Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 Anime

+8
Piero
Three Dog
Awinnell
Officer_Charon
Alfisti
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika
Entropy
Kiskaloo
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fall 2012 Anime Empty Fall 2012 Anime

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 12:20

Looks like the Fall 2012 Anime Charts are now out, so after a first pass I have pencilled in the following television shows:

Seitokai no Ichizon Level 2
Suki-tte Ii na yo.
Hidamari Sketch × Honeycomb
Shin Sekai Yori [From the New World]
Girls und Panzer
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

For OAVs / OADs, it's nice to see a new Minami-ke and I'm in for Upotte!! (just for the LULZ) and The iDOLM@STER.

Movies look good - two Puella Madoka Magica movies (which will screen in five major US cities, as well). Plus Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo and more Yamato 2199.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 19:23; edited 5 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Fall 2012 Anime Empty Re: Fall 2012 Anime

Post by Entropy Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 16:07

Here's the chart:

Fall 2012 Anime Ibbfzrzuu8y9tT

Wow, Upotte, Little Busters, and a show about girls with tanks. Looks like they're really trying to get to that demographic.

Anyway I've missed Hidamari Sketch, so it will be nice to see them again. Girls und Panzer is worth a shot I guess, simply out of curiosity. K looks mysterious and possibly good. Haitai Nanafa also looks like a change of pace. Might also give Shin Sekai Yori a try.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Sat 22 Sep 2012 - 18:43

Girls und Panzer......it's worth a shot.......
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 2 Oct 2012 - 8:35

Kiskaloo wrote:...more Yamato 2199.
cheers

Girls in tanks huh? I might try that; if only to see if it can top the last "girls in tanks" (well, "girl in tank"... singular) show I watched... which was the brilliantly bonkers Dominon Tank Police...

...and it was awesome.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 4 Oct 2012 - 11:54

Shin Sekai Yori [From the New World] - Episode 01

In the future Japan has become a fractured country, and small towns now exist. The rulers of this world have the power of Telekinesis. When an incident occurs, 5 children come to realize the world is not as it seems, and learn the bloody history behind this world. These 5 children unite and help the world as it falls into a downward spiral of chaos.

The episode starts in the present day with a number of Japanese kids going "Akira" and using their telekinetic powers to kill and destroy. The story then moves forward 1000 years to a small village in the countryside where young Saki Watanabe finally attains her "Spirit of Adulthood" - the awakening of her telekinetic powers. In this future time, when these powers are awakened in a person a ceremony is held to purge them of their "earthly desires" and they are sent to a school to learn how to control their telekinesis. It also sounds like if one does not attain their "Spirit of Adulthood" by a certain time, they are killed (supposedly by a "Cat God").

Based on the series synopsis, I am guessing that when humans started attaining telekinetic powers it either caused the collapse and regression of humanity or those with these powers were rounded up and exiled to keep them away from the rest of humanity.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Episode 01

Bookworm Shizuku Mizutani has few interests besides her grade and future career. Requested by her teacher, Mizutani brought handouts to Haru Yoshida, a boy who should have been seated next to her but was suspended due to injuring another student in a fight on the first day of school. Because of the favor, Yoshida now considers Mizutani a friend, and she also learns that Yoshida is in fact a very nice, gentle guy.

As romantic comedies go, this could be as awesome as Kimi ni Todoke. Good

Kamisama Hajimemashita - Episode 01

After her father having run away due to gambling debts, and being evicted from her apartment, Nanami meets Mikage, a strange man who is afraid of dogs. Nanami "saves" Mikage from a dog and tells him her story. He gives Nanami his house as a thank you for saving him. Nanami accepts the offer, due to having nowhere else to go. Mikage draws her up a map showing her where to go. Upon arriving, she finds that it is a rundown shrine. Nanami is then almost killed by Tomoe, who was expecting Mikage to finally return after his 20 year absence. She is then greeted by both Onikiri and Kotetsu, as the new land god of the shrine. Unable to accept Nanami as the new land god, Tomoe mocks her then leaves the shrine, which, without Tomoe's power transforms back into a run-down state. Not wanting to rob Tomoe of his home and realizing that her powers as a god are too weak anyway Nanami leaves, but eventually is brought back by Tomoe after she seals a contract with him, making him her familiar.

Totally hooked.

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 01

High school freshman Yūta Togashi was once a "chūnibyō patient" i.e. an overly self-conscious middle schooler. He wants to bury this embarrassing past and begins a new life in high school -- unsuccessfully. His classmate Rikka Takanashi, a "current" chūnibyō patient, has found traces of residual symptoms on him and used the fact to force Togashi "making a contract" with her.

What is it with cute girls and eyepatches in anime? No matter, they're cute*. As is the entire female cast. And it's a KyoAni project. So I'm definitely in.

* - In Rikka Takanashi's case, adorable, actually.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 4 Oct 2012 - 16:07

I think Dominion's about due for a reboot... I would LOVE to see an actual version using his "No More Noise" universe.... you know, one that wouldn't suck.

As it is, despite the crazy premise, I might give Girls und Panzer a go... Honestly, when it comes to my Girls with Guns, I prefer something like GsG or So Ra No Wo To - not candy floss.

Not sure which of the others I will end up watching... debating going whole hog on my Crunchyroll membership...
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 16:51

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! [Lite] - Episodes 01 and 02
In addition to the main show, KyoAni is also releasing a series of ~5 minute ONAs via their YouTube Channel. I now officially heart Rikka Takanashi.

Ebiten: Kōritsu Ebisugawa Kōkō Tenmonbu - Episode 01

Itsuki Noya is a new student at Ebisugawa High School who has an interest in astronomy and decides to join the Astronomy Club (天文部 tenmon-bu?). However, Itsuki mistakenly joins the similarly named Asstronomical Club (天悶部 tenmon-bu?): a club for female otaku with fujoshi interests.

Fall 2012 Anime How-About-No

Busou Shinki - Episode 01

High school freshman Rihito, who just came back from abroad, started a new life in Japan with his four Busou Shinki, female action figures with weapons.

Busou Shinki are a line of action figures released by Konami Digital Entertainment. So they made an anime of it.

...ugh.

Arnval is adorable, and the rest are cute and have nice racks, but I just can't bring myself to watch it.

Little Busters - Episode 01
Little Busters is an adaptation of Key's romance adventure visual novel of the same name. Riki Naoe was orphaned when his parents died, but his depression is slowly lifted when he befriends a group of kids calling themselves the Little Busters. The series takes place during his second year of high school.
An anime adaption of a Key Visual Novel? How can I not be in?

Actually, the first episode was a bit over the top at times, but w'ever. And while I prefer KyoAni to handle my Key adaptions, J.C. Staff are a solid group in their own right.

Suki-tte Ii na yo. [Say, “I Love You”] - Episode 01
For 16 years, Mei Tachibana has never had a boyfriend or made any friends. Then one day, a little misunderstanding causes her to hurt Yamato Kurosawa, the school's most popular guy, but for some reason he takes a liking to her and starts calling her his friend.
Very similar in style to this season's Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [My Little Monster], though in this show the girl playing the "tough" role and it is the guy trying to break through the shell. Still, looks to be a winner like Tonari.

Teekyū - Episode 01
Slice-of-life story about a group of four girls on the school tennis team. They rarely play tennis.
Very dumb, but only two minutes long, so you need not suffer long...

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! - Episode 01
The story centers around Akito Himenokōji, a boy who was separated from his twin sister Akiko, but they end up living under the same roof together during high school.
While true, this synopsis doesn't set up the actual show at all. Place Yui Hirasawa's IQ and mannerisms in the body of Mio Akiyama and you get Akiko Himenokōji. Actually, she reminds me a great deal of Aoi Yamada from Working!! The Moe is strong in this one and at first, you think resistance is futile.

Then you find out she has a Brother Complex almost as strong as Nao Takanashi from Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne—!! (though she's not nearly as aggressive about trying to get laid) and it just gets creepy. And it is also a harem anime.

It sucks like a Dyson.

Fall 2012 Anime HereistoFail

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 16:08; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 8 Oct 2012 - 17:32

Ixion Saga DT,your usual guy transported to another world,but he has no idea where, how, or why he got there

the end fight scene was funny,and goes aginst most anime fight scene set ups deliberately, though you could see it being set up like that itself earlier in the show lol
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 7:34

Girls Und Panzer,i think one thing stands out about that show,whoever wrote it knows nothing about tanks !

Last edited by Awinnell on Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:01; edited 1 time in total
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 10:31

Girls und Panzer - Episode 01
n this world, Sensha-do (戦車道), the art of tank-combat, is a traditional Japanese martial art for girls. Miho, a girl who just transfered into the Ōrai Girls' Academy in Ibaraki Prefecture, has been ordered by the academy's student council chairperson to join the school team and compete in the national Sensha-do championships.
"Mizushima, you magnificent bastard! I watched your anime!"

It is shows like this that make me appreciate the thought and care given to the development and plotting of Strike Witches. Yeah, I actually just said that. Razz

As concepts go, it's not quite as ridiculous as Upotte!!, but Jesus H. Christ. And the really sad part? Creator and Director Tsutomu Mizushima helmed some of my favorite anime, including Squid Girl, Another and Blood-C.

Awinnell wrote:Girls Und Panzer,i think one thing stands out about that show,whoever wrote knows nothing about tanks !

Like anyone is watching this show for the tanks. Wink

That being said, it looks like the military history advisor for Strike Witches and Upotte!!, Takaaki Suzuki, is advising this project, as well. Still, based on Upotte!!, I am expecting a Sunset Limited level of train wreck.

Commie Subs are normally my fansubber of choice, but they intersperse German words and phrases throughout their translation and it's really annoying, so I hope some other fan-subbing picks this up because, yes, I intend to keep watching it just to see how bad it gets. Very Happy

And this show would be better, IMO, if the girls were in uniform and not seifuku:

Fall 2012 Anime Girls_Und_Panzer_01
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 11:50

"we will have trouble penetrating their frontal armour with our Panzer 4's main gun"

as in not at all,the one they are in is an infantry support tank with a short barreled howitzer,wasn't even issued armour piercing rounds

Fall 2012 Anime German10

Last edited by Awinnell on Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 16:20; edited 1 time in total
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 12:52

Sakurasou Pet no Kanojo surprised me a bit, one of my guilty pleasures was Shaft's Denpa Onna no Seishun Otoko and it seems like this one is ripping several pages out of that book, but in an interesting and.... fun way. Instead of the girl just being a delusional recluse like in Denpa Onna, in Sakurasou the girl instead seems to have little concept of fitting in a public setting, as well as having no concept of... decency. What really makes it are some of the other characters, though, who all inhabit an off-campus dormitory for an art school (which will bring me back to Hidamari Sketch, of course...), but unlike Hidamari Sketch, the people who live in this house are actually crazy, the place commonly being referred to as a loony bin, but pretty much all are also very talented. The main character is stereotypical but also interesting in his own way. It's probably not for everyone but it might be worth checking out if you're into comedy and pretty heavy moe.

Speaking of moe, the 4th season of Hidamari Sketch by Shaft promises to be as good as the previous, although they seemed to turn the classic "Shaft look" dial up to 11.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 13:43

Sakurasou Pet no Kanojo [The Pet Girl of Sakurasou] - Episode 01
Sakura Dormitory is a dorm of the high school affiliated with Suimei University of the Arts (often shortened as Suiko), which hosts the strangest, trouble-making students. After being kicked out of the normal dorm for keeping a stray cat, Sorata Kanta moves into Sakura Dormitory. As he starts to get used to the life in the dorm, Mashiro Shiina, a world famous artist who cannot even take care of her daily life, moves in. Sorata is forced to become Mashiro's handler. The story is about their daily life as well as mental growth.

I tend to enjoy slapstick anime comedies, so I'll probably like this one even though the first episode didn't grab me. It strikes me like the cast of Baka Test living at Maison Ikkoku (but without a competent manager like Kyoko Otanashi). Misaki Kamiigusa is like Minorin from Toradora on way too much coffee, which I actually think is a good thing (her zaniness is what I loved about Minorin) and while the rest of the cast seemed to be stereotypes, they're played to them well so... I'll take this one episode by episode.

Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi [Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life] - Episodes 01 and 02
The daily life of Wooser, a mysterious "animal" that lives on the Internet, with a cute look but a terrible personality.

Wakarimasen....

Entropy wrote:Speaking of moe, the 4th season of Hidamari Sketch by Shaft promises to be as good as the previous, although they seemed to turn the classic "Shaft look" dial up to 11.

Hidamari Sketch is a show I've long been meaning to watch. I snagged the DVDs from the first series from the library. I downloaded the first episode of Hidamari Sketch × Honeycomb, but I have a feeling I'll be totally lost having not seen the previous three series.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 10 Oct 2012 - 19:24; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 15:17

Kiskaloo wrote:
Entropy wrote:Speaking of moe, the 4th season of Hidamari Sketch by Shaft promises to be as good as the previous, although they seemed to turn the classic "Shaft look" dial up to 11.

Hidamari Sketch is a show I've long been meaning to watch. I snagged the DVDs from the first series from the library. I downloaded the first episode of Hidamari Sketch × Honeycomb, but I have a feeling I'll be totally lost having not seen the previous three series.

Hidamari Sketch, in classic Shaft fashion, is not actually told in chronological order (the 4koma was). But there's no central plot line to follow, so it doesn't matter much, so long as you can try and keep track of which year and part of the year you're in. There are guides out there if you would want to watch it in chronological order. The first episode of Honeycomb does an alright job of introducing the characters and what each one is known for in a basic sense, but I'm not sure if it would be adequate as I've watched the rest of the episodes.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 16:19

I just finished the first episode and it seemed to be okay to follow along. Not as good as GA - Geijutsuka Art Design Class, IMO.

I mean as an anime based on a 4-koma, I expect there are no grand story arcs or anything in any of the series, much less across them, correct? I would expect it to just be shedloads of standalone stories.

And man, I thought Shaft sucked balls when it comes to animation, but this is hands-down the worst animation I have ever seen. Though thankfully it doesn't have the usual Shaft ADD visuals. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 15 Oct 2012 - 14:59

Robotics;Notes - Episode 01
In 2019, Kaito Yashio is a member of his school's robotics club and a fan of fighting games. His classmate Akiho is a world renowned programmer of fighting games. Together they decide to create an actual giant robot and seek help from their friends.
It's like Tari Tari, but with giant robots instead of choir.

Suki-tte Ii na yo. [Say, “I Love You”] - Episode 02
Yes. Yes. And More Yes. A sheet cake of victory.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Episodes 02 and 03
Another show that is full of win.

Kamisama Hajimemashita - Episode 02
This show hits all the right buttons with me.

Little Busters - Episode 02
Pretty wacky for a Key VN, but that might not be a bad thing. *cough* Air *cough*

Shinsekai Yori - Episodes 02 and 03
This show is starting to open up about itself and it appears Episode 04 will fill in even more.

Teekyū - Episode 02
ADD would probably help me better to be able to follow this show. I really pity the typesetters - it's amazing how many words a seiyū can speak per second. Guh?

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 02
Did I mention I ♥ Rikka Takanashi? And Toka Takanashi is awesome.

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! Lite - Episode 03
Learned some more about Yūta Togashi when he suffered from chūnibyō.

Fall 2012 Anime Rikka_Takanashi_Oppa_Gangnam_Style
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 3:01

Damn do I have a bit of catching up to do.

Well, from what I read, "Girls Und Panzer" sounded kind of terrible, so I'll definatley be watching that. "Little Busters" sounds a bit bad too, so that's another my eye will be on Razz Aside from those two, Imma watch me some "Jormungand: Perfect Order".
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 6:13

Girls Und Panzer - BY GOD! That was horrible. The seemingly random German words, I was pink tank, and the ship at the end! But I have to say, not a bad training program to ensure that your nation always has able bodied tank crews for a time of crisis while also bolstering national pride (reminded me of Nazi propaganda in fact). Of course, judging by the history of some of the folk invovled, I doubt it goes that deep. Anyway, I look foward to the next episode Smile
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 11:40

Girls und Panzer - Episode 02
It's better than Upotte!!, but that is more because it has a larger cast and where Girls und Panzer's premise is silly, Upotte!!'s was just asinine. I can't slap it around too much since I do intend to keep watching it so there is some entertainment value, but like Upotte!!, this is just a cheaply made and composed project created to appeal to "guntaku" (of which I am not). And as Commie Subs again is the first to release, I had to suffer their craptastic "German" script.

Oh. And Kara has officially dropped the show (you'll understand if you watch the episode. Wink )

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Episode 02
This show has polarized the reviewers at Anime News Network and I'm starting to find myself leaning towards those who don't like it. It could certainly be worse, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty low.

If Mashiro Shiina was an autistic savant (a more functional version of Rain Man's Raymond Babbitt), I'd buy the premise. But she's really just there for male-fantasy-fulfillment through the empty avatar of Sorata Kanda. It also doesn't help that she looks like an older Rin Kaga from Usagi Drop and thinking of that wonderful person being degraded by proxy does not sit well with me. Add in that the rest of the cast appear to be just a bunch of sex-crazed one-dimensional cutouts and this is a show I don't expect to be following long.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 19:07

Kiskaloo wrote:Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Episode 02
This show has polarized the reviewers at Anime News Network and I'm starting to find myself leaning towards those who don't like it. It could certainly be worse, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty low.

If Mashiro Shiina was an autistic savant (a more functional version of Rain Man's Raymond Babbitt), I'd buy the premise. But she's really just there for male-fantasy-fulfillment through the empty avatar of Sorata Kanda. It also doesn't help that she looks like an older Rin Kaga from Usagi Drop and thinking of that wonderful person being degraded by proxy does not sit well with me. Add in that the rest of the cast appear to be just a bunch of sex-crazed one-dimensional cutouts and this is a show I don't expect to be following long.

Well you're not that alone as I'm a bit lukewarm on it as well so far. On one hand, there's something I find irresistible about Shiina's and Misaki's personalities. Sure, it's tropey, but it does the tropes pretty well in an enjoyable manner, with the exception of the classmate friend who is just boringly stereotypical. It does seem like there is a good bit of unnecessary fanservice, but such things can't seem to be helped in today's anime. It's still good enough for a good bored watch then and again, if for no other reason than "helpless girl" moe. The "twist" at the end also could present an interesting plot point later.

Also, I wouldn't expect them to ever do an anime featuring someone who is actually autistic or with any other disorder like it. Not only would any representation, accurate or not, be considered inappropriate for a comedy show, but I also think there are laws regarding the portrayal of such disorders in the media.

Last edited by Entropy on Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 20:49; edited 1 time in total
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 20:19

Entropy wrote:Also, I would expect them to never do an anime featuring someone who is actually autistic or with any other disorder like it. Not only would any representation, accurate or not, be considered inappropriate for a comedy show, but I also thing there are laws regarding the portrayal of such disorders in the media.

Probably true, but the Suspension of Disbelief they are asking is immense - she can't put on socks, but she can use Photoshop? Razz
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 21:05

Gyah, kind of late to the party. Well, here's my comments on a bunch of
shows. A lot of them I watched with my anime buddies but a few I
watched on my own.

Girls Und Panzer (1 Episode):
This was frankly painful to watch.
Ixion Saga DT (2 Episodes): The first episode had its funny moments but as twisted at this show is it's not finding it overly entertaining. Though it was amusing to rewatch the first episode as part of a group.
K (2 Episodes): So we've got tons of fabulous bishounen on one hand and a naked catgirl on the other. What's this show's target audience again?
Oniichan Dakedo Ai Sae This Name Is Too Freaking Long (1 Episode): It might be nice if this was meant to be a parody but it probably isn't.
Psycho Pass (1 Episode): How much enjoyment you get out of this show will probably depend a great deal on whether or not you can stomach its brutality.
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (Episode 1): Add me to the mixed feelings on this camp.
Shinsekai Yori (3 Episodes): The source material for this is supposed to have one some sci-fi award, yet somehow a lot of whats in the show seems pretty familiar. It's decent but I'm definitely not hooked at this point.
Zetsuen no Tempest (2 Episodes): Looks pretty good and has some decent action scenes, but so far I'm not all that impressed.

Between Little Busters and Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai so far I prefer the latter.

There were a few others I saw but wasn't overly impressed with either. Most of the new stuff seems kind of so-so, the shows I'm enjoying most are mostly carryovers from previous seasons.

Last edited by Piero on Wed 17 Oct 2012 - 0:41; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 22:35

Piero wrote:
K (2 Episodes): So we've got tons of fabulous bishounen on one hand and a naked catgirl on the other. What's this show's target audience again?

If there was only a group of people out there who enjoyed both genders. And if only this group of people had a name.

Whoever they are, they also liked Mawaru Penguindrum.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Wed 17 Oct 2012 - 3:53

If David and Zac's tweets about Sakurasou are any indication of how the show is "polarizing" at ANN, then people need to drop their preconceptions and realize the show is more sensitive than flippant title, synopsis and fanservice suggest. It's no worse than something like Denpa Onna, really. Ironically, reflecting on the show after the tweets made me like it and Mashiro more.

I wasn't that impressed by the first episode but the second was great, particularly the scene where Mashiro asks Sorata to model nude for her. And I do suspect that we might get a genuinely cute/sweet romance between the two. Plus, it looks like JC Staff is looking to go the Toradora route and finish the adaptation around the time the novel ends with a proper finale. Glorious.

It probably helps that I like Sakurasou's portrayal of a girl with a mental disorder better than most of Key's girl's - personal favourite Kotomi Ichinose being a notable exception.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 17 Oct 2012 - 15:54

As I noted up-thread, the suspension of disbelief I am being asked for is, IMO, ludicrous without Mashiro having some type of mental disorder (like savant syndrome). Perhaps if this season was not chock-full of brilliant romantic comedies I'd be more inclined to cut this show more of a break. And while I see little to nothing of Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko in it, for the moment, I am staying with it.

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 03
This show is just brilliant. I'm going to need a larger HDD for all the animated GIFs of Rikka-chan. sweat

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne - Episode 02
The OP animation wins the award for the most blatant and flagrant 90 seconds of fan service ever.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 18 Oct 2012 - 14:51; edited 3 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Thu 18 Oct 2012 - 1:28

Little Busters (Ep01) - An enjoyable comedy. I think it was that the dude was going to use a cat as a weapon that got me. Smile
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Thu 18 Oct 2012 - 4:28

If you’d framed it as a suspension of disbelief problem, it
probably wouldn’t have bugged me that much even if I disagree. But I have a long standing axe to grind with the
idea that shows and characters like this are just cheap-ass male wish fulfillment
(for reference, my girlfriend considers the show one of her season favourites). I stopped bothering with ANN’s reviews (heard the tweets via a grapevine)
because their constant use of this lens ended up frustrating me far, far more
than anything they said was worth to me.
Superhardcore moefags like me watch these shows for the cuteness and odd
couple romances, and while I like a bit of service it’s hardly the point. And we frequently like the heroines for
general cuteness and not because they happen to be our “type”.

I doubt the show intends to actually specify what mental
illness Mashiro has. I remember
discussing this topic in regards to Clannad’s Kotomi – who strikes me as
clearly being somewhat autistic - with a Korean fan, and his take on it was
that Key would never dare out her because of the stigmas about mental illness
in East Asian cultures.

As for Erio… well, she’s honestly the character that comes
to mind for me, and they’re both dysfunctional to the point where I consider
the differences largely splitting hairs.
But what I was really getting at her was the style of characterization –
both are very distinct from Key “AREN’T I WEIRD UGUU” sensibilities, which,
with some wonderful exceptions like Kotomi aside, tend to bug me – a fact
Little Busters has been all too happy to remind me of with Komari.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 18 Oct 2012 - 14:49

I'm watching Little Busters because it's a Key VN adaption, but I love Key when they're doing for lack of a better term I call a "supernatural" style of story like Air and Kanon.

I enjoyed the first half of CLANNAD, mostly due to Kotomi Ichinose and Fuko Ibuki (she was the "supernatural character" in the story via her ikiryō), but started to lose interest with the second half, mostly due to my general dislike for Nagisa Furukawa. Since she was even more central in CLANNAD: After Story, I pretty much disliked that show except for Episodes 05 and 06 (which I absolutely love) and the sequences with the illusionary world girl and robot, which I loved because they had that "supernatural" aspect.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 19 Oct 2012 - 11:37

Robotics;Notes - Episode 02
I like Akiho Senomiya, but I really dislike Kaito Yashio. I'm also not a fan of mechs shows and I kinda just drifted through these two episodes, so it's dropped. That being said, if you like mecha shows, this one could be a winner for you.

With all these shows three to four episodes in, I have a solid feeling for how things are shaking out, so no more weekly updates unless something of great note happens.

Watching Because I Love The Show

Suki-tte Ii na yo.
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!

Watching Because I Think It Has Potential

Shin Sekai Yori
Little Busters
Sakurasou Pet no Kanojo

Watching Because It's Either Two Minutes an Episode or It's a Train-Wreck In Progress

Girls und Panzer
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!
Teekyū
Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi

Dropped

Robotics;Notes
Ebiten: Kōritsu Ebisugawa Kōkō Tenmonbu
Busou Shinki

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 23 Oct 2012 - 16:02; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 14:27

Minami-ke Okawari [OVA]
Welcome back, girls. It's good to see you again.

Upotte!! [OVA]
Since it's a DVD, they could crank the fan service even higher (though surprisingly not much higher) to compensate for a forgettable script.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 12:32

I'm going to have a hell of a time picking a favorite show this season...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sat 3 Nov 2012 - 17:20

[youtube][/youtube]

Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai lite has the best ending song and dance
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 3 Nov 2012 - 18:07

Episode 06 of Lite was epic.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 1:36

It's just a few short days now until Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 is unleashed on Japanese cinemas, and I have to admit that the hype machine is starting to spin me up to speed, too. I thought I'd break open Sony Vegas and welcome the new movie in with another AMV:

Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 20:17

Robert Frazer wrote:It's just a few short days now until Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 is unleashed on Japanese cinemas, and I have to admit that the hype machine is starting to spin me up to speed, too. I thought I'd break open Sony Vegas and welcome the new movie in with another AMV:

I never was much of a fan of Evangelion, but I really like the Rebuilds.

We're also about a week away from the release of the third Yamato 2199 Blu-ray.

Mid-Season Update:

Suki-tte Ii na yo.
My favorite show of the season. A perfect romantic drama.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kuni
A great romantic drama crossed with a great romantic comedy. Arguably should be my favorite show and would be if not for Suki-tte Ii na yo.

Kamisama Hajimemashitai
Absolutely brilliant comedy.

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!i
Rikka Takanashi is my waifu.

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! Litei
In some ways, better than the full show.

Little Bustersi
Different than the other Key anime I have seen, but I really liked Komari Kamikita's arc (Episodes 3-6). As a 26-episode series, I imagine there will be multiple character arcs. As with all Key anime projects, it is blessed with a brilliant soundtrack by Jun Maeda and Shinji Orito.

Shinsekai Yorii
Overall it's still keeping me involved, but I'd appreciate a few more answers. The two-year jump between Episodes 7 and 8 was a bit jarring, as well.

Girls und Panzeri
Pretty bad, but still generally watchable.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojoi
I found episodes 03 trough 06 to be significant improvements over the first two.

Teekyui
Nothing to recommend it beyond marveling at how fast four female seiyuu can talk in two minutes.

Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi
No idea what this show is about, but Rin and Ren are cute (both in their chibi and normal forms) and it's only two minutes.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 21 Nov 2012 - 2:23

Some updates:

Chuunibyou: It's had it's good moments, but overall it kind of fits in the "okay" category for me thus far.
Ixion Saga DT: While some of the episodes are lame, but others are highly entertaining. It sense of humor might be off putting to some people however. (Let's put it this way -quite a bit of the humor revolves around the protagonis (whose nickname, DT, sounds similar to the Japanese word for virgin) defeating an antagonist named Erecpyle Dukkakis (ED) with groin attacks.)
Jormungand: Perfect Order: I've sometimes felt Jormungand is at its best when bullets aren't being sprayed around. Definitely enjoying season two though.
Psycho-Pass: This is actually a pretty smart show, but its also a very disturbing one. I remember hearing that when the writer for Madoka Magica got leaked, someone tried to preserve the initial image of a cutesy show by claiming the writer wanted to do something lighter. Funny thing is, it seems that by this guy's standards Madoka Magica kind of is light fair. Fall 2012 Anime 684325 Though hey, at least I'm finding this one disturbing as opposed to wearying. Fall 2012 Anime 61015
Robotics;Notes: It's hard to tell quite where things are going to go from here, but the show seems like it might be finding its stride.
Sakurasou: It actually is pretty entertaining at times. However its also dragged down by its indulgences and cliches.
Shin Sekai Yori: About the most interesting part of the show so far was seeing it engage in a bunch of typical teen romance stuff with the twist that everyone in its sci-fi society is bisexual. Considering how much else has been going on in the story so far, that's probably not a good thing.
Zetsuen no Tempest: Yeah, I'm liking this one, even if the way the characters quote Shakespeare can be kind of jarring at times. Fall 2012 Anime 684325

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 21 Nov 2012 - 8:04

Kiskaloo wrote:I never was much of a fan of Evangelion, but I really like the Rebuilds.

We're also about a week away from the release of the third Yamato 2199 Blu-ray.
I didn't mind NGE... though I'll admit my favorite thing to do was to shove the last disk of into a DVD player on the morning after a big night and let my friends wake up to it.

Also cheers for more Yamato.

Piero wrote:whose nickname, DT, sounds similar to the Japanese word for virgin)
defeating an antagonist named Erecpyle Dukkakis (ED) with groin attacks.
Oddly enough, over here "DT" is short for "Dick Togs", otherwise known as Speedos, Budgie Smugglers and so on...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:24

Robotics;Notes seems to be going Steins;Gate. Though this time around it seems to be NASA rather than CERN that's involved in the evil conspiracy. Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 3 Dec 2012 - 17:09

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 (Episodes 07-10)

This show gets better with each episode.

And I know they're fracking with us concerning Yuki Mori.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 4 Dec 2012 - 2:53

Kiskaloo wrote:Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 (Episodes 07-10)

This show gets better with each episode.

And I know they're fracking with us concerning Yuki Mori.
Well, I know what I'm watching this weekend...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 8 Dec 2012 - 10:11

Dear Space Battleship Yamato: NOT a cool place to stop.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 8 Dec 2012 - 10:27

Alfisti wrote:Dear Space Battleship Yamato: NOT a cool place to stop.

And Volume 4 is not out until February. bang head
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 11:07

Kiskaloo wrote:

And Volume 4 is not out until February. Fall 2012 Anime 367
Damnit.

Might I just say though: this series has the best action theme ever:

The world definitely needs more of that... beats Danger Zone as a "launch all the fighters" piece hands down Very Happy
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 11:20

The various Uchuu Senkan Yamato series have an awesome soundtrack, in no small part because they use a real orchestra.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 11:23

Kiskaloo wrote:...in no small part because they use a real orchestra.
Amen. Somehow the synth version never quite cuts it.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 12:41

@Alfisti, as awesome as that song is, NOTHING will ever top "Danger Zone." Nothing.

Although "Klendathu Drop" from Starship Troopers is motivating for that sort of feel, too. Say what you will about the movie itself: Basil Poledouris can write a score.
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 17:21

Officer_Charon wrote:Although "Klendathu Drop" from Starship Troopers is motivating for that sort of feel, too. Say what you will about the movie itself: Basil Poledouris can write a score.
I loved that movie. It was terrible, but in the best way possible.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 18:29

Alfisti wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:

And Volume 4 is not out until February. Fall 2012 Anime 367
Damnit.

Might I just say though: this series has the best action theme ever:

The world definitely needs more of that... beats Danger Zone as a "launch all the fighters" piece hands down Very Happy
This is a driving theme, but I feel it lacks the raw powerrrr of DANGER ZONE. head bang
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 14 Dec 2012 - 22:59

tremec6speed wrote:This is a driving theme, but I feel it lacks the raw powerrrr of DANGER ZONE. Fall 2012 Anime 732225
I'll pay that, however what this does that Danger Zone doesn't is put a big, stupid grin on my face at the same time. Very Happy
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sat 15 Dec 2012 - 8:52

Alfisti wrote:
tremec6speed wrote:This is a driving theme, but I feel it lacks the raw powerrrr of DANGER ZONE. Fall 2012 Anime 732225
I'll pay that, however what this does that Danger Zone doesn't is put a big, stupid grin on my face at the same time. Very Happy

Then you're not listening to it at 85 miles per hour on the freeway. *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down