Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

+6
MP5
boomer_gonz
Professor Voodoo
ElfenMagix
Alfisti
Kiskaloo
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Empty 2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 18:01

So looks like Audi should have an easy LeMans win with Peugeot shelving their LMP program as I don't expect Toyota's LMP1 to be much of a threat in it's first appearance.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by Alfisti Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 18:38

Speaking of new entries into Motorsport... Nissan announced earlier next month that it would be making a return to V8 supercars as of 2013... almost two decades after its Godzilla was originally banned, essentially for kicking everybody's arses.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 19:04

Alfisti wrote:Speaking of new entries into Motorsport... Nissan announced earlier next month that it would be making a return to V8 supercars as of 2013... almost two decades after its Godzilla was originally banned, essentially for kicking everybody's arses.

A GT-R with a V8... I predict much kicking of Ford and Holden ass. Yes Indeed

Hopefully SPEED will carry some of the races live again this year.

Back home in the States, Daytona has not disappointed so far, with both the Craftsman Truck and Nationwide races ending with massive pile-ups on the final corner of the final lap taking out the leaders and letting a first-timer win.

Guess I'll need to watch the 500 live tomorrow...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 21:26

As strange as it may sound, Danica Patrick, female racer in many outlets but noted for her Indy Car Race participation, has gotten the pole for NASCAR's first race.

Personally I didn't know she was into NASCAR, but she was for the past couple of years. Hope she does well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-daytona-nationwide
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 22:08

Patrick wrecks early in Nationwide race at Daytona
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-daytona-danica

...and she's pissed.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 5:39

Kiskaloo wrote:So looks like Audi should have an easy LeMans win with Peugeot shelving their LMP program as I don't expect Toyota's LMP1 to be much of a threat in it's first appearance.
With Aston Martin dropping their LMP program Audi will be the only manufacturer team contesting the nascent World Endurance Championship. Aston isn't abandoning sports car racing altogether though...they will have a factory GT team in all 8 rounds.
Alfisti wrote: Nissan announced earlier next month that it would be making a return to V8 supercars as of 2013...
Kisk wrote:A GT-R with a V8... I predict much kicking of Ford and Holden ass. 2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 735198
Will Nissan's contender neccessarily be a Skyline GT-R? I think it's more likely that they'll run a 4-door sedan with an approved pushrod V-8 like the two resident makes. What is Nissan's Australian market competitor for the Falcon & Commodore anyway?
ElfenMagix wrote:As strange as it may sound, Danica Patrick, female racer in many outlets but noted for her Indy Car Race participation, has gotten the pole for NASCAR's first race.

Personally I didn't know she was into NASCAR, but she was for the past couple of years. Hope she does well.
For years Patrick has been using the threat I'll move to NASCAR to get more money for her IndyCar duties. As their most famous driver and biggest crowd draw she could get away with it. She ran a limited schedule of 2nd tier NASCAR races last year (Nationwide Series, I think it's called this week) but this year she goes full time in that series with selected appearances in the top Cup series. No reason she shouldn't do well.
Kisk wrote:Back home in the States, Daytona has not disappointed so far, with both the Craftsman Truck and Nationwide races ending with massive pile-ups on the final corner of the final lap taking out the leaders and letting a first-timer win.
I actually watched the last 30 laps of the "truck" race...and frankly I was reminded of why I don't watch NASCAR much. Wreck after idiotic wreck and NASCAR's insistence on ending the races under green flag running meant the race went into three "green-white-checkers" overtime periods. I'll be watching the first round of the World Superbike Championship (tape delayed from Phillip Island, Australia) tomorrow instead.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
We didn't even mention the traditional first race of the motorsports calender...the 2012 Dakar Rally, held in South America again this year.

Bikes: The closest battle of the three main categories saw a back and forth fight between KTM team-mates Marc Coma & Cyril Depres. At times the two were seperated by as little as 20 seconds, trading the lead daily based on who had first-start "road clearing" duties. Defending champ Coma suffered mechanical misfortune near the end, handing a 4th crown to Depres. This pair have alternated as winners for the past 7 rallies.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Despre10

Cars: Robby Gordon & defending champ Nasser Al-Attiyah were blindingly fast in 2wd rear-engined "Hummers" (running under buggy rules) but internal team drama, mechanical bugs and disputees with the race organizers scuppered their chance for the win. Stéphane Peterhansel, driving a re-skinned BMW X-series called a Mini this year, added a 4th car win to his 6 motorcycle victories.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Peterh10
2009 winner Giniel de Villiers drove a Toyota built to next years rule package. Despite being visibly slower than this years cars he finished an impressive 3rd. Watch out for him next year.

Trucks: The Russian Kamaz team, which has dominated by winning 9 of the last 11 rallies, lost both of their star drivers this year. 7-time winner Vladamir Tchagin and 2-time winner Fidraus Kabirov both stepped down to management roles and the team suffered. Dutchman Gérard de Rooy (driving an Iveco) capitalized Kamaz's struggles to net his first win...echoing his father's victory in the 1987 race.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Gerard10
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 7:14

Professor Voodoo wrote:Will Nissan's contender neccessarily be a Skyline GT-R? I think it's more likely that they'll run a 4-door sedan with an approved pushrod V-8 like the two resident makes. What is Nissan's Australian market competitor for the Falcon & Commodore anyway?
I doubt it will be the GT-R... rules have moved on since the early nineties... among which is that the cars have to be RWD. As to what they'll be campaigning... that's still very much open to speculation. Nissan's competitor in the "large saloon" market here is the Maxima, but there's also talk of one of the 4-door Skyline variants or one of the upcoming medium-car segment saloons. The biggest problem with running a Maxima would be that it's not marketed as a "performance" vehicle... as to developing a V8 to go in it, that task has been handed to Kelly Brothers Racing, who will make the move from Holden to Nissan next year.

That fans are... not happy.

Personally I welcome another manufacturer.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 8:25

Well to much pussyfooting by Red Bull heads and the ever growing controversy of the Red Bull Stratos Project (how is THAT even considered a motorsport?!!); it appears the Red Bull Air Race World Championship Series will be taking another year long hiatus. Hissy fit

LINK

Personally; I'd rather Red Bull sell the rights to the old format or at least license them if possible to allow the teams to pursue other avenues of competitions. I want my air races Dab Gummit!!
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 11:10

Alfisti wrote:As to what they'll be campaigning... that's still very much open to speculation. Nissan's competitor in the "large saloon" market here is the Maxima, but there's also talk of one of the 4-door Skyline variants or one of the upcoming medium-car segment saloons.

The Sydney Morning Herald believes it will be the Nissan Altima, which evidently will be replacing the Maxima in the Australian market.

Alfisti wrote:The biggest problem with running a Maxima would be that it's not marketed as a "performance" vehicle...

Hehe. In the 1990s, the Maxima was marketed in the US as "a 4-door sports car". Very Happy

Good thing Daytona has lights, since it's just pouring on the track right now, so the 500 won't be starting anytime soon.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 10:46

Professor Voodoo wrote:I actually watched the last 30 laps of the "truck" race...and frankly I was reminded of why I don't watch NASCAR much. Wreck after idiotic wreck and NASCAR's insistence on ending the races under green flag running meant the race went into three "green-white-checkers" overtime periods.

They only had one for the 500, but that was because they all wrecked in the laps prior to the final five.

This 500 will be one to be remembered, I expect. I gave up after 9:30PM and DVR'd the finish.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 1 Mar 2012 - 23:46

With Toyota entering its hybrid TS030 at LeMans this year, and Porsche joining with its own in 2014, Audi has decided on a pre-emptive strike.
crash.net wrote:Audi has revealed that its new LMP1 race car, which will fight for honours in the LeMans 24 Hours later this year, is to be known as the R18 e-tron quattro.

The car, a hybrid version of the successful R18, will debut at the Spa round of the World Endurance Championship in May before fighting for honours at Le Mans in June.

The R18 e-tron quattro features a system that stores energy under braking which is then transferred back to the circuit through the front wheels.
At Le Mans, Audi will field two of the new hybrid cars, with one being shared by Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Tréluyer and one driven by Dindo Capello, Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish.

Audi will also field two 2012-spec versions of the 'traditional' R18 – dubbed the R18 ultra. Loïc Duval, Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas share one car, with Marco Bonanomi, Oliver Jarvis and Mike Rockenfeller in the second.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 2012-a10

Another link with more information.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 4:16

Professor Voodoo wrote:With Toyota entering its hybrid TS030 at LeMans this year, and Porsche joining with its own in 2014, Audi has decided on a pre-emptive strike.
crash.net wrote:Audi has revealed that its new LMP1 race car, which will fight for honours in the LeMans 24 Hours later this year, is to be known as the R18 e-tron quattro.

The car, a hybrid version of the successful R18, will debut at the Spa round of the World Endurance Championship in May before fighting for honours at Le Mans in June.

The R18 e-tron quattro features a system that stores energy under braking which is then transferred back to the circuit through the front wheels.
At Le Mans, Audi will field two of the new hybrid cars, with one being shared by Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Tréluyer and one driven by Dindo Capello, Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish.

Audi will also field two 2012-spec versions of the 'traditional' R18 – dubbed the R18 ultra. Loïc Duval, Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas share one car, with Marco Bonanomi, Oliver Jarvis and Mike Rockenfeller in the second.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 2012-a10

Another link with more information.
Sounds like the hybrid system is only intended to really give drive out of corners... which makes sense: extra power without needing to worry as much about overwhelming the rear tyres. Will be interested to see the sorts of cornering/exit speeds they can achieve with the extra power and extra traction.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 13 Mar 2012 - 19:15

Since Velocity doesn't usually start their WRC coverage until the season is almost over and ESPNHD UK broadcasts them same day (or near enough),I decided to marathon the first three WRC events today (Monte Carlo, Sweden and Mexico).

Still not used to the driver swaps and it looks like they invert the field now at the start of each day so the slowest cars can do road sweeping, saving the leaders from having to "throw" the last stage of the previous day to drop down the leader board so they wouldn't have to road sweep.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 15 Mar 2012 - 6:40

Speaking of Le Mans... and since we were talking about Batmobiles in another thread; I take it all the gearheads have by now seen Nissan's 2012 entry?

2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caradvice.com.au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F03%2Fnissan-deltawing-1

...ok, so not technically "entry" as it doesn't meet all the rules and regs, but they'll be running it anyway apparently just to see what happens.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 15 Mar 2012 - 9:41

Kiskaloo wrote:Since Velocity doesn't usually start their WRC coverage until the season is almost over and ESPNHD UK broadcasts them same day (or near enough),I decided to marathon the first three WRC events today (Monte Carlo, Sweden and Mexico).
So have you seen the rounds yet? Is it safe to discuss them without hiding spoilers?
Still not used to the driver swaps and it looks like they invert the field now at the start of each day so the slowest cars can do road sweeping, saving the leaders from having to "throw" the last stage of the previous day to drop down the leader board so they wouldn't have to road sweep.
I think that's a good idea. Not only does it remove an unfair disadvantage from the leader, it's better for the fans at the actual event.
Alfisti wrote:Speaking of Le Mans... and since we were talking about Batmobiles in another thread; I take it all the gearheads have by now seen Nissan's 2012 entry?
The Bowlby "Delta Wing" was originally offered as a new spec chassis for the American IndyCar series (eventually the contract went to the Dallara DW12 chassis).

The team selected to run the car know how to get the job done; it's Highcroft Racing, who has won the American Le Mans Series championship twice.
[youtube][/youtube]
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 15 Mar 2012 - 11:44

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:Since Velocity doesn't usually start their WRC coverage until the season is almost over and ESPNHD UK broadcasts them same day (or near enough),I decided to marathon the first three WRC events today (Monte Carlo, Sweden and Mexico).

So have you seen the rounds yet? Is it safe to discuss them without hiding spoilers?

Yup. I should now hopefully see each round the day after it ends (assuming the one YouTube site I found that hosts them keeps up).

Alfisti wrote:Speaking of Le Mans... and since we were talking about Batmobiles in another thread; I take it all the gearheads have by now seen Nissan's 2012 entry?

The Bowlby "Delta Wing" was originally offered as a new spec chassis for the American IndyCar series (eventually the contract went to the Dallara DW12 chassis).[/quote]

My first thought was that Nissan was coming back to IndyCar. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Sun 18 Mar 2012 - 21:08

2012 Australian Formula One GP Results

Allison: McLaren is starting strong this year, as is my petrol fund.

Triela: It's only the first race. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Kara: Well, Ferrari better shape up. That was not what I wanted to see out there.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Sun 18 Mar 2012 - 22:31

Professor Voodoo wrote:.
The Bowlby "Delta Wing" was originally offered as a new spec chassis for the American IndyCar series (eventually the contract went to the Dallara DW12 chassis).

The team selected to run the car know how to get the job done; it's Highcroft Racing, who has won the American Le Mans Series championship twice.
[youtube][/youtube]
The racers who test drove the 2012 Dallara Indy car all swore by it, including Dan Wheldon (RIP). As for calling it and the others of this class "the batmobile", I would not know. There is some resemblance to the movie car but that is where it ends.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Dallara-indy-car-concept-577x386
From: http://trickshift.com/2012-indy-car-concept-design-from-dallara/

More info:
http://www.indycar.com/tech/content/34186-indycar-2012/
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/video-2012-dallara-testing-at-indy/

and to quote Wheldon:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/50808-smooth-sailing-for-wheldon-with-2012-car-at-ims-oval-test/

“It’s lighter, safer, faster, and we’ve worked to validate the mechanical reliability of the car and making sure the way Dallara has designed and engineered the car to perform that the wind tunnel numbers are matching up on track.”
Currently speeds at Indy being around 230 for qualifying and 215 for racing, its going to be interesting if these new cars can go beyond that. Any 2011 and prior cars will not be able to keep up as used cars tend to make up most of the field. I'm expecting speeds to approach 250.

The nice safety features I like is the new redesigned rear. In blocking off the rear tires, rear-end collisions wil no longer become airbourne by the rear tire's rotation lifting the car into the air. This has plagued Indy for many years since open tires were allowed.

What does scare me is the slight resemblance to the Ford - Mikey Thompsons of the of the 1964 Indy 500. That car was so unstable that it crashed, killing two drivers and reset the safety and design laws for all Indy cars since.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Mcdon2
http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/500d-64.htm

It also looks like a cross between Art Pollard's '69 red STP Turbo and Swede Savage's '73 STP Red Eagle-Offy.

Art Pollard:
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 69pollard

Swede Savage:
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 73swede2

Both were to crash and be killed in the '73 Indy race:
http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/500d-73.htm
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 18 Mar 2012 - 22:40

MP5 wrote:2012 Australian Formula One GP Results
Allison: Mari, are you alright? You're sweating bullets.

Marisa: That was too close. Maldonado was headed for a 5th place before he put it in the wall on the last lap. Elio's Williams team would have beaten my Toro Rosso's!

Allison: Yeah, Williams looked good this race...you may be in for a rough year of Mr. Alboreto chosing most of the places you go to lunch.

Marisa: My boys came out on top this time. I still have faith.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 6:55

Malaysian GP, just... wow.

Spoiler:
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 7:21

Alfisti wrote:Malaysian GP, just... wow.
Yeah...that's about the only way to describe it. Wow.
Spoiler:
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 12:40

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 26 Mar 2012 - 1:29; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Marder Sun 25 Mar 2012 - 20:11

And Red Bull still lacks grip, thus proving Adeline's suspicions that Sebastian Vettel is overrated.

Adeline: Onto the MotoGP season. (opens a beer) I'm hoping Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies wipe that smug grin off of Casey Stoner and Honda's face. (checks her phone) Oh, and the Indy Car series started today. And Helio Castroneves won. Impressive! Rubens didn't runs o bad either.
]
Marder
Marder

Male

Forum Posts : 45

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl and much much more

Original Characters : Adeline, George, Jordan, Daniel

Registration date : 2010-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 26 Mar 2012 - 2:01

Those new IndyCars look hella weird.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 27 Mar 2012 - 0:05

Marder wrote:And Red Bull still lacks grip, thus proving Adeline's suspicions that Sebastian Vettel is overrated.
I don't quite understand. Is it that Vettel is overrated as a development driver, and should have been able to tell the engineers what he needed to generate more grip?
They don't allow the teams to do much off-season testing anymore so it's kind of out of his hands.

Adeline: Onto the MotoGP season. (opens a beer) I'm hoping Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies wipe that smug grin off of Casey Stoner and Honda's face.
Stoner has been fastest in all 3 pre-season tests...your factory Yamaha's are not far behind and still doing much better than Rossi & Hayden on the Ducati's. Still two long weeks until that season opens at Qatar (April 8th).

The production based World Superbike Championship already has one round (2 races at each round) in the books and if Marisa didn't already have a Max Biaggi T-shirt she does now. At Phillip Island, Australia, the Roman riding an Aprilia won race 1 but in race 2 he got duffed up in the scary-fast first turn and was forced off track, dropping him to last place. He stormed through the entire pack and reached second place...putting everyone on notice that he's dead serious about regaining the crown he won in 2010.
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread Biaggi10
the Indy Car series started today. And Helio Castroneves won. Impressive! Rubens didn't runs o bad either.
Kiskaloo wrote:Those new IndyCars look hella weird.
Weird, yes...but significantly faster than the old Dallara chassis. It's nice to see a return to different engine manufacturers this year, although it makes me miss the days when we had 2 or 3 chassis builders going at it as well.

We'll have to wait for Elfen's (and by extension Rachel & Fernando's) opinion...he's the site's resident IndyCar buff.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 14:29

WRC Vodafone Rally de Portugal

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 16:32

Kiskaloo wrote:WRC Vodafone Rally de Portugal
Actually, there's been a change to those results.
Spoiler:
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 13 Apr 2012 - 12:39

Mercedes-powered cars again look strong in practice for the Chinese Grand Prix. And now that the Mercedes team's F-duct has been ruled officially legal, I expect by Spain everyone will have it. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 14 Apr 2012 - 9:56

Grand Prix of China Qualifying;
Spoiler:
In other news, Jari-Matti Latvala has broken his collarbone (while cross-country skiing) and will sit out the Rally of Argentina. Ford M-Sport has not named a replacement but after his win in the last round Mads Ostberg is a strong possibility.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 15 Apr 2012 - 11:47

I'll let The Professor handle the post-race commentary, but that was a pretty amazing race.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 16 Apr 2012 - 5:58

Kiskaloo wrote:I'll let The Professor handle the post-race commentary, but that was a pretty amazing race.
Ditto, but I will leave this here:

2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread L.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Flh5.ggpht.com%2F-pdRQ8j_ziVE%2FT4qDk0CnyzI%2FAAAAAAAABBg%2FqKxMHH9bD6g%2Fs400%2FibhwJ1dr6zj1n8
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 16 Apr 2012 - 10:31

Alfisti wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:I'll let The Professor handle the post-race commentary, but that was a pretty amazing race.

Ditto, but I will leave this here:

Yeah, he was probably having flashbacks to Le Mans 99. Evil
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 12:42

Bahrain GP Qualifying;
Spoiler:
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 12:25

Grand Prix of Bahrain

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 23:29

In other F1 news, it appears the French Grand Prix will be returning the calendar, held at the Circuit Paul Ricard as of next year. The French Grand Prix will alternate years with the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 18:35

Philips Rally Argentina - Days 1 and 2

Spoiler:

Have the WRC relaxed spectator rules this season? While not as insane as the 1980s, I've noticed the spectators are now right on the edge of the road where before they were well back.

Sao Paulo Indy 300

Spoiler:

The Grand Am race at Miami-Homestead was literally washed-out and called at two-thirds distance. When they did let them run, it was pretty impressive watching them try and maintain traction.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 29 Apr 2012 - 18:54

Kiskaloo wrote:Philips Rally Argentina - Days 1 and 2

Spoiler:
I appreciate the spoiler tag... SPEED channel finally has WRC coverage so I'll see it later tonight (11pm Eastern).
The Grand Am race at Miami-Homestead was literally washed-out and called at two-thirds distance. When they did let them run, it was pretty impressive watching them try and maintain traction.
That was a hell of a show. I've been to races like that...it's an ordeal.

1998 World Superbike Championship round at Nurburgring (new circuit) was like that. Pouring rain all day. At least Nurburgring has concrete grandstand seats so we didn't have to sit on muddy hillsides.
Between the two headline races (WSBK races twice at each event) there was an undercard race featuring amateurs on identical Yamaha 600's. About then the rain just became torrential. The 'ring is on top of a big hill so it gets hammered by the weather. This was a friggin' monsoon.
Us spectators huddled inside the bathroom buildings...sure they couldn't start the race in these conditions. We were wrong; outside we could hear the sound of engines...motorcycles making their sighting lap. Everyone sheltering in the pissort was amazed, but we felt the same way: These may be no-name amateurs but if they have the guts to race in conditions like this they deserve to have a crowd in the stands. Everybody shuffled out into the storm to watch the amateurs race.
Just one of the reasons I love racing.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 30 Apr 2012 - 1:35

Just finished watching SPEED's broadcast. While it's great that SPEED is carrying the events same weekend, it's too bad they're only showing the one-hour Inside WRC Magazine event highlight.

When Discovery HD Theater / Velocity had it, each Day had their own 30 minute show, plus a 30 minute Event Preview and the entire Power Stage coverage. So the total was three hours (plus the one hour event highlight).

The MotorsTV UK coverage does have all three days as separate 30 minute shows and a preview episode, but I don't like the MTUK commentators, it's SD and the broadcasts are posted to YouTube usually the next day, so I'll already know who won watching the SPEED coverage Sunday night. sweat
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 30 Apr 2012 - 2:33

Kiskaloo wrote:Just finished watching SPEED's broadcast. While it's great that SPEED is carrying the events same weekend, it's too bad they're only showing the one-hour Inside WRC Magazine event highlight.
Well, we take what we can get I suppose. I'd already watched the two MotoGP races and the Grand-Am regatta so I'm not sure I was up to another three hours of watching the tube.

I will say one thing; those camera shots really make me want to visit Argentina.

Kara: Speak for yourself! Did you see the size of that spider during the intro?! I'm staying here in Europe where it's safe. What day is the Monte Carlo Grand Prix this year?
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 30 Apr 2012 - 9:44

I think Kara would brave even spiders to drive Intiyaco.

Kara: "We can do it like Ferrari did the FF press event. Just load up the car in a CH-47, have it land at the start to unload and then be waiting at the end to drive back into."

Claes: "What if you break-down and have to get out to fix something?"

Kara: "Then I transfer my flag to the Range Rover and carry on."
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 2 May 2012 - 17:52

With Felipe Massa's blood in the water at Maranello the rumor mill is going into overdrive as to who will take his seat. The latest wild theory is that Ferrari will poach Mark Webber from Red Bull for 2013...using him as a place-holder until they deem Sergio Perez ready.

Webber himself has denied any such speculation.

If there is an Australian in the Ferrari does this mean Alfisti will have Monty hanging out with Kara more?
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 2 May 2012 - 19:06

Probably only at Monaco and only as a cover while she robs another casino.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 3 May 2012 - 18:16

Professor Voodoo wrote:If there is an Australian in the Ferrari does this mean Alfisti will have Monty hanging out with Kara more?
Sadly, unlike her writer, Monty holds no loyalty to Australia or the citizenry thereof... and even if she did I doubt it would be enough to convince her to spend additional time with Kara. 2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 61015

...at least to do so of her own volition.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 7 May 2012 - 11:53

Well they waited until the next to the last restart with 4 laps to go for "The Big One" at Talladega, though since they were all accelerating from the Green Flag and at around 100mph, the carnage was not as bad as when they're doing 200mph.

And it looks like Eric McClure is recovering well from his massive head-on crash in the Nationwide Series race at Talladega on Saturday. Good
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 7 May 2012 - 18:37

Kiskaloo wrote:Well they waited until the next to the last restart with 4 laps to go for "The Big One" at Talladega, though since they were all accelerating from the Green Flag and at around 100mph, the carnage was not as bad as when they're doing 200mph.

And it looks like Eric McClure is recovering well from his massive head-on crash in the Nationwide Series race at Talladega on Saturday. 2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 2752
I for one vote that NASCAR just toss these stupid "green-white-checker" finishes. When the race is over it's over. I really shouldn't care since I rarely watch NASCAR anymore but I still do not want to see a driver injured or killed in one of these fuckwit crash generators.

Back to Europe...
Amelia is quietly working on a jigsaw puzzle when her room-mate Marisa trudges in, soaking wet.

Amelia: Welcome back. Did you enjoy the World Superbike races in Monza?

Marisa: (lays a towel down, begins stripping off wet clothes) Ugh...Elio & I got soaked in the grandstands...they cancelled race #1 because of the rain...
2012 World Motorsports Discussion Thread 05071210
The senior riders take a lap in the safety cars to access conditions. Conditions were bad.

Amelia: Is it not standard procedure that motorcycles race in the rain?

Marisa: Usually, but Monza is a really fast track without much run-off area so it was just too risky. Anyway, they cancelled race #1 for the Superbikes...they ran the two 600cc races but cancelled the KTM Junior Cup...then ran only 8 laps of the second Superbike race before that was halted for rain too.

Amelia: It is unfortunate that you were not able to witness the full schedule of races.

Marisa: Yeah, and then Elio & I had a 6 hour ride back home...in the rain the whole way. My fault; I asked him if we could take his Ducati instead of the car. At least I could hide behind him from the wind & rain...poor Elio had to take the brunt of it head on.

Amelia: Perhaps the next weekend you and your handler have off will present more favorable weather conditions.

Marisa: (putting on her robe) I hope so. I gotta go hang this wet stuff down in the laundry room...see ya later.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Mon 7 May 2012 - 18:57

Elsewhere...

Elio: *staggering in, dropping his saturated riding leathers beside the door in a rapidly-expanding puddle* "'Lo."

Lorenzo: *hands over a snifter of brandy* "Bath's already drawn up. Told you that you were crazy."

Elio: *sneezes violently, downs the brandy, and shuffles off towards the bathroom* "I used to tell grown men of a violent variety to go to hell... why can't I do the same to an 11 year old?"
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Mon 7 May 2012 - 22:36

Kiskaloo wrote:Well they waited until the next to the last restart with 4 laps to go for "The Big One" at Talladega, though since they were all accelerating from the Green Flag and at around 100mph, the carnage was not as bad as when they're doing 200mph.

And it looks like Eric McClure is recovering well from his massive head-on crash in the Nationwide Series race at Talladega on Saturday. Good

Apparently, Ricky Bobby was there, too.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Mon 7 May 2012 - 23:06

MP5 wrote:
Apparently, Ricky Bobby was there, too.

Quick bit of trivia: that's my AKA here at the precinct. *headwheel*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 12 May 2012 - 11:38

My first in-person Grand Prix of the year and I picked it well.

Grand Prix of Spain Qualifying

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sun 13 May 2012 - 3:21

Kiskaloo wrote:My first in-person Grand Prix of the year and I picked it well.
Where do you get your information while you're at the track? I love attending these things but admit I'm always better informed (on things like a 1 degree drop in track temp) while watching on TV.

Even on television you could hear the crowd erupting during Alonso's Q3 lap.

*EDIT*
Hamilton has lost the pole!
crash.net wrote:Lewis Hamilton has been stripped of pole position and will have to start from the back of the grid for Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix, after being found to have been too light on fuel at the end of today's qualifying session.

Williams F1 driver Pastor Maldonado will now start from pole position for tomorrow's race at the Circuit de Catalunya, with local hero Fernando Alonso starting alongside him in the Ferrari. Romain Grosjean and Kimi Raikkonen will make it an all-Lotus second row in Barcelona.

Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next