Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

+6
boomer_gonz
Professor Voodoo
MP5
Alfisti
topgearbrzgt86
Kiskaloo
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 16 Jun 2014 - 6:08

Some good news;

Michael Schumacher out of coma; leaves hospital.

Professor Voodoo

Forum Posts : 3428

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 16 Jun 2014 - 8:56

Yeah, I still think Toyota is going to win the WEC as they seem to have the best package for the "sprint" races. Thinking very hard about attending the 6 Hours of the Circuit of the Americas this year (and next).

And great news about Michael.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 9:02

Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014

Spoiler:

Have to say the Red Bull Ring looks like an amazing track from an attendee’s perspective. I normally only do a European F1 trip when Spa and Monza are back to back (as I can use the week in-between to visit France and Italy), but I I could very much see a trip to next year’s Austrian Grand Prix. The hillside general admission area looks like it has a view of the full track and I would think ticket prices would not be too bad. And it’s probably a great place to…caravan. (Kara:  Guh? )

And it looks like NBCSN will be broadcasting both the GP2 Feature and the GP2 Sprint Race!  cheers

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 17:03

Catching up on highlights of WRC Round 6 - Rally Italia Sardegna - and looks like Day 2 was...interesting...

Spoiler:

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Sat 21 Jun 2014 - 17:49

Kiskaloo wrote:Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014
All the new tracks added to the schedule have been constructed under the oversight of the Herman Tilke Group...and Tilke is very fond of highly abrasive aggregate mixes in the surface.  This provides high grip and high tire wear.
The newly re-built Austrian circuit bucks this trend, with a slippery asphalt mix, and I think that's a good thing.  For years F1 has been trying to slow the cornering speeds by taking downforce off the cars...while Tilke has been adding mechanical grip with his choice of asphalt.  I hope other track owners take notice of how things go this weekend, and consider their own surfaces when it's time to re-pave.

2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread - Page 4 PA1540180.0036
This year has to be tremendously vindicating for Felipe Massa.  Although his points tally isn't what it should be he's demonstrating that he's never lost his speed.  I've said it before; this year reminds me of the 1998 season when Damon Hill drove for Jordan.  Another driver who never got the respect he deserved, recently sacked by a top team (Williams, ironically) he gave this legacy a tremendous boost by leading a Jordan 1-2 finish in Belgium.  Hopefully a good 2014 for Massa (maybe even a win?) can similarly change the way we look back on his career once he finally hangs up the helmet.

Hamilton's Q3 spin seemed like a rear brake problem to me.  Could this indicate that Mercedes' issues with their regenerative braking system were not just a Montreal fluke?  That could certainly provide a glimmer of hope to the other teams.  In spite of Williams' front row lock-out I don't think anyone doubts Mercedes is still the fastest package out there...even if cracks are appearing in their armor.

Professor Voodoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 9:13

Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014 [Final Results]

Spoiler:

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sun 22 Jun 2014 - 14:09

Kiskaloo wrote:Formula 1 Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2014 [Final Results]

Spoiler:
Jim: Ahh, it's nice to win once again, and to be right about Red Bull. (kisses Jamiebel, collects his half of the money for betting for Mercedes once) Especially if your lover roots for Mercedes. Now, if you'll excuse me, Frédéric, Jamiebel and I have some chanting to do. Something about 'jogging on, Red Bull.' Razz  dancin\\' 

topgearbrzgt86

Forum Posts : 453

Registration date : 2013-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 11:59

With the F1 Strategy Group and the FIA deciding against any meaningful cost controls for Formula One, Tony Fernandez appears to have called it a day. Rumors are that he has sold the Caterham F1 team to a Russian concern, though Dutch and Arabic suitors are also being spoken of.

The World Motorsport Council also approved that all Safety Car restarts will be standing starts (unless the Safety Car is deployed within two laps of the start of the race or five laps of the end of the race).

With McLaren moving to Honda power next year, Lotus is expected to switch to Mercedes engines in 2015. This leaves Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Caterham running Renault power and rumors are forming that Red Bull will buy out Renault F1 and launch their own engine (which would allow them to develop a new Power Unit for use starting in 2016).

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sat 28 Jun 2014 - 12:39

Kiskaloo wrote:With the F1 Strategy Group and the FIA deciding against any meaningful cost controls for Formula One, Tony Fernandez appears to have called it a day. Rumors are that he has sold the Caterham F1 team to a Russian concern, though Dutch and Arabic suitors are also being spoken of.

The World Motorsport Council also approved that all Safety Car restarts will be standing starts (unless the Safety Car is deployed within two laps of the start of the race or five laps of the end of the race).

With McLaren moving to Honda power next year, Lotus is expected to switch to Mercedes engines in 2015. This leaves Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Caterham running Renault power and rumors are forming that Red Bull will buy out Renault F1 and launch their own engine (which would allow them to develop a new Power Unit for use starting in 2016).
Shame about Tony leaving Caterham; Marussia scoring 2 points in Monaco totally ruined Caterham's chances of winning any money.

I kinda like the idea of a standing restart. The cars' clutches aren't as delicate as they once were, so it could come down to how well you start than how well you finish. How would they make it safe?

The prospect of McLaren doing well with Honda is a bit of a grey area there. They are doing pretty decently with Mercedes; and with Lotus making the switch potentially to Mercedes, could we see Lotus make a Williams-like comeback in 2015?

I personally don't see Red Bull owning Renault F1, but I do see them make their own engine with Nissan/Infiniti (they're in an engineering part of Austria), if the 2015 year goes as badly as 2014.

topgearbrzgt86

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 5:52

YouTube list for the Goodwood festival of speed 2014,
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_2810811203&feature=iv&list=PL7sUIPVISVjLYXayKQ63vPgwdhE8cV4j4&src_vid=rDQukOJsTv0

includes Koenigsegg One1 and NASCAR legend Richard Petty in his Plymouth Belvedere GTX

Felipe Massa does the hill climb in Damon Hill's 96 F1 winning Williams as well

http://grrc.goodwood.com/#/0  Goodwood website

Last edited by Awinnell on Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 6:00; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : puntuation)
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 4 Jul 2014 - 9:15

Per the Italian press, Gene Haas has signed a deal with Scuderia Ferrari for Haas Formula to become their junior works team - effectively to Ferrari what Torro Rosso is to Infiniti Red Bull Racing. And starting this weekend at Silverstone, Haas Automation sponsorship is now on the Scuderia Ferrari chassis (running through the end of the 2015 season - Haas Formula will take to the grid with the 2016 season).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 5 Jul 2014 - 9:12

2014 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix - Quaifying

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 11:35

2014 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix - Results

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 7 Jul 2014 - 3:45

Seriously. Any errors I may have made at work today are officially and entirely the fault of Kimi Raikkonen, because if he had not run over a concrete spoon drain, I would have gotten to bed at a reasonable hour.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 7 Jul 2014 - 19:09

Alfisti wrote:Seriously. Any errors I may have made at work today are officially and entirely the fault of Kimi Raikkonen, because if he had not run over a concrete spoon drain, I would have gotten to bed at a reasonable hour.
During the US broadcast pit reporter Will Buxton twice tried to get the conversation started about how this is an unintended consequence of the gigantic run-off areas provided on F1 homologated tracks now, but nobody else would take the bait.  
It's a shame that Raikkonen & Massa were both taken out by that incident, as both of their team-mates delivered excellent runs through the field.

All told though, an interesting race, and just what we needed to make the championship fight exciting again.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 21 Jul 2014 - 0:49

2014 German Grand Prix
Spoiler:

Looking forward to Hungary next; on paper it looks like advantage Hamilton but that track is known for giving us first-time winners.  Damon Hill, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button & Heikki Kovalainen all took debut victories there...a fact I'm sure Valtteri Bottas is considering.

In other news; Pastor Maldonado is confirmed at Lotus for 2015, which is sure to raise Kiskaloo's blood pressure by at least 10 points.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 26 Jul 2014 - 8:40

Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2014 - Qualifying

Spoiler:

In other Formula One news, the Grand Prix of Mexico returns to the calendar in 2015. Last held from 1986-1992, the circus will return to the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez for at least five years.

Also returning to the calendar in 2016 will be the European Grand Prix, which will be held on the streets of Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 10:25

Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2014 - Results

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 11:37

Through outright tiredness I missed the Malaysia stop and through complete negligence I nearly missed the Poland stop of this years Red Bull Air Race.

Despite his qualifying time, Paul Bonhomme was edged out of the Final 4 for once, making the Final 4 roster consisting of Hannes Arch, Nigel Lamb, Matt Hall, and Kirby Chambliss.

At the end of the Final 4 however it was Hannes Arch taking the lead shutting Nigel Lamb into 2nd place with Matt Hall and Kirby Chambliss taking 3rd and 4th respectively.

Now...on to Ascot, Berkshire in August where the boys hope to bring Air Anarchy to the UK. Very Happy
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 21:47

Speaking of Red Bull-sponsored motorsports, I've become a big fan of Red Bull Global RallyCross and the Charlotte Round this weekend was a good one.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 28 Jul 2014 - 6:31

Kiskaloo wrote:Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2014 - Results

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 10:54

Some unexpected good news for us US fans...
Alexander Rossi to make F1 race debut at Spa.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 22 Aug 2014 - 8:08

Professor Voodoo wrote:Some unexpected good news for us US fans...
Alexander Rossi to make F1 race debut at Spa.

Looks like Chilton found enough Euro under the couch cushions to meet the rent so while Rossi was in the car for Free Practice 1, Chilton will drive the remainder of the weekend.

In other news, Maldonado just wrecked in FP2 so looks like his skills haven't dulled during the break.  Razz

And Vettel's engine developed a crack so he's had to roll back to an older engine and will likely be forced to use a new - and sixth - engine at Monza, which will incur a grid penalty (as you cannot run more than five new engines per season).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT Fri 22 Aug 2014 - 20:40

That's a real shame about Rossi not yet getting a chance to race, though the message Marussia's moves sends about Chilton are not very flattering, to say the least.
PSVT
PSVT

Male

Forum Posts : 556

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 24 Aug 2014 - 13:35

Those magnificent men in their flying machines...

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 25 Aug 2014 - 4:13

ROTFL
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 25 Aug 2014 - 4:51

Spa...
Spoiler:

In other weekend motorsport news, it was wet in Sydney:
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 17:35

The inaugural Formula E race saved the excitement for the end...

Didn't actually see it as I didn't realize that FOX Sports1 was carrying it live and so I didn't add any extra time to the recording so it ended just before the accident.

Overall, the cars looks pretty slow - reminded me of the Toyota Celebrity Races at Long Beach, which I guess is kind of fitting since these cars generate the equivalent brake horsepower of a Celica or Scion. The Parade Lap was hysterical - I think you could walk faster. Also, the idea of swapping cars to complete the race is kind of silly. I would have preferred to see something like Tesla's prototype battery swapping system for the Model S where it can be done in around 90-120 seconds.

Still, early days and all...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 1:09

Kiskaloo wrote:Overall, the cars looks pretty slow - reminded me of the Toyota Celebrity Races at Long Beach, which I guess is kind of fitting since these cars generate the equivalent brake horsepower of a Celica or Scion. The Parade Lap was hysterical - I think you could walk faster. Also, the idea of swapping cars to complete the race is kind of silly. I would have preferred to see something like Tesla's prototype battery swapping system for the Model S where it can be done in around 90-120 seconds.

Still, early days and all...
We've got to start somewhere.  Personally I'm glad this championship is happening...motorsport has a way of pushing automotive technology that other modes of development can't touch.  I feel the racing community should have been on board with this much earlier.
Unfortunately I missed the inaugural race; I'm aboard a boat with no satellite TV right now.  Hopefully someone posts the complete race on Youtube.

As for the cars looking slow; I blame the choice of track.  Everything looks slow going around that gigantic Shanghai circuit, where the cars are dwarfed by the proportions of the track and buildings.  They'll be more exciting to watch as we get to the street course rounds (i.e. almost all the other races).

Edit:  Okay, I just looked up the race report.  Turns out it wasn't held at the giant F1 circuit but a smaller street track in Beijing.  Well, that blows my theory.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 22 Sep 2014 - 1:55

Singapore Grand Prix;
Spoiler:
Another race that I missed (no TV on this boat) but I caught the live timing stream on Formula1.com.  Not quite the same but better than nothing!
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 23 Sep 2014 - 9:36

Catching up on my FIA World Rally Championship thanks to the Seattle Mariners (our MLB team), who are starting to broadcast the highlight shows on their cable channel.

Finished ADAC Rallye Deutschland this morning and man, what a wild one - the first stage on Sunday morning was just nuts.

Spoiler:

Next up, Coates Hire Rally Australia this evening.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 20:46

Sebastian Vettel Leaving RBR after 2014

Who here saw that coming, eh? Well, glad to see ol' Dan' Ricciardo put Mr. 4-time in his place: behind an Aussie (no double entendre intended).

Also, I would've thought JEV Vergne would have gotten that seat - perhaps he may be coming back to STR alongside Max? (Verstappen, not Chilton Razz) If not, I foresee Carlos Sainz Jr. taking the STR seat.

Jim: I know who I'm supporting in 2015 (besides Lotus), that's for sure. (wears a Red Bull Daniel Ricciardo hat, has a smile as big as Ricciardo's)

topgearbrzgt86

Male

Fan of : Top Gear, Initial D, etc.

Original Characters : Jim, Jamiebel, Davina, Bernan, Frédéric. (More to come.)

Comments : You have to leave the space. All the time you have to leave the space!
-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 3 Oct 2014 - 21:41

And Alonso is heading to McLaren - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29487911
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 13 Oct 2014 - 21:50

Awww shit...cue the Evil Empire music from Star Wars.
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread - Page 4 Evil_e10

In other news;
Spoiler:
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 31 Oct 2014 - 11:03

With the Caterham and Marussia teams effectively having folded due to financial difficulties, the US Grand Prix this weekend will have the smallest number of starters (18) in a decade.

FOM's contracts with circuit owners requires a minimum of 8 teams (16 cars), but if Caterham and Marussia do not return for 2015, having only 18 cars would trigger the "three-car" clause for the largest teams.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Fri 31 Oct 2014 - 16:22

Kiskaloo wrote:With the Caterham and Marussia teams effectively having folded due to financial difficulties, the US Grand Prix this weekend will have the smallest number of starters (18) in a decade.

FOM's contracts with circuit owners requires a minimum of 8 teams (16 cars), but if Caterham and Marussia do not return for 2015, having only 18 cars would trigger the "three-car" clause for the largest teams.
Well, Caterham "effectively folding" may not be so in two weeks: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/31/us-motor-racing-caterham-iduskbn0ik24420141031 

But it is possible. As for Marussia, they could be going out on a bang (beating Sauber and Caterham, if things stand as they are).

topgearbrzgt86

Male

Comments : You have to leave the space. All the time you have to leave the space!
-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 5:28

I'll say this: Circuit of the Americas is a good-un.

That said, I think the highlight of the weekend has to be:
Spoiler:
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 10:50

Alfisti wrote:I'll say this: Circuit of the Americas is a good-un.
Indeed. Midfield battles galore, Hammer-Time Hamilton, and Lotus [minimal-]points (eat your heart out, Kisk. Razz) make it a classic USGP.

Also, no doubt that Daniel's facial hair is going to bring some popularity back to Red Bull (after their "Multi-21" incident). Big props to Mr. Smiley there.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 13:20

Okay...I've been avoiding this thread and the risk of spoilers but I've finally gotten home to watch the recording of Sunday's race.

Nothing too unpredictable.  Hamilton certainly has the pace this year, and the WDC is looking more and more likely for him, but Rosberg's 2nd place finish guarantees this will go down to the final round in Abu Dhabi.

With only 18 cars starting...and the current points structure awarding points down to 10th place this is the first race in memory where more than half the field was assured of points when taking to the grid.  I wonder if that has ever happened before...?

Both Sauber drivers appear to be out for 2015, with Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson signed for next year.  Gutierrez has admitted his hopes of staying in F1 now look "quite slim" (which must be disappointing with a GP in Mexico City next year) and Sutil says "I need to talk to the team".  Adrian still has a year left on his contract, so somebody must be bringing money to the team because Sauber certainly doesn't have the cash to buy him out themselves.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 14:15

I actually quite enjoyed this rendition of the United States Grand Prix, even with the smaller field. Hamilton winning didn't surprise me either, though I was somewhat amazed at the job Vettel did to finish 7th starting from the pit lane and doing four pit stops in between. Lots of battles up and down the field as well. It all leads to quite the ending with the three races we have remaining. (What...? Abu Dhabi is counted twice, after all.)

Professor Voodoo wrote:With only 18 cars starting...and the current points structure awarding points down to 10th place this is the first race in memory where more than half the field was assured of points when taking to the grid.  I wonder if that has ever happened before...?

At least they weren't all guaranteed of actually scoring points. 2005 United States Grand Prix, I'm looking at you.
PSVT
PSVT

Male

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 7 Nov 2014 - 21:29

The Marussia F1 team is now officially dead, however there are rumors the original owners, Manor Grand Prix, will buy the assets of the team and be back in 2015. 

However, the new team will not get the monies Marussia would have earned from finishing 10th in the Constructor's Championship thanks to Bianchi's Monaco results - those now go to Sauber (which will probably help keep them alive for 2015).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 10:55

According to The Guardian, with Marussia dead and Caterham unlikely to make Abu Dhabi (which would end them, as well, as they would be in breach of contract with the FIA and FOM), Bernie has invoked the "three car clause" and for 2015 both Ferrari and Red Bull will run three cars.

This could be interesting for Alonso as one of the rumored hold-ups for releasing him to go to McLaren is the amount of money Ferrari will have to pay to break their contract with him. So with Ferrari running three cars, could Ferrari put forward a triple WDC driving trio?

The paper is also reporting that Bernie Ecclestone evidently has secured his wish and starting in 2016 "customer cars" will be allowed. This is good news for the US constructor - Haas F1 - who will now run Ferrari-supplied chassis in addition to Ferrari-supplied engines and Toro Rosso will once again share chassis design and development with Infiniti Red Bull Racing as they did in 2006.

IMO, this will put additional financial pressure on Lotus, Force India and Sauber as they will not be able to complete with customer teams like Haas F1 and Toro Rosso if they attempt to continue to build their own chassis. So they will all need to become customer teams themselves or close-up. And considering the costs of that, I'm not overly hopeful that all three of them will still be on the grid in 2016.

2014 Formula 1 Grande Prêmio Petrobras do Brasil 2014 (Results)

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 15:34

Kiskaloo wrote:According to The Guardian, with Marussia dead and Caterham unlikely to make Abu Dhabi (which would end them, as well, as they would be in breach of contract with the FIA and FOM), Bernie has invoked the "three car clause" and for 2015 both Ferrari and Red Bull will run three cars.

This could be interesting for Alonso as one of the rumored hold-ups for releasing him to go to McLaren is the amount of money Ferrari will have to pay to break their contract with him. So with Ferrari running three cars, could Ferrari put forward a triple WDC driving trio?

The paper is also reporting that Bernie Ecclestone evidently has secured his wish and starting in 2016 "customer cars" will be allowed. This is good news for the US constructor - Haas F1 - who will now run Ferrari-supplied chassis in addition to Ferrari-supplied engines and Toro Rosso will once again share chassis design and development with Infiniti Red Bull Racing as they did in 2006.

IMO, this will put additional financial pressure on Lotus, Force India and Sauber as they will not be able to complete with customer teams like Haas F1 and Toro Rosso if they attempt to continue to build their own chassis. So they will all need to become customer teams themselves or close-up. And considering the costs of that, I'm not overly hopeful that all three of them will still be on the grid in 2016.
This does put forth a few of questions for me;

1) With Red Bull running 3 cars, will Jean-Eric Vergne move to IRBR with Daniil Kvyat, thereby leaving Carlos Sainz Jr. with Max Verstappen at STR?

2) Williams put forth a lot of money going into 2014 - won't they be in trouble in 2015, considering the huge losses they may have, even with said Petrobras backing (by Felipe Massa) and Martini?

3) We know the whole Vettel-Raikkonen story (in short; good friends, no bull), but will the new Vettel move lead to this hyped Ferrari "super-team?" (follow-up: When Raikkonen leaves, who takes his place?)

A couple of opinions I have (some optimistic, others realistic);

1) We may be seeing Haas F1 (which may actually become reality, come December '15, according to Guenther Steiner) vs. Toro Rosso (or Mini-Ferrari vs. Mini-Red Bull, if you prefer), if the case of "customer cars" comes to be in '16. (Remember, this is all just speculation - nothing confirmed until the true news comes through.)

2) Whoever gets the role as the Mercedes B-team/main customer team (be it Lotus, Williams or Force India) will have the better foothold on the others come '16.

3) Running a full 3-car grid may not be a good thing; giving the 3-car rule to teams like Ferrari and Red Bull (or teams who are financially better off, and can afford to make a 3rd car) may seem to be the better choice, and a bit of a compromise between teams.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 21:47

Kiskaloo wrote:2014 Formula 1 Grande Prêmio Petrobras do Brasil 2014 (Results)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PSVT
PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 2:12

Old news for some, but it's now official. Fernando Alonso is out at Scuderia Ferrari, to be replaced by Sebastian Vettel, according to Ferrari's official Twitter. Interesting times lay ahead for both drivers.
PSVT
PSVT

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 10:07

PSVT wrote:Old news for some, but it's now official. Fernando Alonso is out at Scuderia Ferrari, to be replaced by Sebastian Vettel, according to Ferrari's official Twitter. Interesting times lay ahead for both drivers.

And McLaren originally planned to announce Fernando Alonso joining the team at Abu Dhabi, but have now delayed that announcement until December 1st. It is said that CEO Ron Dennis wants to pair him with Kevin Magnussen while Team Principal Eric Boullier wants to pair him with Jenson Button.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 20:47

Jean: Alright; add youtube to the list of internet sites that are banned in the cyborg dormitory.

Ferro: You're too late, they've already seen it.

Marisa: 83 feet 7 inches?  We can totally beat that!  I just gotta hit the ramp at...

Allison: NO FRIGGIN' WAY!  I do NOT do trucks!

Marisa: Aww come on...I probably won't land on top of you.

Kara: You do remember how Allie became a cyborg, don't you?
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Fri 21 Nov 2014 - 21:17

Professor Voodoo wrote:Jean: Alright; add youtube to the list of internet sites that are banned in the cyborg dormitory.

Ferro: You're too late, they've already seen it.

Marisa: 83 feet 7 inches?  We can totally beat that!  I just gotta hit the ramp at...

Allison: NO FRIGGIN' WAY!  I do NOT do trucks!

Marisa: Aww come on...I probably won't land on top of you.

Kara: You do remember how Allie became a cyborg, don't you?
Jim: I'll do it with you, Mari. Just be wary of the truck. Razz (under his breath) Anything for the Lotus team.

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 0:34

Looks like the purging at Ferrari continues in full force as they have now sacked Marco Mattiacci and replaced him with 27-year veteran Maurizio Arrivabene.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30179916
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 11 Dec 2014 - 6:38

Perhaps the last big news of the year; McLaren-Honda has announced their 2015 line-up.
It's Alonso and Button.  Kevin Magnussen is retained as the team third driver (Woking having lost long time test driver Gary Paffett when they dropped the Mercedes engines).
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 11 Dec 2014 - 7:59

I'm quite happy with that bit of news, finally... it was a bit off how long McLaren left making the announcement. Considering they're going to a completely new engine (again) next year, it's probably a good decision to keep the two more experience drivers running the race seats. I am, however, glad to see Magnussen keeping a seat as well, even if it's not a race one. He put in a good performance this year and it would be a pity to see him have to bow out completely.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Thu 11 Dec 2014 - 11:12

Alfisti wrote:I'm quite happy with that bit of news, finally... it was a bit off how long McLaren left making the announcement. Considering they're going to a completely new engine (again) next year, it's probably a good decision to keep the two more experience drivers running the race seats. I am, however, glad to see Magnussen keeping a seat as well, even if it's not a race one. He put in a good performance this year and it would be a pity to see him have to bow out completely.

Also happy here for Macca's decision. Besides, both Alonso and Button are in the waning years of their talent, and should one or both of them retire, then K-Mag and/or Stoffel Vandoorne (most likely Magnussen) fill the remaining seats.

And according to Autosport, Magnussen is their "test, reserve, and third driver" all in one. Good to know, since he'd get a lot more seat time than just being one or the other (besides the race seat).

topgearbrzgt86

Male

-Fernando Alonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 17:58

I'll just leave this here....
2014 World Motorsports Discussion Thread - Page 4 10881748_10153514427749782_3972631663312046350_n
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 18 Jul 2015 - 15:17

A sad footnote to the 2014 F1 season - Former Marussia (Manor) F1 Driver Jules Bianchi has passed.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4