Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring 2016 Anime Season

+2
Alfisti
Kiskaloo
6 posters

Go down

Spring 2016 Anime Season Empty Spring 2016 Anime Season

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 20 Mar 2016 - 15:03

With the first day of Spring and the last week of the Winter Anime Season upon us, it's time to look towards the Spring 2016 season:

Angry Anime Bitches Preview

Spring 2016 Anime Season Neregate.com-Spring-2016-Anime-Chart-v2
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Spring 2016 Anime Season Empty Re: Spring 2016 Anime Season

Post by Alfisti Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 6:08

So... there's One Off: the series, some decent looking chill slice of life, Probably-Not-Waterworld, and "oh hell yes steampunk-zombie-trains".

Yep, might give a few of those a go.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 5 Apr 2016 - 23:12

Seems to be a pretty loaded season.  Here are some thoughts on some of the shows I've checked out so far.

Ace Attorney: Supposedly the premise for this involves the court system being overhauled to emphasize efficiency and convictions over due process.  So don't expect it to resemble real world law at all.

Bakuon: Some of the humor in this cute girls and motorcycles anime is pretty lowbrow, but I did find the first episode entertaining.

Endride: This is another of those shows that seems like a throwback to an earlier era of anime. It's hard to tell what to make of it given how little has been revealed so far -it seems a bit old school generic. In some respects I felt it seemed more promising before the MC got transported to another world.

Gundam Unicorn RE 0096: This is really good. On the other hand, its also essentially a rehash of the OVA thus far. Maybe Sunrise wanted to try to compete with Delta but was too cheap to make a proper new serious to do it?

Joker Game: I have reservations about this spy thriller due to its set during a time period where Japan committed some horrific war crimes. On the other hand, its based on a real (not light) novel, is directed at a mature audience, and had a really strong first episode. This is definitely a show I'm going to be keeping an eye on.

Macross Delta: For some reason I didn't like the broadcast version of Episode one as much as the preview version. Might be a matter of having already seen most of the content combined with some parts being cut/compressed. There is some new content at the end of the episode though. Those of you who have seen the preview version should at least check out the last few minutes of the broadcast version before watching future episodes.
I'm not sure I'd consider Delta quite as good a gateway Macross series as Frontier. I think Walkure's flashy battlefield performance might be too much too fast for a lot of franchise newcomers. I also think it might have been useful to have more explanation about Macross history and the Zentraedi.

Mayoiga: I'm not too keen on this one due to its dramatic excesses and oversized cast full of obnoxious characters.

Re:Zero: Another anime where a dude randomly ends up in a parallel world. I wasn't really that keen on how that part was handled and it seemed a bit generic LN-y at times. On the other hand I did end up finding that I kind of liked it... sweat

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 9 Apr 2016 - 19:16

I have to say that this season generally did not resonate with me at all. The only thing I loved was Flying Witch, with Hai-Furi, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and The Lost Village also making it past the first round of cuts.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 0:36

Kanberi: From the director of Attack on Titan comes an Attack on Titan clone featuring feudal Japanese influences, zombies, walled cities, and armored trains.  I considered Attack On Titan over hyped, but I really liked the first episode of this one.  Not sure if I'm going to continue to like it in the long run, but we'll see.

Flying Witch: I feel like I enjoyed this one more than I should have given how little substance its displayed so far. sweat

Hai-Furi: While I like girls with heavy weaponry, I tend not to be huge on cutesy military moe.  This series is not an exception.  The setting is hard for me to buy into and the characters are cliche and overly moe.

Anyway, I'm added Kanberi and Flying Witch to my watch list.  Ace Attorney and Mayoiga are more or less getting the axe, and Endride might be as well due to the exposition dumping and stupidity in its second episode.  Re:Zero is also one somewhat thin ice but I'll probably wait to see the second episode.

I haven't checked out Kuromukuro yet, but I'm interested in it.  Because its PA Works taking a shot at doing mecha. Is this a good or a bad thing... Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 2:03

Picked up Flying Witch... I think I'm going to like this one. So far, it's Harry Potter meets Aria.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 13:27

Alfisti wrote:Picked up Flying Witch... I think I'm going to like this one. So far, it's Harry Potter meets Aria.

With a bit of Kiki's Delivery Service and Someday's Dreamers thrown in, as well.

Piero wrote:Kanberi: From the director of Attack on Titan comes an Attack on Titan clone featuring feudal Japanese influences, zombies, walled cities, and armored trains.  I considered Attack On Titan over hyped, but I really liked the first episode of this one.  Not sure if I'm going to continue to like it in the long run, but we'll see.

Hai-Furi: While I like girls with heavy weaponry, I tend not to be huge on cutesy military moe.  This series is not an exception.  The setting is hard for me to buy into and the characters are cliche and overly moe.Razz

Yeah I normally don't like zombie flicks, but Kanberi looks to be something special.

As for Hai-Furi, the premise is not quite as ridiculous as Girls und Panzer and while I thought that show was a train-wreck at first it eventually grew on me so I'm willing to give this one the same courtesy for now, as well.

Everything else I tried I was bored of or disgusted with inside of five minutes and I eliminated another swath of shows from the outset based on multiple poor reviews.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 11 Apr 2016 - 16:08

The second episode of Macross Delta finished the job that the special preview cut of the first episode started and the broadcast cut of the same episode failed to finish: it sold me on the show.  I still wonder if the flashy battlefield performances and such may be too much for some newcomers -heck, they seem to be too much for some franchise veterans- but I like what I'm seeing.  The second episode did a great job of bringing the setting to life.

I liked the second episode of Bakuon as well.  Its not on the same level as Delta or Joker Game but it looks like a solid second tier contender.

Saw the first episode of Kuromukuro.  Even when they're doing a Eva-esque mecha show with ice man samurai, PA Works still found a way to incorporate their bread and butter high school girls. :p  Actually I felt this one had a pretty decent start.  Too bad the only subs available are troll subs. (Edit: Turns out its been licensed by Neflix.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 16 Apr 2016 - 16:58

With all the gearheads on this board, how is it that I seem to be the only person watching Bakuon?  Its a freaking show about cute girls and motorbikes!

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 17 Apr 2016 - 9:10

Piero wrote:With all the gearheads on this board, how is it that I seem to be the only person watching Bakuon?  Its a freaking show about cute girls and motorbikes!

I found it had none of the charm of the One Off OAVs so I dropped it after the first episode. To be honest, with the exception of Hai-Furi, none of the "cute girls being cute" shows caught my interest this season. 

I have also dropped The Lost Village with the third episode as I dislike the entire cast intensely and overall find the pacing far too slow.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 17 Apr 2016 - 17:45

The second episode is IMO better than the first, though I at least found the first good enough to want to check out the second episode so your mileage may vary.

I only watched one episode of Mayoiga/The Lost Village.

What did you dislike about Macross Delta?  Walkure's battlefield performance too over the top for you?  Too reminiscent of AKB0048/Frontier?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 17 Apr 2016 - 20:17

Piero wrote:What did you dislike about Macross Delta?  Walkure's battlefield performance too over the top for you?  Too reminiscent of AKB0048/Frontier?

I could not get through that preview episode they ran a couple of months back, so I never bothered to try the show once it formally launched. Just didn't like the concept.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 18 Apr 2016 - 4:30

Piero wrote:With all the gearheads on this board, how is it that I seem to be the only person watching Bakuon?  Its a freaking show about cute girls and motorbikes!
To be honest, I tend to be automatically leery of anything built on the premise of "here's something we thing guys might like, now add cute girls"... and the quick synopsis for that one wasn't filling me with confidence. Now, don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed some of those shows, but I'll probably wait to see what the reviews have to say before giving it a stab (or, more likely, I'll randomly get in the mood of "I feel like watching that", and give it a go then).

It's not helping that they also seem to be on bikes that don't really tickle me that much. Had they been riding Royal Enfields, BSAs, Urals, or BMW air heads I might have been a bit more interested.  sweat
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 10:01

I am watching Bakoun and High School Fleet here. Enjoying both sofar.

Anne Happy isn't too bad. weird though.
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 936

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 2:36

Uh? Sorry, I've been a bit busy watching Jojo part 4 and enjoying it massively. Trying to get into Bakuon because I enjoyed the manga, but maybe I will be more interested when Car Graffiti JK gets its own anime.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 24 Apr 2016 - 6:07

Well, so far I'm enjoying Kanberi, the whole two episodes released, and have decided I need the Flying Witch OST badly. That, I suspect, is going to become one of my favourite shows.

Hai-Furi I'm leaving until a few more episodes have been released. It looks like something I might enjoy, but will probably also need a run-up at in order to do so.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 25 Apr 2016 - 7:57

Alfisti wrote:Well, so far I'm enjoying Kanberi, the whole two episodes released…

I’m guessing the production values require a bi-weekly release schedule, but yes, I was impressed with the second episode, as well.

Alfisti wrote:…and have decided I need the Flying Witch OST badly. That, I suspect, is going to become one of my favourite shows.

It’s compares well with Junichi Sato’s stuff. In addition to the soundtrack, I hope the original manga gets picked up in the West, as well, as I’d buy it.

Alfisti wrote:Hai-Furi I'm leaving until a few more episodes have been released. It looks like something I might enjoy, but will probably also need a run-up at in order to do so.

I’m kind of hoping it will be more Sora no Woto than Girls und Panzer - enjoyable fluff with a spine of seriousness narrative.

Since I decided to follow so little of this season, I am also adding Bokurano from 2007 as it's been recently added to Crunchyroll and it has a stellar, if subdued, reputation within fandom.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Wed 4 May 2016 - 0:35

So...This season...

Bakuon is dropped for its obtrusive and excessive fanservice. (Washing bikes with your boobs...teacher basically getting a sudent drunk and stripping her students (no not kidding)...wtf). I thought it was going to pick up and be more than a bad K-On! Clone with bikes, but its proven to be even worse than that. It had me hopeful with some decent characterization, but has officially lost me in its crude Otaku bait fanservice. Honestly I feel dirty from watching it, not something I want to feel after watching something I expected to be lighthearted moe slice of life...not a hardcore ecchi stealing its character pallet from K-On! (Litterally they are like copies at this point. Mugi, Asuza, Yui, Ritsu and StigMio are there). So good bye and good riddance to bad rubbish...

Ann Happy...is hanging in. I'm giving an episode to it to let it win me back, but...well not promising. To trope-y/cliche with weird quasideveloped characters with stuff that just doesn't make any sense. I get the show is supposed to be fun but....yeah...I'm not really enjoying it.

Haifuri has been good and I have been super enjoying it. Liked how they used uh...hygiene as a plot point in the last episode...but with a recent plot dev...idk...was a sudden plot twist that I'm not so sure I like. It just doesn't fit...So we'll see.

So...this season isn't panning out well in terms of shows I'm enjoying...

Luckily I found what may be this season's highlight for me: Tanaka-kun is always Listless. 

I'm hooked on this show. The characters are fun, entertaining and I have laughed out loud to a show for the first time in a while. The stories are fun and lighthearted. It's probably going to be my show for this season if it keeps it up! Sorry Haifuri, new kid in town may be listless, but his show is fantastic!

...back to watching Sailor Moon...(the original of course. :p )
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 6 May 2016 - 0:04

Kiskaloo wrote:
Piero wrote:What did you dislike about Macross Delta?  Walkure's battlefield performance too over the top for you?  Too reminiscent of AKB0048/Frontier?

I could not get through that preview episode they ran a couple of months back, so I never bothered to try the show once it formally launched. Just didn't like the concept.

If it is Walkure's flashy battlefield performance you had a problem with, I'd suggest giving it a second chance.  The show hasn't really done much of that since the first episode.

My biggest problem with the show at the moment is actually probably other characters indulging Hayate's shitty attitude too much.  Fortunately that's at least somewhat counterbalanced by the good dynamic he has going with Freyja.

Plus it has disgustingly cute mercats.

Kiskaloo wrote:
Alfisti wrote:Well, so far I'm enjoying Kanberi, the whole two episodes released…

I’m guessing the production values require a bi-weekly release schedule, but yes, I was impressed with the second episode, as well.

Wasn't the second episode delayed because of the earthquake?

Kanberi seems to be better than its spiritual predecessor, but I still find it a bit on the eye rolling/forced grimdark side of the spectrum for my taste.

PolosElite23 wrote:Bakuon is dropped for its obtrusive and excessive fanservice. (Washing bikes with your boobs...teacher basically getting a sudent drunk and stripping her students (no not kidding)...wtf). I thought it was going to pick up and be more than a bad K-On! Clone with bikes, but its proven to be even worse than that. It had me hopeful with some decent characterization, but has officially lost me in its crude Otaku bait fanservice. Honestly I feel dirty from watching it, not something I want to feel after watching something I expected to be lighthearted moe slice of life...not a hardcore ecchi stealing its character pallet from K-On! (Litterally they are like copies at this point. Mugi, Asuza, Yui, Ritsu and StigMio are there). So good bye and good riddance to bad rubbish...

I'll admit to being somewhat shocked by how lewd the bike washing scene in the latest episode was, but overall I'm probably going to stick with the show because of how entertaining its been.  I can tolerate ecchi in comedies if they're actually funny.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 8 May 2016 - 11:51

Yes, the Walkure's flashy battlefield performance turned me off, so maybe I'll give Macross Delta another chance. I am only watching a handful of shows, so I have the time, but what I am watching I am really enjoying so I don't want to add a show that I find just "okay". I also have to burn through the second season of Snow White with the Red Hair as well as Dagashi Kashi. I also just finished Season 1 of RWBY and loved it, so I need to watch S2 and S3.

I'm very pleased Joker Game has gone with the anthology format (each episode is a self-contained and stand alone story) and that they have set said stories around the world and not just within Shanghai.

Would not be surprised if Kanberi becomes this season's "hyped" show, but frankly it deserves it. It's a better genre show than Attack on Titan and it's production values are stronger.

Hai-Furi seems to be treading the mix of "cute" and "drama" well, though it leans towards the former. Honestly, so many cute girls is probably what keeps me watching it more than the drama (it seems pretty clear the hamsters are the catalyst for said drama).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Sun 8 May 2016 - 18:21

Piero wrote:
PolosElite23 wrote:Bakuon is dropped for its obtrusive and excessive fanservice. (Washing bikes with your boobs...teacher basically getting a sudent drunk and stripping her students (no not kidding)...wtf). I thought it was going to pick up and be more than a bad K-On! Clone with bikes, but its proven to be even worse than that. It had me hopeful with some decent characterization, but has officially lost me in its crude Otaku bait fanservice. Honestly I feel dirty from watching it, not something I want to feel after watching something I expected to be lighthearted moe slice of life...not a hardcore ecchi stealing its character pallet from K-On! (Litterally they are like copies at this point. Mugi, Asuza, Yui, Ritsu and StigMio are there). So good bye and good riddance to bad rubbish...

I'll admit to being somewhat shocked by how lewd the bike washing scene in the latest episode was, but overall I'm probably going to stick with the show because of how entertaining its been.  I can tolerate ecchi in comedies if they're actually funny.
I'm just not one to get suckered into a show that didn't have ecchi stamped onto it and get nearly a porn scene. Not keen on that. The strip scene, the onsen scene and the bike washing all basically go and shout that its not a funny comedy or moe show, but hardcore ecchi. Feel free to watch it, but I've been pretty turned off.

As for my other shows, Tanaka-Kun is keeping me rolling in laughter. I freaking love this show. Ann Happy is looking to stay on, its decently amusing and its a good time killer. won't be a rewatched show, but meh. Its decent enough to keep going for now.

Haifuri is going strong and I'm interested as to what happens next with the cliff hanger. 

Kiskaloo wrote: I also just finished Season 1 of RWBY and loved it, so I need to watch S2 and S3.
Yay! More RWBY people! It keeps getting better I swear!
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Thu 12 May 2016 - 0:58

PolosElite23 wrote:Luckily I found what may be this season's highlight for me: Tanaka-kun is always Listless. 

I'm hooked on this show. The characters are fun, entertaining and I have laughed out loud to a show for the first time in a while. The stories are fun and lighthearted. It's probably going to be my show for this season if it keeps it up! Sorry Haifuri, new kid in town may be listless, but his show is fantastic!

Tanaka-kun is really fun. Another underappreciated show that I think has some really good gags is Three Leaves, Three Colours (AKA Sansha Sanyou). It's based on moe slice of life manga that's been running since 2003, meaning it actually predates the manga versions of Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch. If I had to guess why it's being adapted after so long, it's probably because an adaptation of one of the mangaka's later works (Engaged to the Unidentified, to be specific) was pretty successful a couple years back.

Flying Witch probably tops both for me but it appears a lot of people here already know about it.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 2 Jun 2016 - 4:58

Well played Flying Witch, well played.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 5 Jun 2016 - 19:12

Picked up The Lost Village again after listening to a recent ANN podcast where they discussed it and said it got more interesting as it progressed - I agree.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Another underappreciated show that I think has some really good gags is Three Leaves, Three Colours (AKA Sansha Sanyou).  It's based on moe slice of life manga that's been running since 2003, meaning it actually predates the manga versions of Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch.  If I had to guess why it's being adapted after so long, it's probably because an adaptation of one of the mangaka's later works (Engaged to the Unidentified, to be specific) was pretty successful a couple years back.

I rather liked Engaged to the Unidentified so I may have to check Three Leaves, Three Colours out.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 22:47

So my interest in Joker Game has waned to the point where I haven't even watched this week's episode yet.  The other two of my top three picks for the season are still going strong however.

My favorite show this season is definitely Macross Delta.  Delta has just gotten more and more awesome as it gone along.  My only major complaint at this point is that Mirage is underdeveloped for a character who is supposed to be part of the main triangle.  Well, that and I think the first episode may be too much for franchise newcomer's suspension of disbelief, which makes me reluctant to recommend it as a "gateway" Macross series.

I'm also still really enjoying Bakuon.  The new character, Chisame, is a great addition to what was already a pretty funny cast.  I like how she inadvertently started a war when she asked the other bike club members what sort of motorcycle she should get.  Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 18:31

Flying Witch - A+

A double-helping of awesome episodes to send us out. Loved every second of it and when she is 18, Chinatsu is totally my waifu. Vertical has licensed the manga in English so I am 100% going to be following this. Aomori Prefecture joins the list of "awesome anime places".

High School Fleet - A-

Joins Strike Witches and Soro no Woto as the trifecta of cute military girls shows. Honestly found it totally watchable and enjoyable all the way through. Weird denouement, though.

Joker Game - A-

Solid writing supported by an anthological format that allowed them to tell stories around the world (which also allowed them to neatly bypass what many thought would be a thorny issue of setting a show in China during the early years of the Second Sino-Japanese War).

The Lost Village - B

An interesting idea and it appears that the production team intended the characters and dialogue to be as...bad...as it was. Smile  Watching it week-to-week was too much of an ask, but it worked pretty well as a marathon session as you just went with the flow.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 3 Jul 2016 - 19:31

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - A-

Give the creative team and production studio behind Attack on Titan twice the budget, twice the time and half the episodes and if nothing else you are going to have a much better looking show. Story wise, I found it more fast-paced than AoT, but it had less time so they could not afford to dawdle. It was nice to see a solid protagonist in Ikoma, who came from the Meiji Matsumoto school of male leads (right down to the hair. Smile ).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum