Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi - another newbie hatches!

+13
Triela-Chan
KodokuRyuu
Five_X
theprodigalson
Godot
Tommygunner70
Professor Voodoo
boomer_gonz
Triela
japanwanderer
Triela Hilshire
Jacen Starslayer
mistersaxon
17 posters

Go down

Hi - another newbie hatches! Empty Hi - another newbie hatches!

Post by mistersaxon Wed 26 May 2010 - 4:38

Hi! I was looking for some translations of Vol 7 since I've read the first 6 volumes and I gather that ADV aren't doing the rest as yet. I have Japanese, German and French #FAIL so here I am! Thank you Google - my innocently wise friend on the internet (TM)

But you know what they say "Come for the translations, stay for the scary, scary lolis" and that seems right and proper to me Smile

So yeah, hi! I'm looking forward to reading up all the publicly released translations on Manga Fox (and BUYING THE BOOKS if I ever get the chance!!) and meeting more folks who find that GSG is like rocket fuel for their imagination...

Oh yeah - FTR I think that scanlation can be theft but mostly it's not because it tends to cater to folks like me who simply can't get to read awesome stories in their own language in any other way. Accordingly you folks get HUGE props from me for the work you put in and the work you put out. THANK YOU!!!
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Forum Posts : 36

Fan of : Henrietta

Original Characters : None here (yet)

Comments : I like to write - I should probably get that out in the open no?

Registration date : 2010-05-26

Back to top Go down

Hi - another newbie hatches! Empty Re: Hi - another newbie hatches!

Post by Jacen Starslayer Wed 26 May 2010 - 7:15

Greeting Mistersaxon, welcome to the forums.
Jacen Starslayer
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Forum Posts : 525

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve 2, Fate/Stay Night, Ah! My Goddess, etc.

Original Characters : Jay Valentine

Comments : "The man who tries to please everyone, will never be happy with themselves."

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Hilshire Wed 26 May 2010 - 7:27

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
Hi - another newbie hatches! 761570
Triela Hilshire
Triela Hilshire

Female

Forum Posts : 150

Fan of : Triela, Henrietta, Rico, Beatrice, Angelica, and... Claes.

Original Characters : Karin Hilshire

Comments : Karin Hilshire, WoD character based off of Triela from Gunslinger Girl.

Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by japanwanderer Wed 26 May 2010 - 7:33

Welcome Welcome. You're in the right place.
japanwanderer
japanwanderer

Male

Forum Posts : 16

Fan of : Triela

Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Wed 26 May 2010 - 7:57

Ah, but the right place for what? That's the $64,000 question. I mean, I heard there was hot chocolate but the recipe didn't look that great Sad

Are there cookies? Or is that when you turn to the Dark Side?

I can never remember - I think that's something to do with the conditioning though... Embarassed
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Wed 26 May 2010 - 12:05

Welcome to the Gunslinger Girl boards! I hope you like it here! ^_^

The Gunslinger Girl manga got licensed by another company and they're going to reprint the entire series and start selling them in the beginning of next year. Hi - another newbie hatches! 121769
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Wed 26 May 2010 - 14:09

Oh? I missed that! Good old Seven Seas! Hi - another newbie hatches! Icon_cheers
But you know what? Imma stick around here for a while anyway and see what goes down. Smile
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 26 May 2010 - 14:31

As admin; I give you a hearty welcome and herby dub you...Axel.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Wed 26 May 2010 - 14:50

Axel? As in Foley? Awesome! Or even as in double- that'd be cool too! As would おどる火の風 - although I've never taken any interest in Kingdom Hearts.

So, you keep those bananas!
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 26 May 2010 - 15:00

mistersaxon wrote:
But you know what? Imma stick around here for a while anyway and see what goes down. Smile

By all means, always glad to see a new member. Welcome...hope you enjoy!
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Wed 26 May 2010 - 15:38

Hey there saxon, welcome to the void. Hope you have a blast here.

About the whole 'scanlations is theft' well its a yes and no situation. For one, we are releasing our scanlations under a fair use policy. IOW: we aren't making any money from this.

Sure we impose a certain system for who gets to download them from the forums here as soon as they come out before we start uploading to places like Mangafox. This system has two functions/reasons to it.

Firstly: Beta readers, the members here kind of function like that. Its been a few times already that some of the members actually pointed out tiny mistakes. We make sure to correct that before uploading it elsewhere.

Secondly: We had a lot of people register here just to nab the scanlations when they came out. For the betterment of the forums, we decided to form a so called "No Lurker" policy. IOW: you'd have to be a contributing member to the general forums before one would be granted access.

This doesn't compromise the Fair use policy in anyway because no money is involved.

As for copyright infringement: To my knowledge there is no license in existence for the English release of Volumes 7 through the latest. And again no theft is being made by taking the Japanese original and simply translating it, because Language isn't fully accounted for in Copyrights. (just to say, Germany often translates movies for broadcasting across their country. They did so with classics like 'Night Rider', 'The A-team' and 'Airwolf')

Until someone actually gets a license with Yu Aida for releasing an official English version of GSG; what we are doing is perfectly legal. And even if someone did have a license for it right now, Well you cant really sue someone for copyright infringement if you don't have any evidence to point at like an actually release of the said copyrighted Material.
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1956

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Wed 26 May 2010 - 15:54

Tommygunner70 wrote:Hey there saxon, welcome to the void. Hope you have a blast here.

About the whole 'scanlations is theft' well its a yes and no situation. [...but...] what we are doing is perfectly legal.

I understand that and then I also feel that even if it wasn't legal it would still be right and fair - copyright laws in the UK and US are archaic and restrictive, usually failing to benefit the content creator in any way. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new releases of GSG when Seven Seas does eventually print them because I love books even if the alternative spine designs will ruin my collection. I'm also looking forward to knowing that I've been able to do "right" by Yu Aida but if Seven Seas hadn't picked up the book rights I wouldn't feel I was doing him "wrong" IYSWIM. I like to think that if he knows a book won't be translated or released in a particular language he'd still be happy to know his story was being told. /IDEAL_WORLD ERROR IN COMPILER: REALISM{} CANNOT BE ZERO <- that always happens. It's a bug I think?

And thanks for dropping by to say "hello"! That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside Smile
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 May 2010 - 15:59

Greetings, Mr. Saxon. I see you found your absence from Cyborg Central to be so boring that you've decided to join and become one with the monster inside, just as the prophecy--

Wait, you found us on Google? In that case, welcome! Glad you found us, and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Wed 26 May 2010 - 20:00

The whole issue of scanlations and the like and their ethical/moral/legal implications really is pretty complicated. If someone were to read it online without the license ever being picked up, an acceptable course of action, they might just not buy it when it is properly released because they have already read through it. Still not sure of my stance on this. Personally, I hardly ever read scanlations or manga online because I really dislike the feel of it, of all reasons.

Anyway, welcome! Good to meet another Etta fan. Great avatar, by the way.
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Wed 26 May 2010 - 20:17

mistersaxon wrote:
I understand that and then I also feel that even if it wasn't legal it would still be right and fair - copyright laws in the UK and US are archaic and restrictive, usually failing to benefit the content creator in any way.

Yeah well the Copyright laws here in holland are fucked sideways too. I mean its legal to download whatever the hell you want even if said downloaded content is Illegal. However, it is considered Illegal to upload or spread/seed said content. When I Torrent, I block the upload speed just for the sake of being able to say "I'm legally downloading pirated stuff". Fucked up system aint it?

@ Godot: I hear ya man. I dunno, I try to buy any and all Anime/manga's I watch online. Sadly Anime and Manga isn't really available enough here in Holland. Heck just tracking down Vol. 1 through six was a living nightmare for me. What bugs me even more is that you'll literally trip over the brainless mainstream shit like Naruto, DBZ and Pokemon. But of the less known stuff, its literally like searching for a needle in a desert.
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1956

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson Wed 26 May 2010 - 20:30

Welcome!

I'm of the mind that if something I like is released in English I will buy it eventually (too poor to justify buying anime/manga now). Will I buy everything I download? No. Let's face it: some dubs just suck. But I will buy more than I would have otherwise so a sort of balance is struck.
theprodigalson
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Wed 26 May 2010 - 20:37

Tommygunner70 wrote:
mistersaxon wrote:
I understand that and then I also feel that even if it wasn't legal it would still be right and fair - copyright laws in the UK and US are archaic and restrictive, usually failing to benefit the content creator in any way.

Yeah well the Copyright laws here in holland are fucked sideways too. I mean its legal to download whatever the hell you want even if said downloaded content is Illegal. However, it is considered Illegal to upload or spread/seed said content. When I Torrent, I block the upload speed just for the sake of being able to say "I'm legally downloading pirated stuff". Fucked up system aint it?

@ Godot: I hear ya man. I dunno, I try to buy any and all Anime/manga's I watch online. Sadly Anime and Manga isn't really available enough here in Holland. Heck just tracking down Vol. 1 through six was a living nightmare for me. What bugs me even more is that you'll literally trip over the brainless mainstream shit like Naruto, DBZ and Pokemon. But of the less known stuff, its literally like searching for a needle in a desert.

Yeah, add to that the fact that the anime is a very expensive hobby. I'm shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for DVDs, and that's not even taking into account the other stuff like figurines. Plus, I'm only buying the pretty obscure stuff like GSG and Paranoia Agent that I can parade around as art Hi - another newbie hatches! 7278 , and I'm still in the hundreds of dollars for anime expenses. Try convincing someone that has already gone through a series to cough up $50 or so for something they're done with. They're killing the industry and are definitely on the wrong side of the fence here, but I can see how ridiculous crossing over sounds with this kind of price tag attached.
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Five_X Wed 26 May 2010 - 22:31

Hi - another newbie hatches! Ilyaforumintroduction

Hey, maybe you're another person I can induct into the Fate/Stay Night fangroup (currently made up of 3 people) here!

As Ilya up there says, welcome to the forum!
Five_X
Five_X

Male

Forum Posts : 695

Fan of : Rico!

Original Characters : Jessi, Ed, Ralph and Mal

Comments : President of the Ilya Fanclub.

Registration date : 2009-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Thu 27 May 2010 - 0:06

Welcome to the forum! What got you interested in GSG?
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Thu 27 May 2010 - 3:10

KodokuRyuu wrote:Welcome to the forum! What got you interested in GSG?

Good question! And the answer is simple enough: I accidentally created a fratello in another RP I was writing and then got asked to join a GSG RP and repurposed my team for that. Then I thought I should really read up about the subject, bought the first series on DVD, watched that, loved it, bought the books - got vols 2-6 for my birthday so I've literally just finished reading them - failed to find a R2 DVD of 'Il Teatrino' so watched a wholly illegal copy online and now will HAVE to buy it (*sigh*) and now I'm here in ur forumz and reading 7-11 online (currently in Vol 10/Ch52).

Like I said, simple.

Oh yeah - the other RPs were / are over in MegaTokyo forums - the very exciting "GunslingerGirl: America" thread and the wholly chaotic "MT Campfire Stories" (over 8 threads now not counting discussions) for those of a curious outlook. I'm looking forward to reading the RP here and seeing how that all works Smile
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela-Chan Fri 28 May 2010 - 17:31

Hey there! Nice to have you around ^__^

Do you mean this Saxon by any chance?
Hi - another newbie hatches! Harold-saxon

Anyways I hope you´ll have fun around here!
Triela-Chan
Triela-Chan
The Sakurazukamori

Female

Forum Posts : 786

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire

Original Characters : ääähm...

Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Fri 28 May 2010 - 18:00

Oh yeah - the other RPs were / are over in MegaTokyo forums - the very exciting "GunslingerGirl: America" thread and the wholly chaotic "MT Campfire Stories" (over 8 threads now not counting discussions) for those of a curious outlook

I used to follow MegaTokyo quite closely, but the irregular update schedule made it difficult to fix it as a habit, and so it slipped out of my regular comics check-up. I used to be fairly active on the forum there as well, but it soured on me after a while as it came across as rather cliquey. An attempt to ask an innocent question about Sakura Wars on the visual novel forum was completely stonewalled by members unwilling to condescend to the great unwashed - they might as well have gone "lol n00b" - and when someone told me that I shouldn't be allowed to comment on story-discussion threads because I wasn't an accredited "Tohyologist", I pretty much went "screw this noise" and gave up on the place.

That was a couple of years ago, however - do you feel that the atmosphere's different in your own experience? I might head back there if it's a lighter place now.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Fri 28 May 2010 - 19:03

Triela-Chan wrote:Hey there! Nice to have you around ^__^

Do you mean this Saxon by any chance?
Hi - another newbie hatches! Harold-saxon

Anyways I hope you´ll have fun around here!

Grrr! HE STOLE MY IDENTITY! I've been mistersaxon online since about 1995 and now all I ever get is "Oh, you must have got your name from the Master!" You see how evil he is? Even without trying!

Actually I've met John Simm and he's a good guy - gave me an autograph and everything. Mind you Elisabeth Sladen was even nicer Very Happy #namedrop=OFF

Robert Frazer wrote:
That was a couple of years ago, however - do you feel that the
atmosphere's different in your own experience? I might head back there
if it's a lighter place now.
Well they have an RP for GunslingerGirl if that affects your opinion Smile There are some forums where people do have a very high opinion of themselves - don't ask for C&C in Creative Writing unless you have thick skin or lots of hankies, for example - but the usual madness of the Story Discussion forums (and the Fanworks) is pretty welcoming on the whole.

The update schedule is still pretty chaotic it has to be said but, you know, some folks only go for the forums.

Last edited by mistersaxon on Fri 28 May 2010 - 19:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I should say - I'll be away for a week now - I'm not ignoring you, I'm having more fun in RL! :))
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring Fri 28 May 2010 - 19:11

Howdy, and enjoy the forum. Hi - another newbie hatches! Icon_biggrin
rusty-spring
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 28 May 2010 - 22:24

Little late on the bandwagon, but I'm out of town and reduced to browsing by iPhone and nabbing the hotel's WiFi but, if a little belatedly: welcome to the madhouse.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 31 May 2010 - 1:15

I just noticed your subtitle for this topic - got to love good old BASIC. Razz
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela-Chan Mon 31 May 2010 - 14:42

mistersaxon wrote:Grrr! HE STOLE MY IDENTITY! I've been mistersaxon online since about 1995 and now all I ever get is "Oh, you must have got your name from the Master!" You see how evil he is? Even without trying!

Actually I've met John Simm and he's a good guy - gave me an autograph and everything. Mind you Elisabeth Sladen was even nicer Very Happy #namedrop=OFF
Sorry Hi - another newbie hatches! 61015 I feel stupid now ^__^... Oh, cool that you met them!
Triela-Chan
Triela-Chan
The Sakurazukamori

Female

Forum Posts : 786

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire

Original Characters : ääähm...

Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghostfriendly Mon 31 May 2010 - 16:09

Hello, hope you enjoy the forums. Is Saxon from the band?
Ghostfriendly
Ghostfriendly

Male

Forum Posts : 149

Fan of : Rico and Triela, Triela and Rico

Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mistersaxon Sun 6 Jun 2010 - 5:45

Hi Ghost! (Uh, you don't mind if I call you Ghost do you?)
Saxon - or mistersaxon - is from the name of my company since I work for myself. It's not the actual company name but it's derived from there.

Hmm - that's pretty dull but in 1995 it didn't seem to matter so very much :O It would be cool if I could say that I used my time machine to go back and pre-empt the Master (and ironic too) but I can't say that sadly..
mistersaxon
mistersaxon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down