Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter 2012 Anime

+11
Alfisti
Robert Frazer
0utf0xZer0
Piero
Awinnell
SPARTAN 119
Nuke is Good
Triela
MadHatChemist
Entropy
Kiskaloo
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winter 2012 Anime Empty Winter 2012 Anime

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 2 Dec 2011 - 12:01

The Winter 2012 Anime Lineup has been released.

Anime Chart

SHAFT is launching a sequel to Bake­monogatari called Nise­monogatari. I'm on record as generally not being a fan of modern SHAFT and I'm even less a fan of modern SHAFT sequels, but I'll give it a shot.

Definitely tuning in for Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2, as I really enjoyed the original.

And the title alone will have me watching the first episode of Mini Skirt Space Pirates. sweat

Alas, rather then being a touching story of a family member having to suddenly raise another's young child (ala Usagi Drop), after reading the synopsis and background of the creator of Listen to Me, Girls, I Am Your Father!, this one looks to be aimed at Pedobear. NO

Another, on the other hand, looks like it could be interesting.

When I have 20 minutes to kill and no brain cells to dedicate to comprehending what I am watching, I tend to find one-note 4-koma's like Kill Me Baby to fit the bill.

Aquar­ion EVOL - The original show evidently sucked dog-water, but this production has a superstar lineup (it brings to the table the director of Macross Frontier and the music of Yoko Kanno and a number of solid writers) so let's hope this one is to Aquarion what Macross Frontier was to Macross - a quantum leap forward.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Winter 2012 Anime Empty Re: Winter 2012 Anime

Post by Entropy Fri 2 Dec 2011 - 13:06

I'll probably check out Kyousogiga simply because it's the first one to come out and I'm not watching much this current season.

Recorder to Randoseru could be interesting.

Kimi to Boku wasn't horrible this season so I might give this season's "Daily Life of High School Boys" a chance.

Black Rock Shooter doesn't have much information around it, but neither did Mawaru Penguindrum before it came out, and that's my favorite anime right now.

It confused me when someone said they were going to cut down Nichijou and put it on an educational TV channel, should be interesting to see exactly how they play that.

Kill Me Baby could be interesting, but JC Staff tends to screw these things up.

Nisemongatari is a must-watch for me.

The Yuri Seijin Naoko-san OVA caught my eye, it's a long-running bizarre series with a pretty loyal fanbase in Japan, but could never manage to get a full anime series. They had about a 5 minute OVA last year and now it looks like they're going to do longer full episodes, which could be a precursor to doing a full season.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Sat 17 Dec 2011 - 0:12

Overall the winter season seems a bit sparse.

Stuff I'm looking forward to:

Lupin III
-- Can't go wrong with Lupin

Kill Me Baby -- I liked the 4-koma stories, and I hope the series pulls off the transition well.

Another -- Looks potentially interesting. Creepy and mysterious are great if they pull it off, and this show looks potentially promising.

lack Rock Shooter -- I didn't care for the way they spliced the two storylines of the OVA, but the actual BRS action scenes were excellent.

Stuff that I'll watch a few episodes of, at least:

Recorder to Ranoseru -- It has potential for decent humor if done right, though this show could be an idiotic Moe-fest. I'll watch a few episodes to see if it can escape it.

Kyousogiga -- Another show which could be good, but may very well not be. The entire "barriers between worlds disappearing" could be interesting, though it is all too easy for this to fall on its face. Again, I'll watch a few episodes to check it out.

Mouretsu Pirates -- The premise seems silly, but there is an off-chance it could turn out interesting.

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! -- I was hoping this would be more along the lines of "Usagi Drop," but if it gets too messed up I'll drop it like something that gets dropped. Sometimes things can get to bad they are funny (Mitsudomoe is a good example of this), but that doesn't happen often

OVAs:

Pretty much continuations of series I liked: Morita-san we Mukuchi, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee: Yune & Alice, Mirai Nikki, Usagi Drop
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 10:39

The first show of the season, Kill Me Baby, has arrived and to quote Captain Picard: "Not, I think, today."

The worst OP I have ever heard (and I have heard thousands). Lame animation. The voice for Sonya is terrible. And for a show based on a 4-koma, it has absolutely no comic timing.

So that's one show off the list. Smile

Thankfully, the second show of the season kicked off - Tantei Opera Milky Holmes II. I loved the original (and the OAV) and this looks to have picked up right where the first series left off. The new OP is also very good.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 13:48

AI NO KUSABI!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

I THOUGHT THE REMAKE WAS CANCELED!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter 2012 Anime Tumblr_lwse0zxG2J1r8ccrao1_250
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuke is Good Sat 7 Jan 2012 - 16:56

Looking at that chart a 2nd time and only two of those entries catch my attention.

Gundam SEED HD Remastered: So now I can see Jesus Yamato destroy people in HD. However watching SEED was quite a drag.

I'm curious on how the new Kenshin will be, Studio DEEN is doing it and their quality can be hit or miss.
Nuke is Good
Nuke is Good

Male

Forum Posts : 326

Fan of : Henrietta

Original Characters : Rc v1

Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 8 Jan 2012 - 14:14

My thoughts on this season's anime:

Kill Me Baby: Seems a bit like Nichijou, It was OK... but FAR from living up to the standards of Azumanga. And I'd agree with Kisk about the OP.

Busou Chuugakusei Basketarmy: Not subbed, which is a pain in the ass (but for some reason its subbed in Russian). But from what I could gather, a group of teenagers at some "Defense Academy" have somehow ended up fighting the military forces of.... someone. Also, how did that girl manage to get a hold of Walther WA-2000, considering less than 200 were ever made? I'm guessing she found it in same place the Russians in Modern Warfare 2 found them.

Zero No Tsukaima F: Rie Kugimiya must be busy this year with this and Shana III. Either way, once again, Louise has made me wonder why the male lead always goes for the tsundere when there are clearly much more likable options available. Also, Hopefully Saito will hurry up and get back to shooting down dragons in Zero fighter and blasting golems with an M72 LAW, because that's only reason I watched the last three seasons.

SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 9 Jan 2012 - 10:26

lots of robot piloting shows again,don't they ever get tired of those?
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 9 Jan 2012 - 22:42

And the next wave of shows have hit...

Have to say this is a lame season in terms of music. I'll be saving a mint on iTunes purchases. Smile

Ano Natsu de Matteru - The most interesting show, so far.

Another - Didn't grab me, but then these supernatural shows can take a few episodes to spin up.

Aquarion EVOL - A double-length opening episode. I assume not seeing the original won't matter and they'll explain anything I need to know.

Mouretsu Pirates - A cast this cute pretty much compels me to watch, but it was also funny, the girls have believable breasts and they went out of their way not to show panties, so that's also pluses.

Nisemonogatari - As weird as Bakemonogatari.

Rinne no Lagrange - Kind of reminded me of Rideback, but at a much higher tech-level. And I expect it won't approach Rideback's level of awesome.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - It's like Macross Frontier. Except not in space. And not as good.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 1:28

I've watched a bunch of stuff thus far, some of it on my own and some with my usual anime watching crew:

Amagami SS+: Kind of sucks so far. When do we get to Haruka's arc? (For those not in the know, Amagami SS is a dating sim adaptation that does individual alternate continuites for each possible love interest. This makes how good each arc is heavily dependent on which girl is being focused on, though in this case there may be more to my disatisfaction then that.)
Ano Matsu de Matteru: Seems kind of cliched.
Aquarion Evol: This looks fantastic, but I'm not big on the male and female leads and while I realise a romance being played out between reincarnations of three people every 12,000 years is a core part of the franchise, I still found the handling of the romance aspect rather cringeworthy. Kind of disappointing for a collaboration between Shoji Kawamori and Mari Okada but then I've found they can both be rather hit and miss. Hopefully it will improve.
Bodacious Space Pirates: Kind of has an "old school space opera" thing going on. It's not entirely clear where the show is going but I like what I've seen so far. My biggest concern is probably the fact that so many students from the main heroine's all girls school are present in the OP. They could ruin what the show has managed to establish so far.
High School DxD: Proof positive that fan service extravaganzas are still being made. Also, just how pathetic does a guy need to be to NOT be able to get a girlfriend after going to a formerly all girls school where the population is still overwhelmingly female?
Nisemonogatari: Lots of dialogue and random stuff, little coherency. It's a SHAFT show, after all. Although I did kind of like the observation that you can make just about anything action sound positive if you add in something about the courage to do it. Do you have the courage to do something horrible? Razz
Rinne no Lagrange: It's very pretty and I like the lead character. On the way the mecha aspect played out seemed rather typical. Mamiko Noto playing a bullying onee-chan was kind of funny though. Winter 2012 Anime 684325

My top pick at the moment is probably Bodacious Space Pirates. There's some others like Rinne no Lagrange and Aquarion Evol that I'll probably check out as well.

Anyone feeling like there's a bit of a "throwback/pld school" vibe to some of the shows this season (Bodacious Space Pirates, Rinne no Lagrange, Ano Matsu)? Even if these aren't necessarily the greatest shows ever I'm find it kind of refreshing.

Should discussion of the latest episode of Fam, The Silver Wing go here or in the thread for alst season? The show started last season but is continuing in this one.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 3:55

The Daily Lives of High School Boys = best comedy of the season.

Also loving Nisemonogatari, Aquarion EVOL (Mari Okada writes a big budget mecha involving "union" between male and female pilots - enough said).

Another, Ano Matsu no Matteru, Bodaxious Space Pirate and Recorder to Randsell have been pretty good too.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 8:35

Piero wrote:Should discussion of the latest episode of Fam, The Silver Wing go here or in the thread for alst season? The show started last season but is continuing in this one.

I normally discuss shows in the season they launched, even if they end in the current season. Which reminds me I need to comment on this week's episode. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 12 Jan 2012 - 1:50

Daily Lives of High School Boys: Well the art's not exactly the greatest and some of the humour is kind of gross, but the first episode of this show is a freaking riot. It actually reminds me quite a bit of one of my early favorite anime series, School Rumble (though there are some significant differences, such as the use of an all boys school rather than a co-ed one).
Brave 10: Is it bad if I found something this shounen to be quite entertaining? Laughing I really liked the first meeting between the male and female leads ("Are you being chased?" "Yes!" *Turns and walks away.* "H-hey! Wait a minute! You're not going to help me?") I'm not too sure how I'm going to like where the show is going but I might give it a chance.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Thu 12 Jan 2012 - 3:52

Daily Lives of High School Boys shares a director with School Rumble's first season.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 13 Jan 2012 - 13:43

Inu × Boku SS - A bit too over the top for me.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 20:05

Kill Me Baby (eps 1-2) -- A fairly amusing show. Not the greatest 4-koma adaptation, but not particularly horrible either. It's a nice "relax at end of day" show.

Another (Ep 1) -- A nice dark and spooky mood, this show has potential so far. While the setting has been done before, the story has potential. I hope it'll live up to it.

Recorder to Ranoseru (Eps 1-2) -
A short 3 minute episode show, it is set in the same universe as "Morita is taciturn" (AKA the "Morita-verse"), the show has been amusing enough and is saved by its shortness. Honestly, though, the fact that the 11-year old boy, who looks like an adult, is able to get grown women going after him makes him the luckiest boy the world

Bodacious Space Pirates (Ep. 1) -- The first episode was the introductory one, though I am a little bit wary of the was they "told" rather then "showed" in setting up the characters/scenes.

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! (Ep. 1-2) -- Not as perverted (yet) and I feared. The off-beat female classmate/potential love interest of the protaganist is enough to get me watch a couple more episodes

Thermae Romae (Eps 1-2) -- Ancient Roman visits modern Japanese bathhouses. Weird and simply animated...but it works.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 12:34

SPARTAN 119 wrote:
Busou Chuugakusei Basketarmy: Not subbed, which is a pain in the ass (but for some reason its subbed in Russian).

I can't even find raws, much less subs, on TokyoTosho. As nobody appears interested in subbing it, it is dropped by default.

MadHatChemist wrote:
Recorder to Ranoseru (Eps 1-2) -
A short 3 minute episode show, it is set in the same universe as "Morita is taciturn" (AKA the "Morita-verse"), the show has been amusing enough and is saved by its shortness. Honestly, though, the fact that the 11-year old boy, who looks like an adult, is able to get grown women going after him makes him the luckiest boy the world.

They chose well by going with a three-minute episode length and doing two comics per episode. If they'd tried to do a number of comics per episode like Nichijou did, it would not have held up for me. But since I can watch an episode during a commercial break, I'll keep with it even though I don't find it all that interesting to date. Smile

Piero wrote:

Based on the two episodes so far, I agree it looks like it will not be breaking any new roads. But the road it looks to be traveling is one I tend to find enjoyable so I will stick with it for now.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 22 Jan 2012 - 9:10

Busou Chuugakusei Basketarmy

So someone (Migoto) did finally sub this and...

...it's Guilty Crown without the science-fiction element.

Yes, I'm serious.

Japan's been invaded (again) and a group of middle school students are now ad-hoc soldiers, fighting an as yet-unknown professional army to protect "the future of Japan", which evidently fits in a box.

I might just drop it again on the premise, but it looks like the show streams one 5 minute episode a month so it is not asking much of my time and effort...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 22 Jan 2012 - 17:53

Kiskaloo wrote:Busou Chuugakusei Basketarmy

So someone (Migoto) did finally sub this and...

...it's Guilty Crown without the science-fiction element.

Yes, I'm serious.

Japan's been invaded (again) and a group of middle school students are now ad-hoc soldiers, fighting an as yet-unknown professional army to protect "the future of Japan", which evidently fits in a box.

I might just drop it again on the premise, but it looks like the show streams one 5 minute episode a month so it is not asking much of my time and effort...

Watching it again, I have the same opinion as one of the "unknown enemy" soldiers: "Why are they using children?"

Admittedly, children were involved in resistance movements in World War II, but at least in that case, there were also adult members of the resistance. Adult members of the resistance make an appearance in Guilty Crown, why not this too.

That and the aforementioned nitpicks with the weaponry, it was OK. I will probably keep watching, if only because of the short duration.

SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 1:58

Kiskaloo wrote:
Piero wrote:

Based on the two episodes so far, I agree it looks like it will not be breaking any new roads. But the road it looks to be traveling is one I tend to find enjoyable so I will stick with it for now.

While there were quite a number of factors that contributed to my impression of the show, I think it was the ending to the first episode that really left a negative impact. Not only did I feel like I'd seen similar things many times before, but it was really easy to see it coming. Having characters walk in on other characters in compromising positions can be funny, but like most forms of risque humor it can backfire if not handled well.

Best thing about the show in my opinion would be the third year girl played by Yukari Tamura. That girl is evil.

Anyhow, an update This show seems to be quite slow paced following its first episode, but it may be a case where slow and steady pays off in the long term. It's doing a good job of establishing its setting and Marika is getting a chance to develop

Aquarion Evol: Episode four did a lot to win me over after some of the issues I had earlier on. Mikono seems to be rapidly outgrowing that horrid "I'm useless" attitude of hers that I found so offputting, and her over brother (who I think bears quite a bit of the responsibility for her being like that) didn't seem as bad this time around. The mecha action in Episode 4 was pretty sweet as well, although you'll need to have a tolerance for goofy super robot stuff to appreciate some of it.
Bodacious Space Pirates: This show seems to be quite slow paced following its first episode, but
I'm still finding it quite enjoyable. There's some nice attention to technical and scientific details in here (although the electronic warfare stuff seemed confusing and nonsensical, and the space suits probably ought to have had safety lines or something). As some other viewers have noted elsewhere there's also some good character development payoff in exchange for the pacing. Marika is starting to pick up things she's going to need to be an effective space pirate captain later, and Kane is also showing himself to be an effective teacher and mentor rather than just a happy go lucky helmsman. One does have to wonder about these high school girls wearing skirts in zero-g though.
Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!: A good way to describe this show might be to say that it suffers from a
split personality. I'd heard it claimed that this was a touching show
about family, and it actually did seem like that for quite a bit of the
second episode. On the other hand the first episode was pretty weird and
perverse and frankly kind of awful at times. Also, the second episode suffers from mood whiplash with it end of episode plot development.
Symphogear: I'd heard this show had a very short planning stage compared to most anime series. It's very fast paced and jumps around quite a bit. It's actually pretty entertaining though.

Satelight seems to be putting in a pretty strong showing this season. Aquarion Evol, Bodacious Space Pirates, and Symphogear are among the shows I look forward to watching each week.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 9:24

With the loss of the DDL sites, I don't feel the desire to torrent everything, so I am down to just four shows this season:

Ano Natsu de Matteru
Busou Chuugakusei: Basket Army
Mouretsu [Bodacious] Space Pirates
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2

Plus Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing- from last season.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 13:28

I know that Letters of Marque were once used to license privateers, but I resent their inclusion in The Boadacious Space Pirates - it's there so that our heroine can become a plundering rogue while still being a "legal" goodie, and it feels like a cop-out - it would be more interesting for her to start drifting towards her heritage even despite society's objections.

Also, considering that her café was shot up in a multi-direction gunfight, to just have a sandwich board marked "temporarily closed" left on the pavement is awfully neat!
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Tue 31 Jan 2012 - 5:15

Kill Me Baby (eps 3-4) -- It is light and amusing enough. The type of show you watch at the end of the day as your brain turns off.

Another
(Ep 2-3) -- That twitch! Winter 2012 Anime 249988 I hope this show can strike that perfect balance between creepy abiance and mind-warping violence

Recorder to Ranoseru (Eps 3-4) - Being so short, they have been humerous without wearing out their welcome. I shall repeat that that 11yo boy who could bag a hot adult woman is the luckies boy alive...

Bodacious Space Pirates
(Ep. 2-4) -- Slow start, but it helps to give us a better feel for the characters. Nothing outstanding yet, but enough to get me to keep on watching.

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! (Ep. 3) -- This show tries to stradle the line between "Usagi Drop" style stories and lolicon. So far it isn't doing eithr partiuclarly well. I'll give it a few more episode at most if we don't see any good change.

Thermae Romae (Eps 3-6) -- A little bit shorter of an episode and it would be perfect. I love story setting and plot and the reaction of the ancient Roman to modern Japan is actually believable.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 6 Feb 2012 - 0:09

For a girl who didn't come across as being too brainy in the first episode, Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates is shaping up to be quite an adept strategist. She should give Sinon Kouzuki from Starship Operators a call.

And on a related note, the guys who tried to take over the Odette II are going to be the laughingstock of whatever prison they end up in. "Hey buddy, what are you in for?" "We tried to steal a ship from a bunch of high school girls and they totally screwed us over." Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 9 Feb 2012 - 2:07

I thought Symphogear had too much class to engage in yuri S&M fan service. Guess I was wrong on that account.

On the other hand Rinne no Lagrange is proving to be surprisingly good. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's kind of funny since there aren't that many things I can say make it really stand out that much. But perhaps being unassuming is actually one of this show's strengths?

Daily Lives of High School Boys is a bit hit and miss with its shorts but overall it's proving to be pretty darn funny. There's a "true to life" feel to some of what goes on in this show. Also there are actually girls in the show... they're just not the sort of idealised high school girls that show up in a lot of other anime. Winter 2012 Anime 684325 Although the show may have gone a bit far with the ending segments with the group of girls who complain about how the boys are preventing them from cashing in on the popularity of shows featuring high school girls. Sometimes it pays to show some subtlety in your criticism of current trends lest you yourself come across as being kind of butthurt.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 6:30

Not exactly winter 2012, but there's nowhere else to put this. I just finished watching the first season of The Big O. Basic thoughts: World building was a bit thin, but full marks for style, and R. Dorothy has pretty much landed directly as one of my favorite anime heroines. The back and forth between her and Roger has to be the highlight of the show for me.

Also, more mech pilots should do the piloting in suits.

Winter 2012 Anime BigO

Now I need to get the second season, because throwing a cliffhanger out at the end of a season is just not cool.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 8:42

I loved The Big O and it's sequel. I also do wish they explained more of what happened to the world, but in the end, the show stood strongly enough on it's people and plots that I let it slide.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 6:38

Kiskaloo wrote:I loved The Big O and it's sequel. I also do wish they explained more of what happened to the world, but in the end, the show stood strongly enough on it's people and plots that I let it slide.
Yeah, I think from what I've seen so far the character's are definately the strongest part of the show. Will need to see the second season before passing judgement on the plot.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 3:12

It may not have had the best first few episodes ever, but Rinne no Lagrange has now established itself as one of my top three favorite shows of the season. It's got some really good characters and a surprising amount of depth. Muginami was a bit of a surprise -she initially came across as an overly busty airhead but turned out to be a lot smarter than she let on. Villagiulio is an interesting new antagonist (with awesome fashion sense regardless of what Madoka may say), and it was nice to see that Madoka isn't always in the right just because she's the main character. Also Lan and Muginami are lethally cute in flashback scenes.

It's interesting to note that this show shares the same director as Bodacious Space Pirates. I may want to keep an eye out for his stuff in the future.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 23:45

I've decided to marathon one show at a time, so first up was episodes 2 through 8 of Bodacious Space Pirates.

I really enjoy this show.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 23:26

Marathoned episodes 2-8 of Ano Natsu de Matteru - I really liked Episode 05 and the end of Episodes 06 and 08. It's a bit uneven at times, but overall, I am enjoying it.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 18:25

Another [3-8] - As horror shows go, this one is very slick. Good

Have to say that marathoning was a good call. As all these shows have story arcs, being able to watch them one after another really helps. Probably should have waited until they were done, though, since all three have me pining for the next episode. Doh! sweat
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 19:05

I take it that your sig character is from Bodacious Space Pirates?

I just might have to take a look at that one. On Cloud 9
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 19:26

Officer_Charon wrote:I take it that your sig character is from Bodacious Space Pirates?

Indeed it is. The show's been licensed by Sentai Filmworks, so hopefully we'll see a Blu-ray release.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 19:32

Lacking Blu-Ray, I'll take what I can get. *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 28 Feb 2012 - 19:39

Officer_Charon wrote:Lacking Blu-Ray, I'll take what I can get. *grins*

Indeed, but it does kind of frost me that companies are not releasing R1 Blu-rays for many hit shows, including Oreimo and Toradora (though the DVD sets come with most, if not all, of the extras that the Japanese Blu-rays did). Then again, part of it could be due to the licensing contract, considering how vastly more expensive BRDs are in Japan compared to the US and with the US and Japan both in the same region, reverse-importing is easy.

Gunslinger Girl was originally supposed to be released on Blu-ray in the US almost day and date with the Japanese release, but the US one would have been $40 vs. $400 for the Japanese set so they delayed the US release for months. Squid Girl also was released originally as a DVD only in the US, but then they did release it on Blu-ray about six months after Japan.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy some shows on R1 DVD because I fear they will release a BRD set down the road and then I end up buying it twice.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 23:47

Speaking of Bodacious Space Pirates, this is officially my favorite piece of fan art for the show. Laughing

Winter 2012 Anime 34207001

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 2 Mar 2012 - 23:56

That is so the new wallpaper for my MacBook Air.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 3 Mar 2012 - 2:46

Busou Chuugakusei Basketarmy - Episode 2

Migoto released episode 2 and it is a flashback episode. Looks like a European PMC with global operations are the ones in Japan fighting the kids for control of "Monster".
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 3 Mar 2012 - 13:27

I'd have certainly watched this version of Star Trek. On Cloud 9

Winter 2012 Anime Miniskirt_Trek

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 3 Mar 2012 - 18:26; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sat 3 Mar 2012 - 16:00

Oh yeah... DEFINITELY going to have to check this show out
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 4 Mar 2012 - 15:52

Officer_Charon wrote:Oh yeah... DEFINITELY going to have to check this show out

Good

When I heard it was called "Miniskirt Space Pirates" I figured it was going to be some lame fan-service heavy show that I'd watch the first episode of on a lark and then dismiss. I just finished Episode 09 and if I am honest, it's probably my favorite of the season.

But then I see elemental hints of two of my favorite anime series - Starship Operators and Coyote Ragtime Show - in it, so maybe I should not be surprised that I like it. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 0:03

Miniskirt/Bodacious Space Pirates is indeed remarkably light on fan service given the kinds of titles its been given. I guess the director decided to save all the fan service for Rinne no Lagrange. Razz (Although I actually consider Rinne no Lagrange one of the top tier shows of the season at this point as well. In fact I think I actually favor it over Pirates.)

Actually I seem to remember reading somewhere on animesuki that the word used in the original Japanese title for Pirates that people had translated as "miniskirt" could also be translated other ways. I seem to remember the term meant something along the lines of "bold" or "audacious" or somesuch but could also be translated as "miniskirt." Unfortunately I've had trouble finding the discussion again.

Last edited by Piero on Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 2:45; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 2:36

Just finished watching a Madhouse movie that I didn't even know existed until today. It's called The Princess and the Pilot. It's about a pilot who gets assigned to transport a royal's fiance from a besieged island to the country's mainland. It's not perfect, but it's good enough that if I'd gotten to see a fansub of it earlier my pick for top anime movie of 2011 might have been different. Winter 2012 Anime 684325 I'll likely try to read the fan translation of the novel it's based on at some point.

Despite the jokes about us having opposite tastes I'm going to suggest that Kiskaloo in particular should give it a try.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 3:09

That one sounds pretty nifty! Did you find it under that name, or under the Japanese name? (And please, dear GOD forgive me if I came off as extra-retarded... I've been reading crazy customer-service stories all night, and it might have been contagious...)
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 11:12

It was actually my brother who got ahold of it, but the the fansub group that did it (Mazui) seems to refer to it in English (both the filename and the name on their site was in English).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 6 Mar 2012 - 23:49

Piero wrote:Despite the jokes about us having opposite tastes I'm going to suggest that Kiskaloo in particular should give it a try.

Just finished it and I found it brilliant. Hopefully it gets an R1 Blu-ray release.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 1:08

Glad you liked it. For some reason it just struck me as a film you might really like. I suspect the airplanes had something to do with that (although they probably weren't the only factor). Winter 2012 Anime 684325

I certainly wouldn't mind a R1 release either.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 19 Mar 2012 - 15:49

Now eleven episodes in on each, I have a feeling I'm going to have a heck of a time deciding between Bodacious Space Pirates and Another as my favorite show of this season. They are polar opposites in genre, but they are both brilliant within their particular genre.

This would have made it easier...
Spoiler:
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 21 Mar 2012 - 23:15

My top picks haven't really changed over the last few weeks. I've pretty much got Rinne no Lagrange in first, with Bodacious Space Pirates as a strong second and Daily Lives of High School boys quite a ways back in third.

Does anyone know if Pirates is going to continue in Spring? It's supposedly a two cour show, but I'm wondering if it's going to continue into the Spring season or take some time off between cours like Rinne no Lagrange will apparently be doing.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next