Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Private Attempts at Cyborg Development

+2
Kiskaloo
Il Direttore
6 posters

Go down

Private Attempts at Cyborg Development Empty Private Attempts at Cyborg Development

Post by Il Direttore Wed 5 Mar 2014 - 10:25

This is apparently a thing in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I'm not sure how to feel about it, honestly, and it's also rather strongly dependent on the setting of the MGS Universe, but maybe with some spinning and twisting from Cyborg Central, it could be a thing? 

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Sears_Program
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Private Attempts at Cyborg Development Empty Re: Private Attempts at Cyborg Development

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 5 Mar 2014 - 10:55

Well within the OC universe there are a number of governments that have active child cyborg programs, so it does not seem be on reason that there are private companies assisting with those programs or engaging in their own programs independently.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Private Attempts at Cyborg Development Empty Re: Private Attempts at Cyborg Development

Post by Il Direttore Wed 5 Mar 2014 - 11:28

Well the OC universe may be modified, mightn't it? Why not have multiple divergent timelines or just multiple parallel universes? It just seems like having Private Cyborg Battalions might be a really interesting conflict. I also would predict that Taerkitty could have a field day with this sort of thing. 

If nothing else, I think this is a really neat intellectual exercise. The conditions for such technology to be available in the private sector would be intriguing speculah, for one thing, and the possibility of a cyborg being captured or the data being lost somehow make for interesting implications and inductive reasoning. 

I could see, for example, the reverse engineering of Italian prosthetic technology by, say, China (because I always pick China) and the upgrading of this tech to a military standard. China is corrupt, so this information is quickly sold to the highest bidder in Hong Kong or Macau, where it makes its way across the globe. I think we discussed that particular scenario before, but more ideas is always good.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 5 Mar 2014 - 13:45

It does sound like the SWA hired / acquired people from the private and University sectors working on cybernetics, artificial organs, mental conditioning and other disciplines, put them together, and gave them the funding and freedom to do what they needed to make a working prototype (Angelica) and then production models.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 3:36

Kiskaloo wrote:Well within the OC universe there are a number of governments that have active child cyborg programs...
I think it depends on which OC (presuming by that you mean "Original Character" rather than "Original Canon") universe you consult.  Razz 

That said: it's certainly an interesting prospect... particularly as a programme run by a private organisation may not need to worry so much (not the same as "not at all", but there would presumably be a little less bureaucracy to deal with) about hiding the budget, justifying its funding etc. Not to mention it might not need to weigh political ramifications as much as a government might... though, I think once you've started converting children into cybernetic soldiers it's probably something of an all-or-nothing gig, no matter whether the owner be public or private.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 12:33

Alfisti wrote:it's certainly an interesting prospect... particularly as a programme run by a private organisation may not need to worry so much (not the same as "not at all", but there would presumably be a little less bureaucracy to deal with) about hiding the budget, justifying its funding etc.

I expect a private organization would have to justify the funding far more than a government would.Wink

I think the main worry would be secrecy - as in worry about what would happen when knowledge of the program became public. As such, perhaps the project would likely be located in a "failed state" where one could guarantee the discretion of the local "government" (as well as leverage their power for security) or located someplace well outside international boundaries (like an island in the South Atlantic or Pacific).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 14:17

Well there are plenty of places like this in Africa. I imagine also that you can pay off a regional warlord in one of the more mountainous nations in the Middle East (Rural Pakistan or Afghanistan springs to mind). Indoctrination camps are certainly a thing there, after all, and if you have the fundage to do cyborgs, you can probably afford to buy/rent a zeppelin, such as discussed in the General Aviation Thread. 

Hell, that would actually be very useful for the SWA as well. But in any case. 

I suspect a big problem would be getting the capital in the first place. What would be a viable method of getting this cash? The Russian Mafia, Yakuza, and the Chinese Military/Triads are the stereotypical choices for this sort of thing.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 15:12

Il Direttore wrote:I suspect a big problem would be getting the capital in the first place. What would be a viable method of getting this cash? The Russian Mafia, Yakuza, and the Chinese Military/Triads are the stereotypical choices for this sort of thing.

Not sure they'd be interested in funding such an outfit.

I expect it would be more medical consortiums - major pharmaceutical companies, major bioengineering firms, stuff like that.

Honestly, you'd need some shadowy medical company like the Aleria Corporation in the current SyFy series Helix or the Umbrella Corporation from the Resident Evil universe.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sat 8 Mar 2014 - 19:15

Theft of cyborg technology by NGOs is the central conflict of Rehabilitation Branch. Prime baddies are drug and arms cartels, sinister research corporations, and decommissioned foreign agencies that refuse to die.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sat 8 Mar 2014 - 20:51

Sears Program.  Gives new meaning to Sears Robot & Co...
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1211

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 8 Mar 2014 - 20:58

Kiskaloo wrote:
Il Direttore wrote:I suspect a big problem would be getting the capital in the first place. What would be a viable method of getting this cash? The Russian Mafia, Yakuza, and the Chinese Military/Triads are the stereotypical choices for this sort of thing.

Not sure they'd be interested in funding such an outfit.

I expect it would be more medical consortiums - major pharmaceutical companies, major bioengineering firms, stuff like that.

Honestly, you'd need some shadowy medical company like the Aleria Corporation in the current SyFy series Helix or the Umbrella Corporation from the Resident Evil universe.
I get this suspicion that Big Pharma, in real life, does not actually condone this sort of behaviour. Still, this is good to know for the future. 

---

Thescarredman wrote:Theft of cyborg technology by NGOs is the central conflict of Rehabilitation Branch. Prime baddies are drug and arms cartels, sinister research corporations, and decommissioned foreign agencies that refuse to die.

How does RB implement this? Is there a specified scenario laid out that I'm too lazy to look up at this particular moment?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 13:16

Presently, the bad guys' preferred method of obtaining cyborg tech is to suborn the handlers, who deliver their girls up for backwards engineering in the manner of Earnest and Pia.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 14:32

That is an obscene level of creepy. 

In all seriousness, it takes a special kind of fucked-up to give, what is effectively a small child, up for experimentation. 

Does anyone have any idea what the legal details of sinister research corporations would entail?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 20:08

You mean, like the Social Welfare Agency?
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 20:13

Well that's not really "sinister" so much as "questionably moral". At least, i imagine sinister as: 
"Test Subject 72 has died today." 
"Oh is that so? How sad. How go the destruction test on Subject 27?" 
"Very well, she has taken up to a .50 BMG round so far. We are planning on testing 25mm autocannon today." 
"Well take care to start at the extremities. Let's not ruin a perfectly good subject too quickly..."
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 21:09

"Pull harder, Claes! You should be able to make that shoulder joint pop like an egg!"

Jean: "I don't care how many cyborgs we lose in the attack. They've all died once already, after all."
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 21:12

And you say you hate my Jean...
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 9 Mar 2014 - 21:33

...Point taken, I guess? 

Actually, you know, it might be interesting to write a story from the perspective of a civilian contractor that accidentally finds the SWA....
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 8:41

You mean like Priss?
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 9:03

I though Priscilla was a Guardia di Finanza member before the SWA?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 9:15

Il Direttore wrote:I though Priscilla was a Guardia di Finanza member before the SWA?

That is correct.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 10:11

Yep, but 'nilla polizia are still civvies, no?
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 10:37

Depends - the Carabinieri are military and the Polizia di Stato are civilian. 

The Guardia di Finanza are under the Ministry of Economy and Finance so, yes, she would be a "civilian" in that sense.

I was under the impression Il Direttore was speaking of someone not directly on the government payroll (so working for a company contracted to provide services with the government - like Boeing to NASA or the DoD) coming across the SWA.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 10:42

I know, I know.  But, this gives me ideas.

"Priscilla?  What did you think of us when you first met us?"

"You and Paolo?"

"No, me and the rest of the girls."
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 10 Mar 2014 - 10:43

What Kisk said. I was thinking about what might happen if you were doing some research into, say, artificial nerves, and found a paper by Bianchi or whoever, and then plot happens and you end up getting accosted by Terminettes. 

Although Taer does have a point there....
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Thu 20 Mar 2014 - 14:38

Il Directtore.... Africa?
Google "MIT Cyborg Program" and see what they are doing here in the states! And Israel is also having a a real life cyborg program for their bus-bomb victims... No, not just prosthesis, but something more which means Cybernetics.

---

As for my universe, Section One had a cyborg program using vets who were dismembered during their time in service. Thing is this... They Section One Cyborgs thought indestructible and went after their target with too much enthusiasm. Their first case was when one tried to stop a train, head on, with only using his body... Well, he did stop the train and the target captured but only to have himself killed and a train derailed. All but one of their cyborgs were killed. That one is in Section Two...
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down