Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations

2 posters

Go down

Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations Empty Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations

Post by Piero Mon 30 Mar 2015 - 19:04

The 2008 anime Allison and Lillia came up in discussions on this board a while back.  At the time I was unaware of any translations for the light novels the series was based on being available in English, which was somewhat disappointing because the anime version had appeal, but felt like it could have been vastly better than it was.

Well, turns out that around the time the series was being discussed on this forum a blogger started translating the series into English, and translations are now available for all of the novels in the Allison series and most of the novels in the Lillia and Trieze series.

I don't know if any of the people who had an interest in the anime will actually be up for reading the source novels, but I do think they're generally better than the anime.  They've got additional world detail (there's more than one language for instance -the main characters being bilingual is actually quite important at times) and are significantly more violent (that may sound like a bad thing, but the anime went so far in its attempts to tone down the source material's violence that it ended up seeming ridiculous).  That being said, the novels don't fix all the anime's problems (the first arc of Lillia and Trieze is still kind of weak) and even have some issues of their own.

Translations for Allison can be found here.
Translations for the sequel series, Lillia and Trieze, can be found here here.

Apparently the translator has plans to do Lillia and Trieze's more comedic spin off series, Meg and Seron.

BTW, for those of you who aren't familiar with the anime adaptation, here's a summary of the first story arc.  I wrote it for the anime version, but it should be mostly accurate for the novel version of the story as well.

Spoiler:

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations Empty Re: Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations

Post by Guest Tue 31 Mar 2015 - 8:38

Sounds interesting and I might check it out in the future.  Here's hoping for some light hearted India Jonese esque adventure

Back to top Go down

Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations Empty Re: Allison, Lillia, and Trieze Novel Translations

Post by Piero Tue 31 Mar 2015 - 23:56

Well, they are adventure series, though not really Indiana Jones style ones.  They can get somewhat dark at times, especially from the third arc of Allison onwards.

Still, I'd be interested in seeing what you thought of them, since unlike myself, Alfisti, and possibly Kiskaloo you haven't seen the anime version.  (While there are differences between the novels and the anime, they're similar enough that I was spoiled for a lot of the major twists.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 0:17

If I can down load them I'll give them a read on the plane to Seoul on Saturday.  I don't mind darkness I'm just not in the mood for a super serious type of thing.  More like Nanoha being more light hearted than madoka

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 1:19

It's hard to directly compare with those two because of the difference in story type, but in general I'd say you should be fine, especially for the first and second arcs of Allison.  Things do get somewhat darker after the first two arcs.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 8:01

Piero wrote:Still, I'd be interested in seeing what you thought of them, since unlike myself, Alfisti, and possibly Kiskaloo you haven't seen the anime version.

I bought the box set, but have not yet watched it.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down