Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history

+7
Sintendo
Professor Voodoo
Piero
Kiskaloo
Triela
Nachtsider
SPARTAN 119
11 posters

Go down

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Empty Great Moments in fail sub/dub history

Post by SPARTAN 119 Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 17:45

First off, some dub fails:

Rika says Nipah in English:

So, you dodged my Gay Bulge's fatal blow?:
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Empty Re: Great Moments in fail sub/dub history

Post by Nachtsider Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 17:58

It's a shame I don't have my subtitled copies of Jinki: Extend and Saber Marionette J to X. Those were some piles of horse manure, man. Also, TV Nihon irritate the hell out of me with their penchant for peppering their subs with untranslated words and translator's notes. I'm here to watch a show and be entertained, not attend a goddamn language class.

As for the dub side of things - I'm normally all for dubs, but the English dub for Lost Universe is complete and utter garbage. Only bad dub I've ever encountered.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Empty Re: Great Moments in fail sub/dub history

Post by Triela Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 18:03

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 21:16

Triela, I dont get it. What was so bad at 2:50 Puzzled

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 21:33

crazyidiot78 wrote:Triela, I dont get it. What was so bad at 2:50 Puzzled
I'm pretty sure she was talking about that... sound that Henrietta made. That terrible, terrible sound that violated my ears. I dunno about you guys, but I think she should have given us a better warning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 21:36

JayBirdSupreme wrote:
I'm pretty sure she was talking about that... sound that Henrietta made. That terrible, terrible sound that violated my ears. I dunno about you guys, but I think she should have given us a better warning.

Yeah, but any young Japanese girl in love makes that sound. Listen to Skuld every time she unveils one of her new inventions, for example. Plus that's the original seiyuu, so how can it be a dub failure?
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 22:48

Kiskaloo wrote:
JayBirdSupreme wrote:

Yeah, but any young Japanese girl in love makes that sound. Listen to Skuld every time she unveils one of her new inventions, for example. Plus that's the original seiyuu, so how can it be a dub failure?
It's why I tend to avoid Japanese dubs, simply because I cannot stand the voices. Nothing against the Japanese language or voice actors/actresses or anything, it's just that I, personally, find the voices downright annoying.

Another thing, and I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, is that they all sound the same, at least to me. Whenever I watch an anime with the original Japanese voices, I hear the same generic male voice come from male characters, and the same generic female voice come from female characters, just with slight variations for each character, like a different tone or pitch. I'm not sure why I hear it that way, when it seems everyone else is able to identify the different "seiyuus" from voice alone.

Anyway, I'm sorry I went off topic, and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by posting this, but this is how I honestly feel about Japanese dubs. I've been meaning to get this off my chest for a while now, I just never found the right time to do it. And now, I'm not even sure if this was the right time. In any case, please accept my apologies if I have done anything wrong, or if I have hurt anyone's feelings. I just started writing a reply and it somehow turned into a bit of a rant. I'm out of things to say for the moment, so I think I'll put it to an end here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 22:49

Kiskaloo wrote:Yeah, but any young Japanese girl in love makes that sound.
What, even in real life? Now THAT I have to hear. Razz
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 23:35

That sound was just... disgusting... It's not Henrietta at all.

Listen to the dub of that part. SO much better. Love you Laura Bailey! <3
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 0:08

Triela wrote:

Hmmm...I've got to agree with T on this one...a euphoric freak out, even from Henrietta, doesn't really fit the melancholy mood of canon GsG.

Note: The fire/abandon ship alarm went off as I was typing this post, but I stayed in my cabin until I was done typing before checking to see what was up. False alarm; but perhaps not the smartest thing I've done today.

Last edited by Professor Voodoo on Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 0:17; edited 1 time in total
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 0:15

Well in the manga she looked pretty darn deliriously happy...
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sintendo Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 1:23

People die when they are killed
Sintendo
Sintendo
Attention Gigolo

Male

Forum Posts : 618

Comments : It's like a 5 hour orgasm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 4:54

Triela wrote:Skip to 2:50. EPIC FAIL! >_<

If it can reassure you the VA hasn't found another role since (except as an extra in one episode of kobato) Laughing

The original japanese henrietta from season 1 is probably too busy with her music career to take on the role again

What really was disapointing to me was that even Hanazawa Kana wasn't really good as angie and she's one of my favorite VAs out there (she's the lead character in the 2nd season of darker than black for exemple)

But back on topic with a classic :

I guess it fails so much it becomes a win,but really even if the line is fun already in the japanese or french dubs i've watched,the english one takes the crown.

Totoum
Totoum

Male

Forum Posts : 480

Fan of : claes

Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 6:21

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history 42683110
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 18:17

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Anime-fansub-failure-012
Attention Japanese speakers, WTF does that translate to, anyway?!
More from the same thread
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 18:45

Triela wrote:

Listen to the dub of that part. SO much better. Love you Laura Bailey! <3

HELL YES. What the hell did you pricks do to Henrietta? She's my favorite character. It's one of my top issues among dozens of why I HATE Il Teatrino. She's been replaced with this moe-blob.... thing. This isin't Henrietta.

SPARTAN 119 wrote:First off, some dub fails:

Ugh, I decided not to watch the dub after I heard how bad it was. This confirms what I've heard.

Totoum wrote:

I guess it fails so much it becomes a win,but really even if the line is fun already in the japanese or french dubs i've watched,the english one takes the crown.

Epic Potato Chip Eating™️
Seriously though, was this meant to be some sort of comedic relief that poked fun at all the epic seriousness of Death Note? I can't imagine that the director actually meant for this to add actual dramatic effect.
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 20:36

SPARTAN 119 wrote:First off, some dub fails:

BLASPHEMY.

[quote="Totoum"]
What really was disapointing to me was that even Hanazawa Kana wasn't really good as angie and she's one of my favorite VAs out there (she's the lead character in the 2nd season of darker than black for exemple)

I didn't realize that Kana played Angie is season 2, likely because I didn't really take notice of her until I heard Renai Circulation.

That said, since I can't remember Angie's voicework in Il Teatrino very well... how can that fail? Some of Kana's most famous recent roles include characters like Nadeko and Tenshi, it seems like she's be a good match for Angelica.

Side note: for a while I thought Kana was one of those actresses that always sounds similar, but her recent performance as the gothloli girl in Ore no Imouto sounded pretty different from the roles I know her for. Also, her photo on anidb.net just screams "SO CUTE": http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=176

Totoum wrote:
But back on topic with a classic :

You know, at one point I actually applied to do a co-op term as an office assistant at the studio that made that dub. Didn't get the position though.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 1:53

0utf0xZer0 wrote:
Totoum wrote:;]

I didn't realize that Kana played Angie is season 2, likely because I didn't really take notice of her until I heard Renai Circulation

That said, since I can't remember Angie's voicework in Il Teatrino very well... how can that fail? Some of Kana's most famous recent roles include characters like Nadeko and Tenshi, it seems like she's be a good match for Angelica..

I guess it's a difference of expectations since I've been a Kana fanboy for 3 years (in fall 07' after hearing her in sketchbook full color's) but nobody knew her back then now there's a bunch of bandwaggoners!
Anyway point is since I was already a fanboy before the announcement she'd be Angie I expected a lot,and while she gave a "standard cute" kana performance (though using a voice that's closer to "kobato" than to "kanade/tenshi") I thought she had much more potential,then I heard her performance in darker than black II as the main character: a "girl with a gun" named Suou and thought "that's what I wanted for GG!"

Only scene I found on youtube that showcases her acting,great scene but highly spoilerish:

Spoiler:

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Side note: for a while I thought Kana was one of those actresses that always sounds similar, but her recent performance as the gothloli girl in Ore no Imouto sounded pretty different from the roles I know her for. Also, her photo on anidb.net just screams "SO CUTE": http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=176

While she definatly doesn't have the most range in the world she definatly has more range than most people give her credit for,glad she got that part in Ore no Imouto.The problem might just be overexposure,she's in 5 animes this season.

On topic:

bad editing can lead to things like this:

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Fansub-anime-sub-failure-076
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 0utf0xZer0 Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 2:29

Totoum wrote:
I guess it's a difference of expectations since I've been a Kana fanboy for 3 years (in fall 07' after hearing her in sketchbook full color's) but nobody knew her back then now there's a bunch of bandwaggoners!

I never watched Sketchbook (probably should, I guess), which probably explains the difference. I think we both have that habit where we really notice someone's voice work after a certain performance really impresses us. The most notable example for me would be Noto Mamiko as Matsuri Shihou in Sola, I hadn't been into anime very long at that point and I'd never seen a character with such charming mannerisms. Of course, I now recognize Noto Mamiko to the point where when she played a mute in Canaan... I identified her by her breathing and eating sounds.

Totoum wrote:
Only scene I found on youtube that showcases her acting,great scene but highly spoilerish:

Spoiler:

Blocked in Canada due to copyright grounds. I do have fansubs for DTB2 around somewhere if you can give me an episode and time though.

Totoum wrote:
While she definatly doesn't have the most range in the world she definatly has more range than most people give her credit for,glad she got that part in Ore no Imouto.The problem might just be overexposure,she's in 5 animes this season.

Sometimes when you hear someone use a certain voice a few times you tend to associate that voice with them too. Case in point: I long associated Saito Chiwa with loli-tsundere characters like Hazuki from Moon Phase. Then I found out she plays Hitagi in Bakemonogatari. Completely changed my impression of her voicework.

Totoum wrote:
On topic:

bad editing can lead to things like this:

Is that from a GG sub? Because if so, it's probably intentional. They throw a lot of stuff like that in.
0utf0xZer0
0utf0xZer0

Male

Forum Posts : 265

Fan of : Claes and Angelica

Original Characters : Work in progress

Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 7:31

SPARTAN 119 wrote:Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Anime-fansub-failure-012
Attention Japanese speakers, WTF does that translate to, anyway?!
More from the same thread

that one was intentional,they were looking to get more translators,so anyone who could read that was in with a chance
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 10:48

Totoum wrote:bad editing can lead to things like this:

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Context
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 14:11

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Blocked in Canada due to copyright grounds. I do have fansubs for DTB2 around somewhere if you can give me an episode and time though.

Sure , from 15:35 to 18:50, not saying you won't recognise her,you most certainly will but it's not everyday you see her in a dramatic role like this.

0utf0xZer0 wrote:Is that from a GG sub? Because if so, it's probably intentional. They throw a lot of stuff like that in.

I try to keep up with GG as much as possible but I could have verywell missed this.

Speaking of GG,they often point fails by other groups,I remember an epic one they posted where frostii got the map of europe completely wrong:

Spoiler:
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 19:07

fans subs aren't the only ones to do that badly at geography,

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history Cnnfai10
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 1:00

Totoum wrote:bad editing can lead to things like this:

I burst into laughter when I read that Laughing
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 1:21

Awinnell wrote:fans subs aren't the only ones to do that badly at geography,

Well if you want to include cnn...

Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 1:51

Totoum wrote:
Anyway point is since I was already a fanboy before the announcement she'd be Angie I expected a lot,and while she gave a "standard cute" kana performance (though using a voice that's closer to "kobato" than to "kanade/tenshi") I thought she had much more potential,then I heard her performance in darker than black II as the main character: a "girl with a gun" named Suou and thought "that's what I wanted for GG!"

The direction of the series may have had something to do with Kana's performance. Considering how sugar coated the art style is, maybe that was the sort of performance the director was looking for?

Totoum wrote:The original japanese henrietta from season 1 is probably too busy with her music career to take on the role again

It's odd that they completely ditched the first season GSG cast for Il Teatrino. That's pretty much never done in anime unless the series is really, really old -and even then they sometimes dredge up the originals. And things got really weird when they brought Elsa's voice actress in as Patricia -a character who appeared in season one with a different voice actress).

Yuuka Nanri isn't one of the voice actresses I follow a lot, but I think she's awesome just because of how fun it is to point out to people that are familiar with Henrietta that one of her VA's other roles was Nao Yuuki from Mai-HiME. Evil

What voice actors/actresses do you think of as being highly versatile anyhow? The ones that jump to mind for me are Tomozaku Seki, Satsuki Yukino, and Megumi Hayashibara. Maybe Mai Nakahara as well. And I suppose it we're on HiME alumni Saeko Chiba might also have a claim since she voiced Natsuki from that series and freaking Dokuro-chan from Beating Angel Dokuro chan (although I'll admit Dokuro-chan doesn't have a particularly natural voice).

Edit: Since I'm also curious about what scene of DTB 2 you're thinking of, can I ask what episode the clip is from? You gave a time, but not an episode...

Last edited by Piero on Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 15:18; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 11:14

Piero wrote:What voice actors/actresses do you think of as being highly versatile anyhow?

Of the current crop, Yui Horie, to be sure. And to think she's 34!

And for old school, Michie Tomizawa had an impressive range. I went to the Project A-Ko 2 premiere with her (she did the voice of C-Ko in that series) and she did some of her other characters (Pony from Gall Force, Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon, Linna Yamazaki from Bubblegum Crisis, etc.) and they were pretty different.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 15:23

Kiskaloo wrote:Of the current crop, Yui Horie, to be sure. And to think she's 34!

Really? I like Yui Horie, but for me she has a really strong association with tsundere roles.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 16:46

Totoum wrote:
Awinnell wrote:fans subs aren't the only ones to do that badly at geography,

Well if you want to include cnn...

Great Moments in fail sub/dub history GeographyFailpart1
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Totoum Thu 14 Oct 2010 - 18:22

Piero wrote:The direction of the series may have had something to do with Kana's performance. Considering how sugar coated the art style is, maybe that was the sort of performance the director was looking for?

Yep I'm pretty much sure that's it too.

Totoum wrote:It's odd that they completely ditched the first season GSG cast for Il Teatrino. That's pretty much never done in anime unless the series is really, really old -and even then they sometimes dredge up the originals.

I think it's a combination of time and new creative team.

Another exemple is the Air Gear OVA that's gonna come out,satelight is replacing toei and they've changed the whole cast.

Maybe Yu Aida didn't like the actors in S1 so he dedcided to change them?

What voice actors/actresses do you think of as being highly versatile anyhow?

Ayahi Takagaki comes to mind, here's a video of some of her work , if 5 minutes is too long then I suggest watching 2:50-3:35

Edit: Since I'm also curious about what scene of DTB 2 you're thinking of, can I ask what episode the clip is from? You gave a time, but not an episode...

oops,sorry about that sweat

It's episode 12
Totoum
Totoum

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 2:36

Totoum wrote:
Piero wrote:The direction of the series may have had something to do with Kana's performance. Considering how sugar coated the art style is, maybe that was the sort of performance the director was looking for?

Yep I'm pretty much sure that's it too.

Totoum wrote:It's odd that they completely ditched the first season GSG cast for Il Teatrino. That's pretty much never done in anime unless the series is really, really old -and even then they sometimes dredge up the originals.

I think it's a combination of time and new creative team.

Another exemple is the Air Gear OVA that's gonna come out,satelight is replacing toei and they've changed the whole cast.

Maybe Yu Aida didn't like the actors in S1 so he dedcided to change them?

Possibly. There's lots of cases of sequels done by another studio using the same cast as the original after all (Full Metal Panic and Strike Witches come to mind).

Totoum wrote:
What voice actors/actresses do you think of as being highly versatile anyhow?

Ayahi Takagaki comes to mind, here's a video of some of her work , if 5 minutes is too long then I suggest watching 2:50-3:35

Yeah, there's definitely some variation there. Too bad I couldn't dredge up that compilation of Mai Nakahara voiced characters that was on youtube a while back.

Totoum wrote:

oops,sorry about that sweat

It's episode 12

Hmmm, that's not bad (then again, I wasn't really expecting I'd find it bad -I liked the character she's voicing after all) but I'm not sure that voice would work for Angelica.

You know, I wonder if this is really the appropriate thread to be talking about voice actors and actresses that we happen to like. Laughing

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down