Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you became a handler...

+13
John_234
Hamster
Awinnell
MP5
Wingdking
Professor Voodoo
tremec6speed
Officer_Charon
Il Direttore
Kiskaloo
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika
boomer_gonz
Alfisti
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

If you became a handler... Empty If you became a handler...

Post by Alfisti Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 7:19

...what would you be driving/riding/whatever?

Perhaps more to the point: why would you choose that to drive/ride/whatever said vehicle(s)?

We already have one of these threads for weapons, so it might be fun to have one for vehicles as well... also because I was thinking about it today rather than, you know... concentrating on what I probably should have been. If you became a handler... 61015

As to what handler-Alfisti would be driving...
Spoiler:

So, lets hear it: what would handler-you be driving/riding/whatever; and why.

Last edited by Alfisti on Sun 10 Feb 2013 - 2:57; edited 4 times in total
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

If you became a handler... Empty Re: If you became a handler...

Post by boomer_gonz Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 7:32

Something that just screams..

CAPTAIN
CAAAAAAAAVEMAAAAAAAAN!
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 7:57

bummer...

Ferrari 458 Italia would be my choice

reason; it's like driving F1 race car n_n
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 11:08

First choice would be the Cadillac ELR:

If you became a handler... Cadillac_ELR_2014

1) It's a small coupe, so it at least has a chance of working in tight Italian cities.

2) It's a hybrid so on electric power it's silent (good for sneaking up on a location).

3) It's powerful (207hp / 295lb/ft) so it can scoot when it needs to.

4) It's sexy enough to look Italian (especially in black).

5) It's luxurious enough to look Italian.

http://www.desktopmachine.com/press/1952/Cadillac_ELR/

Option 2 would be the Citroën DS4 Racing Concept:

If you became a handler... Citroen_DS4_Racing_Concept_01
If you became a handler... Citroen_DS4_Racing_Concept_02

It's small, French and a hatchback which means it's cool.

http://www.desktopmachine.com/press/1558/Citroën_DS4_Racing_Concept/
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 11:17

Kiskaloo wrote:2) It's a hybrid so on electric power it's silent (good for sneaking up on a location).
Funny you should mention that: Danilo will shortly be swapping his Civic for a Lexus ct200h for that very reason (well, amongst others).

And the DS4 is nice. I had a nose around one (not the racing though) the other day. Looks cool, great interior and what I think I can honestly say are the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in:
If you became a handler... 2011-citroen-ds4-seats
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 16:15

Well, the thing for me is flexibility. Can I take a car into multiple settings and not get myself completely screwed because said car lacks the ability to do some critical job? To that end:

If you became a handler... Bmw_5510

The BMW 550i Gran Turismo. Yes, yes, a lot of people have a lot of different issues with it. But the fact of the matter is that this car, while less stylish and not as badass as the 328i, the Porche 911, etc., can do a ridiculous amount of things while still being fairly good looking, accelerate quickly, and corner effectively. The vehicle is designed to be comfortable to drive in or, given the need, wait around in while on location. And while many people consider the 550i GT to look very odd and peculiar, especially in comparison to the 328i, compared to many of the other cars in the market today, the Gran Turismo looks good enough for you to turn up outside a gentlemen's club, hand the valet your keys, and not have the maitre d' turn you away at the door. Should you be found out, the 550i's engine is strong enough that most pursuers will need to be in obtrusively large numbers to catch you and your surprisingly high cornering ability.

Yet simultaneously, the 550i GT can do a great deal of grunt work. The boot space is large and can be made larger by folding down the back seats, allowing you to haul a significant amount of gear around in a discrete manner. The back opens either in the standard car style or like a hatch back, again allowing for large amounts of storage and a convenient sitting place. Alternatively, open the back with the seats folded and lay down the passenger side chair for your cyborg to snipe from. The power of the V8 engine in the 550i allows for quick acceleration, yes, but it also grants you much torque, which can be very useful if your operation suddenly needs to tear down a small shed. An unrealistic consideration, perhaps, but having three or four different cars for several different jobs isn't good fiscal policy. Much better to get the one car that can perform admirably in a variety of places.

However, there is one thing that a 550i GT can NOT do, and that is conduct an operation in the countryside. Sure, it can go down a rural path easily enough, but targets have an annoying tendency to run off the path where you'll have to pursue them by foot. Or, you could just get one of these:
If you became a handler... Rubicon-zig-zag

I'm not sure there's really much to say other than: effectively indestructable. A Toyota Pickup is actually indestructable, but a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon comes pretty close. Given that a cyborg can shoot from a car fairly effectively, compared to the completely ineffective shooting from a human, and this car should allow me to go basically anywhere to run down my target.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 22:18

El Conservatore wrote:The BMW 550i Gran Turismo. Yes, yes, a lot of people have a lot of different issues with it.
I'm actually like the 5GT... a lot, and sometimes suspect the people who attack it for not being driver-focused enough have missed the point. The only thing that torpedoed it on my own set of priorities here was size.

Of course there was always the recently released 3GT, which was actually what started this whole line of thinking in the first place:
If you became a handler... BMW-3-GT-8--W

But... I dunno... maybe it looks better in the metal but the more pictures I saw the more top and tail heavy it looked: the "big-hatch" proportions just don't seem to have worked so well on the smaller 3-series, particularly with the lower front of the new model. Long story short: it was struck from the lineup for being ugly. If you became a handler... 61015
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 22:27

The only "four-door coupe" that works for me from an aesthetic basis is the original - the Mercedes CLS. Especially the current model. On Cloud 9
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 22:30

Kiskaloo wrote:The only "four-door coupe" that works for me from an aesthetic basis is the original - the Mercedes CLS. Especially the current model. If you became a handler... 923688
I'll admit: the styling trend has grown on me. I just wish people would stop trying to tell me it's a coupe; it's a big hatchback, get over it Razz
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 23:16

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:The BMW 550i Gran Turismo. Yes, yes, a lot of people have a lot of different issues with it.
I'm actually like the 5GT... a lot, and sometimes suspect the people who attack it for not being driver-focused enough have missed the point. The only thing that torpedoed it on my own set of priorities here was size.

Of course there was always the recently released 3GT, which was actually what started this whole line of thinking in the first place:
If you became a handler... BMW-3-GT-8--W

But... I dunno... maybe it looks better in the metal but the more pictures I saw the more top and tail heavy it looked: the "big-hatch" proportions just don't seem to have worked so well on the smaller 3-series, particularly with the lower front of the new model. Long story short: it was struck from the lineup for being ugly. If you became a handler... 61015

Yeah, I thought about the 3GT, but I couldn't bring myself to go for it without more info. And having seen a 328i in the metal, I KNOW that the bootspace is good, but not great in comparison to the 550i. Size IS an issue, but working in an (sub)urban environment, it seems like this wouldn't be that much of an issue unless you tried to outrun a Lamborghini Gallardo.

@Kisk:
I've not much experience in this field, to be honest. The Big-Hatch design isn't something you see a lot in the US. I will say, however, that the 328i blows everything I've seen out of the water, period. It looks fanTAStic, even in comparison to something ridiculous like a McLaren SLR:

If you became a handler... Mercedes-Benz_SLR-McLaren_722

If you became a handler... Bmw_3210

The McLaren is just like "SWOOOOOOOSH" and so exciting, but the 328i keeps it all together. The McLaren just blatantly declares that it will overtake you, but the BMW notes that it could and will eventually. It's got not to much flash, not to much understatement, and presents itself cleanly. Beautiful, but classy about it.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sun 10 Feb 2013 - 7:00

El Conservatore wrote:Size IS an issue, but working in an (sub)urban environment, it seems like this wouldn't be that much of an issue unless you tried to outrun a Lamborghini Gallardo.
To be honest, I'm not entirely certain what you're trying to say here If you became a handler... 61015. Is it that the 5GT's size would only become an issue if you were trying to run away from something small, fast and nimble? Because a Gallardo is fairly short, but it's the same width as a 5GT.

Just looking for clarification is all.

My thinking was more around being able to pull into tight alleyways to get away, or get closer to a target area/stay hidden whilst letting the cyborg out; though I guess you specced a sunroof... Wink

As I think/hope I alluded to before though: there's no right or wrong answer here; it's all about personal preference and what matters to you, how you'd want to run your fratello and how you'd go about balancing needs, wants and compromises in line with that.

My views in that respect are probably somewhat coloured by writing J+M with their "small loadout and make do" approach; so I'll sacrifice load carrying capacity, space and flexibility for a smaller form factor. Different strokes for different folks as it were... and roles, and views and approaches. That's why I asked for reasoning as well in the original post: because to be brutally honest its the reasoning and thought process here what interests me personally. The actual end result of that is almost a moot point. Razz
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 10 Feb 2013 - 14:51

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:Size IS an issue, but working in an (sub)urban environment, it seems like this wouldn't be that much of an issue unless you tried to outrun a Lamborghini Gallardo.
To be honest, I'm not entirely certain what you're trying to say here If you became a handler... 61015. Is it that the 5GT's size would only become an issue if you were trying to run away from something small, fast and nimble? Because a Gallardo is fairly short, but it's the same width as a 5GT.

Just looking for clarification is all.

My thinking was more around being able to pull into tight alleyways to get away, or get closer to a target area/stay hidden whilst letting the cyborg out; though I guess you specced a sunroof... Wink

As I think/hope I alluded to before though: there's no right or wrong answer here; it's all about personal preference and what matters to you, how you'd want to run your fratello and how you'd go about balancing needs, wants and compromises in line with that.

My views in that respect are probably somewhat coloured by writing J+M with their "small loadout and make do" approach; so I'll sacrifice load carrying capacity, space and flexibility for a smaller form factor. Different strokes for different folks as it were... and roles, and views and approaches. That's why I asked for reasoning as well in the original post: because to be brutally honest its the reasoning and thought process here what interests me personally. The actual end result of that is almost a moot point. Razz

Well, it was more along the lines of "Gallardos are stupidly fast due to bigger engines and lighter weights". I'm more of a "hide in plain sight" guy myself, so I'd rather disembark 100 feet away from the target and make my way too it than pull up less than 20 feet from it. Though now that I think about it, it's entirely possible that a Giulietta doesn't fit into an alleyway....

By the way, Alfi, any thoughts on the Mégane Renaultsport?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 10 Feb 2013 - 15:26

El Conservatore wrote:By the way, Alfi, any thoughts on the Mégane Renaultsport?

It tanked terribly in the marketplace, but the Renault Avantime would definitely have been on my short list during the time I believe the manga is set (2004-2005).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 10 Feb 2013 - 15:47

Kiskaloo wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:By the way, Alfi, any thoughts on the Mégane Renaultsport?

It tanked terribly in the marketplace, but the Renault Avantime would definitely have been on my short list during the time I believe the manga is set (2004-2005).

No disrespect meant, but...

...it looks like a small whale*.

*Disclaimer: Trolling you slightly. Calling it a small whale is a bit much, but I still don't like it that much from an aesthetic stand point.

Last edited by El Conservatore on Sun 10 Feb 2013 - 15:58; edited 1 time in total
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 6:41

El Conservatore wrote:I'm more of a "hide in plain sight" guy myself...
Oh you and me both: but in the same way you like the option of being able to carry more or different kit for flexibility, I like the option of being able to hare off down a narrow street.

That, and I also know from experience that I'm personally a much happier Alfisti in smaller vehicles, and as such tend to gravitate toward them. I find that for me the BMW 1-series coupe, Golf etc sizes seem to strike a nice balance between small size and having enough wheelbase to be pleasant on the highway. That said, I still consider the Alfetta GTV to be the perfect size for a pocket-GT car: though I doubt most of the right-minded population would agree with me (and as an SWA car it'd be useless: I'd never trust it to start, and when it did I'd want to sit around warming it up for five minutes... which could be a somewhat terminal undertaking as a handler; for me or someone I liked... or was at least ostensibly on the same side as).

By that I assume you're talking about the most recent RS265?
If you became a handler... Renaultsport-megane-265-trophy-01b

Big fan. The only reason I didn't look at its predecessor when I bought my current car was because it wasn't RWD; and there was no dealership nearby enough for curiosity to temper laziness and haste. I haven't had the chance to take a up-close squiz at one in the flesh, but they do look fantastic and, from everything I've read, are probably the bext hot hatch out on the market today... though it sounds like the new M135i may give it a run for its money (I'll admit to having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of a RWD hot hatch though).

That said: they do apparentlly have some rear-visibility issues (tempered by a reversing camera if it's specced) and that is a lot of power being extracted from a small engine... with the associated reliability and longevity worries that brings.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 18:39

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:I'm more of a "hide in plain sight" guy myself...
Oh you and me both: but in the same way you like the option of being able to carry more or different kit for flexibility, I like the option of being able to hare off down a narrow street.

That, and I also know from experience that I'm personally a much happier Alfisti in smaller vehicles, and as such tend to gravitate toward them. I find that for me the BMW 1-series coupe, Golf etc sizes seem to strike a nice balance between small size and having enough wheelbase to be pleasant on the highway. That said, I still consider the Alfetta GTV to be the perfect size for a pocket-GT car: though I doubt most of the right-minded population would agree with me (and as an SWA car it'd be useless: I'd never trust it to start, and when it did I'd want to sit around warming it up for five minutes... which could be a somewhat terminal undertaking as a handler; for me or someone I liked... or was at least ostensibly on the same side as).

By that I assume you're talking about the most recent RS265?
If you became a handler... Renaultsport-megane-265-trophy-01b

Big fan. The only reason I didn't look at its predecessor when I bought my current car was because it wasn't RWD; and there was no dealership nearby enough for curiosity to temper laziness and haste. I haven't had the chance to take a up-close squiz at one in the flesh, but they do look fantastic and, from everything I've read, are probably the bext hot hatch out on the market today... though it sounds like the new M135i may give it a run for its money (I'll admit to having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of a RWD hot hatch though).

That said: they do apparentlly have some rear-visibility issues (tempered by a reversing camera if it's specced) and that is a lot of power being extracted from a small engine... with the associated reliability and longevity worries that brings.

Hmmm.... should we assume that we have the support of the Government for any maintenance/repair/rehaul issues?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 22:30

El Conservatore wrote:Hmmm.... should we assume that we have the support of the Government for any maintenance/repair/rehaul issues?
Probably depends on whether you break it on work business or not. That said, I imagine the handlers' cars would be classed as work vehicles, so maintinence etc may be claimable. That said, considering some of the exotic metal some handlers drive, I think the better option for the SWA would be just to pay each man a vehicle allowance out of which buying, upkeep, maintinence and consumables etc are expected to be covered. If you want something more expensive than that will account for, then it's coming out of your own pocket. Repairs, as before, I would imagine then being a case of "were you on SWA business or not" (and no, driving back and forward to the compound doesn't cout) as to whether it comes out of the government's pocket or your own insurance.

I wasn't calling the Renault unreliable; but that's the sort of thing which weighs on my mind with all these small capacity/high output engines.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 22:48

After doing my homework, I'd probably have to emulate Elio, and rock out with a BMW M3 E90 in blue...

If you became a handler... 3797502949_6dab4ff15b_o

... assuming I could get a nice advance on that first paycheck, that is...
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 23:09

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:Hmmm.... should we assume that we have the support of the Government for any maintenance/repair/rehaul issues?
Probably depends on whether you break it on work business or not. That said, I imagine the handlers' cars would be classed as work vehicles, so maintinence etc may be claimable. That said, considering some of the exotic metal some handlers drive, I think the better option for the SWA would be just to pay each man a vehicle allowance out of which buying, upkeep, maintinence and consumables etc are expected to be covered. If you want something more expensive than that will account for, then it's coming out of your own pocket. Repairs, as before, I would imagine then being a case of "were you on SWA business or not" (and no, driving back and forward to the compound doesn't cout) as to whether it comes out of the government's pocket or your own insurance.

I wasn't calling the Renault unreliable; but that's the sort of thing which weighs on my mind with all these small capacity/high output engines.

Well say that in the pursuit of a target, you crash your car perpendicularly into his. That'd probably total the vehicle. Would you be covered for a new car?

Officer_Charon wrote:After doing my homework, I'd probably have to emulate Elio, and rock out with a BMW M3 E90 in blue...

If you became a handler... 3797502949_6dab4ff15b_o

... assuming I could get a nice advance on that first paycheck, that is...

So that's BMW and Volkeswagon now. Lot's of German cars in the mix...

Last edited by El Conservatore on Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 23:11; edited 1 time in total
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 23:32

El Conservatore wrote:Well say that in the pursuit of a target, you crash your car perpendicularly into his. That'd probably total the vehicle. Would you be covered for a new car?
It probably depends on how your own personal view of the SWA works... but for me personally the SWA isn't made out of money. Yes, it has a big budget, but it also has big expenses.

Were it me doing the beancounting though, it'd boil down to "depends on what you're driving". I imagine there'd be a dollar value cutoff point anything beyond which falls into the category of "well if you're silly enough to be driving something that expensive then it's your own lookout". In the same manner as the vehicle allowance I'd see you getting money up to that cutoff value, then anything more than that is your own problem.

"SWA personnel are not expected to gain or loose in the undertaking of their duties to the SWA.The SWA will support its personnel and cover resonable expenses incurred in the line of duty... but will not be held responsible or pay for its staff's own lunacy or lack of monatary sense."

El Conservatore wrote:
Officer_Charon wrote:After doing my homework, I'd probably have to emulate Elio, and rock out with a BMW M3 E90 in blue...

So that's BMW and Volkeswagon now. Lot's of German cars in the mix...
Probably because ze Germans seem to combine fast and practical so very well.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 23:33

Reliability, too.... honestly, I don't need a car with a zephyr trapped under the hood... decent handling and space are what I'm after...

If I thought it'd work out overseas, I'd stick with a Vic. *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 3:00

Officer_Charon wrote:Reliability, too.... honestly, I don't need a car with a zephyr trapped under the hood... decent handling and space are what I'm after...
Though I take it that, by the choice of an M3 over say, a 320d with the M handling package, if there's extra power on offer you're not exactly going to say "no". =P
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 11:04

El Conservatore wrote:Well say that in the pursuit of a target, you crash your car perpendicularly into his. That'd probably total the vehicle. Would you be covered for a new car?

Kara: "That's how we got the 458 Italia!" cheers
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 12:12

Kiskaloo wrote:

Kara: "That's how we got the 458 Italia!" cheers

James: "You crafty little bugger."
Caterina: "So if I were to, say, get my computer trashed by smashing it over the target's head....?"
James: "No."
Caterina: "Awww...."

---

On an unrelated note, I just realized that I'm short enough that any cyborg assigned to me would be about up to my chest at the shortest, and possibly level or taller than me at the tallest. Weird.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 17:08

El Conservatore wrote:On an unrelated note, I just realized that I'm short enough that any cyborg assigned to me would be about up to my chest at the shortest, and possibly level or taller than me at the tallest. Weird.
Well, if you get any say in cyborg candidates just make sure you pick a short one (or always wear Cuban heels)... unless of course you go in for that sort of thing Razz. At least having two smaller people means less luggage and more space for mission-related gear.

Out of curiosity: how tall?
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 17:11

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:On an unrelated note, I just realized that I'm short enough that any cyborg assigned to me would be about up to my chest at the shortest, and possibly level or taller than me at the tallest. Weird.
Well, if you get any say in cyborg candidates just make sure you pick a short one... unless of course you go in for that sort of thing Razz. At least having two smaller people means less luggage and more space for mission-related gear.

Out of curiosity: how tall?

Five feet, ten inches. I estimate most 12 year olds to be around 4'10" to 5'00", so I'd only be a head taller than a Gen. 1.

...dude, it'd be hilarious if I was just walking down the hall and the cyborgs mistook me for "the new kid".
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 17:20

El Conservatore wrote:Five feet, ten inches. I estimate most 12 year olds to be around 4'10" to 5'00", so I'd only be a head taller than a Gen. 1.

...dude, it'd be hilarious if I was just walking down the hall and the cyborgs mistook me for "the new kid".
Mate, you're an inch taller than I am (5'9") and amongst the people I know I'd consider myself pretty much bang on average (unfortunately my anthropometrics book is back in civilisation so I can't give an actual average). I sometimes really wonder if Americans are particularly tall because every now and then I do see heights I'd consider as perfectly normal being classified as "short". Eh, just an observation.

Ah well: that must means I can get into things like Super Sevens, Lotus Elises and MGB GTs with a minimum of bodily folding. Razz
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 17:22

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:Five feet, ten inches. I estimate most 12 year olds to be around 4'10" to 5'00", so I'd only be a head taller than a Gen. 1.

Mate, you're an inch taller than I am (5'9") and amongst the people I know I'd consider myself pretty much bang on average (unfortunately my anthropometrics book is back in civilisation so I can't give an actual average). I sometimes really wonder if Americans are particularly tall because every now and then I do see heights I'd consider as perfectly normal being classified as "short". Eh, just an observation.

Really?! I still think it's kinda hilarious that we're both within a foot of the average cyborg's height. Can you imagine having a conversation with a cyborg and have them not realize that you're not just a new attempt at a male model?

Ah well: that must means I can get into things like Super Sevens, Lotus Elises and MGB GTs with a minimum of bodily folding. Razz

The Exige is sexier.

If you became a handler... Lotus_11
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 20:38

Probably an AMC Eagle SX4.
However, I can only imagine I might get some comment from Lorenzo or Jean for picking a vehicle who's latest model was from '87.
Soooooo, if what I want is frowned upon,
(even though I would make a case stating that the vehicle would be modified for better handling and power and that parts are still available; in the States for the most part anyway)
if my choice is considered not suitable for what ever reason, I would accept what ever recommendations the Agency would pick out for me. Go figure

Last edited by tremec6speed on Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 23:06; edited 2 times in total
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 21:56

El Conservatore wrote:I still think it's kinda hilarious that we're both within a foot of the average cyborg's height. Can you imagine having a conversation with a cyborg and have them not realize that you're not just a new attempt at a male model?
Well, I guess Monty has caught it once or twice going the other way...

Actually, I do have a rough idea how it might go down... back when I was doing the cadets thing they ran an "Adventure South" tour; which was a run down from Brisbane to Canberra and back via Sydney to visit the Australian Defence Force Academy and a few RAAF bases. Anyway, I was a cadet corporal at the time, but the first part of it was a 16 hour coach ride south: in civvies. Most of the NCOs sat at the front, but I headed up the back with a few mates who'd not got the promotion and, since they knew me and many of the other kids there were from other squadrons and weren't aware of who I was, everyone talked freely. The penny only dropped when I walked out of the accomodation the next day with two hooks on my shoulder and a whole heap of cadets went white as they tried to remember what had been said.

tremec6speed wrote:if my choice is considered not suitable for what ever reason, I would accept what ever recommendations the Agency would pick out for me. If you became a handler... 389343
Ferro: Well then, a diesel Alfa Romeo 159 saloon it is; we already have a few in the motorpool so it'll make logistics easier.

Razz
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 22:14

Alfisti wrote:
Probably depends on whether you break it on work business or not. That said, I imagine the handlers' cars would be classed as work vehicles, so maintinence etc may be claimable.
There's something none of us have really considered when it comes to maintenance; security.

Robert Frazer's latest offering got me thinking about this last night. In his piece Elio drops off his BMW for service. Does that mean the local BMW shop has been vetted for security? How do we know there isn't a Padania agent in there...one who could install a tracking device, cameras or even a bomb?

This is probably not as big a concern with Michele's Ferrari's & Lamborghini's. They are accustomed to having high-end clients who may have enemies, so their factory technicians likely do have to go through a background check (at the very least).  But I doubt the local Fiat, Ford, BMW or Volkswagen garage in Rome looks that closely at their employees.    
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 22:23

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Alfisti wrote:
Probably depends on whether you break it on work business or not. That said, I imagine the handlers' cars would be classed as work vehicles, so maintinence etc may be claimable.
There's something none of us have really considered when it comes to maintenance; security.

Robert Frazer's latest offering got me thinking about this last night. In his piece Elio drops off his BMW for service. Does that mean the local BMW shop has been vetted for security? How do we know there isn't a Padania agent in there...one who could install a tracking device, cameras or even a bomb?

This is probably not as big a concern with Michele's Ferrari's & Lamborghini's. They are accustomed to having high-end clients who may have enemies, so their factory technicians likely do have to go through a background check (at the very least).  But I doubt the local Fiat, Ford, BMW or Volkswagen garage in Rome looks that closely at their employees.    

BMW isn't precisely cheap though, so I imagine that they'd have security and such to at least 30% that of what Ferrari or Lambo does. I agree that VW and Fiat would probably not spend that much time caring. On the other hand, wouldn't OpSec on the part of the handlers imply that they'd not reveal their identities, meaning that this BMW here belongs to some guy who owns a BMW, not to Elio Alboreto the SWA Agent?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 23:25

Professor Voodoo wrote:There's something none of us have really considered when it comes to maintenance; security.

This is probably not as big a concern with Michele's Ferrari's & Lamborghini's. They are accustomed to having high-end clients who may have enemies, so their factory technicians likely do have to go through a background check (at the very least). But I doubt the local Fiat, Ford, BMW or Volkswagen garage in Rome looks that closely at their employees.
I think per what El noted: the handlers as far as the dealership is concerned would most likely be just another BMW or Audi owner getting their car serviced (bullet holes may need to be done somewhere else). If things have reached the stage where the Padania are able to single out SWA handlers and staff then the organisation has some resonably serious security issues that need dealing with (hmm... sudden possibly idea where to take some of the Roman Holiday stuff).

I tend to look at it this way: the amount of specialist and manufacturer specific equipment required to maintain modern vehicles I really doubt the SWA could do all the maintinence inhouse; and the car makers don't exactly hand that stuff out to just anybody either. Like it or not, maintinence of the handlers' cars is probably going to have to be farmed out to the dealerships or local garages (and I'd imagine the SWA if it was reimbursing the cost would insist on the dealership... if only to maintain warranties). In that case I could see some background vetting going on, but otherwise it may just have to be a case of the vehicle being given a once over by the SWA once it is released.

Either way, I know I've always pictured Jethro's Audi being serviced by the dealer.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingdking Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 0:14

I would drive 1969 VW bus in lime green or my 69 harly Davidson or a army hummer and only stand 5 foot 7
Wingdking
Wingdking

Male

Forum Posts : 47

Fan of : Gsg

Original Characters : frank

Comments : N/a

Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 2:55

For me, I'm generally planning on buying used and maintaining the car myself (with some help from my cyborg). Shopping around has helped me find some rides I actually would like:

Candidates for Daily Driver
BMW M5 (E34)
Why: Because it was in Ronin, and also, I can just remove the badges and pretend it's just another well-worn 5-series. I also like older BMWs because I think they were proper 'Ultimate Driving Machines' when they weren't faking engine noise in the cabin. Also, delicious naturally-aspirated 3.8-liter straight six.

BMW 3-series (E30)
Why: In case the M5 is too big but I still want a 90's BMW with four doors and plenty of aftermarket support.

Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V
Why: I haven't heard this particular Italian car to be particularly notorious for breaking down. Also, Rally Heritage is a very cool thing, and it's a cool hot hatch and I want one very badly.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
Why: Same reason as the Delta, but it's Japanese, so it shouldn't break too easily, and if I do break it, there's tons of spare parts availability.

More stuff in a later post.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 5:26

MP5 wrote:For me, I'm generally planning on buying used and maintaining the car myself (with some help from my cyborg).
So... to ask the obvious question: what if your cyborg has precisely zero interest in cars?

...though I guess even if she doesn't like cars she'll like being around her handler and like working on cars because she's doing it with her handler.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 9:54

Alfisti wrote:
MP5 wrote:For me, I'm generally planning on buying used and maintaining the car myself (with some help from my cyborg).

So... to ask the obvious question: what if your cyborg has precisely zero interest in cars?

Just program them to like cars. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:06

Alfisti wrote:

...though I guess even if she doesn't like cars she'll like being around her handler and like working on cars because she's doing it with her handler.

I was gonna say... either she can use working on cars as private time with her handler and learn something useful in the process (possibly take a liking to it, perhaps?) or become a project car widow.
MP5
MP5

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:40

Alfisti wrote:
Professor Voodoo wrote:There's something none of us have really considered when it comes to maintenance; security.

This is probably not as big a concern with Michele's Ferrari's & Lamborghini's. They are accustomed to having high-end clients who may have enemies, so their factory technicians likely do have to go through a background check (at the very least). But I doubt the local Fiat, Ford, BMW or Volkswagen garage in Rome looks that closely at their employees.
I think per what El noted: the handlers as far as the dealership is concerned would most likely be just another BMW or Audi owner getting their car serviced (bullet holes may need to be done somewhere else). If things have reached the stage where the Padania are able to single out SWA handlers and staff then the organisation has some resonably serious security issues that need dealing with (hmm... sudden possibly idea where to take some of the Roman Holiday stuff).

I tend to look at it this way: the amount of specialist and manufacturer specific equipment required to maintain modern vehicles I really doubt the SWA could do all the maintinence inhouse; and the car makers don't exactly hand that stuff out to just anybody either. Like it or not, maintinence of the handlers' cars is probably going to have to be farmed out to the dealerships or local garages (and I'd imagine the SWA if it was reimbursing the cost would insist on the dealership... if only to maintain warranties). In that case I could see some background vetting going on, but otherwise it may just have to be a case of the vehicle being given a once over by the SWA once it is released.

Either way, I know I've always pictured Jethro's Audi being serviced by the dealer.
The only Top secret conection my family had was with G.C.H.Q,i can tell you that they do indeed have their own in house mechanics ,or did when my Grandfather worked there,my mothers car failed its inspection due to rusty sills,he took her car in and in perfect backroom boy logic they welded her car together with stainless steel sills,i imagine they lasted longer than the rest of the car did !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:45

So far I'm totally on board with the Phaeton, Alpha 159, Mégane Renaultsport, And the BMW M cars.

My criteria for the company car provided by the Agency would be:

1) Doesn't draw too much attention.
2) Reasonably quick.
3) Old Money

First choice would be a dark green Citroën SM.

Can you picture Henrietta stepping out of one of these holding her Amati Case?

If you became a handler... LDlSgpi

Last edited by Hamster on Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 15:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed pic)
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Forum Posts : 36

Fan of : Henrietta, Elsa

Original Characters : None

Comments : Second season didn't happen.

Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:49

Hamster wrote:So far I'm totally on board with the Phaeton, Alpha 159, Mégane Renaultsport, And the BMW M cars.

My criteria for the company car provided by the Agency would be:

1) Doesn't draw too much attention.
2) Reasonably quick.
3) Old Money

First choice would be a dark green Citroën SM.

Maybe with Elio masquerading as her grandfather, but Jose seems to young to pull off the look. Otherwise, it looks good.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 17:16

El Conservatore wrote:
Hamster wrote:First choice would be a dark green Citroën SM.

Maybe with Elio masquerading as her grandfather, but Jose seems to young to pull off the look. Otherwise, it looks good.

Swap Jean for Jose - as I recall, his cover in Florence was as a French pharmaceutical salesman. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 17:17

Hamster wrote:First choice would be a dark green Citroën SM.
El Conservatore wrote:Maybe with Elio masquerading as her grandfather, but Jose seems to young to pull off the look. Otherwise, it looks good.
I think taking both fratelli would actually be a good plan... actually, take MP5. That way there should be enough mechanical knowledge floating around that one can fix it whilst the other completes the mission Razz *ducks thrown objects*

Don't get me wrong: I'm 100% behind the Citroen SM idea, because I love that car and I would own one... except for the fact I don't think I could afford the upkeep and would have to trade the Alfetta in. However, if you're willing to accept the inevitable problems with running a car (and a French car at that) of that vintage: go for it.

Awinnell wrote:The only Top secret conection my family had was with G.C.H.Q,i can tell you that they do indeed have their own in house mechanics ,or did when my Grandfather worked there,my mothers car failed its inspection due to rusty sills,he took her car in and in perfect backroom boy logic they welded her car together with stainless steel sills,i imagine they lasted longer than the rest of the car did !
How long ago was that though? There was a time where all cars could be maintained with the same set of spanners. These days, since the introductin of complex computer systems (to continue the metaphor) not so much.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 2:39

Alfisti wrote:
Awinnell wrote:The only Top secret conection my family had was with G.C.H.Q,i can tell you that they do indeed have their own in house mechanics ,or did when my Grandfather worked there,my mothers car failed its inspection due to rusty sills,he took her car in and in perfect backroom boy logic they welded her car together with stainless steel sills,i imagine they lasted longer than the rest of the car did !
How long ago was that though? There was a time where all cars could be maintained with the same set of spanners. These days, since the introduction of complex computer systems (to continue the metaphor) not so much.
that was 40 years ago,and G.C.H.Q is rather good with computer stuff,truth is these days the gov/military usually keeps its cars for 3 years then changes them,thus avoiding most maintenance costs and before they have to get the vehicles inspected(in the UK at least you have to get a cars first M.O.T test after 3 years)
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 4:34

So, part 2 of my choices. A few more daily driver picks, and...some project ideas.

Daily Drivers

Mazda 6 MPS
Why: I had a chance to ride shotgun in the American version, the Mazdaspeed 6. This one I rode in particular had a Cobb Tuning remapped ECU. Boy howdy, these things are faaaast. Much like the M5, it's quite subtle externally, and only the badge tips you off to what lies underneath. 'Sleepy' cars are wonderful things, in my opinion.

Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
Why: This is my idea of an ideal hot hatch. It could only be made better if it were RWD. Imagine scooting around Rome in one of these!

And now, for the fun stuff.

Project Cars (AKA: Why did you buy this?)
This is a list of vehicles my cyborg and I would work on when we have the time and money. Naturally, I've decided on her name. The text is supposed to be a general idea of how the conversation explaining the purchase would go.

Subaru Forester 2.0XT Turbo
Spoiler:

Lancia Fulvia Montecarlo 1300 S

Spoiler:

Volvo 740 GL

Spoiler:

1974 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT 1800
Spoiler:

1970 Fiat 500
Spoiler:

Mazda MX-5/Eunos Roadster (NA)
Spoiler:

1988 Toyota MR2 (AW11)
Spoiler:
MP5
MP5

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 5:10

MP5 wrote:Project Cars (AKA: Why did you buy this?)
This is a list of vehicles my cyborg and I would work on when we have the time and money. Naturally, I've decided on her name. The text is supposed to be a general idea of how the conversation explaining the purchase would go.
You really are going to be the brokest handler in the entire organiseation aren't you? Razz
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 12:57

MP5 wrote:So, part 2 of my choices. A few more daily driver picks, and...some project ideas.

I'd just like to echo Alfisti on this one.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 14:30

Alfisti wrote:
MP5 wrote:Project Cars (AKA: Why did you buy this?)
You really are going to be the brokest handler in the entire organiseation aren't you? Razz

To clarify, these were not bought all at once. These would be different occasions, usually requiring me to flick one car to someone else when we're done mucking about with it and then using that money to buy the next project.

That said, yeah, I'm probably going to be one of the more broke handlers in the SWA.
MP5
MP5

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingdking Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 15:58

Is Harley-Davidson common in Italy ?
Wingdking
Wingdking

Male

Forum Posts : 47

Fan of : Gsg

Original Characters : frank

Comments : N/a

Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 16:16

Not terribly common, at least not the parts that I saw when I was living there.

Then again, it's been 12 years.... but I believe that Italy still prefers it's sport bikes to cruisers...
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum