Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First human head transplant could happen in two years

+4
boomer_gonz
Thescarredman
Awinnell
Kiskaloo
8 posters

Go down

First human head transplant could happen in two years Empty First human head transplant could happen in two years

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 22 Apr 2015 - 16:16

Somehow I am not surprised it is an Italian doctor who is promoting this. Spin-off from the SWA program? Very Happy

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530103.700-first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-two-years.html#.VTgPOiFVhBd
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

First human head transplant could happen in two years Empty Re: First human head transplant could happen in two years

Post by Awinnell Wed 22 Apr 2015 - 17:41

I think that docs a bit nuts, if all it took to regrow nerves to full function was pumping them full of polyethylene glycol there would be fewer people in wheelchairs,

also transplanted organs don't last forever,10 years is the average for a kidney

in this case it would be your head being rejected, so you would be trapped in a less than functional body with the clock ticking down

as you would only undergo such a procedure because you were already living in a similar state in your own body I can't see the benefit
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

First human head transplant could happen in two years Empty Re: First human head transplant could happen in two years

Post by Thescarredman Wed 22 Apr 2015 - 18:44

Awinnell wrote:I think that docs a bit nuts, if all it took to regrow nerves to full function was pumping them full of polyethylene glycol there would be fewer people in wheelchairs,

also transplanted organs don't last forever,10 years is the average for a kidney

in this case it would be your head being rejected, so you would be trapped in a less than functional body with the clock ticking down

as you would only undergo such a procedure because you were already living in a similar state in your own body I can't see the benefit

People facing imminent death have been known to grasp at some pretty weak straws. Maybe they think a slim chance is better than none. Or maybe they might volunteer for another reason...
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 23 Apr 2015 - 7:00

Sounds like something out of ReAnimator, but then again truth is stranger than fiction.

I can definitely see the results working, at least partially, due to a younger body with a greater mitochondrial count essentially 'healing' the worn down 'head'. However there is the principal of counterfluence capacitance within an impedance ratio.

Meaning that eventually the mitochondrial levels of the newer body will eventually equalize with that of the head. Therefore with this simple electric principle it is safe to say that the head will NEVER become 'young' enough to match the body in which it was made for while also further accelerating the deterioration of the new body.

But hey, a few extra decades is still money well spent...I guess. Razz
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Apr 2015 - 9:01

It's late and I'm to tired to go into details, but I can't even begin to explain just how many ways this is wrong.  Oh and Aniwell, a bit nuts isn't even the half of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Thu 23 Apr 2015 - 13:15

crazyidiot78 wrote:It's late and I'm to tired to go into details, but I can't even begin to explain just how many ways this is wrong.  Oh and Aniwell, a bit nuts isn't even the half of it.

Sounds like primo material for the 'Anime Science' blog.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Apr 2015 - 17:12

Thescarredman wrote:
crazyidiot78 wrote:It's late and I'm to tired to go into details, but I can't even begin to explain just how many ways this is wrong.  Oh and Aniwell, a bit nuts isn't even the half of it.

Sounds like primo material for the 'Anime Science' blog.
hhhmmmm potentially it could be

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Thu 23 Apr 2015 - 21:15

First human head transplant could happen in two years 4049854268_ea9ea81631
There ya go.... dancin\\'
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon Sun 5 Jul 2015 - 11:11

I'm sure there are quite a few politicians who could do with a head transplant.  Wink

Odon

Male

Forum Posts : 482

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Mon 6 Jul 2015 - 17:56

Odon wrote:I'm sure there are quite a few politicians who could do with a head transplant.  Wink

But who'd want to trade?
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon Tue 7 Jul 2015 - 8:58

Thescarredman wrote:
Odon wrote:I'm sure there are quite a few politicians who could do with a head transplant.  Wink

But who'd want to trade?

The mad scientists who thought up this idea, of course.  They always want POWER TO RULE THE WORLD!  MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Odon

Male

Forum Posts : 482

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndist Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:42

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=627612717436057&id=100005620024828

Just...Wow!
Lyndist
Lyndist

Male

Forum Posts : 476

Fan of : Yu Aida

Original Characters : Phong Linh . Silvya SilverFox

Comments : I'm back

Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 22:11

The Nazis and a few other mad doctors did head transplants since the 1930s-40s and the results were the same - paralyzed from the neck down.

This (idiot) doctor thinks that he can cut the spinal cord so thin that he can mate the head and neck together and make neural connections happen. It can't happen as like finger prints and other body systems the neural pathways are so different from person to person that it will be difficult at best to make those connections at best.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 30 Aug 2017 - 13:05

Like I said before this is the biggest hurdle even today with nerve repair.

If you can cool the body( and head for that matter) long enough and in a manner that won't freeze, then it could be possible to stabilize a consistent electrical frequency throughout the nervous system and thus make the process a possibility, but then there's counterfluence capacitance in regards to the battery-like functions of cellular mitochondria which will make the results less than stellar on a physiological level.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum