Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day

+3
LoC978
Probit Return
sasahara17
7 posters

Go down

Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day Empty Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day

Post by sasahara17 Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 2:26

GROUNDHOG DAY

Okay, now that the Idea generation part seems to have moved along well enough, lets do some in depth discussion on this thing. As an experiment, I’ve started an entirely new board to measure just how far we can break down one idea and to see just how it can evolve over time. To start off with, the ‘Groundhog Day’ idea!

An introduction

For the uninitiated, the ‘time loop’ scenario, more commonly known as a ‘groundhog day’ scenario after the movie of the same name, is a story in which one or more characters are ‘trapped’ in a never ending ‘time loop’ where the same events occur endlessly unless something is done to break it. Only the protagonist character(s) are aware of the loop and therefore are the only people able to influence the sequence of events that occur.

---

Details;

With any ‘groundhog day’ scenario, there are several key factors, all of which are listed and discussed below.

---

Why is it always me?

Often in stories such as this, only one character is able to ‘see’ the time loop and thus influence the events within until the loop is broken. However there have been stories and games out there that allow the initial hero to ‘free’ others from the time loop by accomplishing certain tasks, eventually creating a ‘party’ that works together to finally solve the puzzle and break the mobieus.

Personal thoughts;
Personally, I’m all for a ‘party’ of heroes trying to solve the time loop, if only because the more the merrier (seeing Jose spaz out when Jean starts taking orders from oh so sagely Rico will be ROFL). However this number should be very limited, no more than five people, and possibly restricted to a ‘class’ of people. Too many would result in too many variables, defeating the purpose of ‘stopping the endless days’.

Oh, it’s a lovely day… again.

The ‘time loop’ is traditionally a single day (Groundhog Day), at which at midnight time ‘resets’ back to the beginning of the first day. However in a multi chapter fanfic, it would be preferable to pick a longer alternative so that the protagonist(s) have more possibilities to explore though their actions. Too time lengths can be seen in various media, such as three days (Zelda: Majora’s Mask) or five days (PS2 Game I can’t remember). There is even one fanfic out there where time is ‘segmented’ (Naruto; Chunnin Exam Day) where accomplishing a certain objective ‘extends’ the time loop for that repeat.

Personal thoughts;
Three days is my personal pick, mainly because there is enough time for the protagonist to create a huge set of varying situations but not too long before things get out of hand. Remember, there are things that can happen off screen that will be integral to the puzzle, and each protagonist can only be at one place at a time.

No, you can’t take it with you.

One problem with time constantly repeating for the protagonist is that all the accomplishments are lost every single time the loop ‘resets’. Physical gains and material wealth don’t carry over. It’s basically starting back from square one. However, in certain games, there have been things that can be ‘carried over’. Now the question is, should you let the protagonists carry over stuff? And of yes, how exactly is this going to work?

Personal thoughts;
This is one thing I would advise against. My personal opinion is that the puzzle of the loop is one that must be solved by using one’s own intelligence and reasoning. Adding a physical aspect adds an entirely new dimension to the story, and may take away fom the, must use brains not brawns bit.

Bored, Bored, BORED

OOC behavior at it’s finest. Living the same day(s) over and over again will eventually build up stress levels. Eventually our protagonist(s) are going to try something extreme they would not normally do if time was flowing normally. Armed with the knowledge all your naughty behavior will be undone a the next reset, what devious behavior will our protagonists undertake?

Personal thoughts;
One of the most fun things about ‘groundhog day’ fics is watching a normally reserved protagonist completely lose it. Armed with the foreknowledge of what will happen next, it is possible for the protagonist to create elaborate pranks that will completely mess up the lives of those still trapped by the time loop. And hey, death isn’t what it used to be…

Look! It’s the Exit!

Now, our poor protagonist(s) are stuck in an endless number of repeating days. Yet there is a way out, but they just have to realize it is there, then realize that there is a way to get there. This solution to the puzzle can be anywhere from the ridiculously mundane to a monumental feat that only someone who has lived through countless resets can accomplish.

Personal thoughts;
Like I keep saying, most of these time loops are like puzzles that can only be solved with repeating the loop multiple times to explore all possibilities until the solution can be attained. Because of this, I’d opt for the ‘impossible mission’ option, where the protagonist(s) accomplishes a feat so amazing, when the loop ends they will go down in history for their legendary deed.

Feel free to add other stuff to this list.

---

Now onto some sample plots. Two of them are old, one is new.

---

Idea; Christiano’s Mansion Siege Day

Recapping the plot, Pinocchio relives the days leading up into the Christiano mansion siege over and over again. His goal is to emerge from the mansion alive, with no fatalities on either side. Yes, that means the first time he rescues Christiano by putting Triela down like a mad dog didn’t quite work. You have to treat the lady with respect you barbarian.

Yes, he will propose to Triela in one reset.

---

Idea; Unwinnable Mission

Claes has three days to stop the Social Welfare Agency Trio (huh, that actually spells SWAT?) from going out and getting themselves killed in a well planned ambush. Unable to leave the SWA premises, she must somehow influence the preparations that led up to the mission itself to somehow make that failed mission a successful one with no casualties.

I’d expect lots of experimentation on her part, with different outcomes resulting in different casualties. For instance one set of events can result in only Ferro and Jean getting shot, comparatively good when compared to if she had not acted. In another Claes’ actions result in Hillshire being the casualty, except his ‘injury’ is a model car wrapped in a condom… never mind. Anyway, the slightest injury will reset the puzzle.

Alt Idea; Have the bedridden Angelica be the one who has to save her ‘younger sisters’. Hang on Triela, Onee-chan is coming to save you!

---

Idea; Rico Croche and Dating101

RICO is tasked with helping JEAN win Ferro’s heart over the course of one Sicilian holiday. However, Rico being Rico, she probably won’t have a clue on where to start with this monumental problem (How will she even know what she’s supposed to do anyway?). Jean is going to get slapped by Ferro, many, many times…

---

I'd expect the Pino one to be the most discussed since the other two are really vague, but that's just my expectation. I half expect this to take off and crash without even getting more than ten replies Smile. But hey, lets give this a go shall we?
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day Empty Re: Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day

Post by Probit Return Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 13:53

Well, in typical Groundhog's Day style, whichever one you choose (the Pino one is looking really intriguing) needs to have the main character spaz out and kill him/herself many many times. In addition to leaving with no casualties, maybe Pino needs to realize the error in his ways and leave his life of killing behind.
Probit Return
Probit Return
That One Guy

Male

Forum Posts : 653

Fan of : Stuff

Original Characters : Adrianna, Nero, Abigail, and now Luca

Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day Empty Re: Idea Discussion Thread; Groundhog Day

Post by sasahara17 Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 15:24

Well, yeah, the killing yourself bit becuase you think you've lost it is quite mandatory. The question is , how do they go about doing it? I'd imagine after stabbing himself in the head several times from the last sixty repeats and having no result, Pino is going to start trying something... different.

If memory serves me right, Bill Murray kidnapped tha ground hog and drove it, and himself, off a cliff.

Perhaps he'd try to dp the same with Triela? tying her up, putting her in the passenger seat and driving full speead off the nearest sheer drop he could find while she's screaming at him and in terror.
Imagine him smiling at her after she asks if he's insane and going "It's all right, I'm just going to free myself from this world." or something to that effect.

Damn, that'll be fun.
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 18:34

Sasahara wrote:If memory serves me right, Bill Murray kidnapped tha ground hog and drove it, and himself, off a cliff.
He even let the little bugger hang onto the steering wheel.
"Don't drive angry! Don't drive angry!"
Gawd, I love that scene.
LoC978
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 19:56

I wonder how Triel's reaction would be like?

Triela, tied up with innurable metal chains in the passenger seat; "What are you doing! That's a sheer drop!"

Pino; "So it is. Took me a while to find one this tall." *Floors acclerator*

Trilea; "You're insane!!!"

Pino; "You're about to die next to someone as handsome as myself. Aren't you happy, darling?" *flashes smile*

Triela; "...!" *most horrfied face evar*

Car flies off the edge of a fifty foot plundge.

Triela; "... if I survive this, I'll never complain about Hillshire's driving ever again..."

Big explosion... RESET.
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama Wed 16 Apr 2008 - 23:36

Pino: It's the same things your whole life. "Clean up your room.", "Stand up straight.", "Pick up your feet.", "Take it like a man.", "Be nice to your sister.", "Don't mix beer and wine, ever.". Oh yeah, "Don't drive on the railroad track."

\\Drives on the Rail Road Track

Franco: Eh, Pino. That's one I happen to agree with...

Bill Murrary electrocuted himself, jump off a clock tower, got run over, poisoned himself, got shot, and many other things before he moved on.

So the question is what is Pino's goal? Bill Murray fell in love, changed his out look, and decide to change residence. What will Pino do?
Wileama
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 4:03

Well, obviously Pino would have to...

(1) Make Triela Hartmann fall madly in love with him
(2) Help Christiano make a successful getaway
(3) Ensure Franco and Franca are breathing by the end of the seige
(4) Overthrow Jean Croche as Italy's #1 most desirable bachlor

And all this in the span of the 3 days.

Ever seen that chinese movie where that one guy kept sending himself back in time to make sure all of his buddies survived, and ran around like a mad chicken over and over again cause the distance bwetween his buddies was very far and time between the events was very small?

*Imagines Pinocchio spriniting like crazy between six seperate locations while rattling off his to do list*

Pino (counting off his fingers) - "Okay, I've bought the vintage wine for Triela's date, sabotaged all of Franca's cars so she can't get herself killed trying to rescue me, bought an Aston Martin that can impress the Father in Law, fed the dogs, planted the smelly underwear in Croche's cuboard and tipped off Woman's Day... that just leaves hiring the Blackwater people for Christiano's place, impressing Victor with my driving skills, booking the honeymoon suite in the Ritz, pay back the loan sharks..."

*Stops in this tracks and sighs.*

Pino - "...forgot to buy the lottery ticket. Here we go again..."

*Takes out knife and stabs himself though the head*

DO AGAIN
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 12:03

You know? Pino could ACTUALLY be proud of something that he finally managed to complete during his free time (like knitting possibly?) and he go:

"YES!!! FINALLY! FINALLY I'VE DONE IT!!"

then he goes off to sleep....

the next day...

What? Where's my... *sees all the materials*

DO AGAIN

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 17:34

I'd disagree with Pinocchio being upset over the fact he'd lose all his progress after every reset (he'd get disheartened after the first few times, then acceptance just sets in).

Becuase he's got so much time on his hands, I'd imagine he'd take his time learning a whole variety of skills. Like for instance, diggiung up people's pasts...

Triela confronts Pino in the Mansion

*Triela whips out shotgun*

*Pino draws... a photo album*

Triela - "...what the hell is that?"

*Pino flashes cocky smile*

Pino - "Well since you asked nicely..."

*opens photo album. Triela lets out a strangled gasp. She is so suprised, she drops her weapons and falls on her behind.*

Pino - "Look! Hillshire's baby photos!"

--One Reset Later--

Franca - "Franco?"

Franco - "Yes Franca?"

Franca - "Pino's... really happy today isn't he?"

Franco - "Guess so."

Franca - "That would explain why he's dancing ballet in his room right?"

Franco "... when did he learn to do that?"
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 20:20

sasahara17 wrote:Pino - "Look! Hillshire's baby photos!"
:lollol: Awesome! :lollol: :yaay: :lollol:
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 20:55

Maybe Pino manages to talk things over with Triela, and they both realize who and what each of them are fighting for. In one variation, after he flips Triela out the window he grips a knife and dives down to impale her screaming, "Live free or die hard!!!" By the way, I hope keeping everyone alive includes that poor butler. There should definitely be a part where Pino walks over to fight Triela stark naked. That'll throw Triela for a loop and we'll get actual fanon confirmation about the size of Pino's *****. I really hope someone writes this story. Hell, maybe even multiple someones, so that we get different takes on the whole scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 21:59

sasahara17 wrote:Pino - "Look! Hillshire's baby photos!"
Extra super hilarious.

J the Drafter wrote:There should definitely be a part where Pino walks over to fight Triela stark naked.
HA I can just see it now. Pino walking in with an open bottle of wine, and his birthday suite.

Triela: WHAT THE HELL!

Pino: I'm drunk bitch! [takes a swig from the bottle] Man you, and I would make some sexy kids. We should breed. I mean those ponytails of yours would make such great hand holds while we're going at it. [Begins thrusting his hip, while pretending to hold something in his free hand]

Triela: BURN IN HELL! [pumps shotgun]

\\reset

Pino: [wakes up in bed sober] Man what did I do that time around?!?
Wileama
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor Mon 2 Jun 2008 - 23:52

bought an Aston Martin that can impress the Father in Law,

Awesome!
emperor
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1638

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Registration date : 2007-09-09
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 Tue 3 Jun 2008 - 5:16

Wileama wrote:Pino: I'm drunk bitch! [takes a swig from the bottle] Man you, and I would make some sexy kids. We should breed. I mean those ponytails of yours would make such great hand holds while we're going at it.
Hat's off to you Wil, really.

I had this brilliant followup to the baby pictures, then this made me laugh so hard that I forgot it... wit I just remembered.

--

The Confrontation... Again

*Triela whips out shotgun*

*Pino whips out Claudius*

Pino - "Halt or the bear gets it."

Triela - "!"

*Jaw drops and eyes widen in horror*

*Pino flashes another cocky smile*

Pino - "Well now... you must be wondering how this got here. It's pretty simple actually, I popped into your dorm room, bribed your roomate to keep her mouth shut by telling her about where you hid those famer photos of hers, and borrowed your bear collection."

*Triela drops her shotgun in suprise"

Triela - "w--w-what the hell? You can't be serious..."

*Pino swining Claudius around lazily, enjoying every moment*

Pino - "Oh... but I am. You see, Agustus and his dozen or so brothers are buried underground in a location only I know, with a certain handphone that my lovely bombmaking associate had giv..."

Triela - "S-Stop you fiend! Give them back!"

Pino - "Oh really? So you'll help me then?"

Triela - *whimper*

*Cue the epic chase scene, in which Black Mailed Triela is forced to sit on the sidelines as Pino makes liberal use of his 'hostage' to escape.
Everybody, SWA and 5R alike, make it out alive. Unfortunely, there is but one casualty; Claudius gets blown to pieces by Angie (the only one bad enuff to kill a teddy bear) while trying to stop Pinocchio's escape.
Triela's angished wail could be heared for miles around.
Pino escapes to Vianne, pops a ciggy and a bottle of wine then falls asleep...*

--NEXT DAY--

Pino - "What the hell, even the BEARS must survive?!"
sasahara17
sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 3 Jun 2008 - 9:12

Pino - "What the hell, even the BEARS must survive?!"

Laughing

Next minute he'll be running for Italian president for a day

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama Tue 3 Jun 2008 - 9:51

\\Dies laughing
\\Pissmate revives
\\Laughs some more...

Bear hostages, that's too awesome man!
Wileama
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 3 Jun 2008 - 10:58

Henrietta gets sent back in time and stuck in a time loop ,the time loop in question hovers over the time of Jose picking her to be his cyborg only she wasn't the original choice,and has to do everthing she can to ensure she is chosen by her beloved jose only without him ever finding out about it !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum