Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime Collector Review

+7
SPARTAN 119
Godot
ElfenMagix
boomer_gonz
KodokuRyuu
Five_X
Ggultra2764
11 posters

Go down

Anime Collector Review Empty Anime Collector Review

Post by Ggultra2764 Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 18:53

This is a new series of reviews I plan on posting videos of on Youtube. Besides the obligatory series/movie review, I also review the English dub and features on the DVD(s). My first review's on Kiki's Delivery Service. Check it out here:

Also, check out my channel for a listing of titles from my collection that I will be willing to review.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Anime Collector Review Empty Re: Anime Collector Review

Post by Five_X Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 19:23

I've never really liked any of Miyazaki's movies. I don't understand why people enjoy them so much. Oh, well. Nothing can be enjoyed by everyone.

On another note, your voice sounds very... grumbly. Is this natural, or is it something a glass of water could fix?
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 19:25

Natural. Enough people have commented on it in my past videos. I can't help what genetics gave me. bang head
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 21:48

Ooh, do Jin-Roh! And of course GSG. If the sound of your voice bothers you, you can try altering it with audio editing software, though that could end up just making it worse...
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sat 13 Feb 2010 - 21:59

I'll consider doing GSG or Jin-Roh for the third review depending on what else I get for feedback (if I get any).
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 15:57

Just got the Video Girl Ai review up. You can check it out here.

Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 9:35

Have some time to kill before work so I just uploaded the Gunslinger Girl review I've been working on all week. I had to wind up dividing it into two parts since the video was over 12 minutes long. The first half offers up my thoughts of the series and the second half covers my thoughts of the English dub and DVD features. Check it out below and offer me your thoughts:

Don't forget, I am open to suggestions on what you would like for me to cover in a future review. Just click here to get a listing from my channel profile on Youtube for titles I have yet to review from my collection.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 11:53

I dare you...I freaking DARE YOU to review Puni Puni Poemy and Excel Saga.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 16:23

Seen Excel Saga. Makes FLCL look sane.

Puni Puni Poemi, I might watch if I don't have any witnesses considering the notorious rep of the series.

But I have neither one in my collection right now. I'm only taking suggestions for titles that are in my collection.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 18:33

Review Ponyo.... after taking a couple of tabs of LSD!
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 21:18

No interest in either the two.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 21:16

Review Now and Then, Here and There or Grave of the Fireflies. True masterpieces.
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 16:56

@Godot: I'll consider making a future review of any of those titles if more people request it. I've gotten enough single suggestions for titles to reviews.

I just uploaded my review on Serial Experiments Lain divided into two halves. My next review will be a title that Kodoku suggested and I have a special request for a review in April covered at the end of the second half. Check out my Lain review below.

Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Sun 14 Mar 2010 - 0:48

Yay! I got picked! dancin\\' Yay for dark series!

Nice review! Good

Of the three series you listed, Mononoke is definitely the most famous, so it might be a good one to review.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 14 Mar 2010 - 0:55

Good reviews, but is there anything you can do about that static noise in the background?
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sun 14 Mar 2010 - 12:36

@Kodoku: Considered.

@Godot: The background noise is from my laptop. It has a built-in microphone that I use to record the audio for my reviews. No way for me to get around it.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Sun 14 Mar 2010 - 16:22

Buy a ten dollar mic. Even a cheap external one will sound better than an integrated one. I've got a piece of junk mic that sounds fine and doesn't pick up a lot of static as long as I don't speak straight into it. It doesn't sound as nice as my brother's studio recording mics, but it works.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sat 20 Mar 2010 - 1:40

Presenting Kodoku's second title he wanted reviewed. Here's Jin-Roh, and with a new microphone. No more internal laptop mike.

I won't have my next review up for at least two weeks since what I'm gonna cover will take me long enough to watch through and do video ripping for from my DVDs. In the mean time, feel free to leave suggestions for what I should cover in a future review and for my Earth Day review.

Check the profile on my channel for titles in my collection I have yet to review.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Sun 21 Mar 2010 - 16:02

The sound is much better with the new mic! Good Your voice is only coming through my left earbud though... Might want to check the settings in your recording software. Wow, that's the best dub I've ever heard. Good review. Woot - Last Exile.
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Thu 1 Apr 2010 - 8:29

Just to give a quick update on my progress for the Last Exile review: I've gotten through the video ripping for the series and currently working on scripting for the audio part of the review. Real life's been putting a snag on my progress so I can't guarantee that I'll have the review out this upcoming weekend. I can guarantee though that I will have the review up sometime next week.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Tue 6 Apr 2010 - 19:06

Finally got the Last Exile video review done. I have it divided up into two parts. One covers my thoughts of the show. The other looks into my thoughts of the English dub and features on the discs. My set was released through Geneon before the company closed shop in America three years ago.

Click here for a listing of titles in my collection you want me to cover for a future review and post what you want at some point.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 17:01

Due to lack of viewers and losing interest as a result, I've chosen to put future episodes of my reviews on indefinite hold. If I get more demand, then I'll resume making more reviews.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 10:49

GG, I'm hijacking your thread to get something off my chest. You know how it goes though, being an Admin means never having to say sorry. (J/K Razz )

Anyway for while I was peeved forever and a day that my favorite American seiyu(I know, I know; we're supposed to call them mere voice actors/actresses, but damnitallanyway if seiyu just has a better ring to it) Amanda Winn Lee was NOT going to reprise her role as Rei Ayanami in the Rebuild of Evangelion series.

I was a bit peeved(okay I admit I was outright pissed) at this as I would've loved to see the awesome-3 (including Spike Spencer and his awesome yelling along with Tiffany Grant and her apparent RL bitchiness) once more.

However, heartbreaking news comes to my ears as seemingly the reason that Amanda Winn did not get the role is simply because she did not pursue it as I hear rumors through the grapevine of her pending retirement from voice acting. To be honest, this should be no surprise to me as the last anime title I remember seeing (or rather hearing sweat ) her in is the suprisingly enjoyable Dead Leaves and her appearence in Atlus's epic Trauma Team for the Wii as Maria Torres may be her swan song. If so I say goodbye with thanks in my heart and a tear in my eye.

SO...I need a new favorite English-dub seiyuu, any suggestions?
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 13:33

Hey, Rei's new VA is great. Also, this is pretty old news.

So, uh, Steven Blum would like more fans.
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 13:41

boomer_gonz wrote:SO...I need a new favorite English-dub seiyuu, any suggestions?

I listen to almost my anime in Japanese, but Mary Elizabeth MCGLYNN was awesome providing the voice for the Major in GiTS: SAC.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 15:05

Kiskaloo wrote:I listen to almost my anime in Japanese, but Mary Elizabeth MCGLYNN was awesome providing the voice for the Major in GiTS: SAC.
Her performance is half the reason I love the Major. Anime Collector Review Icon_razz

Also, Revy's English VA is pretty fun to listen to.
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 16:17

Old news, I know; but the retirement thing was something that hit me out of left field fairly recently. Only now am I truly coming to terms with it being a possible reality as I know that her and husband Jason Lee(not THAT Jason Lee) have been running their own dub studio for some a while now and that her son contracted leukemia some time ago. Now cancer free, but still I can understand how that will re-arrange someone's priorities.

As for Steven Blum, I am a huge fan of his work as Spike Speigel and Shiba(from Rave Master). Also to note he was awesome as Jamie from the heavily underrated Megas XLR. Excellent talent, but not necessarilly enough range to deem him a favorite though I am definitely a fan.

Also to mention in Megas XLR is an excellent performance by a per-Haruhi Wendee Lee. Although where Wendee Lee is concerned that wasn't necessarily her fault as shit tends to get exaggerated to a fault whenever Alex Von David directs ANYTHiNG. Prime examples include the Lucky Star dub and the Rozen Maiden dub. I thought I'd mention her considering someone might be bound to. Though it's her roles as Haruhi and Konota from Lucky Star that spoil it. Also she was in Power Rangers which immedietaly disqualifies her.

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn was excellent in Outlaw Star, Oh! My Goddess(or is it Ah!...w/e), and Sakura Wars; but still not memorable enough to deem her a favorite either.

Revy's seiyu was Maryke Hendrikse, but aside from her outstanding role as Revy, she's only been in a small handful of other roles few of them as memorable.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 18:42

Hey, Wendee Lee was great in Lucky Star! Also, Crispin Freeman is awesome. It's a semi-serious joke amongst my friends that Crispin Freeman has been in EVERYTHING.

As for range, Steve Blum was Leeron in Gurren Lagann and Guilmon in Digimon. The man has range, oh yes.

Check this out, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3hsdevGgwU
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 Mon 9 Aug 2010 - 19:26

While I certainly think Mary McGlynn made SAC stand out (even my friend's wife said she was better than the movie Major), I would have to toss in votes for Wendee Lee (look at her rap sheet at IMDB and find time that she took a breath since 2000). She was in Epsode 1 of Robotech even!

Then again, there is always Monica Rial. Brittany Karbowski certainly has a long career ahead of her.
maverick375
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 826

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by windfish55 Tue 10 Aug 2010 - 14:37

Five_X wrote:I've never really liked any of Miyazaki's movies. I don't understand why people enjoy them so much.
I like Miyazaki, but I think he's overrated. Nausicaa is pretty awesome, tho.
windfish55
windfish55

Male

Forum Posts : 145

Fan of : Shonen Knife

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down