Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring 2012 Anime

+10
Officer_Charon
Robert Frazer
Three Dog
Awinnell
maverick375
MadHatChemist
Piero
Alfisti
Entropy
Kiskaloo
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Empty Re: Spring 2012 Anime

Post by Awinnell Sun 20 May 2012 - 11:45

Kiskaloo wrote:Still, compared to what they do to the L85, the M-16 gets off easy. Smile

funnily enough,even though she never fired a shot all episode, Eru caused the most destruction by far !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Forum Posts : 2131

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 21 May 2012 - 17:37

Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:And talking of characters that will never apear, the rest of the AK variants.

Apparently in the manga version the AKs (and some other weapons chambered in Eastern Bloc calibres) go to a different school. And cause quite a bit of trouble for the protagonists.

Kiskaloo wrote:Still, compared to what they do to the L85, the M-16 gets off easy. Smile

I'm bothered by the portrayal of the L85A1 as well, but more because they portray it as an inaccurate rifle than because they portray it as a fragile and unreliable one. The impression I've gotten is that for all it's flaws the L85A1 was a fairly accurate assault rifle.

In other news, my anime watching buddies wanted to watch AKB 0048 during our last session, and since the second episode seemed a lot less painful than the first the series is now back on my watch list. We'll see how long it stays there. Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 684325

Kiskaloo wrote:Space Brothers is probably my favorite show of the season in that it's honest and entertaining. Showing the 787 doesn't hurt, either. Smile I do hope they make Mutta an astronaut candidate really quickly because the story needs to move on to the space mission training if it's only 12 episodes.

Space Bros is indeed awesome. And from what I understand the twelve episode thing was a mix up (see the update to the news story below, though it's not entirely clear how long the series is going to be.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-02/space-brothers-anime-projected-to-end-on-june-27

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Mon 21 May 2012 - 18:14

Piero wrote:
Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:And talking of characters that will never apear, the rest of the AK variants.
Apparently in the manga version the AKs (and some other weapons chambered in Eastern Bloc calibres) go to a different school. And cause quite a bit of trouble for the protagonists.
I knew it! the whole Western Vs. Eastern thing, I am much disapointed Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 18822. Whatever happend to "technology itself is niether inherantly good nor evil, the manner in which it's used is".

Still, that must be a prtty big campus for the Eastern gear, there's at least ten shit-loads of AKs.

Three Dog

Forum Posts : 1243

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 21 May 2012 - 18:26

Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:
Piero wrote:
Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:And talking of characters that will never appear, the rest of the AK variants.
I knew it! the whole Western Vs. Eastern thing, I am much disappointed Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 18822. Whatever happened to "technology itself is neither inherently good nor evil, the manner in which it's used is".

Still, that must be a pretty big campus for the Eastern gear, there's at least ten shit-loads of AKs.

It just mirrors real world politics,the cold war resulted in a uneven split in East versus West weapons users,if they buy a western assault rifle chances are all their other small arms will be as well,

but far more of the worlds regimes operate Eastern style armies, larger armies with conscripts and a lot less training (if any), so they tended to buy the cheaper and easier to train on Ak's etc,

as part of their difference in doctrine eastern Bloc trained soldiers are trained to put a lot of rounds downrange,but not with any great accuracy,to help with this the fire selector on an AK goes safe,full auto,semi,

unlike western guns that go safe, semi, full auto (or three round burst)

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 21 May 2012 - 21:20

Piero wrote:In other news, my anime watching buddies wanted to watch AKB 0048 during our last session, and since the second episode seemed a lot less painful than the first the series is now back on my watch list. We'll see how long it stays there. Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 684325

I left with Episode 03 (Episode 04 hit the web today). Smile

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Tue 22 May 2012 - 4:14

Awinnell wrote:
Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:
Piero wrote:
Destroyer of Worlds ;D wrote:And talking of characters that will never appear, the rest of the AK variants.
I knew it! the whole Western Vs. Eastern thing, I am much disappointed Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 18822. Whatever happened to "technology itself is neither inherently good nor evil, the manner in which it's used is".

Still, that must be a pretty big campus for the Eastern gear, there's at least ten shit-loads of AKs.

It just mirrors real world politics,the cold war resulted in a uneven split in East versus West weapons users,if they buy a western assault rifle chances are all their other small arms will be as well,

but far more of the worlds regimes operate Eastern style armies, larger armies with conscripts and a lot less training (if any), so they tended to buy the cheaper and easier to train on Ak's etc,

as part of their difference in doctrine eastern Bloc trained soldiers are trained to put a lot of rounds downrange,but not with any great accuracy,to help with this the fire selector on an AK goes safe,full auto,semi,

Hmm, still seems like an over used plot east Vs. west. And cheap, I mean, it's the sort of thing someone un-origonal like myself would come up with. Why not mix it up a little like... I dunno, just something other than east Vs. west. If I want that, I'll read some Clancey.
I know, have the different continents rather than east/west. Europe would have an unfair advantage though, having some of the worlds major weapon producers within.

Three Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 26 May 2012 - 14:05

Upotte!! (Episode 08): A maid cafe... how original. Not.

If our OC SWA ever held a school festival, this is probably how it would turn out. We get one of the teachers this week for the eye-catch:

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 M1928A1

Sankarea (Episode 08) - Chihiro and Wanko were both pretty creepy this episode - and not in the "horror" sense. I sense the train may be coming off the tracks.

Sengoku Collection (Episode 08) - The parade of adorable generals continues and that is the only real reason to watch it as most of the recent stories have been dull. It was nice to have Oda Nobunaga back in a main role.

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 07) - Shit just got real. However, I still run hot and cold on this one. Like ~Fam~, I am not sure this was a sequel worth pursuing. The action is solid, but it just doesn't do comedy well, at all.

Natsu-iro Kiskei (Episodes 07 + 08) - Again, not a great show, but one that consistently delivers entertainment value (as Tamayura ~hitose~ did last season). Looking forward to the Vocal Collections and I want Episode 07's insert song (already own the OP+ED, which are brilliant).

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 26 May 2012 - 18:32; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Sat 26 May 2012 - 14:08

Kiskaloo wrote:Upotte!! (Episode 08): A maid cafe... how original. Not.

If our OC SWA ever held a school festival, this is probably how it would turn out.

If they want something origonal, have a man hunt. They are guns after all, perfect for hunting. And you can take money from those you catch.

Three Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 1 Jun 2012 - 12:55

Sankarea (Episode 09)

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Well_Played

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 0:21

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 08) - Continues to be best when they do action and I thought for a moment Ao was going to do a Reston on us, but we were saved. And please lose the sloth.

Haiyore! Nyaurko-san (Episode 08) - Had me a bit worried for the first third, then it became the usual ludicrous fun.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 5:20

A little late, but better late than never...

"orange you glad I gave you a drink?" is going to haunt me forever, I mean, that's the sort of crap I would come yup with.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka - watched the first ep, and is just a little bit wierd. In a good way, most of the time.
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 15:05

Upotte!! (Episode 09)

Wouldn't be a fan-service anime without an episode at the beach and an episode at the hot springs - so we get both in the same episode!

All the girls have nice racks (and I don't mean equipment racks ) with Blu-ray Boobies and DVD Derrières as a bonus later this year.

Fujiko-sensei looks mighty fine when she lets her hair down.

Oh, yeah. Shit just got real, too. snipe

This episodes's eye-catch is from the Axis....of Hotness. sweat

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 FG42
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 15:26

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Vlcsna10

so whats with the different coloured eyes ?
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 17:10

Mysterious GirlFriend X (Ep. 3-8) -- Magic drool aside, there is that uncertainty and yes, mysteriousness, that makes the relationship between the two seem authentic (especially for their age) and heartfelt. Definitly one of the better shows this year.

Yurumate3D (ep. 3-8) -- The shorts are amussing enough and are not long enough to get annoying.

Sankarea
(ep 3-8) -- I'm not disliking the series, theough the side characters are definitly more interesting then the protaganist. Still watching to see what the creepy father is going to do.

Space Brothers
(eps. 4-9) -- Good solid drama that sticks with hard science fiction. Definitly going to watch this to the end.

Haiyore! Nyarlako
(ep. 3-8) -- When they make Cthulu mythos references and jokes, its ammusing. When it doesn't, then it degenerates into another harem anime.

Lupin III (ep. 3-8) -- This series has shown itself to be the truest adaptation of the orininal Monkey Punch manga. Gritty and very, very adult. Out "heros" are not just wisecracking pranksters, but people willing to murder. Also, Zenigata gets a piece of Fujiko while Lupin struggles to do the same? Best series of the season, and perhaps of the year so far.

Upotte! (ep. 3-8) -- The weirdness makes the humor work. Educational AND perverted!

Kore wa Zombie desu Ka? OF THE DEAD -- The WTF moments are what makes it worth while to watch the show, though I wish it was far, far more often.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 18:50

What is this, fan service week? I watched Natsuiro Kiseki this morning and Upotte this afternoon, and both of them did fan service episodes.

Natsuiro Kiseki: Last week's episode was kind of interesting for the overnight ferry trip if nothing else. Those aren't something you see portrayed in anime very often. Showing the passengers sleeping on the floor bit made it seem more realistic than the ferry trip in Mai-HiME (the fact that Mai and Takumi had a cabin aboard the ferry in HiME kind of bugged me). Plus the ferry in this series managed to make it to it's destination without getting totalled by a magical girl fight. Laughing
This week's episode was really heavy on the fan service though, especially compared to the series as a whole. It was kind of a bit much, plus the "punchline" of Saki's invisibility escapade could be spotted coming from a few solar systems away.
Upotte: Last week's Upotte was kind of lame. This one was pretty heavy on the fan service. Also, why is the HK33 such a total bitch? Is she butthurt about being only a moderate sales success? And why does the FG-42 wear an eyepatch if both her eyes are fully intact?
One thing I did like -they let the AK variants that showed up in this episode fight smart and place shots with accuracy. Despite the show's indulgence in stereotypes it's nice to see it go against them sometimes.

Anyway, I should try to get caught up on some of the other shows.

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 20:32

Maybe FG-42 is like Mei Misaki from Another. Incoming!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 21:01

Oh, Kisk, you have an older model 5.56mm H&K rifle in storage somewhere don't you? Given it's age I'm guessing it's probably either a HK43 or HK93, both of which are derivatives of the HK33 assault rifle.

How does knowing your rifle is an arrogant, confrontational bitch with a short temper affect your impression of it? Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 21:43

I have an HK93 and hey, if it turned into a girl that cute, I'd deal with the attitude. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 23:04

Good answer. Wink

Then again, you might not even need to deal with the attitude. The HK53 is a HK33 derivative as well and she doesn't appear to share her sister's attitude. (Granted we haven't seen very much of HK53 either.)

The real interesting one to see is going to be HK32, since she's chambered in 7.62x39mm and attends the same school as the AK girls.

Dang, now I'm hoping someone does a family picture of all the HK sisters. Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 4:51

Upotte!! - Ep 09, Now, I've never been in the millitary, but even I know that if three of my friends were ambushed and nearly killed, don't go to where they were ambushed without any back-up or intel. And Galil continues to amuse Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 50022, such an amusing fuckwit.
And I had wondered who (or rather, what) FG 42 was supposed to be until this episode. ANd she wears an eye patch to be scary, because she was a Nazi rifle.
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 6:25

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Fg42re10

the FG 42 was a select fire rifle firing a full power 7.92x57mm Mauser round,developed by the Luftwaffe as a light support weapon for paratroopers similar to the Bren,

the Magazine was side mounted which made the gun unbalanced and the full power round made full automatic fire difficult due to muzzle climb even with a muzzle brake fitted
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 13:16

Piero wrote:What is this, fan service week? I watched Natsuiro Kiseki this morning and Upotte this afternoon, and both of them did fan service episodes.

I believe it's required that any anime show with more than two girls in middle school or high school must have either a beach episode or a bath house episode - and preferably both. sweat

At least Natsuiro Kiseki didn't hide everything behind censor lights. Won't help the Blu-ray sales, I imagine, but maybe they'll make up for it on the CD sales. Smile

Also surprising both shows went three-fourths in before they did these mandatory episodes. Usually they're before the half-way point.

Space Brothers (Episode 10) - Considering how much they try to keep it real, I wonder if JAXA really selects astronauts this way. Puzzled

Sengoku Collection (Episode 09) - Even though she's a warlord, Isei Shinkuro must be there to meet the Minimum Series Requirement for Maid-service. Razz

Recorder to Randsell (Episode 22) - Pretty impressive that with 22 episodes following the same formula, it's still entertaining. I guess having a runtime of only 150 seconds helps.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 22:18

Kiskaloo wrote:
Piero wrote:What is this, fan service week? I watched Natsuiro Kiseki this morning and Upotte this afternoon, and both of them did fan service episodes.

I believe it's required that any anime show with more than two girls in middle school or high school must have either a beach episode or a bath house episode - and preferably both. Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 61015

At least Natsuiro Kiseki didn't hide everything behind censor lights. Won't help the Blu-ray sales, I imagine, but maybe they'll make up for it on the CD sales. Smile

Also surprising both shows went three-fourths in before they did these mandatory episodes. Usually they're before the half-way point.

I don't necessarily consider fan service a negative. Sometimes I even quite enjoy it. But there are also times when it can get pretty eye rolling. Like when a show starts indulging in too many ridiculous fan service cliches (Upotte) or does something you can see coming from miles off (Natsuiro -although I'll at least credit the show with not making as big a deal out of the inevitable as might have been expected). There are ways to do fan service without making it come across as totally stale or putridly cliche. If shows like Ben-to and Infinite Stratos (the latter of which is a freaking harem show) could do it why do so many other shows have problems?
Kiskaloo wrote:Space Brothers (Episode 10) - Considering how much they try to keep it real, I wonder if JAXA really selects astronauts this way. Puzzled

Well the third test is supposedly secret, so it's possible the author didn't know what the test was and just made something up. That being said, testing the candidate's ability to cope with other people and restricted environments makes a lot of sense considering what they're applying to be.

Also I'm wondering if I should be adding Muta to my painfully short list of top favorite male anime characters...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Wed 6 Jun 2012 - 10:59

Awinnell wrote:

Which goes to show exactly how smart Shion must have thought Keiichi is Higurashi Kai:

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 HigurashiAK1
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 9 Jun 2012 - 13:33

Upotte!!: C-

A truly ridiculous show and one that did not become a guilty pleasure, but more like something you were embarrassed to admit you watched. That being said, it was entertaining in it's own way. An OAV is due in October.

When it comes to fan service, Upotte!! is the gift that keeps on giving. sweat

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Upotte_02

This week's finale episode showed, in addition to L85's panties and FNC's bra, fire-team and squad level tactics in an urban environment. Not sure why all the eastern guns were cat-girls and fox-girls, but I'm okay with it, nonetheless, as they were mostly hot. And once again, don't fuck with the Finns.

FNC had a nice attack and while again showing how generally useless the L85 is as a weapon (at least in the Upotte!! universe), she did have some nice tactical moves at times. She also makes a very cute rabbit...

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Upotte_04

Sankarea (Episode 10) - Dan'ichirō Sanka is one f'd up man. Oh, and nice boat.

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 09) - Since this is the ninth episode, it is also the fan service episode. Wasn't impressed.

Spoiler:

I will say that if this show is only 12 episodes, that doesn't give them much time to wrap it up. On the flip side, if it ends up being 25 (or even 50 episodes, like the original), I can't see it holding my interest.

Natsuiro Kiseki (Episode 10) - Those girls were hellions in their younger days. Smile

Sengoku Collection (Episode 10) - Have to say that Soun Hojo | Ise Shunkuro has been my favorite general, so glad she was given two episodes.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 30 Dec 2012 - 21:37; edited 6 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 2:56

Upotte!! - Ep 10 - finaly, some decent gun play, and me and my little bro shouted advice at everyone the whole time. Razz. And I identified all the AK's before the show did, I'm fucking gun nerd Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 61015. Would have been over quicker with grenades though. A lot quicker.
And the magazine sizes seemed a little incosistant, don't most assaulr rifles a a fire rate of 600rpm? I'm pretty sure FNC didn't let go of the trigger for a full minute at one point. Yeah, I hunt donw those sorta things too Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 61015
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 10 Jun 2012 - 13:32

Sankarea (Episode 00) - Did I mention that Dan'ichirō Sanka is one f'd up man? Nice to see a 15-year old anime girl with properly-proportioned breasts for a change. I think they dialed back Ranko's rack, as well. Razz Chihiro is so going to be a NEET.

Space Brothers (Episode 11) - Kind of a filler episode this week with no real story advancement.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Mon 11 Jun 2012 - 22:35

Kore wa Zombie desu Ka? OF THE DEAD - ep 02-11 - I'm really enjoying this show, if for nothing else than the plot surprisingly enough. I guess it must be the ol' romantic in me. Also my little bro is getting pissed at me every tim eI comment that as soon as someone decides to use a gun, they're all screwed. (and I always pick Eastwood's .44) Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 999463

the other thing that gets me is the disclaimer at the start of each episode, "the protagonist of this story is a zombie, do not try this at home". Make me chuckle every time Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 684325 .
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 17 Jun 2012 - 14:25

Upotte was only 10 episodes long !
it was a farce but a funny one,we saw the webcast version, it will be shown on TV next month so there may be other episodes yet to come
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Sun 17 Jun 2012 - 18:05

Upotte!! - being the final episode, I don't care how crap some of it was, end on a better pun than, "we're assault rifles, we can becoem battle rilfes." Aside from that, it was alright I guess.
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 18 Jun 2012 - 13:22

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (Episode 11) - This show has consistently grown stronger with every episode and this outing was no exception. The animation style this episode was also really well-played.

Space Brothers (Episode 12) - Some good character development this episode. Confirmed to be continuing into the Summer season. Good

Hyōka (Episode 08+09) - I admit to watching this show primarily because I find Eru Chitanda to be adorable (even more so when she's inebriated), but the mysteries - if basic - are interesting and I like Hōtarō Oreki's denouements when he figures them out. And Kyoto Animation's work is so well done.

AKB0048 (Episode 08) - Just for the heck of it, I decided to drop back in and my original observation proved true - the show is Macross Frontier meets The iDOLM@STER. The premise remains ridiculous (if not nearly as so as Upotte!!) and I'm not a fan of the VOCALOID CG dance sequences.

Sengoku Collection (Episode 11) - More of the same, which isn't a bad thing, per se.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (Episodes 09, 10 and 11) - Still has it's ROTFL moments, but Episode 10 was a bit silly even for this show.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 24 Jun 2012 - 22:57

Wow, I'm several weeks behind here...

Not impressed by Upotte overall. It was entertaining early on, but the later parts were pretty meh. The manga apparently has more characters, maybe if they'd gotten some of them involved.

Episode Ten of Natsuiro Kiseki was indeed hilarious. Though overall my impression of the series is mixed.

Jormungand has really been coming into it's own with the latest few episodes.

Space Brothers is a bit slow but I gather it's likely to be a long runner so that's not a big deal (especially since I've been enjoying the show).

Someone on another forum convinced me to start watching Hyouka again. I have to admit my opinion of the show after seeing three to five was much better than my opinion after the second episode (I found the show boring at that point). I'm still kind of behind on it though, only on about episode six.

Should we be starting a thread for the Summer 2012 season?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 24 Jun 2012 - 23:05

Piero wrote:Should we be starting a thread for the Summer 2012 season?

There is already one at https://gunslinger-girl.forumotion.com/t3290-summer-2012-anime
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 25 Jun 2012 - 15:11

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: A-
Tokyo, like Hollywood, loves a happy ending so I won't deduct them doing so here, even if I felt a more melancholy ending would have been appropriate. Then again, being haunted by Yuuko Kanoe for the rest of my life would not be a bad thing in my book. Wink

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: B
After the first episode, I was unsure if what worked for three minutes with the original two ONAs could survive being stretched out to 30. To their credit, they pulled it off. Then again, I love slapstick and this show delivered it in a never-ending stream. It also had the best ED of the season, IMO.

Space Brothers (Episode 13)
I guess this will be a 26 episode series, but the manga is 17 volumes so I guess they're only going to give us the highlights. That being said, it always keeps me interested so the length isn't an issue for me. I'm not sure I want to watch the live action film until the anime is over, lest it spoil the ending.

Hyouka (Episode 10)
As much as I fanboy on Eru Chitanda, if the rest of the cast were not themselves entertaining, she couldn't hold the show for me.

Sengoku Collection (Episode 12)
Still like Hōjō Sōun the best, but Maeda Toshimasu is now my number two. While my overall interest in this show is waning, each episode seems to blitz by and I'm always surprised how soon the end credits are running.

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 10)
I'm honestly not sure I'm going to be able to stay with this show across 26 episodes. There doesn't seem to be much plot development and Truth just seems thrown in as some random "Big Bad" for Ao to angst over. Also, how can this show be a sequel to Eureka Seven when it takes place over 10,000 years in the past? I re-watched Episode 50 and I guess that when Nirvash kicked off the Second Summer of Love, it sent Renton and Eureka back in time to a parallel Earth.

Sankarea (Episode 11)
Uh...yeah... Only two more episodes to go, at least.

Natsuiro Kiseki (Episode 11) -
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 12:41; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 29 Jun 2012 - 14:22

Sankarea: C
Guess there was only one episode left. Wink

Anyway, I had really high hopes for this show after two episodes. Rea Sanka was beautiful and fascinating and her home life could have made a compelling drama. Instead, they decided to make her a zombie and set the show's tone as comedic farce and added some weird and creepy side characters. So at that point, the only question left for me to answer is how much I would dislike it when it was over.

Some episodes were horrible, some were okay and Episode 09 was brilliant. The finale episode was open-ended (since the manga is still in production) so I guess if it does well in Blu-ray and DVD sales there could be a second season, but I won't be there if it is.

All that being said, Rea Sanka is my second favorite anime heroine of this season behind Yuko Kanoe.

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Rea_Sanka_01

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 11)
So we get a bit more information this time…

Spoiler:

…however they're still treating this show like The X-Files where they answer one question and create two more.

The show remains best when it's action+music. And was that "Cloud Age Symphony" (the OP to the original Last Exile) by Shuntaro Okino I heard? Probably not, but it sounded influenced by it. Seriously want this soundtrack now.

I guess I should expect the kids to be kids, but their…childishness…does pull me out of the show. And when Ao gets riled at Truth, I keep expecting him to say "You Took My Girl!" in the same tone as the rednecks yelling "They Took Our Jobs!" in the South Park episode "Goobacks".

That being said, Elena in Goth-Lori style is win.

This, on the other hand, will give you nightmares for weeks:

Spoiler:

Since there is little to nothing for the Summer Season on my plate as of yet, I have the time to keep watching this. But please put Noah in a zoo.

Sengoku Collection (Episode 13)
So I guess this series will be 26 episodes of cute and adorable girls.

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 925746
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 20:11

Space Brothers (Episode 14)

I like the new ED theme and the ED animation is full of win.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 1:54

Mysterious GirlFriend X -- A -- A thoroughly enjoyable series. I likes how it was about more then just puppy love or trying to get into each others pants. The characters weren't two dimensional idiots. I thought that their relationship was actually quite endearing, and after a while you don't even bother thinking about the MacGuffin magic spittle.

Sankarea -- B- -- I didn't care for the two main characters that much. A lot of the show was so-so, but some of the characters (e.g. Mero, the cat, and Rea's insane father) were interesing enough that I'd probably give the series a second chance.

Space Brothers
-- Still Ongoing -- I've been enjoying this one, and the characters have been interesting while not being cartoonish. Good solid show.

Haiyore! Nyarlako
(ep.
3-8) -- B -- When the show dealt with Cthulhu mythose parody moments, it was great. When it went harem route, it was forgetable.

Lupin III -- A+ -- Best show of the season and the best show so far of the year. Gritty, dark, and interesting at the same time. Best Lupic III adaptation.

Upotte! -- B -- It definitly had its "wait what?!" moments, and not all the characters were as enduring as I had hoped. But there were enough good parts that I'd be willing to see a new season of it.

Kore wa Zombie desu Ka? OF THE DEAD -- B -- A lot of the show was rather "meh." But the times when it went full bore insane with hyper-violence and warped humor, it was great. Those moments were good enough to lift the overall series from a C or even D.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 16:04

Natsuiro Kiseki: B-

Entertaining, but not overly memorable. Was worth the time invested watching it, but not one I will be collecting.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaschanist Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 14:41

Kiskaloo wrote:Sankarea: C
Guess there was only one episode left. Wink

Anyway, I had really high hopes for this show after two episodes. Rea Sanka was beautiful and fascinating and her home life could have made a compelling drama. Instead, they decided to make her a zombie and set the show's tone as comedic farce and added some weird and creepy side characters. So at that point, the only question left for me to answer is how much I would dislike it when it was over.

Some episodes were horrible, some were okay and Episode 09 was brilliant. The finale episode was open-ended (since the manga is still in production) so I guess if it does well in Blu-ray and DVD sales there could be a second season, but I won't be there if it is.

All that being said, Rea Sanka is my second favorite anime heroine of this season behind Yuko Kanoe.

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Rea_Sanka_01
You can be sure there will be more seasons, the Manga scanlations are actually up to chapter 30 (posted i think around sunday at mangafox, mangareader and manga-acces.) so i estimate at least 2 more season within the next years.
Haven't watched all episode til now (just up to including #8), but read the Manga, 30 regular chapters and two extra chapters, 14.5 and 28.5, which aren't uploaded at mangareader for whatever reason....

I like the show/manga, first because of Rea Sanka (a possible grown-up Version for Emilie), and second because of the story which is playing with love and zombie story parts permanently. The lovestory between Chihiro and Rea is one of the "arcs", the myth about Rea's zombie peculiarity, the enigma of Mero's mother (which i believe must be the special zombie Darin examined in her research facility), and then the question if they will find a way to save them or if they have the fate and turn into brainless rotting zombies forever.
Schaschanist
Schaschanist

Male

Forum Posts : 816

Fan of : Henrietta,Triela and Claes; Hydrangea

Original Characters : Etienne & Emilie or "Eti & Emi"

Comments : Emilie Valerie De Laroque, a 13 years old dark and gloomy part-french girl from Belgium, with excellent manners and a slight french accent...

Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 20:23

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 12)

Not sure if I should go

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 109289

or

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Fuck_Yeah

Puzzled
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaschanist Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 20:53

Kiskaloo wrote:Eureka Seven AO (Episode 12)

Not sure if I should go

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 109289

or

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Fuck_Yeah

Puzzled
I prefer the second one.

Looking forward for the chapters, ch.30 was uploaded around 5 days ago.
Schaschanist
Schaschanist

Male

Forum Posts : 816

Fan of : Henrietta,Triela and Claes; Hydrangea

Original Characters : Etienne & Emilie or "Eti & Emi"

Comments : Emilie Valerie De Laroque, a 13 years old dark and gloomy part-french girl from Belgium, with excellent manners and a slight french accent...

Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 5:43

Random final thoughts on a couple Spring 2012 anime that I actually watched all the way through:

Jormungand:
Overall, I like this series, reminded me of Black Lagoon. That said, I do think they shouldn't have killed off Chinatsu, the assassin from the second and third (I think) episodes, and instead had her as a recurring character like Roberta of Black Lagoon. While the action scenes had more a Black Lagoon feel to them, I couldn't help seeing similarities to Gunslinger Girl in the episode where Jonah's past as a child soldier is explored.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia/ Dusk Maiden of Amnesia: I have to agree with Kisk that Yuuko Kanoe easily takes the title of best female character of the season. If I'm haunted by a ghost, please let her be Yuuko-san! I liked the way they started out all light hearted and comedic, but later in the series, Things got serious and I stared seeing similarities to Higurashi and, to a lesse extent, Another, when it is revealed Yuuko died in a
Spoiler:
. However, I will say that Okonogi Momoe is just facepalm inducingly ignorant at times. I know that's supposed to be the gag, but it gets old. Was there really any reason why Teiichi or Kirie couldn't have just told her "Yeah, there's a ghost, she's right over here"?, or even had Yuuko communicate to her with by a written messages or something later in the series (even if it was only to troll her as usual).
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 9 Jul 2012 - 11:42

Hyōka (Episode 12)

Eru Chitanda for Empress of Earth; the Manga Lab is officially awesome; and the new ED animation is totally full of win.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 20:46

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 13)

Okay, maybe I can stick around for 26 episodes. Wink

Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 13:16

Space Brothers (Episodes 14-20)
Overall, probably still my favorite show of the year. Great cast with a great and honest story.

Hyōka (Episodes 13-17)
KyoAni continues to impress. I found the KanyaFest arc very entertaining.

Eureka Seven AO (Episodes 14-15)
Still holding it's own, but I'd still like a few more answers. I see it's taking a few week break between Episode 15 and 16.

Sengoku Collection (Episodes 13-19)
Six new episodes, six new cute girls.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 17 Aug 2012 - 18:44

Eureka Seven AO (Episode 16)

I still don't really understand this show, but I am really starting to like it.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 15:35

Eureka Seven AO (Episodes 17-19)

Shit's getting real, now.

Spoiler:

Hyōka (Episodes 18-21)
As it closes in on the finale, it's starting to wane a bit, but overall, still very enjoyable.

Space Brothers (Episodes 21-23)
I believe this is a 26 episode run, so with the manga still in production (and at 18 collected volumes), I expect this one will wrap up around the start of them going to the Johnson Space Center for training. I'd love to see it get another series (or two, or three).

Sengoku Collection (Episodes 20-23)
The entertainment value has risen a fair bit this last stretch. I quite enjoyed the Soviet HAL / 2001 episode and the "Great Sandbox War of 2012" episode.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 27 Sep 2012 - 14:34

Hyōka - B
As a story, this show didn't have a whole lot to offer. But I ♥ Eru Chitanda something fierce, the rest of the cast is solid and KyoAni's awesomeness at animation kept me hooked.

Sengoku Collection - C
Some of the girls were great. Some were average. Most all were cute.

Episode 22 of Eureka Seven AO airs today in Japan, but then takes a month off before showing the final two episodes in November. Right now, the show is tracking a B average, which is where I expect it will end up.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 12:19; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 9 Oct 2012 - 16:45

Eureka Seven AO Jungfrau no Hanabana-tachi OAV

Since the last two broadcast episodes are being held until November, this OAV - released on Blu-ray in a combined Hybrid Disc that also contains the Eureka Seven AO game for the PlayStation 3 - serves to tide us over for October.

The OVA is set between episodes eight and nine of the series. Essentially, Fleur and Elena dress Ao up as Eureka and parade across Switzerland. Adds nothing to the story but some fan-service.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 28 Oct 2012 - 11:53

Space Brothers (Episode 30)

God Speed, CES-51.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 20 Nov 2012 - 12:12

Eureka Seven AO - B
After the one month hiatus, the final two episodes were run back-to-back. Overall, a worthy effort, but like Last Exile ~Fam the Silver Wing~, it wasn't as good as the original. That being said, when it was hot, it was pretty epic. Good
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 6 Apr 2013 - 11:23

So Space Brothers has crossed the one-year mark - Episode 01 broadcast on April 1st, 2012 and Episode 52 aired today in Japan.

I'm guessing this show has another year ahead of it, considering there are 19 volumes of the manga and new chapters are still going up in Weekly Morning. And honestly, it has remained consistently strong enough to warrant another year of production, IMO.

While I have seen other series with 52 or more episodes, they were already through their original broadcast run so I watched them either five days a week on US television (shows like Eureka Seven and Inuyasha come to mind) or I was able to marathon them in batches. This is the first show I've actually spent an entire year watching in sequence.

So I guess this thread will still be active through 2014. Yikes!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 11 Aug 2013 - 8:10

Slow day at work so I watched the latest dozen episodes of Space Brothers.

I'm not a big fan of manned spaceflight (robots can do so much more safer and cheaper), but this show is so darn inspirational that I find myself wishing we hadn't cancelled Orion and Constellation so I could see this all play out for real a decade from now...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 9:58

Space Brothers - Episodes 62 to 72

Truly one of the great anime series of our time. It's guaranteed to be on all the "Best of the 2010s" retrospectives.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 15:29

I really do love this series, so much... I love seeing how Mutta's growing as a person, and like the blurbs say: he's gaining the skills as an astronaut, and doesn't even realise it.

Also, mad props to him for remembering that Serika dreamed of going to the ISS for her research
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 18:23

Officer_Charon wrote:I really do love this series, so much... I love seeing how Mutta's growing as a person, and like the blurbs say: he's gaining the skills as an astronaut, and doesn't even realise it.

Also, mad props to him for remembering that Serika dreamed of going to the ISS for her research
So many anime casts today are designed against a checklist of tropes to create caricatures that will appeal to various otaku groups so they'll buy the merchandise.

Not this cast. They have real histories and real goals and they face real challenges and show real growth. And you become invested in them, come to care about them and root for them because you want them to succeed.

It's why Silver Spoon has become my favorite anime of the 2013 Summer season. I could care less about an agricultural school, but I really care about the students who attend said school.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 29 Dec 2013 - 2:19

On someone's recommendation (and I cannot remember whom's) I picked up Hyouka. Up to episode 07 and so far, so good. It's quiet and slow, but as something to relax to I'm rather enjoying it... plus Mayaka is adorable and the male lead kind of reminds me of Sherlock (BBC variety). Part of me is constantly waiting for a: 

"What must it be like, living inside your funny little heads?"
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 29 May 2014 - 21:01

Space Brothers - A

Ninety-nine episodes over two years and it never really put a foot wrong. Hopefully we'll get an anime movie when the manga ends to tie up the story.

Spring 2012 Anime - Page 3 Space_Brothers
Artwork by Rui Zheng.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3