Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer 2016 Anime Season

3 posters

Go down

Summer 2016 Anime Season Empty Summer 2016 Anime Season

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 8:47

As the Spring 2016 Anime Season wraps up, so must the Summer 2016 Anime Season start: 

http://anichart.net/summer
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Summer 2016 Anime Season Empty Re: Summer 2016 Anime Season

Post by Alfisti Sat 25 Jun 2016 - 20:16

Haven't had a full read yet, but Amanchu anime? Hell yes.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Sun 26 Jun 2016 - 21:37

NEW GAME! anime!! YES PLEASE!! <3 Very Happy
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 6 Jul 2016 - 12:49

Momokuri [Episodes 1 and 2]

Yuki Kurihara has finally been granted her wish of dating her crush Shinya Momotsuki, a.k.a. Momo. At first glance, she just looks like a normal but very cute girl. However, she is in fact a maniac over Momo, taking notes of his activities and never missing the chance to see him in a cute moment. Momo, on the other hand, is inexperienced in love, and just wants to make Yuki happy.

Played far more for comedy than romanticism, it’s not bad, but it’s nothing special. Ore Monogatari!! did it far better and that would be my recommendation over this show.

New Game!

Aoba Suzukaze graduates from high school and joins the Eaglejump game company. The person who made the game that Aoba loved as a grade-schooler just happens to be Aoba's senior at the company

This looks far more like your standard comedic slice-of-life show than a Shirobako-like view into how video games are produced. I find that somewhat unfortunate as rather than being something unique, this show looks to be something average. The main pluses are the cast is adorable and the OP theme is fantastic.

Orange

Naho Takamiya is a timid 16-year-old girl. One day, she receives a letter from her future self detailing actions she must take to prevent Kakeru Naruse, the new transfer student, from sinking into depression and taking his own life.

A strong opening episode. Very interested in following this one.

sweetness & lightning

Math teacher Kōhei Inuzuka is a widower with a young daughter named Tsumugi. Inuzuka isn't adept in the kitchen but with the help of his student Kotori Iida and his daughter, he embarks on a culinary adventure.

Strong hints of both Bunny Drop and Yotsuba&! make for a bond between me and this show every bit as strong as that between Kōhei and Tsumugi.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 12 Jul 2016 - 9:25; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 9 Jul 2016 - 11:15

91 Days

During the Prohibition era, in the Lawless district the law has no power, the mafia rule the streets, and the illegally made liquor flows freely. At one time Avilio lived in this district, but after a mafia dispute ended in the murder of his family, he went into hiding. Later, Avilio receives a letter from a mysterious person that ignites his passion for revenge and leads him to return to Lawless. There, he infiltrates the Vanetti family and gets close to Nero.

This season’s super-serious adult fare. Looks to be a winner.

Amanchu!

Hikari Kohinata is an overwhelmingly cheerful and outgoing 15-year-old girl who has spent all her life in a small and beautiful seaside town on the Izu peninsula. On the first day of high school, she meets Futaba Oki, a slightly introverted girl who has just moved from Tokyo. Before she knows it, Futaba gets dragged along into Hikari's passion for scuba diving. And from there, Futaba gradually starts to come out of her shell, and learns how to take challenges and dive into the ocean of life.

The latest project of Junichi Sato, you could consider it ARIA if it took place under the canals of Neo Venezia instead of on them. Seriously, while this is not an original work by Sato, his influence is very strong. It’s chibi to the point of ridiculousness, the female school uniforms are strongly influenced by the Gondolier’s outfits in ARIA and the school cat could easily pass for a Company President. 

I don’t know if it is the source material or if Sato is in a slump, but I found this first episode a bit of a slog to get through mainly due to the characters, which are normally a strong point with Sato’s works. Still, he is a master of iyashikei and I love iyashikei shows in general and Junichi Sato shows especially. So this one will be a must-watch for me by default.

Active Raid Season 2
Ended up enjoying the first season enough to see what the second has on offer.

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!
Found the first series to be delightfully hilarious so I have high hopes for this one.

Food Wars! The Second Plate

Really enjoyed the first series, so I am back for a second helping.

Planetarian

Yumemi Hoshino is a robot who was created to cheerfully serve as hostess at the rooftop planetarium of a department store, but she got left behind when the city was evacuated due to a biological weapon strike. Nearly 30 years later, she awakens from Sleep Mode to attend her first customer in a long time: a man known as a Junker who came to the planetarium in search of food, medicine, or weapons, while fleeing the anti-personnel tanks still protecting the empty city. Yumemi is completely unaware that the city has become a “sarcophagus city” and tries to take care of the Junker like business as usual.

One of my favorite Key visual novels (though not one helmed by the great Jun Maeda) I am so happy this show is getting an anime adaption. Due to the shortness of the original game, it will only be five episodes and I expect it will be as heart-breaking and heart-aching wonderful as the original game was.

This Art Club Has a Problem!

An art club in a certain middle school has the following members: Subaru Uchimaki, who is a genius at drawing faces, but only wants to draw the perfect 2D wife; Colette, a rich troublemaker who never stops making mischief; and the club president, who sleeps through sessions and collects sleeping aids. Mizuki Usami is the only person in the club who wants to do art club-like activities, and constantly struggles to do so.

On the surface, this looks like another standard “zany classroom comedy” show. Until you get to the second half of the episode, where it plays much straighter and serious. The production team really put some effort into this show and if future episodes follow the same two vignette format with a weak first half and strong(er) second half, it could prove to be a pleasant surprise.

Thunderbolt Fantasy

Set in an Eastern fantasy setting, Dān Fěi and her brother, guardians of a sword known as the Tian Xing Jiàn, are pursued by the evil Xuan Gui Zong clan, who seek to obtain the sword for their master, Miè Tian Hai. While her brother is defeated, Fei, who possesses the sword's guard, escapes and finds herself in the care of the wandering swordsman, Shāng Bù Huàn, and a mysterious man named Lǐn Xuě Yā, who become her protectors from the pusuing Xuan Gui Zong clan.

Gen Urobochi does Gerry Anderson. And it works.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 9 Jul 2016 - 20:28

Kiskaloo wrote:Amanchu!

Hikari Kohinata is an overwhelmingly cheerful and outgoing 15-year-old girl who has spent all her life in a small and beautiful seaside town on the Izu peninsula. On the first day of high school, she meets Futaba Oki, a slightly introverted girl who has just moved from Tokyo. Before she knows it, Futaba gets dragged along into Hikari's passion for scuba diving. And from there, Futaba gradually starts to come out of her shell, and learns how to take challenges and dive into the ocean of life.

The latest project of Junichi Sato, you could consider it ARIA if it took place under the canals of Neo Venezia instead of on them. Seriously, while this is not an original work by Sato, his influence is very strong. It’s chibi to the point of ridiculousness, the female school uniforms are strongly influenced by the Gondolier’s outfits in ARIA and the school cat could easily pass for a Company President. 

I don’t know if it is the source material or if Sato is in a slump, but I found this first episode a bit of a slog to get through mainly due to the characters, which are normally a strong point with Sato’s works. Still, he is a master of iyashikei and I love iyashikei shows in general and Junichi Sato shows especially. So this one will be a must-watch for me by default.
Well, there's good reason this bears a resemblance to ARIA: the manga is from exactly the same author. It was Kozue Amano's next project after she wrapped up ARIA.

Summer 2016 Anime Season 96a7956050358c509c8bb6ca87642d4f
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 9 Jul 2016 - 22:46

Alfisti wrote:Well, there's good reason this bears a resemblance to ARIA: the manga is from exactly the same author. It was Kozue Amano's next project after she wrapped up ARIA.

That explains that, then. I always assumed ARIA was an original work by Sato like One Off and Tamayura.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2016 - 7:59

Anyone know where I can get scanlations of Amanchu! as i saw it has scuba diving so I want to check it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 11 Jul 2016 - 16:07

crazyidiot78 wrote:Anyone know where I can get scanlations of Amanchu! as i saw it has scuba diving so I want to check it out.
I think I used to get it off'f Manga Fox. I'm out of town right now, but if you've not found it in the coming  few days I'll check when I get home.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2016 - 19:28

It's currently licensed so its not on Manga fox, but I found the scanlating site so I can download it from there.  I'm excited to see how it portrays scuba diving.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Jul 2016 - 6:07

crazyidiot78 wrote:It's currently licensed so its not on Manga fox, but I found the scanlating site so I can download it from there.  I'm excited to see how it portrays scuba diving.
I believe Amano is herself a diver, so I suspect she will do an at least reasonable job portraying it.

Actually, I get the distinct impression that she tends to write her manga about things she loves personally (last time Venice, this time diving, etc).
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jul 2016 - 7:47

awesome  cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 12 Jul 2016 - 9:33

ReLIFE - B+

Arata Kaizaki is an unemployed, single 27-year-old who has just been cut off from his parents' financial support. Unable to find a job due to him leaving his previous employer within three months, he is stuck. One night after drinking with a high school friend, Arata meets Ryō Yoake, a man who offers Arata pills to turn him back into a 17-year old so he can redo his life. After agreeing to the experiment, Arata joins a high school class, and meets Chizuru Hishiro, a socially-awkward silent beauty who yearns to have friends. Through connecting with her and other classmates, Arata must find what he lacks to live a happy life in the real world within a one-year time limit.

This show was released complete so I was able to marathon it. Overall, I liked it and it probably would have earned an "A", but two things held it back. One was injecting comedy into serious moments (though this show handled it much better than others) and a final episode plot decision that, while in the end I think was handled okay, injected retrograde complication into the entire storyline.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 23 Jul 2016 - 23:12; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 23 Jul 2016 - 21:07

Started watching New Game! It's light, and entertaining, so I'll probably keep with it...

It's also reminding me that my current monitor/tablet setup is over a decade old and is probably going to be up for replacement sometime in the near future. Once tax time is over it might be worth looking into that.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 14:27

I liked marathoning stuff last season so I am letting my queues grow a bit while I burn through 2007's Bokurano - which is quite good: think Evangelion if Gen Urobuchi had helmed it instead of Anno. Yikes!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 7 Aug 2016 - 0:41

Kiskaloo wrote:I liked marathoning stuff last season so I am letting my queues grow a bit while I burn through 2007's Bokurano - which is quite good: think Evangelion if Gen Urobuchi had helmed it instead of Anno. Yikes!

This turned out to be a solid show and well worth the investment to watch. An "A-" overall and a strong "A" for story. You'd probably love it, Taerkitty.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down