Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little idea I have

5 posters

Go down

A little idea I have Empty A little idea I have

Post by SPARTAN 119 Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 1:37

A of fanfic where a person in the real world is transported into the world with of an anime series. Cliche, perhaps even overused, right. But how about this little twist: the person transported into the world is an English speaker with no knowledge of Japanese, but the world of the anime series is the "raw" version, so all the characters speak Japanese! I was figuring I'd make it take place in a series with some sort of life threatening scenario to make it that much harder for the person sent into the anime world.

Hmmmm.... maybe that "impossible pairing" pic featuring Saeko Busujima of Highschool of the Dead would be a good basis for this.

I was also thinking about using Google Translator so the lines of the anime/manga characters are actually written in Japanese, so the reader is as confused as the main character (with footnotes giving translations of course), although that might be a bit much.

Please give opinions.
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

A little idea I have Empty Re: A little idea I have

Post by emperor Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 2:23

If I'm the reader that did't know any Japanese. I won't read your fiction.

Bit of harsh word but it's true because the language barrier is a huge one.
emperor
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1638

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Registration date : 2007-09-09
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 3:11

emperor wrote:If I'm the reader that did't know any Japanese. I won't read your fiction.

Bit of harsh word but it's true because the language barrier is a huge one.
Okay, using Google translator to simulate the language barrier in the story is a bad idea. Even I don't know what I was smoking when I came up with that. Bong hit

But what your thoughts about the concept itself, with just like
119's hypothetical story wrote:Character X said something in Japanese that Main Character didn't understand.
instead of abusing Google Translator to simulate the language barrier?
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KodokuRyuu Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 3:16

SPARTAN 119 wrote:I was also thinking about using Google Translator so the lines of the anime/manga characters are actually written in Japanese, so the reader is as confused as the main character (with footnotes giving translations of course), although that might be a bit much.
Bad idea - you'll just end up with a bunch of junk that sounds stupid to anyone who actually knows Japanese. The common practice amongst webcomic artists is to put the foreign text in angle brackets "<>". I suggest adopting the same practice. Also, if your characters can't communicate at all it will get boring fast, make sure they will have some way to communicate, even if not by speech. You may want to reference MegaTokyo as that is pretty much what the whole story started out as. Good luck with the writing. Good
KodokuRyuu
KodokuRyuu
Resident Translator

Male

Forum Posts : 1237

Fan of : Triela, Beatrice, Silvia

Original Characters : Hulkshire, Yu Aida, Berny & Bea

Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 3:34

Yeah, that's good advice. Use some method to denote when someone is speaking in another language (italics can also work, although I often use that for thoughts myself). If you don't want the reader to know what's being said, just make note of the character whose perspective you're writing from hearing something that he can't understand. (So when you want the reader to know more than the character, use the foreign speech indicator, if you want them just as in the dark, just say "so and so said something he couldn't understand").

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 18 Jan 2010 - 10:55

A hell of a long time ago some friends of mine did something like that, except that anime characters started appearing in our world.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down