226624804954

Chechen brothers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/details-of-tsarnaev-brothers-boston-suspects-emerge.html?pagewanted=2&src=un&feedurl=http://json8.nytimes.com/pages/national/index.jsonp

Who were apparently pretty cool? This just gets weirder and weirder. Why would two perfectly normal, pretty cool guys decide to bomb the fuck out of a marathon? And get into a massive shootout with the police? The Fuck?!
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 12:02

That's what they always say once the perps are unmasked. He was cool, he was friendly, he was normal, yadda yadda yadda.

Latest reports I'm seeing is there's apparently a third accomplice, who fled by boarding an Amtrak train headed for New York.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 12:07

Nachtsider wrote:That's what they always say once the perps are unmasked. He was cool, he was friendly, he was normal, yadda yadda yadda.

Latest reports I'm seeing is there's apparently a third accomplice, who fled by boarding an Amtrak train headed for New York.

Right, so proposal: hold the news reports and wait until the situation sort-of-vaguely concludes before trying to make sense of everything.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 14:04

By no means do I intend to trivialize this; but the interview with the Boston suspects' aunt in Toronto is epic.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 14:46

Nachtsider wrote:Latest reports I'm seeing is there's apparently a third accomplice, who fled by boarding an Amtrak train headed for New York.

Really? Oh god. D:

I can't believe all this is happening, it's so unreal. It's so scary to watch all of this unfold. I hope they find the remaining suspects soon.

Even though what happened to them was horrible, I'm happy to read that all the victims that were hurt in the attack will survive.
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 17:30

I was in New York City on Monday (the day of the Boston bombing) and what surprised me was how little increased security there seemed to be. There's always a lot of Police & security around landmarks and transport hubs but nobody was checking cars or bags at all. I sat in a car parked (illegally Embarassed ) in front of the New York State Supreme Court for 15 minutes and nobody even looked twice at me.

The only indication I got that something wrong up came at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, where I heard one Police officer ask another "You heard the news, right?"
Even the MARSEC level aboard the ferry was at its lowest tier.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 18:04

Professor Voodoo wrote:I was in New York City on Monday (the day of the Boston bombing) and what surprised me was how little increased security there seemed to be. There's always a lot of Police & security around landmarks and transport hubs but nobody was checking cars or bags at all. I sat in a car parked (illegally The World News Thread - Page 12 183408 ) in front of the New York State Supreme Court for 15 minutes and nobody even looked twice at me.

The only indication I got that something wrong up came at the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, where I heard one Police officer ask another "You heard the news, right?"
Even the MARSEC level aboard the ferry was at its lowest tier.

To be fair, NYC is not Boston.

My friend from Jersey says: "Also, the amount that people in New York City don't care is fantastically high."
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 20:52

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/19/boston-mit-police-dead-watertown

Got him. Tsarnaev captured alive.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 20:53

Nachtsider wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/19/boston-mit-police-dead-watertown

Got him. Tsarnaev captured alive.

And now we wait for the details. Damn, this is going to be tense.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 19:15

[youtube][/youtube]
horrifying crash at Bagram airfield, a Civilian cargo plane carrying 5 military vehicles suffered a load shift resulting in a stall and crash
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 19:59

It was a former Air France 747-400 converted to a freighter and operated by National Air Cargo. All 7 aboard (4 pilots, 2 mechanics and 1 loadmaster) were killed on impact.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 20:15

Amazing that the guy was able to stop the tail slide at all.... damned shame he didn't have more room to work with...
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 23:11

Awinnell wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
horrifying crash at Bagram airfield, a Civilian cargo plane carrying 5 military vehicles suffered a load shift resulting in a stall and crash

Jesus Christ, that's horrifying. Anyone know why it was going so slow at the beginning? Had the load just shifted at that point?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Wed 1 May 2013 - 0:03

That is so tragic, so sad.
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Wed 1 May 2013 - 1:15

Some loadmaster's head will be on the chopping block very soon. You can bet your boots it will.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next