Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap

2 posters

Go down

Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap Empty Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap

Post by Tross Wed 23 Jan 2013 - 23:53

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/podcasts/weekly-manga-recap/37998-weekly-manga-recap-gunslinger-girl

I listen to this podcast once in a blue moon(not very often), but when I heard they reviewed Gunslinger Girl, I had to check it out. I can't say I agree with their consensus, but to each their own. Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap 61015 I do like GsG for the same reasons as Chris, but I completely disagree about the art. I actually prefer the earlier art to the later stuff, and think it was all really well done. I noticed that a lot of detail went into Italian buildings, landmarks, art pieces, and other things that are a part of Italy's rich heritage, but not so much detail went into things like military compounds or shooting ranges, or any other backgrounds. study Personally, I've never had an issue with the way characters were drawn, or with transitions, but I don't read a lot of manga, so maybe my perspective is different from theirs. Puzzled

They do appear to be big on shounen, and other more action based manga, so perhaps they prefer a different kind of manga. Speaking of which, I actually do kind of agree with their observations of how action scenes are represented. They get the point across, but I've seen action better represented in other manga, even with my limited experience with the medium. Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap 61015 With that said, I love the writing and the characters, and the action scenes help mix things up from time to time, which I like. Overall, I guess I don't see eye to eye with these internet reviewers, but as a GsG fan, I suppose that's to be expected.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? I thought this would make for a good discussion topic, so feel free to weigh in.

P.S. I can't view, or I guess listen to, the podcast on my IPad, even with the Skyfire app, but it works fine on my Windows XP netbook. People with IOS devices might want to keep that in mind.
Tross
Tross

Male

Forum Posts : 122

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : None. I don't write fanfic.

Comments : N/A

Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap Empty Re: Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 24 Jan 2013 - 11:58

Tross wrote:P.S. I can't view, or I guess listen to, the podcast on my IPad, even with the Skyfire app, but it works fine on my Windows XP netbook. People with IOS devices might want to keep that in mind.

It's just an MP3 file. I downloaded it to my Mac, added it to iTunes and then copied it over to my iPhone.

As to the podcast, I think they brought up some valid criticisms, especially for someone who has only read the first fifth of the entire manga (they said 20 chapters) and then only once. Most of us have probably read the manga multiple times, and some chapters scores of times, plus we've seen the anime (one of the reviewers noted he felt it would be a batter TV series than a manga) and we discuss the show extensively on this forum.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap Empty Re: Gunslinger Girl featured on Weekly Manga Recap

Post by Tross Tue 29 Jan 2013 - 1:48

True, we do discuss the series extensively here, and it was introduced to me through the anime. I actually picked up the first omnibus of the manga on a whim, due to enjoying the anime, and that's when GsG jumped from my third or fourth favourite Japanese series to my first. study I suppose if it wasn't for the anime, I probably wouldn't have heard of the series, and I do admit, it does benefit from the move to anime in some respects(I still wish the anime could have continued on, in either style). It's also not the kind of series those guys seem to have a preference for, so I guess I can see why they might not be as into it. sweat
Tross
Tross

Male

Forum Posts : 122

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : None. I don't write fanfic.

Comments : N/A

Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down