Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gun nut thread

+24
Alfisti
BleepinFireman
John_234
Darkstar117
Awinnell
maverick375
tsundere9kagami2
Danjo3
Kiskaloo
Nuke is Good
West Nile
Utsurokuri
Sakura
boomer_gonz
Sintendo
Tommygunner70
Piero
Thanatos
Wileama
emperor
ElfenMagix
Nachtsider
rusty-spring
LoC978
28 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

gun nut thread - Page 8 Empty Re: gun nut thread

Post by maverick375 Sun 10 May 2009 - 8:44

It's not really any different from having an extra upper for a basic AR lying around.

For a true utility rifle, the COBB MCR is the way to go.
http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2900/2993.htm
There are 4 series which represent different chamber size groups. To change calibers within the same group, you only change the bolt and barrel. The 100 series can change from a 9mm to a 50 Beowulf like that.
To change between series (such as 100 to 400), you change the entire upper and magazine well. So you go from 9mm to 458 Win Mag.

maverick375

Forum Posts : 826

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sun 10 May 2009 - 9:11

.50 Beo is Awesome!

Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Forum Posts : 5722

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 May 2009 - 10:52

I wish I could get myself a live gun.

...although BB gun replicas are nice to scare some friends who came to visit

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Mon 11 May 2009 - 12:40

Panzer IV wrote:I wish I could get myself a live gun.

wait so what is the legal age for getting a gun there?

West Nile
WestNilepedia

Forum Posts : 1747

Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 11 May 2009 - 13:06

West Nile wrote:
Panzer IV wrote:I wish I could get myself a live gun.

wait so what is the legal age for getting a gun there?

In theory, personal possession of weapons is illegal in Japan. There is, however, a rather long and involved licensing process for hunters to obtain a license to own and use a rifle or shotgun.

In practice, Japanese gun control enforcement is relatively weak. However, the population as a whole is relatively "gun averse" so even though you could get a personal weapon if you really wanted one and made the effort, most citizens have no desire (or choose not to try and obtain one).

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 11 May 2009 - 13:26

Wonder why.

Nachtsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 11 May 2009 - 14:09

Nachtsider wrote:Wonder why.

A low crime rate probably helps. And a low gun ownership ratio probably helps keep that rate low.

I also expect much of the country was effectively de-armed during the Allied Occupation and the population never felt the need to re-arm once they returned to self-government.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Mon 11 May 2009 - 20:20

Kiskaloo wrote:
Nachtsider wrote:Wonder why.

A low crime rate probably helps. And a low gun ownership ratio probably helps keep that rate low.

Low Crime rate?

From what I've heard and seen, the 'out in the open' crime rate is low. The cop presence on the street is minor in Hakone. Though I have to admit that most crimes are committed in a back alley.

Kiskaloo wrote:I also expect much of the country was effectively de-armed during the Allied Occupation and the population never felt the need to re-arm once they returned to self-government.
Some veterans still cherished their old service fire arm. Like Sora's great grandfather cherished his in secrecy. Though there is no more 8mm ammunition to go around, the old Nambu Type 14 service pistol still remains in her family as a keep sake.

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Forum Posts : 1956

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 11 May 2009 - 21:21

Most societies that have open carry what you like gun/weapons laws have low crime rates while those with strict gun control laws have high crime rates.

In Vermount, New Hampshire and Maine, where you can carry concealed anything you want, crime there is virtually non existant. Nobody wants to mug Granny if everyone knew that Granny was packing a .357, or any possible witnesses who do carry might come shooting in her aide.

In New York City- Crime is rampant. Dont believe the numbers that are being publlished saying that crime has been the lowest since 1965... it has not. I'll give the boys in blue (the police) their respect, but they do not act fast enough to deter crime, and when I volunteered in the Aux. Police Force, I often found myself in 10-13 situations (Officer In Need Of Emergency Assistance) where no officer came to my aide until "Things were safe to do so." The police here are scared. Period. I see it in their faces everyday and wish them the best of luck.

Despite the laws in other countries that ban guns from its citizenry, people are still getting killed by gun fire. "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will own them." In some cases, people in these countries are killed in higher rates that people in car/road accidents of that same country. If the police can not carry guns, then this adds to the outlaw's power.

I may look at the dark side of things, but I see it because it exists and I respect it for what it is. I wont let it coward me in fear, and I try to live a clean life as to the best of my ability. But some things ate damn difficult to do at times.

BTW- I dont advocate Gun Control. I do advocate Gun Education. With gun education, one can properly decide if guns are right for them, and if they ever become in contact with one, at least they know what to do. Just like one can with driver's education and cars. Due to the gun education from my mom, I have since age 6.

ElfenMagix

Forum Posts : 5682

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 11 May 2009 - 21:32

Well considering that you can live in New York and make a quick run up to New England to grab a gun and come back, I am not sure that's exactly strong empirical evidence that the more guns a community has, the less crime it experiences.

I'd be more interested to see how the crime rate of countries with strict(er) gun control laws like Japan, the United Kingdom and Canada have compared to countries with loose(r) gun control laws.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 11 May 2009 - 22:44

Kiskaloo wrote:Well considering that you can live in New York and make a quick run up to New England to grab a gun and come back, I am not sure that's exactly strong empirical evidence that the more guns a community has, the less crime it experiences.
This only works if guns are known or thought to be in the area. Crime in areas where guns are readily available are low, where places where guns are difficult to obtains have high crime rate regardless of owners secretly own and use them. Criminals are willing take such chances if they believe the chances are low in running into a gun owner.

Kiskaloo wrote:I'd be more interested to see how the crime rate of countries with strict(er) gun control laws like Japan, the United Kingdom and Canada have compared to countries with loose(r) gun control laws.
That would be difficult, because of the ratio of population. The USA has 190+M people and X% are registered gun owners. UK, Japan, others- their populations are smaller than the total sum of registered gun owners in the US. You would need to do some serious Ratio and Matrix Table Math to figure it out.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 12 May 2009 - 7:59

the 2002 murder rate for the US Per 100,000 people was 5.7,the UK murder rate was 2.03.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

http://danmark.wordpress.com/2006/07/01/last-comparison-of-crime-rates-between-nations-ever/

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/3231.html

the muder rate in the US is six times that of Japan and double that of the UK,so armed societies aren't always the safest,though i should point out you are more likely to get burgled in the UK though its not usually with violence
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Tue 12 May 2009 - 22:52

Awinnell wrote:the 2002 murder rate for the US Per 100,000 people was 5.7,the UK murder rate was 2.03.
1) Of these numbers, what are the numbers for guns as compared too a baseball bat, knife or running them over with your lorry? Those are the numbers we're looking for.

2) Assuming, that THESE numbers are for firearms... 2.03 per every 100K is high for a country that is supposed to have 0 guns.

Awinnell wrote:the muder rate in the US is six times that of Japan and double that of the UK,so armed societies aren't always the safest,though i should point out you are more likely to get burgled in the UK though its not usually with violence
The US has always had a Violent Past. But I dare you to compare with places like Mexico, and other nations in Central and South America.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Wed 13 May 2009 - 3:52

ElfenMagix wrote:
Assuming, that THESE numbers are for firearms... 2.03 per every 100K is high for a country that is supposed to have 0 guns.

Well you gotta remember that fire arms are often stolen from registered gun owners and are then used in crimes. Then there is also the case of a registered gun owner to be pushed past his limits to the extend that he would use his firearm on the source of irritation in his life which is the wife most of the time.

At least, that's the most common type of shooting that I heard of in Holland. Not much else going on concerning firearms.
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 13 May 2009 - 8:23

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):
"BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#111111 cellPadding=0 width=537]
HomicideSuicideOther (inc Accident)
USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
Switzerland (1998)0.50 5.8 0.10
Canada (2002)0.42.0 0.04
Finland (2003)0.354.450.10
Australia (2001)0.24 1.34 0.10
France (2001)0.213.4 0.49
England/Wales (2002)0.150.2 0.03
Scotland (2002) 0.06 0.20.02
Japan (2002) 0.020.040
I admit that the years are off a bit but thats the Government in questions fault !

gun nut thread - Page 8 Intern10
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Tue 26 May 2009 - 21:43

gun nut thread - Page 8 Dollimage4

What!?
Everyone wants a .50 cal BMG smg.

-someones signature
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1075

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 Tue 26 May 2009 - 22:56

First, in any chart you have to get the same time-frame, because the numbers change with the culture, and the culture changes by the year.

Second, what is the break-down of those figures? How reliable are they? Are they being skewed for political reasons? Are the same details being taken into account?

The FBI releases an annual report detailing a year's crime stats, and the details contained in it are the most accurate, as they differentiate between homicide, suicide, and recently have put more emphasis on defensive useage stats in regards to firearms.

I've looked over a lot of different "stats" in the past few years that I've been a hardcore gunnie, and a few things stick out that anyone looking between the reports (with a non-biased eye) will notice immediately:

1:Most of the reports (aside from the FBI) have a political slant, especially the ones from the VPC and Brady bunch. I'm sure the same thing goes on in other countries as well. This usually takes the form of considering a 23yr old gang-banger as being a 'minor' or 'kid'. A gang member, be it 12 or 50, that is gunned down by a rival gang while in colors, is not an innocent. ALso, the VPC has used odd calculations between sample years to get the data they want and then show the press. It has been proven by too many real journalists to be simply an error, but is an actual policy.

2:Inner Cities have more crime, and thus more gun crime. This is a cultural issue, not an availiability issue, as the UK has shown. When you ban things, they are still availiable, just harder to get. Black markets spring up, and a determined criminal is going to do what they want, despite the law. D.C. has a horrible gun-crime rate, despite their long-standing ban. The mayor coalition blames it on the gun shops, alleging that the 'good ol boys' are supplying. I'm sure there are a few that have, but the ATF keeps extremely close tabs on licensed dealers and just like the "US supplies assault weapons to Mexico" crap, it has been proven to be exponentially smaller a problem than Bloomberg and his posse say.

3:There is a lot more non-gun crime than gun crime. How often are people screaming to ban knives and ball-bats (in the US, UK has their own problems), because they are used more often than guns.

4:Most defensive deterrence using a firearm goes unreported. Thugs walk up with hostile intent, victim uncovers gun without drawing, thugs walk away. This happens many times daily in the US and is often not reported as an encounter as it should be. Obviously this doesn't get included in the data, the same as unreported rape does not.

Finally, 5: given the sheer number of guns in the US (80+million), obviously owned by a slightly smaller number of people... If every gun is a death waiting to happen, why aren't the numbers higher? The reason is because owning a gun does not turn you into a frothing killer. Only a small percentage of guns are used to kill people, and a good portion of those is defensively. More innocent people die in car accidents from drunken drivers, than in shootings. More kids drown in the tub or pool than total people are shot.

When you get right down to it, stats can say anything the writer wants them to say, given the right working. Again, I point to the FBI stats on crime as the best definitive source because they do their homework and have the best data set coming into them. Even then there is a disclaimer at the front of their reports saying that their numbers are not entirely representative because of reporting factors.

As far as the UK having fewer 'violent' home invasions and robberies... If you like it, go ahead and keep it, but I will never trust my life or that of others to someone who is willfully breaking the law for personal gain. If that makes me an evil person, so be it. But being helpless in the eyes of a criminal never got anyone a medal, saved a life, prevented the mental and physical scars from rape, or took a hardened in-and-out criminal off the street.
maverick375
maverick375

Male

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 Tue 26 May 2009 - 23:33

as an additional, given that the US has 37times more people and 38 times more guns (both in the millions), than Switzerland, I consider the additional 29545 deaths per year a relatively small number, especially since much of that is resulting from crime in cities where the population is exponentially higher than surrounding areas.

This is all assuming that the data above is not skewed like the UN reports tend to be, see:global warming.
maverick375
maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor Wed 27 May 2009 - 3:13

tsundere9kagami2 wrote:gun nut thread - Page 8 Dollimage4

What!?

-someones signature

Colt can make this for ya!

Evil
emperor
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1638

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 Wed 27 May 2009 - 3:20

Then there's the work stress factor. I never met many Europeans who work more than a 40 hour week. 50-60 hour weeks seems the norm among most middle class folks I know here (then there are those poor saps who pull 80+... not that I would know anything about that [/sarcasm])...
and shooting people is a great way to blow off steam Laughing
LoC978
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 27 May 2009 - 12:45

emperor wrote:
tsundere9kagami2 wrote:gun nut thread - Page 8 Dollimage4

What!?

-someones signature

Colt can make this for ya!

Evil

And it will jam with every other round. Call Armalite, they made the very first M-16's and they worked. Once Colt took over, 'make it cheap make 'em in bulk'.

As per the previous discussion I'm going to have to agree with Elfen. Another example to take nto account is Switzerland. Their gun laws are more than a bit liberal and it's not uncommon to see someone walking down the street with their service weapon in tow. Are you going to rob the grocery store if you see two guys walking in there with shouldered SiG 550's? I don't think so.

In fact most crimes involving firearms usually involve domestic violence in the case of service or civillian arms and illegally acquired arms for other acts of criminal activity...like a drive by in a Range Rover.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 27 May 2009 - 12:53

ok ,facts can be fudged, but how many people do you know who have been shot at ? (outside the police or military)
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Wed 27 May 2009 - 20:17

Awinnell wrote:ok ,facts can be fudged, but how many people do you know who have been shot at ? (outside the police or military)
In truth?
Including myself?
Over 200, and that is nearly everyone I know.
Deaths: >135 (about 10% being accidents or suicides.)
Wounded: >50 (about 5% being accidental. 1 = me, which is a long story that I wont say here)
Shot at and missed: >300 (including innocent bystanders.)

Understand that where I come from crime is high, and I'm one of the few that took my skills and talents not to allow this nieghborhood to drag me into a wooden box. But I have seen many friends and family die. But crimes involving knives, cars, deliberate drug overdoses (including poisoned drinks) and even window/roof pushes, they easily double, if not triple what mayhem I have seen with guns...

I wish my mom did not sell it, but back in the heydays of the 1970's she made an amour suit of mail made from the old fashion beer tabs... one for herself, one for me and one for my bro. She sold them for a pretty penny when we out grew them. She would have made more but the old fashion beer tab pulls changed to the crap shit that is on cans now.

Even today, at work where I work with kids and some of their parents, I still get threats of death and violence to be inflicted upon me. With the kids I tell them that I'll rip their arms off and beat them with the bloody stump. With the parents, I have told them to "Make sure that I am dead because I will pick your ass up and throw out the nearest window." Its gotten to a point that even the principal does not know if I'm kidding or not. I tell her, "When it comes to my life and and threats to it- I do not kid."

Funny... just the other day, I was threatened by the school's Parent Coordinator because of a disagreement we had. She stated that she would get her son "who is in the Bloods Gang" to get after me. Later that afternoon he arrived with a few friends. We stared at each other and shook hands and he and his friends walked away. His mom stopped him and asked about beating me up to scare me. His response to her was- "He's that crazy guy from ______ Houses. We dont mess with him or his family." They remember the day when one of them mugged my mom: Leon, my Bro and I went knocking on a few doors and handcuffed a few assholes to the lampost outside the building. Nevermind what we had for arms- the police looked at us and ran away.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 Wed 27 May 2009 - 23:00

Elfen, I can applaud your will to be different, even better, than the norm for the environment that surrounded you. I guess my question is this: What is is going to take to change those who choose to live the gang/welfare lives to a life that is truly productive? What was different in your life, what point did you decide not to follow the norm there?

I know it's an odd question, but sometimes I need a reminder that amidst the chaos and darkness there is the opportunity for order and light.
maverick375
maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 27 May 2009 - 23:09

Mythbusters tonight did a few myths with the Russian SKS rifle and a mega-powerful revolver (I am guessing something that shoots .500 S&W Magnum).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Wed 27 May 2009 - 23:55

Awinnell wrote:ok ,facts can be fudged, but how many people do you know who have been shot at ? (outside the police or military)

i can't count anymore, given i spent more than half my life hanging out in the hospital trauma ward, people found me creepy by then when i wouldn't flinch for the brutal stuff on TV
West Nile
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Fan of : Triela, Elsa, Enrica & Henrietta

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Thu 28 May 2009 - 0:19

in my case, none at all
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Thu 28 May 2009 - 0:44

so what is the reason for asking?
West Nile
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Original Characters : Lance Kane/Raphael, Ella, Mina & Brandon, Sophia & Wesley, Anica & Andrew, Rio de Sica, Marionette

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Thu 28 May 2009 - 9:23

just comparing the likelyhood of being shot at in an armed versus unarmed society
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 28 May 2009 - 13:20

There is still a scar on my ankle where a .22 took a piece of bone with it on a ricochet. I grew up an a small city where there are literally more firemen than there are police. With folks having to be their own police force, shit happened all the time and it wasn't uncommon to find a body walking to or from school. To be honest I find myself fortunate that I've only been hit once. I've been caught in the middle of crossfires and drive-by's so often that it's actually safer to get around through those dark, scary alleys most sane people wouldn't go near.

My grandma(father's mother) is always told how lucky she is that most of her men are still alive, but it wasn't luck. It was what my uncles Marco and Mario brought back from Korea and later them and my uncles David and Juan brought back from Vietnam. It helped us survive the warzone my hometown became when then Gov. Reagan(bastard) thought it would be an excellent idea to build max. security prisons near or very near small cities and towns.

Combined with what my Grandma(mother's mother) taught me, it helped me survive until I could get out. Today, there's no more family bullshit and the prison was downgraded about six or seven years ago to min. security; but the era left it's mark on the town. Today, you walk down the streets at any given time and it's like a ghost town. Thre's scarcly any work, and most of them are too scared to walk out of their doors anyway.

On that note, I can understand where Elfen's coming from. When in such an environment you have three choices. Leave from said environment, succumb to it, or become something more.

To quote my Grandma(mother's mother), "First you learn to survive, then you learn to live. Living is just surviving with a few luxuries added on."
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Thu 28 May 2009 - 14:19

I can understand where Boomer and Elfen are comming from.

I've been shot at more then once though, Thank god that good shots are a rarity in my old home town. Though a .38 would sometimes strike a lucky shot or just dumb luck because of ricochet.
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 28 May 2009 - 14:23

Ah the advantages of living in the High Rent District.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 28 May 2009 - 14:40

LOLZ, that reminds me of something my dad told me the other day.

"Son, you've moved out of Avenal; you make more in a month than I do in a year, and yet you still live in the fscking hood. What the hell is wrong with you?!"

I guess the old saying strikes true. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by West Nile Fri 29 May 2009 - 4:47

ow, yeah injury and death by gun is rather common here, specially with illegible gun laws, dirty police and stupid police who kill time by shooting their live rounds into the air. there's a reason why i ride bullet proof
West Nile
West Nile
WestNilepedia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sun 3 Apr 2011 - 1:01

Hey guys, what's the white gun called?

gun nut thread - Page 8 MysteryGun
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 3 Apr 2011 - 1:15

Looks like some kind of automatic shotgun.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkstar117 Sun 3 Apr 2011 - 2:11

It's a Monolith Arms P-12 Shotgun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_P-12
Darkstar117
Darkstar117

Male

Forum Posts : 72

Comments : King of Golf Ramp, Kandahar Airbase, Afghanistan.

Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sun 3 Apr 2011 - 17:08

Ah, right. I knew it was a shotgun of some kind, but had no idea of the make. Thanks!
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 11:44

rusty-spring and I used to joke that Kara and Laine followed the philosophy of "one magazine, one kill", so maybe this new hunting rifle will help in that regard. Razz
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 15:20

The British Army has opted to exchange its venerable old Browning Hi powers for the Glock 17,primarily due to it having a larger ammo capacity and being lighter
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 15:04

Also probably easier to shoot, I'd imagine. Though, I think one mag, one kill is kinda common IRL. People generally go pew pew until the gun goes click click.
John_234
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of :

Original Characters :

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Taking a break for a while.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 2:24

John_234 wrote:Also probably easier to shoot, I'd imagine. Though, I think one mag, one kill is kinda common IRL. People generally go pew pew until the gun goes click click.
Thats when they get shot by people who don't do that and conserve ammunition
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Forum Posts : 60

Fan of : Eastern-Bloc

Original Characters : Jun Yamashita/ Ursula Nelson

Comments : Hello!

Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 11:44

Awinnell wrote:The British Army has opted to exchange its venerable old Browning Hi powers for the Glock 17,primarily due to it having a larger ammo capacity and being lighter
As someone whom hails a little from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school, I do still quite enjoy that the Australian Defence Force's standard sidearm remains the Hi-Power... though I think our special forces are issued with HK USPs.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Fri 6 Sep 2013 - 20:34

Alfisti wrote:
Awinnell wrote:The British Army has opted to exchange its venerable old Browning Hi powers for the Glock 17,primarily due to it having a larger ammo capacity and being lighter
As someone whom hails a little from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school, I do still quite enjoy that the Australian Defence Force's standard sidearm remains the Hi-Power... though I think our special forces are issued with HK USPs.
Yeah, they use the USP. I can't remember what calibre though.
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 3:51

BleepinFireman wrote:
John_234 wrote:Also probably easier to shoot, I'd imagine. Though, I think one mag, one kill is kinda common IRL. People generally go pew pew until the gun goes click click.
Thats when they get shot by people who don't do that and conserve ammunition
Well, of course. But real life rarely works out perfectly. People move erratically, hits / misses aren't always apparent and bullets aren't reliable with their stopping power. Generally speaking, people fire what they have.

Alfisti wrote:
The BHP is a nice handgun, but IMO, it's probably not the most ergonomically ideal of handguns for general issue. It's really a bit of a secondary issue since handguns are small fry as far as logistics goes, but there is probably room for improvement over the BHP.

Three Dog wrote:
Alfisti wrote:
Yeah, they use the USP. I can't remember what calibre though.
If it's issued by a NATO nation it's probably a 9x19.
John_234
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of :

Original Characters :

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Taking a break for a while.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 5:45

https://plus.google.com/100792414712087671376/posts/ThLfBT5KXYG

This happened. Can someone explain what's happened? I'm confused.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 18:27

Well, Someone got really excited and like it says, put a Beta-C magazine on a Ukranian Vepr RPK
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 18:28

That's it? Also there was something about mods? I wasn't really following.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 18:43

Well That's basically it. The mods involved is a magazine conversion made by Definitive Arms. This allows the user to use an M-16 type magazine in an AK style rifle. This is somewhat cheaper for those who cannot afford tons and tons of 5.56x45mm versions of the AK magazine. Personally, me being an AK purist, I dislike this. But as a gun nut, I think this is a good conversion for those who are too lazy to procure AK mags in 5.56m
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 18:49

Oh. Okay then. Is this something that would be considered fairly common and generally applicable then? Or do most people not bother? Does such a modification cause any substantial changes to the weapon (though it seems like it wouldn't)?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 18:53

The Vepr in 5.56mm is made to take 5.56mm NATO (US .223), so converting to use M-16 Magazines wouldn't hurt the gun at all. This modification is fairly popular with people who have both AR-15 and AK type rifles. I would recommend this if you have clear access to AR magazines, or if you want a different look to your gun
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 19:28

So I live in the USA right now, and recently, I read things that a "minigun", which is a human portable version of the M61 Vulcan, is legal to own. Is that true and Why is it legal to own?
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 19:31

The Minigun isn't actually man portable, it's an emplacement weapon designed for vehicle mounting. 

That aside, the reason why it's legal is apparently because it went into production before some landmark gun law that prohibited full auto weapons of some kind. 

Not that this is all that useful, since it costs something like 500 dollars to fire for a minute? Something obscene.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 19:32

But for people living next to it, wouldnt it be scary knowing a guy owns a gun that can cut trees?
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 19:33

I mean, where you gonna get the ammo?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BleepinFireman Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 19:40

True
BleepinFireman
BleepinFireman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 27 Feb 2014 - 12:12

https://plus.google.com/100792414712087671376/posts/UkobMwCyX6c

I'm amused by this. That's all.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 19:26

Anybody know if it's at all safe to use civilian .308 Winchester in an M14 receiver? If this is not the case, can an M14 receiver be modified to accept a .308 winchester safely?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 Wed 26 Mar 2014 - 19:22

Shouldn't be a problem. Usually it's the other way that is an issue, i.e. using 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle. NATO ammo is based on higher pressures and looser tolerances than civi in general, and also the higher risk of an somewhat over-charged round among the mass of ammunition being fed. I'd have to go into my books for the exact specs, but a 5.56 might not chamber in a .223 that is bench-rest tight. I think the neck is just a tad too thick and can spike pressures. It WOULD chamber in a run of the mill .223 off the shelf. Possibly to dangerous effect over time or if the construction is sub-par. That's why I usually advise people getting a plinker to buy a 5.56 chambering.
In regards to the .308, it's virtually identical to the NATO spec, so it won't matter.
maverick375
maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content