Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best of Police Cars

+13
John_234
tremec6speed
imksoon
Robert Frazer
Awinnell
Kiskaloo
Alfisti
MP5
Piero
ElfenMagix
Professor Voodoo
Odon
Officer_Charon
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best of Police Cars - Page 2 Empty Re: Best of Police Cars

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 13:43

Alfisti wrote:I'll admit I'm struggling with how developing a new model for a single market, with all the costs that entails and manufacturing it with western labour costs can be more cost effective than importing an existing model manufactured for export markets in places like Thailand...

It depends on how large the market is. Honda makes different models of the Accord and Civic for the US then they do in Europe (the US Accord is larger), though Honda did later import the European model as the Acura TSX.

Alfisti wrote:However that still doesn't explain why not utilise a global rear-wheel drive platform for those cars which require it... either based on the Falcon or on some US side development and, unlike say the Mustang the Falcon at least has such modern conveniences as, you know... independent rear suspension.

Part of it is cost. Ford has noted that adding IDS to the Mustang would have added $5000 to the MSRP. That being said, the 2015 Mustang will have independent rear suspension across the line.

Alfisti wrote:Maybe I'm just jaded, but part of me can't help but think, whatever the official reasoning, there was a certain amount of good old fashioned "not made here" syndrome going around for awhile there in the Ford management.

Many older lines (like the Fox platform that has underpinned the Mustang since 1978 or the Panther than underpinned the Town Car / Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis) are fully depreciated and that helps reduce production costs and allow these models to remain profitably in production at lower sales volumes.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 16 Jan 2013 - 17:09

Kiskaloo wrote:
Alfisti wrote:I'll admit I'm struggling with how developing a new model for a single market, with all the costs that entails and manufacturing it with western labour costs can be more cost effective than importing an existing model manufactured for export markets in places like Thailand...

It depends on how large the market is. Honda makes different models of the Accord and Civic for the US then they do in Europe (the US Accord is larger), though Honda did later import the European model as the Acura TSX.
Heh... well I guess America is a massive, consumerist society Razz If they're the two cars I'm thinking of then we get both Accords over here as well, marketed as the Accord and the Accord Euro respecively... though the former is generally considered as having a target demographic which requires a blue rinse for entry and the latter usually has its name predecessed by the words "accountant spec" Razz It's more expensive, but generally considered the better buy.

I will admit I had forgotten (or underestimated, or a bit of both) just how bottom-dollar driven the US market could be.

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5880

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 10:51

Dubai... don't go there if you're planning to out-muscle the cops...

This is why.

Best of Police Cars - Page 2 2989621377

taerKitty

Forum Posts : 1211

Registration date : 2012-01-22
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 23:37

Considering the congestion in China, I would like to point out that the Chinese Police Supercar (Porche 911, y/n?) is most likely simply there to demonstrate that China is "powerful".

I don't see HOW it does that, exactly, but then again, China's consumerism is worse than the US's.

Il Direttore

Forum Posts : 1003

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 6:54

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by topgearbrzgt86 Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 8:11

Jim: The Fezza is good, but I think I'll stick with the Volvo P1800S. Razz Dunno why, but, the world works in strange ways.

topgearbrzgt86

Forum Posts : 453

Registration date : 2013-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 9:29

apparently UK police forces can now order a factory built Volvo V70 police car

The Volvo V70 police car was designed and developed in conjunction with the NAPFM, National Police Improvement Agency, Police Federation and users. Volvo will build the fully equipped V70 estate on the standard production line in Torslanda, Sweden, offering a turn key solution to the British Police Force.

Volvo believes this is the first time a fully equipped frontline UK police car has been available to factory order and is confident of immediate interest from authorities who have been used to a car spending several months having special kit fitted before being able to put it into service. Customers can expect delivery of their Volvo V70 Turn Key police car within 12-14 weeks from their initial order.

All elements of the new Volvo V70 Turn Key police car are factory built for UK forces from the battenburg livery and lightbar to all radio prep/wiring and a master control panel. The factory fitted options list reads slightly differently to usual and includes the VASCAR speed detection system, a police surveillance video camera and a two dog cage.

This is added to Volvo’s already unique tried and tested police chassis, which includes self levelling suspension and special 17.5 inch brakes and reinforced alloy wheels which further improve stopping distances and brake disc cooling.

With Duty of Care being at the top of the wish list for all police authorities, having a car that is fully designed, built and supported in the aftermarket by the manufacturer is another huge plus point for the Volvo V70 Turn Key.

Volvo first announced its intentions to design and build the ultimate Turn Key police car at last year’s NAPFM conference.  Now, 12 months on, after taking into consideration the wish lists of all UK police authorities, Volvo has delivered the complete car with a range of petrolBest of Police Cars - Page 2 Icon1, diesel and FlexiFuel engines.

“Volvo has worked with its partners to deliver what police forces want from a typical patrol car and we are confident it will be a big hit. Being able to factory order a car and know it will be ready for immediate action when it arrives is a significant benefit and it also addresses the Duty of Care commitments of police authorities. We believe this car takes the UK police market to a new level,” said Sarah Tottle, Volvo UK’s special vehiclesBest of Police Cars - Page 2 Icon1 manager.
Best of Police Cars - Page 2 53506-10

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Forum Posts : 2131

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 11:48

Not bad, not bad... plenty roomy, all right...I just wonder about how well an estate would handle in rapid maneuvers in suburban areas...

Officer_Charon

Forum Posts : 1472

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 12:06

Officer_Charon wrote:Not bad, not bad... plenty roomy, all right...I just wonder about how well an estate would handle in rapid maneuvers in suburban areas...
It's shorter and lighter than the old Crown Victoria so probably fairly well, and lets face it if you can drive on UK roads you can get it around most US roads with ease !
edit: found the third gen specs for the Volvo

Best of Police Cars - Page 2 3gvolv10

Best of Police Cars - Page 2 Cvic10

A typical UK street

Best of Police Cars - Page 2 Englan10

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 14:02

Awinnell wrote:apparently UK police forces can now order a factory built Volvo V70 police car
I imagine Clarkson will like these even less than the current Vauxhall Astra Diesels. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 14:50

Kiskaloo wrote:
Awinnell wrote:apparently UK police forces can now order a factory built Volvo V70 police car
I imagine Clarkson will like these even less than the current Vauxhall Astra Diesels. Smile
The UK police have been driving Volvo's for decades, they aren't as common as the Astra but still common enough, the only change here is that they are factory built rather than modified afterwards
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 15:35

Quite familiar with UK streets... grew up in a small village near Huntingdon. *grins*

I was just thinking that a Station Wagon might not be the best thing for a patrol vehicle... then I remembered what a gunboat the Crown Vic is... *laughs sheepishly*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 15:52

Officer_Charon wrote:Quite familiar with UK streets... grew up in a small village near Huntingdon. *grins*

I was just thinking that a Station Wagon might not be the best thing for a patrol vehicle... then I remembered what a gunboat the Crown Vic is... *laughs sheepishly*
Didn't know that, were you a US Air force  Pad brat ?
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 16:24

Awinnell wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:
The UK police have been driving Volvo's for decades, they aren't as common as the Astra but still common enough, the only change here is that they are factory built rather than modified afterwards
Indeed, I seem to recall some Volvo estates in police livery during the "Make a police car for a lot less money than the real police spend on their cars" challenge in Episode 1 of Season 11 of Top Gear UK.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 16:52

Awinnell wrote:
Officer_Charon wrote:Quite familiar with UK streets... grew up in a small village near Huntingdon. *grins*

Of a sort... my dad was a contractor to the USAF, based out of RAF Alconbury. Grew up in a village called Buckden. One school, one church, three pubs *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 17:15

Officer_Charon wrote:
Awinnell wrote:

Of a sort... my dad was a contractor to the USAF, based out of RAF Alconbury. Grew up in a village called Buckden. One school, one church, three pubs *grins*
nothing strange about having three pubs, Priorities !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 17:51

Was just commenting that the pub crawl would be insanely easy... they're all on High Street, too. *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 6:24

Officer_Charon wrote:Was just commenting that the pub crawl would be insanely easy... they're all on High Street, too. *grins*
Pub crawl ? hmmmm , is one of them called the worlds end ?
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 18:42

Nissan Patrol, on patrol-ish...
Best of Police Cars - Page 2 10933732_797728060294985_4463332085429370031_n
via Only In Australia Facebook

Perhaps he could have used a...
Best of Police Cars - Page 2 Week127karl
(on the back of the tray... sorry, it's the only usable photo I could find... the rest were irony "Nissan Recovery Vehicles being rescued by Patrols" photos).
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 26 Oct 2016 - 4:24

I see the Carabinieri have new wheels now as well...
Best of Police Cars - Page 2 14642050_10157666786530596_6028701636524529748_n
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Wed 26 Oct 2016 - 9:19

A good in-country brand.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 23:41

I'm just going to leave this here:  Best of Police Cars - Page 2 17424803_1323702951043692_4176132938559556655_n
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 12 Jun 2017 - 4:43

For when you run into the Baader-Meinhof and need to react in a hurry, obviously.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content