Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members

4 posters

Go down

A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members Empty A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 22:08

Well, I have a bit of gratuitous Japanese I inserted into a Halo (of all things) fanfic. Take a look at the quote at the top of the article, I need to know if Google translator raped the Japanese language.

"kurayami no naka no subete wo shōhi shi nakere ba nara nai (Japanese: The darkness shall consume everything)"

And if you want to know what the hell is going on the with the article, basically the character in question is an alien humanoid robot sent by an evil race of alien cyborgs (SnoozeTime no, not that kind of cyborg, the Necros are a lot less cute!) to spread chaos on the home front by killing random people. She's basically based off the violent anime girl stock character (not sure she'd technically qualify as a yandere). And, as for how this related to the Halo series, to make a long story short, it's 50 years after the Halo games take place, the former Covenant races are allied with humanity, and now were at war with a new, bigger threat, the aforementioned Necros.
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members Empty Re: A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members

Post by Five_X Sun 7 Mar 2010 - 23:35

Hm. "La nerezza consumerĂ  tutto."

It could be proper. Unfortunately, Babelfish does not give actual words to work with, so someone will have to determine whether or not this string of kanji actually means something:

"暗闇はすべてを消費する。"

On another note, Necros oddly reminds me of the Necrons from WH40K. Ye better not be steppin' on mah Warhammer Four-tee kay with yer Halo fan fiction, boi, lest ye gets sum fanboys on yer tail!
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members Empty Re: A little help from the community's Japanese-speaking members

Post by SPARTAN 119 Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 0:30

Five_X wrote:
On another note, Necros oddly reminds me of the Necrons from WH40K. Ye better not be steppin' on mah Warhammer Four-tee kay with yer Halo fan fiction, boi, lest ye gets sum fanboys on yer tail!

The Necros are not actually my creation, but actually masterminded by another member of the Halo Fanon Wiki community as part of a massive community project. As for their inspiration, while they have been speculated as being based on the Necrons of Warhammer 40K as you pointed out, as well as the Strogg from Quake and the Chimera from Resistance: Fall of Man, their creator states that
When i began originally drawing up the Necros as faction, and not originally in the Halo Universe, the main inspiration behind them was the comic book Virus (1995), written by Chuck Pfarrer (then the follow up movie in 1999) which predates Quake 2/The Strogg by two years. The idea of a faction using corpses as parts of thier machines interested me so I wrote it up, did some sketches, then thought at the time, it would make a wonderful Halo Fanon project =3.
So, I began to write a back story, where the Necros, an abandoned facet of the Forerunner Empire, believe the humans have stolen the mantle that should rightfully be thiers and thus seek to reclaim it, preferably by destroying everybody else in the way. And, unless I've noted it down somewhere else by mistake, the Necros are Tier 1, same as the Forerunners.
If you want to see what Necros soldiers, vehicles etc. look like, click here. And yes, a lot of them use images from other series.

Although, you are right in noting that the Necros Project does have a lot of homages to other series, for instance....
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 0:44

SPARTAN 119 wrote:"kurayami no naka no subete wo shōhi shi nakere ba nara nai (Japanese: The darkness shall consume everything)"
That looks pretty butchered to me. There's a lot of unnecessary wording in there. I would say something like 暗闇は全てが消費されます。 ("Kurayami wa subete ga shouhi saremasu.") would be closer to what you want. What Five posted should be legitimate as well.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 0:59

KodokuRyuu wrote:
SPARTAN 119 wrote:"kurayami no naka no subete wo shōhi shi nakere ba nara nai (Japanese: The darkness shall consume everything)"
That looks pretty butchered to me. There's a lot of unnecessary wording in there. I would say something like 暗闇は全てが消費されます。 ("Kurayami wa subete ga shouhi saremasu.") would be closer to what you want. What Five posted should be legitimate as well.
Although we must remember the "person" who left this message is actually an killer alien robot sent to cause chaos on the home front, so being an alien, perhaps it makes sense that they'd butcher the Japanese language. Also some potential for a little comic relief. For instance, perhaps having someone tell said evil alien cyborg, "You do realize it's pronounced "dess", don't you!"
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 3:48

SPARTAN 119 wrote:Although we must remember the "person" who left this message is actually an killer alien robot sent to cause chaos on the home front, so being an alien, perhaps it makes sense that they'd butcher the Japanese language.
That's not the kind of butchering one would typically do... At least romanize it as "Kurayami no naka no subete wo shōhishi nakereba nara nai". The "ba" is part of the verb ending and the "shi" is from the verb "suru" (which gives me the feeling that it might be "shōhishinakereba" or "shōhishina kereba").
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 8 Mar 2010 - 3:56

I think you'd be better off writing the thing in English, with some 'text effects' added to mark that it's translated from the Japanese. Comic books do that all the time, and so do I.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down