Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available!

+7
ChaosKin640
ElfenMagix
Triela
Nachtsider
boomer_gonz
Kiskaloo
Robert Frazer
11 posters

Go down

Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available! Empty Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available!

Post by Robert Frazer Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 13:02

Surely an exciting transition point for all of us GSG fans - after keeping the candle of enthusiasm burning in the darkness of obscurity for years now, a new dawn of greater recognition is finally approaching.

While it's yet to make its way across the pond, I understand that the first omnibus edition of Seven Seas Entertainment's edition of Gunslinger Girl should now be available in America. There's a preview version of chapter one on the internet for people who want to have a taste of the new translation.

So, for those closer to a Barnes & Noble than me - what's the new edition like? A triumphant return like we've hoped?
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available! Empty Re: Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available!

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 13:53

I know a few people have picked it up and they say the translation is better than ADV's original. Mine is on order with The Right Stuff, but the release date shows the end of the month.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available! Empty Re: Seven Seas' Gunslinger Girl Re-Release now available!

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 15:12

SWEET!!!

-heads to Right Stuf as I pull out my Otaku discount card-
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 17:30

So I snagged a(nother) copy at Barnes & Noble and finished the first five chapters (Volume 1 of the tankoban).

The translation is quite different than what ADV did. Rather than do a literal translation, Seven Seas took what the Japanese version said and re-wrote it in "natural English". So it flows much better.

Seven Seas also based their translation on the entire comic to date, as opposed to the chapter itself. So Hilshire tells Triela in Chapter 2 that he met Mario Bossi in Amsterdam and Triela knows (well, assumes) that she was rescued from a snuff film, to cite two examples.

So if you are a first-time reader of Gunslinger Girl, there will be no surprises for you as the script already takes into account things that happen in future chapters and adjusts earlier chapter dialogue to reflect that.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 20:55

Kiskaloo wrote:Seven Seas also based their translation on the entire comic to date, as opposed to the chapter itself. So Hilshire tells Triela in Chapter 2 that he met Mario Bossi in Amsterdam and Triela knows (well, assumes) that she was rescued from a snuff film, to cite two examples.

So if you are a first-time reader of Gunslinger Girl, there will be no surprises for you as the script already takes into account things that happen in future chapters and adjusts earlier chapter dialogue to reflect that.
Very unusual touch.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 21:09

I got it a week ago. It's great! ^_^
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 22:07

I got it on Saturday at Forbidden Planet. It is a much better rewrite and the graphics have been lightened up, showing more details than the original.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 22:26

I picked up my copy today at Chapters and, at the risk of great personal humiliation, I'll admit that I giggled with glee all of the way home. Embarassed
The print quality is great, the new translations, as has been said, flows and feels much more "natural" than previously. I don't, however, like the way the new translations give away future information, such as with the examples Kisk gave. But that's a nitpicky point and having already read the series, a moot point for me. All in all, I am extremely pleased with it and fully intend to buy all future installments.
ChaosKin640
ChaosKin640

Male

Forum Posts : 417

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire & Alessandro

Original Characters : Jacob, Sophia, Melanie, Costante, Nina, Enzo and Lucretia

Registration date : 2010-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 0:50

I was going to pick up a copy from Borders, but the company seems to be facing a bit of trouble lately (i.e. bankruptcy). Now my local Borders is dead. Damn Kindles, etc.
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaosKin640 Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 6:47

Ugh..my sympathies there, Godot. Call me old fashioned, but I've never been a fan of the whole, "Star Trek data pad" e-reader revolution. I understand the appeal of the things, but I'm a tactile reader. Half the enjoyment I derive from reading a book is actually holding a book in my hand. There's just something about the smell of the paper and the feel of flipping through each individual page that resonates within me.
ChaosKin640
ChaosKin640

Male

Forum Posts : 417

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire & Alessandro

Original Characters : Jacob, Sophia, Melanie, Costante, Nina, Enzo and Lucretia

Registration date : 2010-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 10:40

ChaosKin640 wrote:Ugh..my sympathies there, Godot. Call me old fashioned, but I've never been a fan of the whole, "Star Trek data pad" e-reader revolution. I understand the appeal of the things, but I'm a tactile reader. Half the enjoyment I derive from reading a book is actually holding a book in my hand. There's just something about the smell of the paper and the feel of flipping through each individual page that resonates within me.
That said, there's a certain advantage to being able to carry a large reference library in your briefcase...i.e. stored on a laptop. I work at sea and there's no way I could take all the things I store on this machine (dictionary, world atlas, GsG chapters up to 69) that I use to write fiction along with me if I had to carry paperbound copies.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 14:36

I've always been a late-adopter when it comes to new technology. I've never owned an iPod, and my mobile is a Sony-Ericsson model that's so old that when I went to buy a replacement charger for it I was told that they don't make them any more. However, when returning from my skiing trip and spending about half an hour rearranging my rucksack trying to wedge in Neil Gaiman's American Gods (661 pages), Matthew Farrer's Enforcer (758 pages), Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast (960 pages) and James Clavell's Shogun (1,126 pages), I experienced an epiphany.

CHRIST on a BIKE, I need a Kindle.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 19:46

Robert Frazer wrote:CHRIST on a BIKE, I need a Kindle.
I've got a partner at work who has one of those...he likes it.

Advantages: Big memory, incredible battery life.

Disadvantage: It's only a book viewer, that's all it can do.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 22 Feb 2011 - 20:19

you can get the kindle app and use whatever you like to display the books
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Mon 7 Mar 2011 - 2:38

I did a quick side-by-side comparison of the two, and it's obvious the re-release is better. The artwork is mastered much better, and the translations certainly aren't as awkward. The only problem I have with it really is the baffling re-translation of the chapter names, specifically Chapter 1 and Chapter 6. They do a good job romanticizing the general script for the most part, but they use more literal translations for the chapter names, the first one going from "Observing the Heavens", a nice title that got the original point across, to "Astronomical Observations", a more accurate but less cool translation. Chapter 6 is especially strange, as the original title was "Vegetable Gardens" and was never in Japanese to my knowledge, but yet they changed it to "A Kitchen Garden", a vague and wholly unnecessary re-translation. Maybe I'm just being too nitpicky.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down