Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunslinger Girl Three: A New OP

+18
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika
Il Direttore
Thescarredman
Hamster
Odon
SPARTAN 119
sdp2501
windfish55
Kiskaloo
tsundere9kagami2
Totoum
Alfisti
Five_X
Awinnell
MP5
boomer_gonz
Nachtsider
Robert Frazer
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gunslinger Girl Three: A New OP - Page 2 Empty Re: Gunslinger Girl Three: A New OP

Post by Nachtsider Tue 31 May 2011 - 1:32

It's not sinister enough. Using that song would give the impression that the conversion is a fun, positive process.

Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Forum Posts : 5722

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Gunslinger Girl Three: A New OP - Page 2 Empty Re: Gunslinger Girl Three: A New OP

Post by MP5 Tue 31 May 2011 - 6:57

Nachtsider wrote:It's not sinister enough. Using that song would give the impression that the conversion is a fun, positive process.

Wait, you mean it isn't?!

Joking aside, you can make it a bit more sinister by generating lyrical dissonance-- the almost manufactured process used in the music video could be copied at least partially, for example, replacing a candidate's childhood memories with something like 'combat programming' or what have you. I don't know what kind of argument to make for using that Daft Punk song except maybe for just using it in an ironic manner.

MP5

Forum Posts : 1767

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 31 May 2011 - 7:50

Copying the video's 'manufacturing process' is fine, but the song remains too upbeat, too cheery. Irony is fine by me, though.

Nachtsider

Forum Posts : 5722

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 1 Jun 2011 - 19:57

British Sea Power - Lights Out For Darker Skies

The reasoning behind including this song is a relatively simple one - it's another entry that ticks the boxes to be added to the list of mellow, lyrical, melancholy-tinged offbeat indie rock. It also has an assortment of lyrics that can be easily adapted to a theme of wretched compromise and the strange beauty of desperation and destruction, and I also love the image of deadly delicacy evoked by the line "dance like sparks from a muzzle".

Robert Frazer

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Wed 1 Jun 2011 - 21:09

I have this song on my Sansa, and while listening to it, I thought this song by Megan Washington might fit the kind of bill that 'The Light Before We Land' by The Delgados would:

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5880

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 22:33

Muse - Starlight

I've represented Muse on this thread before, but I must return to them. Muse is an intriguing prospect: with tremendous showboating live sets and a raft of Gold albums they are as popular and mainstream as you can be, but with their scruffy appearance they still retain an indie sensibility, and with their classical roots and musical structure there's always the suggestion of something grand and frim rising up from underneath the effervescence. With all of these layers in their work they really do strike me as one of the ideal bands to represent the character of GSG. They also contribute to this with introspective, reflective themes that suit the generally slower pace of the show and its focus on expressing states of character. As well as having lyrics that could easily be construed as direct references ("All the souls that would die just to feel alive"), "Starlight" takes a tale of alienation and makes it an anthem - it seems designed for GSG and its terrible grandeur, cracks shot through the beauty of Italy.

Robert Frazer

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon Wed 7 Sep 2011 - 10:32

How about "I just dropped in (to see what condition my
conditioning was in)" by Kenny Rogers. Very Happy

Odon

Forum Posts : 482

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by sdp2501 Wed 7 Sep 2011 - 12:22

rise against, hero of war or injection. will postwe link soon
sdp2501
sdp2501

Forum Posts : 132

Fan of : Rico, Gunslinger girl, Slpiknot, Asking Alexandria, Killswitch Engage, SUICIDE SILENCE, canibal corpse, buttered toffie popcorn XD, Xbox 360

Original Characters : Kiyra, Ryu

Comments : I will drag you. To oblivion, even if I must die.

Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 20 Sep 2011 - 17:01

A candidate for an ED:

Ludovico Einaudi - The Waves

While listening to the first series' ED while ripping footage for my next AMV, it occured to me that this music could serve as an ED in a similar vein. Not only is it authentic Italian music (composed and performed by a grandson of one of Italy's presidents, no less), scoring points for thematic consistency, it has a similar reflective character which could accompany a still or quiet scene, like the first series' continuous shot of a pistol in the rain. It also provides an opportunity for a little character development for Claes - heaven knows, she needs the screentime... look how the current manga arc kicked her aside in one page!) I imagine the ED taking the form of Claes providing the first two minutes of this piece as a short piano recital while the credits scroll on the other half of the screen.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 21:54

Anastacia - Left Outside Alone

I'm not sure that I would actually use this song in the show itself, as I prefer to see the fratelli relationships as being more positive and constructive than the lyrics here depict (although the first verse could be an expression of a cyborg reaching out for contact through her handler's hard emotional walls). However, it's a pacy tune with unusual modulated vocals and a general thematic relevance that would help hook attention if it was used for a trailer.

Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 10:58

Sting - Shape of my Heart

Leon: The Professional was one of GSG's main sources of inspiration, so I think that we should be be able to make a shoutout for the movie and find some place for this, Leon's own credit theme, in the soundtrack. It might be too obvious to put in the show itself, but it's something else that could serve well as a trailer accompaniment.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 18:12

I think Robert may have come the closest to answering his own (impossible) challenge. Ludovico Einaudi is brilliant. Many of his compositions fit the mood of the series perfectly. The only problem is that a good intro needs to reach out and grab the viewer's attention immediately and Einaudi's music builds too slowly for that purpose.

My suggestion:
Pretty When You Cry-V.A.S.T.

Season one isn't overly explicit regarding the monstrous nature of what's done to the girls. Perhaps season three should force the issue right from the op.
Even omitting the second chorus, the track is more overtly sexual than I'm comfortable with; But from what I understand season three kind of goes there.
Also, exploitation and the destruction of innocence are major themes throughout the series. Personally, the only thing that makes season one tolerable is that it's entirely chaste.

Too much?
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Forum Posts : 36

Fan of : Henrietta, Elsa

Original Characters : None

Comments : Second season didn't happen.

Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 22:12

Also, exploitation and the destruction of innocence are major themes throughout the series. Personally, the only thing that makes season one tolerable is that it's entirely chaste.

When you read the manga, you are so going to hate Sandro and Petra.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 22:29

An interesting choice, Hamster. It's certainly very offbeat, which suits Gunslinger Girl's atypical nature in the first place. It'd need some editing to fit, but the chorus melody would definitely be a good hook for a new audience. The theme of the song isn't to my taste - I prefer to paint GSG's story with an optimistic tone, about how the girls and men alike are finding new worth and fulfilment even amidst their impossible situation - but it's certainly a challenging one which should again attract interest.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 24 Mar 2013 - 0:28

I just realized this thread existed. Huh.

Well anyway, I have to profess that I personally find the Series One ED and Series Two OP to fit perfectly. Take the Series Two OP and end the episodes with Series One ED and we're good.

Now, if we're discussing alternates, then for an OP, allow me to propose one of the following:

Hurt, cover by Johnny Cash, original by Nine Inch Nails

Madness, by Muse (how surprising)

Sing for Absolution, by Muse (and again)

..and just for kicks, even though it doesn't follow the tone of GSG at all:

Supremacy, by Muse (guess my favorite band)

..and if I may just suggest for Alfisti:

You Know My Name, by Chris Cornell

As for an ED:

Thule, by The Album Leaf

In My Defense, sung by Freddie Mercury, from the musical "Time"

Ain't No Grave (Can Hold My Body Down), by Johnny Cash

...massive post is massive.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Sun 24 Mar 2013 - 5:14

since Gunslinger girl season 3 will expect Sandro-Petra...

it just need another singer XD
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Sun 24 Mar 2013 - 9:55

If I was producing Season 3 of GSG, because A&P's story is a fair departure from and doesn't strongly involve the remainder of the cast, I would probably recount their story arc as a parallel tale. The actual season itself would continue to focus on the wider Agency (ideally with original stories to help re-establish the setting because post-Pinnochio isn't really a great jumping-on point for new readers or viewers), while A&P's adventures would be extra OVAs included as bonuses to the DVD sets. "Gunslinger Girl: Matryoshka" has a nice ring to it, and it lets us have two different OPs for the main series and the OVA cycle.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 24 Mar 2013 - 13:46

Plus allows the Petra/Sandro haters to ignore them at will.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 24 Mar 2013 - 13:49

And costs about 50% more than doing the one set of episodes. Very Happy
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 31 Mar 2013 - 21:28

Presented for your consideration as an ED theme, Fade into Darkness by AVICII:

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Mon 1 Apr 2013 - 0:10

That was good, I liked it, Fade into Darkness, I can see that as a continuation of the story. Smile
Johnny Cash's cover of the song Hurt, got my attention and never let go.
Wow.
It would make a great testament to the anguish the handlers who care must feel, teaching children brought back from the abyss, only to twist their new lives into well; '....an empire of dirt....'. clapping head bang Good Good Yes Indeed Not Worthy!
Go Johnny go, Johnny be....great! cheers
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 12:31

Garbage - Not Your Kind of People

This song was recently used to accompany the trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, but I think that it's something that could well be suited to Gunslinger Girl as well. The lyrics of alienation and dislocation are an obvious parallel, and the actions of the Social Welfare Agency themselves could quite easily be construed as "tatical espionage action", but more than that the very style of the song itself takes us back to the beginning and is similar to the Delgados' "Light Before We Land". The lead singer for Garbage is actually Scottish herself, too.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 1:25

It'd very significantly change the tone of GSG, but I very much like it. The almost gentle atmosphere created by the melody is grounded well by the bass, and the overall sense of "we're different, don't judge us like the everything" is cruelly ironic when compared to the girls in GSG, as such a difference is usually perceived as humanizing and equalizing. Compare this to the extreme DEhumanization and subjugation of the cyborgs.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by A Kool Poptart Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 20:43

Or this

A Kool Poptart
A Kool Poptart

Male

Forum Posts : 32

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Person of Interest and a bunch of other anime and TV shows that I don't have time to list right now

Original Characters : Elise, Jim Reed

Comments : "Hey look, a naked woman!" ~ Yatsuha

Registration date : 2013-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 20:57

A Kool Poptart wrote:

Or this

1. Prefer the second one, though perhaps not as an OP. Just my own taste there. As in Intro though...
2. Found new artist to investigate and someone who apparently is at least partly into the Vocaloids. Brills.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 22:23

Stay by 12 Stones seems approprite

Something by Abingdon Boy School might be worth looking into...I'll do that later.

El Conservatore wrote:someone who apparently is at least partly into the Vocaloids. Brills.
Make that two people...just didn't think anything that I felt was worth putting in the topic.
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 936

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 12:38

Another one for consideration - the OP to the Live Action TV drama of Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora:

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 17:50

My idea of an opening is No Emotion - Idlewild 

Outro, maybe Back to This - The Helio Sequence

I was also considering Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups.
TeaTimeNinja
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 507

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly + Pete

Comments : Legalize wheelies.

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 23:26

The Idlewild song didn't really work for me as an opener - until I blanked the video and imagined a montage of scenes from the anime. Then it seemed a perfect fit. Good tune, TT.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by TeaTimeNinja Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 23:54

Lol dang music video. It was a non conventional choice, but I'm glad you liked it!
TeaTimeNinja
TeaTimeNinja

Male

Forum Posts : 507

Fan of : Rico

Original Characters : Elly + Pete

Comments : Legalize wheelies.

Registration date : 2014-07-30
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2