Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009?

+12
Thanatos
Sakura
KodokuRyuu
Tommygunner70
ElfenMagix
Danjo3
Triela
Wileama
West Nile
sasahara17
Nachtsider
Sintendo
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009? Empty ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009?

Post by Sintendo Fri 30 May 2008 - 2:54

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36891

Sigh... looks like my prediction of a 2 year hiatus between bursts of releases is coming true...

2003: Volume 1
2005: Volume 2, 3
2007: Volume 4, 5, 6
2009: Volume ????
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Forum Posts : 618

Comments : It's like a 5 hour orgasm.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009? Empty Re: ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009?

Post by Nachtsider Fri 30 May 2008 - 2:58

Tch.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009? Empty Re: ADV representative admits they made a mistake in Manga market... Gunslinger Girl vol. 7 in 2009?

Post by sasahara17 Fri 30 May 2008 - 3:57

WTF man, WTF...
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Fri 30 May 2008 - 4:34

it's times like this that i say THANK YOU TOMMY!!!
West Nile
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Forum Posts : 1747

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama Fri 30 May 2008 - 12:36

This is a great note to leave on just before bed...
Wileama
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Fri 30 May 2008 - 19:37

I'll get in contact with Alexandra from ADV. I'll tell you the outcome. ^_~
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 Sat 31 May 2008 - 4:44

Is it just me or does it sometimes seem that every thing about GSG is a waiting game? bang head
Danjo3
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 May 2008 - 7:11

Is it just me or does it sometimes seem that every thing about GSG is a waiting game?

Not here--manga came out once a month.

Lost track of it though; haven't been reading anything manga-related except textbooks and more textbooks after I entered highschool T_T

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 Sat 31 May 2008 - 8:35

Panzer, how I envy you...
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 Sat 31 May 2008 - 9:45

sasahara17 wrote:Panzer, how I envy you...
Ditto.
Danjo3
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo Sat 31 May 2008 - 9:55

Danjo3 wrote:
sasahara17 wrote:Panzer, how I envy you...
Ditto.

I don't.

:lollol: IB
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Sat 31 May 2008 - 15:15

West Nile wrote:it's times like this that i say THANK YOU TOMMY!!!
Yes... I have to agree- Thank You, Tommy!
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Sun 1 Jun 2008 - 17:48

Well I just sent an e-mail to adv saying:

Dear Alexandra

My friends on the Gunslinger Girl forum has been
asking each other about the relies of the 7th volume
of the manga and I told them I would e-mail you again.
I'm sorry if I'm pestering you, but the second season
of the anime is going to be dubbed by Funimation and
is coming out in 2009, so we're all hyped up for more
Gunslinger Girl.

We're not asking for a definite relies date, we just
want to make sure it is coming out sometime. (soon, we
hope!) ^_^

Thank you for your time.
Triela
Triela

Female

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 14:59

Triela, well put, and civillaly done too! :face:
(And my spelling sux too!)
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 16:26

ElfenMagix wrote:Yes... I have to agree- Thank You, Tommy!

*Bows* I aim to please.

But seriously, You'd think that ADV could actually learn something from us all. (Speaking as a group here)

We get the Japanese scans and have all the dialog translated within a weeks time. then we scanlate them raws in less then 2 to 3 hours?
Meaning that in a 5 chapter volume, we'd have spent at least a 35 days and about 15 hours total.

So seriously: why the fuck does ADV take over 2 years for one fucking volume?
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1956

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 17:30

Actually, I've gotten where I can transcribe and translate a chapter in 2 days - it's just when I have trouble with a Japanese phrase I don't know that it takes longer. ADV should have professional translators so it shouldn't take them more than 1-2 hours to translate a chapter, maybe a little longer if they have to look up some Italian stuff.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 18:36

Tommygunner70 wrote:
ElfenMagix wrote:Yes... I have to agree- Thank You, Tommy!

*Bows* I aim to please.

But seriously, You'd think that ADV could actually learn something from us all. (Speaking as a group here)

We get the Japanese scans and have all the dialog translated within a weeks time. then we scanlate them raws in less then 2 to 3 hours?
Meaning that in a 5 chapter volume, we'd have spent at least a 35 days and about 15 hours total.

So seriously: why the fuck does ADV take over 2 years for one fucking volume?

There's only 3 things I can think of:

1) Liscensing issues. You can't just take the manga, translate it, and release it like we can. People in funny black suits get really angry when people do that...

2) Money. You gotta pay people to translate and clean this stuff up. Again, those funny guys in the black suits...

3) There ALWAYS has to be a "number" 3 when it comes to lists.
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 21:22

Sintendo wrote:There's only 3 things I can think of:

1) Liscensing issues. You can't just take the manga, translate it, and release it like we can. People in funny black suits get really angry when people do that...

2) Money. You gotta pay people to translate and clean this stuff up. Again, those funny guys in the black suits...

1. They've already done 6 volumes, you'd think they'd have it worked out by now...
  2. This is what they do, they can't make money if they don't pay their translators and they can't pay their translators if they don't license series.
  3. It's got to be number three.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 21:28

Most of the translations are done mechanically, then humanly checked for gramattical/cultural errors.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 21:47

If that's the case, why does bablefish suck so much? My understanding was machines are crap at translation. Why do you think the Military still uses human translators. No humans are still at the core of translation. I imagine it would be easier for the to start from scratch then correct the stupid machine.
Wileama
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 21:53

Babelfish is free, so it's the worse than the stuff you pay for. To my knowledge, none of it's all that great though. I use babelfish for GSG mainly when I need a boost of confidence (aka "haha I can translate better than you"). Razz
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 22:04

KodokuRyuu wrote:

1. They've already done 6 volumes, you'd think they'd have it worked out by now...
  2. This is what they do, they can't make money if they don't pay their translators and they can't pay their translators if they don't license series.

1) Concerning printed work, I think it's done on a volume-by-volume basis. Case in point: The Kino no Tabi novels were liscensed, volume 1 released, but then trouble began brewing and volume 2 was never released.

2) Right. The ADV representative said that they were concentrating their efforts on anime, rather than manga. Seeing as how the anime market is in a slump in the US, I can see why almost nothing is going toward the manga sector of their market.

3) Bong hit
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 22:08

I think it's mainly the licensing issue. It doesn't cost much to translate manga, which is why so much manga is brought over compared to anime series. I bet Volumes 7+ have been translated, but working the issues over the licensing can take time. I think since Il Teatrino has been licensed and is now coming over next year, it would be smart to release the next books then (if they really are being released).

I'm still waiting for those KINO NOVELS! bang head
Sakura
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 22:35

Sintendo wrote:
KodokuRyuu wrote:

1) Concerning printed work, I think it's done on a volume-by-volume basis. Case in point: The Kino no Tabi novels were liscensed, volume 1 released, but then trouble began brewing and volume 2 was never released.

2) Right. The ADV representative said that they were concentrating their efforts on anime, rather than manga. Seeing as how the anime market is in a slump in the US, I can see why almost nothing is going toward the manga sector of their market.

3) Bong hit
That makes more sense.

Sintendo wrote:3) Bong hit
I still blame it on number three though. Laughing
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Tue 3 Jun 2008 - 2:21

KodokuRyuu wrote:Babelfish is free, so it's the worse than the stuff you pay for.

Simply put: "You get what you pay for."
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Thu 5 Jun 2008 - 14:22

UN Translators get paid $200/hour, and must have a Masters degree in comminication in the second language. Same applies if you want a job with the CIA or FBI- if you state you are bilingual- you must have a masters in that other language. Being born a native speaker is not good enough for them on that!

Now they are seeing the mistakes in this policy with Arabic, because you cant learn the language totally in school. You have to have been grown up in its environment to understand all the eunances of the language.

Personally, I'm a native Spanish speaker/writer, and the crap that is taught in school is barely enough to keep me from starving in some Spanish speaking country! I have learned snippets of other languages through friends and necessity; at least if I crash land anywhere on the planet, I can at least ask for food, shelter and directions in the basics of human tongues!

BTW, war time translators in the field (according to my friend who is a civilian medical instructor in Iraq) makes anywhere from $1500 - $2500 an hour! As a medical instructor- he only gets $1200/hour! He's pissed that his 'service translator boy' makes more money than he does!
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Thu 5 Jun 2008 - 21:28

I need to change degree plans. -_- Seriously though - getting a masters in languages wouldn't do all that much for me. The stuff for a bachelors would teach me enough to learn a language at probably 2-3 times my current rate, but I'm more of a do it myself, hands-on type of guy. Plus I don't think I could bare to sit through all those beginning classes. Maybe I should try to clep my way through a degree...
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 13:34

... >_<

Reply from ADV:

Unfortunately, I do not have any updates at this time about volume 7 of
Gunslinger Girl.

Sincerely,
Alexandra Bentlif

I sent a message back thanking her for the info but... I'm upset...
Triela
Triela

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 13:58

Pah.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 15:39

Mother fuckers!!!! I should fucking buy the goddamn rights to translate GSG to English!!!!
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 16:55

lol @ Nacht's replies.

This has got to be the least amount of words you've written in ANY topic, man.
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 16:57

Never thought I'd outdo myself in that department...
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Thu 12 Jun 2008 - 17:37

Thumbs to to Triela, for trying. Its not her or her friend's fault that ADV is a company full of Triad boys who think they can make legal moneys for their illegal activities! :face:

Thumbs up, MegaPoints and Internets to Natchsider for possibly having the shortest forum answer anywhere that makes sense! Beats "D'OH!" by 1 character! :lol!:
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos Tue 24 Jun 2008 - 16:01

Wow, i know from experience that publishers usually take a long time to translate, copy and release a full volume from japanese to english but these guys really push it to retarded levels. This unnecessary amount of time that they take to make a single volume just boost internet piracy of the manga.

Thanatos

Male

Forum Posts : 140

Fan of : Portugal

Original Characters : DUR HUR

Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Tue 24 Jun 2008 - 16:18

Death to ADV!

If I had the cash, I would have gone into business with that together with Kodoku. pity we cant get hold of no damn license and what not...

ElfenMagix wrote:Thumbs up, MegaPoints and Internets to Natchsider for possibly having the shortest forum answer anywhere that makes sense! Beats "D'OH!" by 1 character! :lol!:

Oh, I might have one that's 3 letters, maybe even 2, but I'd be using Dutch for both of them Razz
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Wed 25 Jun 2008 - 7:31

Tommygunner70 wrote:
ElfenMagix wrote:Thumbs up, MegaPoints and Internets to Natchsider for possibly having the shortest forum answer anywhere that makes sense! Beats "D'OH!" by 1 character! :lol!:

Oh, I might have one that's 3 letters, maybe even 2, but I'd be using Dutch for both of them Razz

No
West Nile
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Wed 25 Jun 2008 - 7:57

West Nile wrote:
Tommygunner70 wrote:

No

A.....
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Wed 25 Jun 2008 - 22:51

o_O
West Nile
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2008 - 22:18

They better be using that money to make the Evangelion live action.
> : (

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 2:44

Soha Brote wrote:They better be using that money to make the Evangelion live action.
> : (

Turn Evangelion into life action?

If they are, then I seriously hope that they do a better Job then they did with the Live action series of "You're underarrest"
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 3:10

I don't think any of us should hold our breath on this one, Tommy.

Evangelion is best left as it is.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 9:24

Nachtsider wrote:Evangelion is best left as it is.

Agreed, I never understood the point of having so many remakes, while the only differance is the end. its an endless stream of "Open endings" or better yet as per my reaction. "Errr.... to be continued?"
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 11:28

The Evangelion live action has been in development hell for years. If they do make it, I'm expecting a Transformers type summer blockbuster extravaganza. Possibly with Shia LaBeouf.

It will be awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 16:15

Right, reminds me of Microsoft wanting to do a Movie of their "Mechwarrior" games, which could just be a life action of the old american cartoon's from back in the day named "BattleTech."
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 18:09

Tommygunner70 wrote:Death to ADV!

If I had the cash, I would have gone into business with that together with Kodoku. pity we cant get hold of no damn license and what not...
Amen to that! Hmm... now you've got me wondering what it takes to get hold of a license... Or at least what it would take to infiltrate ADV. Very Happy
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 21:07

Soha Brote wrote:I'm expecting a Transformers type summer blockbuster extravaganza. Possibly with Shia LaBeouf.

It will be awesome.
Bay's Transformers movie was a disgrace.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 21:53

Nachtsider wrote:
Soha Brote wrote:I'm expecting a Transformers type summer blockbuster extravaganza. Possibly with Shia LaBeouf.

It will be awesome.
Bay's Transformers movie was a disgrace.

Tch, you are obviously not a fan of mindless action flicks.

If you never allow yourself to mentally process beyond the fact that giant CGI robots are on screen, they are very enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 23:03

Soha Brote wrote:The Evangelion live action has been in development hell for years. If they do make it, I'm expecting a Transformers type summer blockbuster extravaganza. Possibly with Shia LaBeouf.

It will be awesome.

I'm a bit weary when it comes to live action. I heard they're making a live action Dragonball movie with American actors that's to be released sometime next year. Chow-Yun Fat as Master Roshi? I don't know what to think. NO

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what's so great about Shia LaBeouf. During the Transformers movie I was hoping for either Bumblebee, Megatron, Optimus Prime or some other Autobot to step on him. He didn't impress me in Indiana Jones either.
Sakura
Sakura
Dr. Turtle Punter

Female

Forum Posts : 472

Fan of : Penguins, Pancake Bunny

Comments : Likes penguins, flop-eared bunnies, punting turtles, and kicking pigeons

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 27 Jun 2008 - 23:33

Soha Brote wrote:Tch, you are obviously not a fan of mindless action flicks.

If you never allow yourself to mentally process beyond the fact that giant CGI robots are on screen, they are very enjoyable.
I don't mean to be rude, Soha, but your post seems to indicate that you aren't very familiar with the Transformers mythos, along with why many fans considered the Bay movie a letdown. The Transformers saga is a deep, well-written and intelligent one, and is hardly something that can be done justice via a 'mindless action flick'. Hence my previous post. It's not the special effects that myself and countless fans had any problem with - they were good. It was the way they handled the storyline.

That script had plot holes big enough for a convoy of Decepticons or Autobots to move through, and mischaracterized many faces familiar to fans. Hell, they didn't even get the usual writer for Transformers, Simon Furman, to write or at least take a look at it. Why things turned out this way is totally beyond me - with him at the helm, the flick would definitely have been a success. Take Nolan's Batman flicks and the recent Iron Man movie, for instance. They're proof positive that a slam-bang action film can be smart, well-written and respectful of the source material.

At least the present Transformers animated series makes up for Bay's movie. With strong scripts, excellent characterization and a coherent plot, along with all the homages that send fans jumping for joy, the show is love.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next