Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

+6
boomer_gonz
Professor Voodoo
MP5
Alfisti
topgearbrzgt86
Kiskaloo
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Empty 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 18:48

With the 2013 season over, time to start talking about 2014.

First up, Pastor Maldonado has been signed by Lotus to partner Romain Grosjean. I'm guessing this means that the deal with Quantum Motorsports is dead and they need Pastor's money to compensate. That being said, there are said to be conditions placed by Maldonado and PDVSA to ensure that the monies are not used solely to pay debts and not develop the car during 2014.

That means Nico Hulkenberg is probably going back to Sauber, though Peter Sauber might have to be tossed before that can happen as he's evidently not happy Nico went for a seat-fitting at Lotus just before the US Grand Prix and would prefer not to have him back. The other option is Force India.

Next up, Alonso has been banned from posting about the team to Twitter by order of Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo in response to his critical tweets about development of the 2013 car.

Third, the Bahrain Grand Prix will be run at night in 2014. The track has installed a lighting system and it will be used this weekend for the final round of the World Endurance Championship (which will be a twilight race, ala the Abu Dhabi GP).

And finally, the FIA is considering mandating a minimum of two tire changes for 2014, limiting the race distance on the primary tire to 50% of the laps or less and 30% of the laps or less on the option tire. This is in response to fears that, lacking any clear design mandate from the FIA, Pirelli will build "bulletproof" tires that can go the entire race distance.

And here is a cool video of the changes happening to the cars between 2013 and 2014:

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 19:52

Honestly, I'm pretty happy that 2013 is over; it was a pretty dud year; the only highlights being NASCAR's Gen-6 car, and Le Mans. (And don't mock; NASCAR is a real motorsport, and it's a good one at that. Not as good as F1, but still good in its own right.)

Anyway, on to more pressing matters: http://www.wrc.com/news/2014-wrc-calendar-revealed/?fid=19124

The 2014 WRC rally list is up, with a return of Rally Poland, and the (hopefully) temporary exit to Acropolis. Add that to Hyundai's return to the WRC with their new i20, and Pirelli challenging Michelin for rally tire supremacy, and you have a good mix of flavors.

Also, Juan Pablo Montoya signed for Penske Indycar, and was recently seen at Sebring. Carlos Munoz was also signed to a full season contract for Andretti Autosport Indy.

Finally, Formula E news; Mahindra Racing is confirmed as a team in the new sport. Now we have them, plus Drayson (GBR), China Racing (CHN), e.dams (FRA), Andretti Autosport, Dragon Racing (both USA), Super Aguri (JPN) and Audi Sport Abt (GER). 8 teams down, two to go.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

Forum Posts : 453

Fan of : Top Gear, Initial D, etc.

Original Characters : Jim, Jamiebel, Davina, Bernan, Frédéric. (More to come.)

Comments : You have to leave the space. All the time you have to leave the space!
-Fernando Alonso

Registration date : 2013-03-29

Back to top Go down

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sun 1 Dec 2013 - 13:11

Even with Pastor, Lotus still hasn't given up on the Quantum deal: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-quantum-still-working-lotus-deal-122629094--f1.html

This could turn well, because it gives Lotus more dev. money - Quantum + PDVSA = Lotus' first championship since 2006? Maybe.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

Comments : You have to leave the space. All the time you have to leave the space!
-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 1 Dec 2013 - 15:54

Sounds like (pun) Ferrari is testing their F1 Turbo V6 engine in a La Ferrari based on this footage from Fiorano:

The engine note sounds nothing like the normal V12 fitted to the car:

In other La Ferrari news, a pre-production vehicle was rear-ended by a semi on the Autostrada last weeK. 

Kara: "For the record, I was in Paris at the time."
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 2 Dec 2013 - 3:21

topgearbrzgt86 wrote:Even with Pastor, Lotus still hasn't given up on the Quantum deal: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-quantum-still-working-lotus-deal-122629094--f1.html

This could turn well, because it gives Lotus more dev. money - Quantum + PDVSA = Lotus' first championship since 2006? Maybe.
Let tobacco companies start sponsoring again.
Paint it red, white and gold.
???
Championship win!
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 3 Dec 2013 - 17:17

Kiskaloo wrote:That means Nico Hulkenberg is probably going back to Sauber, though Peter Sauber might have to be tossed before that can happen as he's evidently not happy Nico went for a seat-fitting at Lotus just before the US Grand Prix and would prefer not to have him back. The other option is Force India.
Nico Hulkenberg returns to Force India in multi-year deal and it seems likely he will be joined by Sergio Perez, replacing Adrian Sutil (who is expected to go to Sauber) and Paul di Resta (who mostly likely will go to IndyCar, possibly to fill the seat vacated by his cousin Dario Franchitti).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Tue 3 Dec 2013 - 17:44

I see promise in this; Vijay Mallaya and FI may have disappointed this year, but with (I think) a good pair in Hulkenberg and Perez, they could challenge for podiums. Both were Sauber drivers, and they punched above their weight; plus, with that Mercedes engine, FI could get it right, so who's to say they could score a couple podiums, or even a win?

Then again, FI are a mid-pack team. They have a semi-pay driver who's skilled, and a skilled driver who doesn't pay. But they get the job done.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Tue 3 Dec 2013 - 17:49

Alfisti wrote:
topgearbrzgt86 wrote:Even with Pastor, Lotus still hasn't given up on the Quantum deal: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-quantum-still-working-lotus-deal-122629094--f1.html

Let tobacco companies start sponsoring again.
Paint it red, white and gold.
???
Championship win!
Ehh, I like the JPS-style black and gold better. Plus, children are watching! Razz

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Wed 4 Dec 2013 - 23:45

Apropos of nothing....

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Tumblr10
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 6 Dec 2013 - 7:49

Not technically motorsport, or even 2014, but it may as well go here for the gearheads:

I do like that, at least on this, the P1 actually sounds a bit like a rip-snorting competition car.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 21 Dec 2013 - 21:48

Looks like the rumors Sergey Sirotkin’s sponsorship drying up were at least partially true, as he will not be a full-time driver for Sauber next year, just a test-driver. Instead, Esteban Gutierrez’s services have been retained for another year thanks to Telmex extending their sponsorship.

So the 2014 driver line-up is almost complete with one seat at Marussia and both seats at Caterham still open (though Giedo van der Garde is expected to remain at Caterham due to his sponsorship by McGregor).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 20:49

Kiskaloo wrote:Looks like the rumors Sergey Sirotkin’s sponsorship drying up were at least partially true, as he will not be a full-time driver for Sauber next year, just a test-driver. 
I thought the issue was Sirotkin's FIA Super License.  Sergey has not competed in enough FIA approved lower-formula events, and since it's winter (in the Northern hemisphere) there's little opportunity for him to get those necessary races under his belt.

I think the next big question of the ongoing silly season is; who will be McLaren's new sponsor?  Something Japanese maybe, tying in with their new Honda engine deal for 2015?
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 20:51

I suppose McLaren are well-funded; why not sponsor themselves? They can do the Japanese sponsor in 2015.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 24 Dec 2013 - 21:05

topgearbrzgt86 wrote:I suppose McLaren are well-funded; why not sponsor themselves? They can do the Japanese sponsor in 2015.
Back when Vodafone announced they were leaving Whitmarsh said they already had a new backer lined up.  He even went as far as to say it's another cell-phone company.  We all assumed it was TELMEX, since they had Sergio Perez...but now they have no Perez and TELMEX has re-signed with Sauber.

Although I agree that McLaren could probably afford to do a season without a title sponsor I highly doubt they'd do it.
-McLaren didn't get that rich by spending their own money.
-Also; it sends the wrong message about the health of the team.  They've just had a dismal season...so if they show up at winter testing without a shiny new sponsor it's going to worry a lot of people. "Is McLaren entering a tailspin like Williams?"

It's interesting, but personally I can wait until after the Dakar Rally for answers.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 26 Dec 2013 - 13:07

SMOKE ON 2014!!!!

Red Bull Air Race

Vegas here I come!!

All my feels = 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 3402398
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Thu 26 Dec 2013 - 13:09

XD Awesome stuff! I've seen the Red Bull Air Race on TV - awesome stuff. Mind if I join you?

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 26 Dec 2013 - 15:45

For those wanting to know the Red Bull Air Race World Championships goes global once again. Here are the locations confirmed, mind this list is not final so all Air Hogs should stay tuned for additional events.

http://www.redbullairrace.com/en_US/tour-stops
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 1 Jan 2014 - 14:44

Seven times Formula One World Driving Champion Michael Schumacher suffered severe head trauma in a skiing accident in France on Sunday. He has undergone multiple surgeries to help relieve swelling and lesions on his brain, but remains in a coma and is listed as being in "stable but critical" condition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20140101/f1-michael-schumacher-injury-skiing-accident.ap/
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 1 Jan 2014 - 15:05

Some more information from the NY Times. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/02/sports/schumachers-condition-unchanged-manager-says.html?hp

Spoiler:
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 18 Jan 2014 - 23:55

I hope this goes better than USF1 did.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 19 Jan 2014 - 1:20

Kiskaloo wrote:I hope this goes better than USF1 did.
Well, at least this clears up something I was wrong about.  I'd always figured the "Haas" in Stewart-Haas Racing was Carl Haas, who (along with Paul Newman) owned the CART team that won numerous championships.  Turns out it's Gene Haas and they aren't even related.

In other news, the 2014 Dakar Rally is complete (held in South America gain this year).  Since the US wrap-up show won't be broadcast until tomorrow I'll hide the results...
Spoiler:
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 21 Jan 2014 - 20:45

As expected, Caterham F1 today announced two new drivers for 2014: Kamui Kobayashi and Swedish rookie Marcus Ericsson. Both were chosen for the sponsorship money they will bring to the team (said to be over $15 million each). So the 2014 driver line-up is now complete.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:37

Force India shows off their 2014 car (though the nose is said to not be finalized):

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread T960W7T

In other news, McLaren will not have a title sponsor for their 2014 launch.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 17:11

run down on the new V6 F1 engine

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread F1_eng10

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Spread10

Renault wrote:Under acceleration the internal combustion engine will be using its reserve of fuel. The turbocharger will be rotating at maximum speed (100,000rpm).

The MGU-H will act as a generator and recover energy from the heat and energy lost in the exhaust and pass to the MGU-K (or the battery in case it needs recharging). The MGU-K, which is connected to the crankshaft of the ICE, will act as a motor and deliver additional power to pull harder or save fuel, should the control electronics be so configured.

At the end of the straight, the driver lifts off for braking for a corner. At this point the MGU-K converts to a generator and recovers energy dissipated in the braking event, which will be stored in the battery.

Under braking the MGU-H converts to a motor to keep the rotational speed of the turbocharger high enough to avoid the curse of the turbo engine – turbo lag. This is a phenomenon experienced under braking when the turbocharger speed slows as a lower volume of gas is produced.

When the driver accelerates and more gas is produced, the turbo can take time to return to full rotational speed. To prevent this lag, the MGU-H turns to a motor and powers the turbo, keeping the rotational speed as close to optimum. When the driver exits the corner and gets back on the throttle, the MGU-H returns to a generator and picks up the energy from the active turbocharger and exhaust gases. The energy recovered can either power the MGU-K to keep the fuel burn as low as possible or charge the battery.

Over the course of the lap, this balance between energy harvesting, energy deployment and (carbon) fuel burn will be carefully monitored.

Last edited by Awinnell on Sun 2 Feb 2014 - 6:27; edited 1 time in total
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 9:22

Is it just me, or does this year's Ferrari kind of look like it's been punched in the face and had its nose broken at some point in its life?
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread F14t-front34
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 12:14

Seriously, I think it's more good looking than the rest of the field, but less good looking than the F2012. Razz

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 16:03

Alfisti wrote:Is it just me, or does this year's Ferrari kind of look like it's been punched in the face and had its nose broken at some point in its life?

Looks better than the kielbasa hanging off the front of the new McLaren...

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Bevlne0cmaidim4

Lotus, meanwhile, decided to go with the ol' double-donger:

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread BewTj9OCYAE-4os

Speaking of Lotus, team principal Eric Boullier has now left. Pretty much Lotus' entire senior engineering and technical team have moved to other teams and while they do now appear to be sufficiently funded to at least make the grid at Melbourne, it sounds like they're going to be battling Caterham and Marussia at the back far more than Red Bull and Ferrari at the front.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 17:38

To clarify the previous statement: Daniel Craig and Liam Neeson also both have slight boxer's noses, and neither of them are exactly bad looking blokes.

I didn't actually mind the McLaren too much, though, when I first saw it, all I could think of was:
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Bako_8
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 18:25

Kiskaloo wrote:
Alfisti wrote:Is it just me, or does this year's Ferrari kind of look like it's been punched in the face and had its nose broken at some point in its life?

Looks better than the kielbasa hanging off the front of the new McLaren...

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Bevlne0cmaidim4

Lotus, meanwhile, decided to go with the ol' double-donger:

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread BewTj9OCYAE-4os

Speaking of Lotus, team principal Eric Boullier has now left. Pretty much Lotus' entire senior engineering and technical team have moved to other teams and while they do now appear to be sufficiently funded to at least make the grid at Melbourne, it sounds like they're going to be battling Caterham and Marussia at the back far more than Red Bull and Ferrari at the front.
I highly doubt that statement about battling Caterham and Marussia, for Lotus. And with reason:

1) Romain Grosjean - He proved he can take the fight to the people at the front, and this is a perfect time for him to take that first win. (And don't say he's a 'first lap nutcase', because he's not that anymore)

2) Saxo Bank - The new money from the Danish bank can help Lotus financially for R&D.

3) Pastor Maldonado - He is a consistent points scorer (again, more money for Lotus), and if he can control that aggression on the track, he will eventually get another win for another team.

4) Expect the Unexpected - Remember Malaysia 2012, when Perez got on the podium against Ferrari? Even though Ferrari had (arguably) a dog of a car, the underfunded Sauber struck back with a near-perfect performance. Who's not to say Lotus would do the same? 

Give them credit - they fought through 2013 for 4th. And they were underfunded. They've got two fast drivers, and as long as they can make good strategies, they'll be fine.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 26 Jan 2014 - 13:53

Sauber is the next to show off their 2014 contender;
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread AU1136482

Their Design Chief Eric Gandelin said;
“The path we have followed with the design of the Sauber C33-Ferrari allows us maximum flexibility, so that we can react quickly. It is also clear that reliability will be an important factor in the first few races in particular. So this is an area which we have given very high priority.”
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 27 Jan 2014 - 23:33

I wonder if they will have to pixelate the nose of the Toro Rosso STR9 to pass the television censors...

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread BfAByGCCMAA5Ci7

And a better angle (of the dangle) of the Sauber's nose:

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread BfABGIKCUAEAkBk_1_
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 4:53

It does look a little... flaccid doesn't it?

On another note: apparently Red Bull are missing Mark Webber's chin alread so, to make up for the loss of visual manliness, have put it on the car instead:
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 1510766_804606536223543_226158488_n
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 11:40

ROTFL
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 11:44

Alfisti wrote:It does look a little... flaccid doesn't it?

On another note: apparently Red Bull are missing Mark Webber's chin alread so, to make up for the loss of visual manliness, have put it on the car instead:
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 1510766_804606536223543_226158488_n

It does appear to have the least-offensive genitalia nose design:

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Rb10-low

As opposed to what Force India will be rocking...

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread OdT7RHz

Caterham is almost as...engorged...however they are hanging the front wing off it, so...

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Caterham-CT04-muso-anteriore-box-jerez-436x291

Mercedes, on the other hand, follows Ferrari's path with a children-friendly nose design:

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread UA3ZDtR

Hamilton is not having a great day at the first test in Jerez:

He did eventually get it going...

...only to put it into the wall after the front wing failed...

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread IJtJOjs

Kara, at least, can take comfort that the Fezza's can get out of the pits:

And a couple of minutes of the cars circulating the track to get a feel for the new Turbo V6 sound:

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 13:23

I will say this - the Mercedes is the best looking car on the field. They made the child-friendly approach work!

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 14:21

Kiskaloo wrote:(Red Bull) does appear to have the least-offensive genitalia nose design:
Caterham is almost as...engorged..
How long do you figure before some smart-ass Photoshops truck nuts onto the nose of the cars?
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 14:33

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:(Red Bull) does appear to have the least-offensive genitalia nose design:
Caterham is almost as...engorged..
How long do you figure before some smart-ass Photoshops truck nuts onto the nose of the cars?

Someone did PhotoShop a condom on the nose of the Williams:

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Qw1v
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 14:40

boomer_gonz wrote:SMOKE ON 2014!!!!

Red Bull Air Race

Vegas here I come!!

All my feels = 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 3402398

Apple just added the Red Bull Channel to the Apple TV so I can watch the Air Races live.  Good
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 30 Jan 2014 - 5:09

Now...I must get Apple TV. Very Happy
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 30 Jan 2014 - 22:40

Reports from the Jerez test say the new Renault turbo powerplant is a dud - literally - and that it could be mid-season before they have addressed the issues to make it competitive again. Red Bull could only run a handful of laps and sent Seb home a day early and both Toro Rosso and Caterham were only able to make very limited runs at well-below maximum revs for fear of the engine failing. The new Red Bull also evidently has poor cooling and there are real fears the chassis cannot make a race distance without going up in flames.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 31 Jan 2014 - 5:08

To be honest, I (and quite a few others if the opinions flying around work are anything to judge by) will not be entirely unhappy to see Red Bull have issues this season. Not through any particular dislike of the team, but simply because it means a chance at a tighter competition this year.

Also, I must say, I rather like the noise the new engines make.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 1 Feb 2014 - 0:10

With the Jerez test over here's the rundown on fastest laps & total laps completed;
Spoiler:
 Source; crash.net
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sat 1 Feb 2014 - 0:26

First off, I think Jim has something to say:

Jim: See, Allison? I told you Macca'd come back in 2014!

Ok, now to more important stuff.

Honestly, Red Bull look like they've lost the plot from the start. Vettel and Ricciardo churned out way less laps than their competitors. The new Renault V6 could prove problematic for some people (Namely: Triela, Marisa, Jim), and if Renault don't get their act together, Macca could win the championship this year. Especially with their new suspension set-up; they've really made it work for them, as well as rookie Kevin Magnussen.

Also, Williams comeback for the epic win! Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas making the best of that new car, as with Williams! They might be on for a championship chase as well, so maybe we could see Felipe baby take his first win in quite a long time? Perhaps even Bottas winning? Thank goodness for the switch to Mercedes power for Williams!

Jamiebel: Told ya, mr. TG. Mercedes power always wins in the end. Razz

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 1 Feb 2014 - 16:40

Ross Brawn Formally Retires from F1

So he won't be the new CEO of McLaren Racing as many speculated.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 7 Feb 2014 - 20:00

Top Gear has been working to make caravaning less of a pain to the rest of Britain for years.

Lotus has now applied themselves to the task:

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 7 Feb 2014 - 21:48

Kiskaloo wrote:Top Gear has been working to make caravaning less of a pain to the rest of Britain for years.

So this is what they were doing instead of attending the Jerez test session.  Time well spent.

Switching to serious mode: 
Since the other Renault teams had nothing but problems at that Jerez test...getting very little valuable running time...Lotus comes off looking very good by having skipped the test.  Is it possible that the team in Enstone detected the problems with the Renault powerplant, decided the test was going to be useless for them and sat out because of that?  Renault said the issue was a big disparity between running the engine on the dyno and actually running it in the car.  Could Lotus have figured this out ahead of time on its own dyno?

It would be a good strategic move...let Red Bull go out and waste their time while Lotus stays home and saves their resources.  It also gives them another week to work on the car.  Of course, they'd never admit to this because the debacle embarrassed Renault...who would be très graves to find out Lotus could have warned them but didn't.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 7 Feb 2014 - 22:25

Kiskaloo wrote:Top Gear has been working to make caravaning less of a pain to the rest of Britain for years.

Considering their apparent money troubles, part of me suspects that will actually be the Lotus team caravan for this years races  Razz 

Interesting theory Voodoo. With-holding the information would also feel like a very Lotus thing to do.

Financial troubles? Being sneaky? That's the Lotus we know and love. Colin Chapman would be proud. Now all they need to do is break out a "foot long" ruler and things will be perfect.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 7 Feb 2014 - 22:36

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Since the other Renault teams had nothing but problems at that Jerez test...getting very little valuable running time...Lotus comes off looking very good by having skipped the test.  Is it possible that the team in Enstone detected the problems with the Renault powerplant, decided the test was going to be useless for them and sat out because of that?  Renault said the issue was a big disparity between running the engine on the dyno and actually running it in the car.  Could Lotus have figured this out ahead of time on its own dyno?

It would be a good strategic move...let Red Bull go out and waste their time while Lotus stays home and saves their resources.  It also gives them another week to work on the car.  Of course, they'd never admit to this because the debacle embarrassed Renault...who would be très graves to find out Lotus could have warned them but didn't.

I expect the reality is the car was not ready so they would not have been able to do any running.

Lotus is in Jerez now to use their 100 kilometers of "promotional filming" allotment to get their test in. Renault may also have engineering staff from other Renault-powered teams present to set up an information exchange between the Renault-powered teams to address the issues of component reliability and longevity.

Lotus also tweaked the nose - it is now a pitchfork as opposed to two uneven sausages.

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 22921.3
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 12:27

Kiskaloo wrote:
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 22921.3
Oh wow...look at the Autosport magazine on that bench.
Tell me that wasn't placed there in the cameraman's shot intentionally.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Thu 13 Feb 2014 - 0:26

Professor Voodoo wrote:

So this is what they were doing instead of attending the Jerez test session.  Time well spent.

Switching to serious mode: 

In all thought, I would have agreed with Kisk - the car might not have been ready at the time, but that was an unforeseen outcome for the Enstone team; they might have lucked out in the end. By then, the engines might have been fixed, so who knows? Wink

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next