Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2011 Anime

+8
NeverSleep
Awinnell
Nachtsider
boomer_gonz
Piero
Alfisti
Kiskaloo
MadHatChemist
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fall 2011 Anime Empty Fall 2011 Anime

Post by MadHatChemist Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 1:30

Fall 2011 Anime 2011_f10

Busou Shinki Moon Angel -- Mecha Musume. 'Nuff said.

Guilty Crown
-- While it's another "future Japanese boy hero saves occupied Japan" show, it's by Production I.G., so I'll give it a try.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon -- Sci-fi feudal Japan. Could be interesting

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume -- Loved the first series. Hopfully this is more of the same.

Working!! -- Loved the first series. The characters were eccentric without being unrealistically off-the-wall. Hopefully more of the same.

Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam -- The first Las Exile series is still one of the most beautifully done anime series, period. I'm also a sucker for anything Range Murata

Lupin III
-- I don't know if this iteration will be any good, but heck, it is Lupin III.

Mirai Nikki -- I've heard great things about the manga, and I'll be giving this one a shot too.

Shakugan no Shana III (final) -- I've always thought that this series transended it's tsundere loli catagorization to give decent characters that actually evolve and grow. I'll be looking forward to this one.

Ben-To -- "Supermarket Survival Battle" It'll probably be stupid, but on the off chance it isn't, I'll give it a shot.

C^3 Cube x Cursed x Curious
-- I'm not sure what to make of this series, but if it has a myserious black cube, I'll give it an episode or two...

Hidamari Sketch x SP
-- Shinbo goodness with a Zen empty aftertaste.

Boku wa Tomadachi ga Sukunai
-- Another comedy based on "oddballs." I'll give it a shot on the chance they got it right.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Fall 2011 Anime Empty Re: Fall 2011 Anime

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 2:15

Must watch:

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Working!!
Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam

Will give it a shot:

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Tamayura -hitotose-

Looks like a great set of specials, as well.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 7:17

Kiskaloo wrote:Must watch:
Working!!

Essentially? What he said...
...you have no idea how psyched I am for more Last Exile.

Also... what appears to be more Lupin.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 10:09

Is there a version of that chart where the text for the descriptions is big enough to read?

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 13:46

Piero wrote:Is there a version of that chart where the text for the descriptions is big enough to read?

Google Image Search brings up a few 1500x3000 ones.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 16:56

Chihayafuru
-I say it's another Yu-Gi-Oh clone, but apparently the manga is out of this world. Colour me intrigued.

Fate/Zero
-....Yeah whatever. Razz

Tamayura -Hitose-
-It's Tamayura, 'nuff said. I expect either epic AWWZ or some solid choking up. I am such a shoujo whore. -.-

Mashiro-Iro Symphony
-My guess is, it's gonna be typical and predictable, but so long as the protagonist doesn't go Makoto(School Days), it might still be an enjoyable watch.

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai
-Hoping the slapstick isn't hype.

Lupin III
-Yeah boi!! Do work son!!!

Mirai Nikki
-Again, another highly reputable manga gets it's own series. Above that though the underlying plot seems very interesting and actually catches my ear more so than Deathnote did.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukinai
-The plot is intriguing, but it might be another harem. Giving it the three episode test just to be sure.

Ben-to
-Going out on a limb here, but if I don't see epic LOLZ I'm gonna drop it quick.

Granted I didn't list Last Exile, Working'!!, or the new Gundam; but truth be told I haven't seem their predecessors so before I digest these, I see it as only fitting that I marathon the predecessors.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2011 - 0:29

I just remember. Persona 4 the animation is just coming in Fall 2011. You guys and ladies are you excited?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 8:31

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume - 01

Like Futurama, came back as strong as where it left off. cheers

Fall 2011 Anime Shinryaku_01
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:13

I collect Busou Shinkis. I love Busou Shinkis. But the cartoon, pretty though it may look, is little more than glorified Pokemon.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:07

As usual I'll likely end up sampling quite a bit of different stuff. It's fairly common for me to end up liking stuff that didn't interest me much from the description.

That being said, these shows interest me:

Ben-to: Not too sure about this one but Yukari Tamura and Yui Horie playing a pair of twins in it. Yukari Tamura is great at playing batshit insane characters and Yui Horie is good at playing tsunderes, and they've worked pretty well as a duo in the past, so...
Fate/Zero: Hopefully it will be more accessible for the non-initiated than the movie was. Fall 2011 Anime 684325
Guilty Crown: Souns like a Code Geass knock off done by Production IG. Code Geass was a trainwreck, but it was also a lot of fun. Plus they've got Yoshino as the main writer rather than an associate one for this project, so maybe there won't be as many ass pull plots twists as there were in Geass.
Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam: I thought the original was a pretty decent show even if it kind of lost it near the end. Different studio for this one, but it's the same director as the original (said director also did season one of Full Metal Panic).
Lupin III: Haven't actually seen much of this franchise but I've found some of what I did see fun.

There was a summary of Un-Go I found somewhere that made it sound kind of interesting. I might also check out season two of Working, though I'm not so sure how well the second season will stand up. I don't remember it being all that great -I seem to remember there weren't a lot of particularly great shows that season.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 20:50

Ah! My Goddess - Itsumo Futari de OAV 02

More cute goddesses for more goodness. Good
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 8:10

Fate/Zero - 01

Since this is a prequel to Fate/Stay, I don't plan to watch it (at least for the moment - I may download and store it), but Loli Rin is adorable (you'll need your Moe Shields set to Maximum) and Irisviel Von Einzbern is hot to the point of incandescence.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 7 Oct 2011 - 20:41

So I chewed through a bunch of the new Fall shows. I watch way too much television, so I decided to cut any show that didn't hook me with the initial episode. If the Critic's Consensus is that a show I cut turned out to be amazing, I can always catch up later.

First off, nice zings at the Breast Otaku crowd in a few of these shows. Second, as I expected, the animation style that AIC introduced with Denpa Onna is spreading.

Made the First Round

Chihayafuru
Hooked at the OP.

Shinruaku! Ika Musume
Still silly, which is a good thing.

Tamayura ~hitotose~
I have high hopes for this one.

Working!!
I enjoyed the first series, so here's hoping he magic is still there second time around.

Cut in the First Round

Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
Looks like it will turn out to be a harem comedy based on the OP animation - and likely not a very good one based on the first episode.

C3 [Cube x Cursed x Curious]
A genre I have seen plenty of times before and really don't feel like seeing again.

Kimi to Boku
The opening episode was pretty much about nothing.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
The last train wreck I saw of this magnitude opened the movie Unbreakable.

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Lots of cute girls, but also lots of dumb.

Mashiro Iro Symphony
I tend to like dating sims turned into anime, but this one is very dull and dripping with moe. Sakano is cute, but she's also as sharp as a bowling ball. And what the heck is up with that creature?

Persona 4: The Animation
Didn't really get it, but then it is based on a video game series so prior knowledge probably helps.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 9 Oct 2011 - 16:36

Ben-to,ikkitousen without the excessive boobs and set in a supermarket ,fights over half priced ready meals
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 9 Oct 2011 - 17:38

Maken-ki
Less than two minutes in I knew all I needed to know about this show - that it's for the hentai otaku crowd. At which point I hit stop and then delete.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 10 Oct 2011 - 21:55

Watched a couple episodes of stuff with friends who are into anime and a few episodes on my own. Here's some thoughts on the things I've seen so far:

C3: I'm told to expect a drastic shift in mood/tone, but my initial reaction was pretty much "even Yukari Tamura can't save this show."
Ben-to: I'm not sure that Yukari Tamura can save this show either.
Horizon: How on earth did a respectable animation company like Sunrise get talked into making this?
Fate/Zero: Not sure how I'm going to like this considering how dislikeable some of the characters are. On the plus side, the second episode spent far less time info dumping on the audience than the first did.
Phi-Brain: I remember this being somewhat entertaining when I watched it with my anime buddies. I don't remember being all that impressed though.

Not the greatest showing thus far, but there's a few shows I'm interested in that I haven't seen yet, and there's still a chance that some show I wasn't expecting much of will prove to be entertaining.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NeverSleep Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 11:04

Kiskaloo wrote:Persona 4: The Animation
Didn't really get it, but then it is based on a video game series so prior knowledge probably helps.
Just watch this series:

This season... well, I was only hyped for Shakugan no Shana Final since I am a reader of the novels, have them up to the first arc of this season (Volume 15) and don't have enough money to import the missing volumes right now. So the anime is a must at least to know how this will end, I've read some spoilers on the japanese wikipedia but it isn't the same as reading/watching the thing itself.

The opening is godly.

Before the season started I've checked two of the original novels that were to be animated: Fate/Zero and Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai.

Fate/Zero: Well, it will be okay, at least for me who is quite experienced with the Nasuverse the anime is really following the novel, just omitting tons of useless stuff that usually comes with projects with Nasu involved (he supervised Fate/Zero), the writer this time is Urobuchi, which I also don't like the writing style very much, so this is like a Heaven's Feel (the edgier and darker route of Fate/Stay Night eroge) with much more evil, pain, torture and sadness. But even so, it will be worth giving a shot because of the fight sequences that are to come, and since most of the useless stuff being cut out so I don't have to hear about how magic circuits make the flesh of the caster burn every time he tries to cast a spell.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Terribad. After volume 1 you can clearly tell that it's just another moeblob comedy, but the characters lacks charisma.

Mirai Nikki: Just like the manga... animated, in colors, with Wakamoto Norio and an epic sountrack. Must check if you like mistery/action/psychological stories, it is pretty much like Death Note, but just better.
NeverSleep
NeverSleep

Male

Forum Posts : 32

Fan of : Petra

Comments : Don't stop the beats!

Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 13 Oct 2011 - 20:34

UN-GO
Kinda weird, but also kinda interesting.

Guilty Crown
A pretty strong opening sequence and when they put their mind to it, Production I.G. is almost as good as Madhouse.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 23:47

Well, there are a number of shows I could comment on, but today I watched the first episode of Last Exile: Fam -the Silver Wing, and I want to give it proper attention. Simply put, this show is awesome. Sure there's some weird fan service and I have significant reservations about the radically altered cast demographics (definitely pandering to recent trends), but that doesn't change the fact that it's fun, adventurous, and looks great. I had mixed feelings about the episode initially but the later parts won me over. Of all the new shows I've seen so far this season, this one seems the most promising. (I should probably admit that I haven't rewatched the original Last Exile in quite a while however.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 23:55

Last Exile ~Fam, The Silver Wing~

The first half kind of scared me, but the second half was significantly better. Murata's character designs are great and GONZO's CG is as craptastic as ever. Smile

Time will tell if it's the classic the original was, but so far, so good.

After the second episode, I've dropped Chihayafuru since it seems kinda boring (it looks like it will mostly focus on the card game karuta).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 20:42

Just have to say the first segment of Episode 4 of Shinryaku!? Ika Musume - "Isn't that English!?" - is a laugh-riot.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 21:02

In my enthusiasm for the new Last Exile I think I may have shortchanged Guilty Crown somewhat. Granted my thoughts after seeing the first episode were that I ought to rewatch it on my own so I could get a better grasp of it. After doing so I think it also shows a lot of promise, though I have some reservations about certain parts of the setting -most notably the introduction of the Guilty Crown itself seemed rather out of place given the setting. Also, for those comparing this show to Code Geass -there are substantial differences in addition to similarities. Shu is definitely not Lelouch.

My opinions of Persona 4 and Ben-To have also improved considerably after seeing the second episode of each. I'm now fairly impressed with the former and the second episode of the latter was quite entertaining though I don't know if it will be capable of keeping it up.

I basically consider Un-Go a write off after one episode. Fate/Zero isn't terrible but I'm not finding it that great either in spite of high production values. Watched another episode of Horizon with friends, still not too big on it.

I've been told Mirai Nikki is quite good so I might try to check that out at some point.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 23:37

Guilty Crown Episode 2:

And it begins to show signs of Code Geass Trainwreck Syndrome...

Well not exactly, but what the heck was with that "kaleidoscope" thing? Was that a different manifestation of Shu's newfound power or something the psycho guy had on him? Hopefully this show doesn't become like Code Geass were it seemed like the writers were frequently pulling sudden twists out of their asses...

The clash of the real world elements of the setting with the anime cliches and sci-fi elements was also much more pronounced this episode than in the first one, and there were a number of things that strained crediblity. Doesn't the GHQ have to answer to the governments that are providing aid? Can you just imagine what would happen if the footage of what some of their troops got up to this episode got into the media of those countries?

I'm not exactly about to write the show off completely at this point but there are serious issues surfacing.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 0:32

Piero wrote:...what the heck was with that "kaleidoscope" thing? Was that a different manifestation of Shu's newfound power or something the psycho guy had on him?

It was the Void contained inside Lieutenant Daryl Yan.

Piero wrote:The clash of the real world elements of the setting with the anime cliches and sci-fi elements was also much more pronounced this episode than in the first one, and there were a number of things that strained credibility. Doesn't the GHQ have to answer to the governments that are providing aid? Can you just imagine what would happen if the footage of what some of their troops got up to this episode got into the media of those countries?

A lot of nasty shit has happened under the UN's watch (the Somalia Affair and the Srebrenica massacre come to mind) plus the occupation of Iraq by the Coalition Provisional Authority. So some elements of the GCHQ running amuck is not unreasonable.

That being said, so far the plot is purely black and white with the corrupt and oppressive occupation force versus the freedom fighters. And adding in a psychopathic opponent in the form of Lieutenant Daryl Yan doesn't bode well for the show having any grey areas.

It is beautifully animated, so I'm sticking around for Episode 03. I've dropped most everything else, so I am a bit more willing to give the shows I have allowed past the initial culling to try and hook me for the duration.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 23 Oct 2011 - 20:08

Episode 02 of Last Exile ~Fam, The Silver Wing~ was much more like the Last Exile I know and love so I'm in. Yes Indeed

Episode 02 of UN-GO has convinced me to stay, as I like how the show is playing out each episode.

Both Shinruaku! Ika Musume and Working'!! are effectively re-hashes of the first seasons, but that's not a bad thing, so I'm staying with them, as well.

I expect I will be able to make a decision about Guilty Crown and Tamayura ~hitotose~ with their third episodes.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Tue 25 Oct 2011 - 0:36

Guilty Crown (eps 1-2) -- I'm rather "meh" about this one. It does remind me of Code Geass (which I couldn't stant because I kept on waiting for Zero to be disembowled. I'll probably give it another episode or two...at most.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon (Eps 1-2) -- What the...I don't even... Puzzled

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume (Eps 1-4) -- Same as the first season. Nice show to turn your brain off while watching at the end of the day.

Working!! (eps 1-3) -- Another one same as the first season. I liked this show because while the characters were eccentric, they weren't so wacky as to be unbelievable.

Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam (eps 1-2) -- I don't know if it will live up to the origional (one of my favorite animes of all time), but it is well done and simply drenched in Range Murata goodness. Best of the season so far and tied with Madoka for best of the year. I will definitly buy this on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

Mirai Nikki (eps 1-2) -- Nice intense show with a good plot that makes good use of the "diary entries from the near future" plot device

Shakugan no Shana III (final) (eps 1-3) -- Hopefully this will end the series well. I've watched and like the previous ones, so I'm hoping for a solid ending.

Ben-To (eps 1-3) -- The premise is odd to say the least, but I'll probably finish this series because its so "WTF" that it almost makes sense.

C^3 Cube x Cursed x Curious (eps 1-4) -- It started out "meh" with the usual fanservice, but then they threw in a bat-s**t insane villian and turned the cube-loli into a murdering/torturing device

(eps 1-3) -- Don't care much for the main character, but the catty interaction of the two main female characters is amusing.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 30 Oct 2011 - 16:07

Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye: As attached as I am to the TV version of Macross Frontier, this movie makes me feel that objectively the movie continuity is by far the better of the two. This movie did a great job of fixing several characters the TV series botched, including some that had a huge amount of potential. Furthermore it's got great music, spectacular visuals and action, and a whole lot of spirit. There ares some flaws, but overall I think it deserves to be considered not only good, but great.

I may write something more detailed once I've rewatched the film again, but this represents my current thoughts on the Frontier movies pretty well. I do have to admit there are a few issues that could alter my perspective, one of them being how some of the big reveals in the second movie will affect my view of the first film following future rewatchings.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 0:25

Yeah, they really hit it out of the park.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 5:08

I have no idea why, but the opening song for season 02 of Working!! always makes me desperately want a cane, boater hat and candy-stripe blazer.

...oh, and Spats.... there must be spats.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 21:16

Some general thoughts on the four show I've been keeping up with.

Ben-to: One of my friends described this as both the smartest and the dumbest show of the season. Laughing It's pretty funny at times. Has quite a lot of blatant fan service, but at least it's also delivered with aplomb.
Fate Zero: This show improved a lot after it started concentrating more on kick ass fight scenes. Also, Iskandar is the most awesome character in the show.
Guilty Crown: This show is a real miss mash of good and bad elements. One thing is for sure: it looks really, really good.
Last Exile -Fam, the Silver Wing: Whether due to my rewatching part of the original Last Exile or other factors such as the seeing how well this show can do more serious material, some of the modern anime cliches and conventions that have come into play in this sequel have been bothering me. That being said, when this show is good it's good.

I've let myself get way behind on Persona 4 and haven't done too well with regards to checking out Mirai Nikki (haven't even properly watched the second episode).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 21:27

Might as well do my review, as well:

UN-GO
My favorite show of the season. It's not brilliant, but it's massively entertaining.

Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-
Agree it's not as brilliant as the original, but it's still solid. Not a fan of Fam, but I very much like Giselle Collette and Millia Il Velch Cutrettola Turan.

Guilty Crown
Episode 4 was solid enough to get me to download 5 and 6.

Shinruaku! Ika Musume S2
As wonderfully silly and satisfying as the original.

Tamayura ~hitotose~
Slice of Life Silly, but it makes me smile.

Working'!! S2
Like Shinruaku! Ika Musume S2, as good as the original, and that was pretty good.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 0:24

A good video for demonstrating what Ben-to is all about... Smile

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Thu 1 Dec 2011 - 3:29

Guilty Crown (eps 3-7) -- DROPPED. Looks like I'll be dropping this one. While it looks all nice and pretty, it's too much of a "MacArther occupation/pining away to fight 'Operation Downfall'" fantasy to make me care.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon (Eps 3) -- DROPPED. I don't know what is going on in this show, and it has given me zero reason to care.

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume (Eps 5-8) -- Nice, pleasant short stories just as strong as the earlier ones.

Working!! (eps 4-7) -- Still going strong. The introduction of the new characters didn't really seem necissary, as the existing dynamic was still going strong, but overall it is still good.

(eps 3-7) -- The stroy is fleshing out a bit more, and we are finally able to see the connection between the origional series and this one. The more of that, the better.

Mirai Nikki (eps 3-7) -- Great Yandere and a willingness to not hold punches with either the mentally f**ked-up diary holders or the bat-s**t insane violence. Probably one of the top three this season, and probably one of the top ten this year.

Shakugan no Shana III (final) (eps 4-7) -- I'm slowly remembering what happened in previous seasons, and will see this through to the end.

Ben-To (eps
1-3) -- The premise is odd to say the least, but I'll probably finish
this series because its so "WTF" that it almost makes sense.

C^3 Cube x Cursed x Curious
(eps 4-8) -- The bat-s**t insane violence/cube-loli murder-torture device is good; the rest of it is bad. Fortunatly the violence trumps the other factors.

(eps 4-8) -- I like how the female characters, for the most part, are shown to be flawed human beings rather then some milquetoast-loving Moe-blobs.

UN-GO
(eps 1-8) -- I enjoy shows that present an interesting world and slowly explores it. Shows like that make me want to watch, even if it is just to figure-out what the world is like. I am not sure about the new "rival" but I'll wait and see how it plays out.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 2:35

Thought some of the Last Exile fans might be interested to know that there's a manga series called Sunadokei no Tabibito (Travellers from the Hourglass) that started being published earlier this year. It's set between the original series and the new one and focuses on characters from the original cast. Translated versions of the first three chapters are available on Mangafox.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/last_exile_sunadokei_no_tabibito/

There's not too much so far, but it's nice to see Claes and Lavie again. Smile

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 6 Dec 2011 - 8:00

Yes, I've been downloading that. Good
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sat 17 Dec 2011 - 16:30

119's views on the Winter 2011 Anime he's seen.

Fate/Zero: Lets see. So far, this anime has been pretty good, definitely better than Fate/Stay Night, but I would be reluctant to say its better than Kara No Kyoukai. Now, my view on the characters: Kiritsugu is more awesome then Shirou will ever be (even as Archer). Maiya sort of reminds me of Canaan with her backstory. Saber and Irisviel, they are awesome together. what can I say... Iris's driving FTW! As for the Servants, so far, Rider/Alexander the Great was probably most amusing... "You see that, they call it a B2, If I had about ten of those...." and "This Clinton looks more formidable than Darius III!"

Mirai Nikki: As other users have mentioned, Mirai Nikki does have a sort of Death Note feel to it, particularly the recent arcs featuring Akise Aru- a sort of "L" type character. But overall, I would still say so far, I liked Death Note better, perhaps because it was the anime that really made me realize not all anime was the same Dragonball Z clones. It has scenes that remind me of Higurashi with the whole Yuno Gasai yandere thing, and Minene reminds me a lot of Revy and Roberta of Black Lagoon. Overall though, I would say this is one of the better series of the season, but not outdoing the other series mentioned in the review. Also, it has one of the better OPs and EDs in this season.

Guilty Crown: This anime seems to have what video game review Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw refers to a "Indigo Prophecy Syndrome". Namely, it starts off with a plot grounded in reality (for an anime featuring mecha, an occupied Japan, and an evil foreign organization anyway), then goes what Yahtzee states "is clinically known as snooker loopy". Specifically, the anime features mentions that Japan descended into chaos after a virus outbreak... OK, continue... The UN sent in a militaristic pandemic control unit to control the disease, which apparently go corrupt and started killing people who were infected, or who opposed them. WTF flag Number 1. In the middle of this is a boy named Shu Ouma, who meets a mysterious girl named Inori connected with a resistance organization. The girl tells him to take a canister of a mysterious substance to a man named Gai. WTF Flag Number 2 After returning the package to Gai, the resistance are attacked by GHQ, and Shu and Inori are cornered by a mecha. Inori tells Shu to "use her", and she pulls a huge fucking sword out of her body and proceeds to use it to create shield to block a barrage of missiles, and then slice through the mecha's armor. WTF flag Number 3. It is later explained by Gai that the package is a genetic weapon that allows Shu to pull objects from someone's body, provide they are under 17 and Shu makes eye contact. The object varies from person to person. WTF Flag Number 4. There are numerous other WTF flags later in the series, but I'll stop rattling on about those. Overall the series is decent. Also Gai is awesome. This guy can take out a mecha armed with nothing but a grappling hook and a Luger pistol. Yet this guy is the main character. Also, there's no way he could only be 17, as Wikipedia states. WTF Flag Number 5.
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaschanist Sat 17 Dec 2011 - 16:58

I'm not a guy who watches that much Anime (no money to buy the DVDs and not that interested, my focus lays on the Moped-sector) but I agree with some of you guys.

Un-Go is a very nice show. I watched the Japanese version with english subtitles and though i didn't understand absolutely everything (language-barrier...) i'm liking it.
Found actually 10 episodes, but heard about that the 11th episode already was aired.

If there sometime will be a german synchronized version, I definitely go and buy it.
Schaschanist
Schaschanist

Male

Forum Posts : 816

Fan of : Henrietta,Triela and Claes; Hydrangea

Original Characters : Etienne & Emilie or "Eti & Emi"

Comments : Emilie Valerie De Laroque, a 13 years old dark and gloomy part-french girl from Belgium, with excellent manners and a slight french accent...

Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 23 Dec 2011 - 14:17

UN-GO
A-

My favorite of the season in terms of sheer entertainment value.

Tamayura ~hitotose~
B+

Not a brilliant show by any measure, but just the thing to warm one's heart on a cold winter day.

The iDOLM@STER
B-

That many cute girls requires a minimum of a B-, but really, that was about all the show really had to offer, IMO.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 26 Dec 2011 - 23:47

Squid Girl: Season 2
A-

Just as entertaining as the original.

Working!! Season 2
B+

Also very true to what made the first series great. And nice to see Maya Matsumoto get more than her usual cameos in the final episode.

Only show left is Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing, and while it wasn't as epic as the original, it was still very good.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 27 Dec 2011 - 1:38

Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing (11?): Shit just got serious.

Edit: Apparently last week's recap might have been episode "9.5" rather than episode 10. If that's the case the episode I watched earlier today was episode 10, not episode 11.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 8:39

So I believe we have one more episode of Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam left and it's kind of a bummer that they spent two episodes (9.5 and 12) on a recap and a flashback. Unless #13 is very lucky (and epic), this will be a B grade show for me.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 12:06

Mahou lists it as a 21 episode series ending in late February (maybe the recap is one of the 21):

http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/?o=ET
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 15:03

That's good. I can't see how they could tie things up in one episode. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 19:33

There's another season to Last Exile? I just started watching the first season. Yeesh, where have I been?
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 21:28

Yeah, I'd kind of been assuming Fam was a two-cour show.

Personally I've been really pleased with the direction the show has been going lately (my opinion of the show went downhill somewhat, but it's been climbing up over the last couple of episodes). We've had the shit hit the fan, we've gotten a good flashback to what happened ten years ago, and it appears we will soon get some info on the highly isolationist Glacies. Also, the preview for the next episode appears to have Alvis running through a wheat field, which hints that we may get to find out a bit about what's going on with a couple of significant characters soon.

Or maybe we're just being trolled. Razz

Actually I have mixed feelings on the possibility of brining Claes and Lavie into Fam in any significant capacity. I really like the two of them but I worry they could steal the show.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 1:24

Fam is getting really good. Or at least Fam the show is. As far as Fam the character... anyone feel that Millia is better main character material than she is? She's the one who is aware of the big picture and confronting tough choices while Fam has spent the series talking about bringing back the Grand Race despite being in the middle of a devastating war.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 2 Feb 2012 - 8:41

Piero wrote:As far as Fam the character... anyone feel that Millia is better main character material than she is?

Millia is very much my favorite character now.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 9 Feb 2012 - 0:52

Next episode of Fam looks like it's going to be another recap... except this time it looks like they're going to recap the original Last Exile. Speculation is that this could be lead up to an appearance by the leads of the original series. While I worry that the original leads could overshadow the new cast I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Also kind of hoping that there will be a little bit of new material thrown in with the old stuff. It's not uncommon for modern recap episodes to throw in a bit of new material.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 1:19

Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam: B+

Just watched Episodes 18, 19 and 20 and I have to say this show really grew in it's second half. Though I expect a cliche finale next week, it was still a solid watch.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 11 Mar 2012 - 12:36

I could be wrong, but I think we're still a few episodes from the end. There seem to be some differences of opinion as to whether the recaps should be included in the episode count. Also it seems to me that one episode isn't enough time to wrap everything up properly.

I have been enjoying the second half of the series as well.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next