Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer 2014 Anime

+6
Awinnell
Piero
PolosElite23
boomer_gonz
Alfisti
Kiskaloo
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Summer 2014 Anime - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer 2014 Anime

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 9:43

Well that would be nice, but the man did give us Gargantia last year that featured combat mecha enhanced with pilot-supporting A.I.'s.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 10:44

... fighting pirates.

I always wondered how a Gundam X OnePiece crossover would have worked...

taerKitty

Forum Posts : 1211

Registration date : 2012-01-22
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 13:15

Aldnoah.Zero [Episode 02]

See comments above.

Akame ga KILL! [Episode 02]

This show cannot take itself seriously, so I can’t be expected to, either. I do not plan to actively watch this at the moment.

Futsū no Joshikōsei ga Locodol Yattemita [Episode 02 and 03]

Started to warm up to the show with Episode 02, as Nanako is a fair bit more likable in this episode than the first. However, with Episode 03 it looks to be just a silly, fluff yuri comedy and I find myself not in the mood for that this season so no longer actively watching.

Glasslip [Episode 02 and 03]

P.A. Works + Supernatural = an interested Kiskaloo. The character dynamics could be interesting if played well.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun [Episode 02 and 03]

This one is going to be a favorite. Yes Indeed

Rail Wars [Episode 02 and 03]

Not really bad, to be honest, but the show is 100% a fan service delivery vehicle - be it hot girls or cool trains. And what little story there is primarily exists to serve said fan service.

Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen [Episode 02 and Episode 03]

It's Gundam, but more Gundam 008 than Gundam 080 thanks to the team dynamic. Entertaining enough to keep watching, at least for the moment.

Space Dandy Season 2 [Episode 02]

Like season one, sometimes it will hit and sometimes it will miss, but it will always be interesting.

Tokyo Ghoul [Episode 02 and Episode 03]

Thoroughly enjoyed the ass-whooping Tōka Kirishima delivered on Ken Kaneki, who I generally find to be irritating. If only more shows kicked the crap out of their whangsty male characters. Smile That being said, I can understand his wangst since he has just turned into a cannibalistic monster. That he’s a cross between human and ghoul could be interesting, but I just hope he acts more like Blade than Eren Yeager. Smile

And in surely what is a relief to Alfisti, should he become a ghoul he can at least still enjoy coffee. Incoming!

Significant background development with Episode 03 was welcomed.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 21:18; edited 3 times in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 13 Jul 2014 - 18:15

Rail Wars ep 2 for me was slightly watchable.  This one might be the train wreck of the season, the show I watch to see if they can keep it from being a total bomb.  Last season's expected train wreck was Irregular at Magic High School, but it's still on my watchable list.  Instead, Brynhildr turned out to be the train wreck, about on par with Beyond the Boundary.

Akame ga Kill! - thanks for the warning, Kisk.  I was on the fence about this (and gritting my teeth at the thought of giving it another 22 minutes.)  Punted;

Argevollen - This is my other grit-my-teeth series of the season.  I realize I've become a kitty of very narrow tastes.  One of my pet peeves is that I can't stand most shounen heroes because they're so loud, anger-driven, and overall STUPID.  That was why I ended up drop-kicking Attack on Titan after 11 episodes (that's 5 hours of my life I want back!), and that's what has me not enthused about watching Argevollen / delaying watching Akame.

===

TL;DR: If it wasn't for Aldnoah.Zero and Sword Art Online II, I'd cancel my CrunchyRoll subscription.

taerKitty

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 10:44

Hanayamata [Episode 02]

I expected this to be another “cute girls being cute” kind of show - you know, the one where they spend most of their time as a group drinking tea and eating cakes.

But two episodes in, this looks like it could be much more. The topic of the show - the traditional Japanese dance form yosokai - is interesting. And unlike Golden Time, the director here seems to know what they’re doing and considering the show seems to have a decent budget, that translates into interesting visuals. And yes, the characters are stereotypical, and yet thanks to the strong writing and directing, are more than just visual tropes or cute eye-candy.

Overall, this one is surprising me - in a very good way.

Blue Spring Ride [Episode 02 and 03]

It’s almost like an anti-Kimi ni Todoke and yet I cherish it just as much. And I have a strong emotional resonance to the OP (both the visuals and the song):

That being said, in terms of music, I think I have to give the OP nod to Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun:

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 21 Jul 2014 - 16:32; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 19 Jul 2014 - 10:52

Terror in Resonance [Episode 02]

Probably the most interesting show I am watching this season, though not my favorite.

Tokyo ESP [Episode 02]

I seem to recall Ga-Rei Zero starting out as kind of a silly show, only turning dark and serious later on. If it did, then Tokyo ESP might be following a similar track. But at the moment, the second episode didn't really impress me.

Since this show is being streamed by Funimation, I’ll continue to download it, but for the moment it’s probably one I’ll just squirrel away and try to watch in a batch.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal [Episode 02]

Not a big fan of the new character designs, to be honest. And I do miss the original English dub. Still, it’s Sailor Moon so…

The new transformation sequences suck ass, however. The 3D CG is crap. Bring back the luscious 2D original transformation sequences.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 16:11; edited 1 time in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sat 19 Jul 2014 - 12:39

Aldnoah.Zero episode 3 already had me fist-pumping and saying, "Yes!" out loud.  definitely my fave show so far.

taerKitty

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 19 Jul 2014 - 20:56

Aldnoah's third episode was actually pretty good.  The second wasn't too impressive, but I guess I can give it credit for setting things up for the third.

Kiskaloo wrote:Tokyo ESP [Episode 02]

I seem to recall Ga-Rei Zero starting out as kind of a silly show, only turning dark and serious later on. If it did, then Tokyo ESP might be following a similar track. But at the moment, the second episode didn't really impress me.

The difference between Tokyo ESP and Ga-Rei Zero is that Ga-Rei Zero is a prequel while Tokyo ESP is more of an adaptation.  Ga-Rei Zero was way better than the manga its a prequel to so don't expect Tokyo ESP to be on the same level just because of the mangaka connection.  That being said, I actually enjoyed Tokyo ESP's second episode.

Piero

Forum Posts : 2617

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 2:08

Sorry for the double-tap.  Meant to go back and edit my prior post, but I was so elated after Aldnoah.Zero episode 3 I wanted to post from my phone.  (I won't be doing that again.  Too painful.)

Sword Art Onine II - This is the Shinon show.  Kirito looks to be only along for the ride.  Or, at least that's what it feels like to me after the first 3 episodes.  That said, the female lead is pretty watch-able.  Glasses help.  A lot.  Her de rigeur tragic backstory was decently done, though it seemed a little compressed and convenient. Decent, but flawed, in other words. The whole psychological issues that arose from that are the same - I can see the PTSD, but I'm not sure I can buy the way she lives her life around it.  That said, it's not like I can't believe it, so it's all a net-zero for me.

Aldnoa.Zero - A complete opposite to the ass-pullery that was the end of SAO season 1 & 2.  SAO had its protagonist win because he had enough willpower to transcend the laws of physics.  AnZ has a protag who keeps his cool but isn't the stereotypical 'bad boy'.  He thinks, he plans, he forms hypotheses and then he tests them.  The way the conflict was resolved was sheer genius.  This is how I like my heroes.
Spoiler:

Terror in Resonance - Hulu only has episode 1, so I'm perhaps a few episodes behind the rest of you.  It's not my go-to show of the season (that's Aldnoah.Zero), but it's not bad.  The two male leads are intriguing.  Their backstory seems a bit standard, but that didn't harm my enjoyment of other shows using the same sort of thing.  The female lead is ... well, I'm not sure what to say because she's so protean at this point. If anything, she was the weakest part of the first episode, but not heavily so.
Spoiler:

I still need to watch Rail Wars and Tokyo ESP, but that's another day.

taerKitty

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 12:51

Aldnoah.Zero episode 03 was very good. Very pleased with the tactics employed by the students against Trillram.

Spoiler:

If I had to pick a favorite show right now, I think it would be the second season of Captain Earth. I’m so impressed with the new direction of the show and that Hana Mutou has morphed from just being eye-candy to an ass-kicker first class.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 15:01

I think Aldnoah might have benefited from hinting at the main character's brilliance earlier on.  His turning out to be an observational and analytical genius was a positive development and was part of what made episode three far better than the first two, but it was a bit out of the blue.

Argevellon (Episode 3): I like the series very tactical approach to mech warfare which seems to have survived the introduction of the main character's super prototype.  Speaking of that, there's a theory on Animesuki that as a matter of fact Argevellon can accept other pilots and Jamie is just saying only the main character can use it because she doesn't know how to do a master system reboot.  Razz Given that the show already had the main character got asked to pilot the super prototype because he's a trained pilot I wouldn't be surprised if it had a twist like that.
Blade Dance (Episode 1): I'm starting to think "Zero no Tsukaima wannabe" needs to be its own genre.
Glasslip (Episode 3): I had high hopes for this one since I liked Tari Tari (a previous drama from the same studio) so much, but its kind of hard to judge at this point.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Episode 2): It's decently entertaining, and for a comedy being entertaining is generally the most important thing.
Momo Kyun Sword (Episode 1): In my opinion, overdoing the fan service aspects of a character design can actually make a character less sexy.
Rail Wars (Episode 3): For a show that's generally pretty ridiculous this one can be surprisingly smart on occasion.
Sailor Moon Crystal (Episode 2): In some ways this show is very old school.  On the other hand, the main character's terrified screaming functioning as a sonic weapon is the sort of twist I'd expect from a more modern and self aware magical girl show rather than an old genre-defining title.  Also, its a good thing none of these girls watched Madoka Magica before they met Luna, and if they made Tuxedo Mask the main character this could be a harem series.  Razz  (Runs to avoid being murderized.)
Sagebu (Episode 3): This is as least moderately entertaining.  I like how petty and vengeful the main character is, and I have to give it credit for being the only anime I know of to feature one of these.
Sword Art Online 2 (Episode 3): Sinon's backstory was fairly powerful in the source material and it works well enough here, even if this simplified version seems a bit heavy handed.  Plus next episode should see the introduction of Trap Kirito.  Very Happy

Last edited by Piero on Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 0:08; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 16:05

Piero wrote:I think Aldnoah might have benefited from hinting at the main character's brilliance earlier on.  His turning out to be an observational and analytical genius was a positive development and was part of what made episode three far better than the first two, but it was a bit out of the blue.

The AngryAnimeBitches review blogger also wondered how, out of a Terran population north of 7 billion, only one Japanese teenager figured out how the Martian defense system works, how they find targets, and how to exploit the one weakness in their mecha... 

Maybe it's Inaho whom is the deus ex machina and not Allusia... Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 16:54

Kiskaloo wrote:
Piero wrote:I think Aldnoah might have benefited from hinting at the main character's brilliance earlier on.  His turning out to be an observational and analytical genius was a positive development and was part of what made episode three far better than the first two, but it was a bit out of the blue.

The AngryAnimeBitches review blogger also wondered how, out of a Terran population north of 7 billion, only one Japanese teenager figured out how the Martian defense system works, how they find targets, and how to exploit the one weakness in their mecha... 

Maybe it's Inaho whom is the deus ex machina and not AllusiHe

He only worked out how that one Katafrakht worked , the others will all have different powers I 'll bet, the show will probably be about how he goes about defeating each enemy machines special powers, no doubt with the princesses help after she discovers what a bunch of douchebags her people really are
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 20 Jul 2014 - 17:48

Two words: "Slow down."

That already showed that he had that innate ability to use the surroundings in unexpected ways.  This was just more of the same.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 0:06

Just watched Tokyo ESP episode 2. It's not bad, but much lighter than GRZ. It's definitely Marvel Cinematic Universe-inspired. Of all things, it's tripping my cliched-quote-sensor more than anything else. Still, it's watchable, but I'm now more curious to see how Black Fist ends up part of their merry crew, as is indicated by the jaunty and uppity OP.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 1:34

taerkitty wrote:

That already showed that he had that innate ability to use the surroundings in unexpected ways.  This was just more of the same.

Is that from episode two? Having a character give commands/make suggestions in a chase sequence like that is commonplace. It's not something that leaves much of an impression.

Despite its tendencies towards pulling things out of its ass writing wise, Code Geass hinted at its protagonist's genius by having him earn money beating nobles at chess. Aldnoah could have showcased the main character's genius in the first episode by having him direct other students to a decisive victory over another team in a tactical simulation or something. That way his turning out to be a tactical genius wouldn't seem so out of the blue.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 14:04

So after the refreshingly light load from last season, looks like I am back to the heavy slog for this one with 16 series (though not all will be watched weekly). *faint*

ALDNOAH.ZERO
Ao Haru Ride
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal
Captain Earth Season 2
Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yattemita.Top
Glasslip
HaNaYaMaTa
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
RAIL WARS!
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
SPACE☆DANDY 2
Tokyo ESP
Tokyo Ghoul
Yama no Sasume 2
Yamishibai Season 2
Zankyou no Terror

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 10:44; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Tue 22 Jul 2014 - 20:48

Piero wrote:
taerkitty wrote:

Is that from episode two?  Having a character give commands/make suggestions in a chase sequence like that is commonplace.  It's not something that leaves much of an impression.

For me, I saw them as being chased by a homicidal mech that didn't even need weapons - its whole body was essentially a weapon.  Whatever touches it ceases to exist (Maybe it gets sent to another plane, whatever.  For all intents and purposes, it's gone, so 'destroyed' isn't too far of a stretch.)

Additionally, they're being weighed down by a mech of their own, one that wasn't all that effective when the pilot was conscious, but is now just dead weight they can't jettison because they want to save the pilot.

Telling the driver to 'slow down' isn't even on the top twenty things I would imagine a normal person would think of doing in that situation.

You may see that as normal.  I see that as quite creative.

Piero wrote:Despite its tendencies towards pulling things out of its ass writing wise, Code Geass hinted at its protagonist's genius by having him earn money beating nobles at chess.  Aldnoah could have showcased the main character's genius in the first episode by having him direct other students to a decisive victory over another team in a tactical simulation or something.  That way his turning out to be a tactical genius wouldn't seem so out of the blue.

Again, I see that as quite the opposite.  I don't need to see him win at something to accept he's a tactical genius.  The ability to synthesize on the battlefield that one time was enough.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 0:06

My point is that it felt out of the blue.  I had the impression the main character was more or less an ordinary high schooler and then suddenly he turns out to be this super observant tactical genius who catches all these little details.  And about the only hint of that which I could remember was him catching a glimpse of an incoming missile in episode one.

I didn't remember episode two very well, unlike episode three it did not leave a very positive impression.  Anyhow after reviewing the scene in question it doesn't scream "super observant tactical genius" to me.  "Ballsy" maybe.  Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 9:24

All of the students were undergoing (probably years of) compulsory military training with the Vers as the presumed opposing force, so I didn't see them as "normal" high school students and therefore did not feel my sense of disbelief being overly tweaked by their actions.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 24 Jul 2014 - 18:29

I was talking specifically about the main character. His turning out to be a tactical genius with crazy observational and analytical skills felt out of the blue to me, and I feel it could have been hinted at during practice scenes in the first episode.  The fact that these kids have been trained to pilot highly sophisticated mechs is a whole different issue.  I may think the mechs are waaaay too complicated for a group of average high school kids to operate and maintain but I'm well aware that teenage mech pilots are common in anime.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 24 Jul 2014 - 19:27

Piero wrote:The fact that these kids have been trained to pilot highly sophisticated mechs is a whole different issue.  I may think the mechs are waaaay too complicated for a group of average high school kids to operate and maintain but I'm well aware that teenage mech pilots are common in anime.

Kids just out of high-school maintain fighters and main battle tanks  - heck, they drive main battle tanks. They also operate and maintain complicated electronic and mechanical systems.

The mecha control systems may very well be complex, but if so, that would explain why the kids were trained to operate them. Perhaps the complexity is such that only those with superior aptitude successfully qualify to operate them and therefore the team we're seeing are, again, not "average" high school kids, but trained professionals, even if young.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 20:05

So after watching the first season of Yuma no Sesume [Encouragement of the Climb] before starting the second, I've fallen in love with this series. Its cute, its heartfelt and fun. This may be my favorite of the season, I'm enjoying this one over everything else I've watched so far this season.
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 936

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 26 Jul 2014 - 11:47

PolosElite23 wrote:So after watching the first season of Yama no Sesume [Encouragement of the Climb] before starting the second, I've fallen in love with this series. Its cute, its heartfelt and fun. This may be my favorite of the season, I'm enjoying this one over everything else I've watched so far this season.

I recall giving it a try when it came out in January 2013, but I also recall not finding it interesting.

Which I now wonder why because, having just burned through the first season, I found it quite enjoyable. Aoi Yukimura is adorable and Kaede Saitō reminds me of Claes (but then, what cute dark-haired anime girl with glasses doesn't?). 

And the  theme song is just ridiculously catchy:

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 10:42; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 26 Jul 2014 - 14:19

Updates on a few shows.

Argevellon (Episode 4): At this point it seems that the tension between the necessity of obedience to the chain of command and the importance of doing what one personally feels is right is likely to be one of Argevellon's major themes.  Whether the show's storytelling is good enough to handle that theme is another question.  This latest episode was kind of awkward and clumsy, especially when it was dealing with Jamie and her company.  Some of the stuff that's going on there seems really stupid and cliche.  But on the other hand Jamie's company is so suspicious (obnoxiously so actually) I'm reluctant to take some of what's going on there at face value.
Glasslip (Episode 4): Perhaps there's quite a bit going on in this show under the hood.  But myself and several other posters on another forum seemed to feel this show lacked direction in terms of story.
Rail Wars (Episode 4): Okay i know its a fan service episode.  I can forgive some of the fan service bits.  But there is a reason why on duty security staff wear uniforms.
Sword Art Online II (Episode 4): Trap Kirito for the win!  Smile 
Tokyo ESP (Episode 3): I'm definitely warming up to this one.  It might not be the greatest show ever but its fun.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun continues to be a decently entertaining comedy.  Survival Game Club has been pretty entertaining too although it hasn't had a new episode since my last update.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 8:59

Okay after using my first day off in 2 1/2 weeks to catch up...here we go...

Himegoto
Ep. 1-3

Well the opening sure is cute. sweat In fact I will say that it may be a frontrunner for the 'Moe of the Season' award. Now as for the show...it's starts a bit “off”; but upon the realization that there's a trap in the house, that pretty much sets in the “oh, okay, it's one of those shows” thought process. However the initial reaction is actually not typical of trap-media, so it's actually quite refreshing (i.e. “It feels like I've lost as a woman”). However unlike most series Himegoto seems to be taking the “Cromartie High” route and jam packing as much funny can be done in a few sparse minutes...and it works.

The bite-size episodes however are a true hallmark as the funny would probably go stale should they extend into perv joke after perv joke for a full 20+ minutes. An ecchi series that is not really ecchi and a protagonist that gives as good as he gets endears this series to me. Count me in for the full ride.

Momo Kyun Sword
Ep. 1-2

On a first note; it's usually a bad thing when you watch a new series and automatically start with a bunch questions. Like...'Why does she have three spirit animals as friends?' 'If she grew up in this village; why the hell isn't she wearing the same clothes or at least something similar?' 'Why does this feel like a Sailor Moon ripoff with a historical myth vibe?' The ecchi itself also seems to be there because “fuck it, why not” and the action itself is pretty much standard cookie cutter exposition and to be honest the best thing about this show is the Ogres, generic though they may be. Though some might call me out on this because I liked Manyuu Hikenchou; however, in my defense Manyuu Hikenchou had likable characters, a translatable plot (though told through a bit(okay...a lot) of ecchi), and fight scenes that looked like fight scenes.

Although I haven't read the light novels, I can tell that the 'write by committee' approach is making this into a quick cash-in ecchi fest that uses an old Japanese folk tale to garner a sparse bit of legitimacy. After two episodes I just don't see this growing in context, depth, or anything else for that matter. Count me out for the rest of the series.

Sailor Moon Crystal

Ep. 1-2

After watching the first two episodes...well...and this may be the nostalgia talking...mostly. The thing is that I definitely don't hate the series..but I don't particularly love it either. The writing seems to be tweaked a bit adding a little more depth. The characters look a bit older (as in they actually look like their going to High School), which is a good thing making the lengthy transformation sequence(s) a LOT less awkward. sweat The story seems to be moving along fairly quickly, a tad bit quicker than the old series in fact. My sole gripe though is solid and it's a big one, at least for me. Rarely seen, but never missed; the series seems to suffer from “too much animation”. In particular, the HD-CGI transformation sequences just seem...off...as in they don't fit in. It can be a good thing though at times. For example, in episode 2 it almost looks like Usagi threw Luna at the baddie. ROTFL

Despite it's huge flaw, the series has endeared itself to me and I do believe I will watch. However I'm putting this one on my EOSM (End of Season Marathon) list.

Space Dandy 2
Ep. 1-3

Okay, three episodes into the new Space Dandy season and I'm REALLY enjoying it. The episodes themselves are not only just as mad cap crazy entertaining, but I've also noticed that this season seems to be taking a much more serious approach to the storytelling. Whether it be looking at the consequences of multiple Dandy's, the rather macabre tone of 'The Ukeleleman”, or the imminent destruction of an entire rare alien species; the episodes are having a bit more depth and development in the characterization of Dandy and the universe surrounding him.

The hits just keep on coming with this series and I hope for more to come. With more Dandy awesomeness(yes, it's a word, MS Word spellchecker says so); count me in for the long haul.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 27 Jul 2014 - 12:20

Kiskaloo wrote:
taerkitty wrote:Aldnoah Zero - This is currently my "week delimiter" show.  That's the show by which I mark the beginning of the week's worth of anime.  Why?  Because this is the show that I will anticipate most during the interim.  By episode 2, ee have some character angst already, and it's not wangst like in some other shows (*cough*AoT*cough*).  It was exciting, it was well-paced, and it actually had me caring about some of the characters.

I agree it's one of the better shows so far, but considering that Earth's military is completely outclassed and useless against the Martians, you know that there will have to be some super Gundam class battle mecha at a secret research facility in Japan that Inaho Kaizuka is going to stumble across and be made the pilot of to single-handedly take on the Martians.  sweat

I stand by my belief that the United Forces of Earth are so comprehensively outclassed by the Vers Empire on a tech level basis that something has got to give because clever tactics, bravery and spunk are just not going to be enough to last 24 episodes, IMO.

Based on Episode 04, I am guessing Slaine Troyard will be granted a Kataphrakt - or he will steal one - and will then defect to the UFE once he discovers that Princess Allusia is with them in order to keep her safe (and because he loves her). I'm also guessing that combined with Inaho Kaizuka's tactical prowess, that will help the UFE rally against the Vers. I would also not be surprised if the UFE reverse-engineers Slaine's Kataphrakt to improve their own mecha to allow them to better survive combat.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 28 Jul 2014 - 14:55

Akame ga Kill
Ep. 2-4

The second episode opens up with some backstory exposition and eventually gets juxtaposed into probably one of the funniest roll calls I've seen in a while. The character of Tatsumi however is a difficult one to unlock, mainly because he alone among the main characters apparently can see the objective nature of Night Raid and their task; yet he also harbors a strong sense of objective morality. Unfortunately this is only glossed over in the third episode and completely unmentioned in the fourth. A shame considering that Tatsumi struggling (even slightly) with the prospect that what is the only rational discourse is the least moral one, would've made for some great storytelling.

The action scenes are apt and the characters are thoroughly likable, but there's something just missing from the overall narrative of the story that I can't quite put my finger on. The intrigue has me set for one more episode. Hopefully the series will find what it is in there.

Aldnoah Zero
Ep. 2-4

The second episode continues where the first left off which is kinda refreshing considering the fast track approach most series these days are taking. A full scale invasion is under way and the Earth Forces are no match, no surprise there. The character lead, Inaho, is an interesting in the likes of 'Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass'. A prodigy who's time has finally come, reluctantly though it may be. However, just as Kisk mentioned, the deus ex machina of Inaho being a tactical genius is going to get real stale real quick unless the over-arching conspiracy plot comes full circle to back it up. Without something to coincide with that, then the predictability of the narrative will turn me off.

The characters are lively and the intrigue is solid, but without some significant progression, I don't see this show being anything special. Still going to give it one more episode to show me that something special.

-more to come-
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 30 Jul 2014 - 15:37

Rail Wars
Ep. 2-4

Continuing where the last episode left off, I see probably the cutest Folger's commercial that never did get made. sweat Also the team seems to be growing tighter while still maintaining there individual aspects. One thing that begs mention though is that I actually notice a lot of English-speaking extras currently. However, the great thing about this is how they're portrayed speaking English is just fucking adorable. So much that it gets a laugh out of me every time. So far this seems to be the most 'slice of life' centered series of my lot. Not necessarily a bad thing, but while the group themselves become tighter knit, the story seems to be prone to stalling at times. Also I'm calling it here; Haruka Komi may have dem boobs, but Aoi Sakurai has OMG DAT ASS. Incoming!

While the characters are great, likable, and full of potential; the narrative of the story seems to be going nowhere fast. One more episode before a decision on continuing, but here's to hoping something happens.

Argevollen
Ep. 2-4

Starting with episode 2, we see some standard plot progression and character development which is a nice change of pace. One thing I also noticed in the second episode is the emergence of set pairings, which is a device I've not seen in some time. It immediately sets in the viewers mind a tone of 'never mind that, it's not what this is about'. Episode 3 opens up again with another plot device I haven't seen in a while. With the contact between Jamie and Tokimune becoming ever increasing, the rest of the cast seems to concede to the “yup, we're boned; so let's go ball out” archetype. Also it is in this episode that we get to see how the mechs are set up with their actual actual weapon placements...and this is where I start to 'squee'. Judging by the mech setups and the tactics employed, I do believe I have found “Front Mission: The Anime”. Also, if you don't know what Front Mission is , then I suggest you get a DS(if you don't already have one), go and buy it, and then revel in it's awesomeness. It's like 5 bucks used at Gamestop right now(the game, not the DS).

With my fanbone stroked and a solid narrative to boot, I see this series as something to look forward to. With that, I'm punching this clock till the end of shift.

Sabagebu
Ep. 2-4

The series continues with more of the same, and thank the heavens for that. The secondary character get a bit more fleshing out and of course continued survival games are always a plenty regardless of the situation. The announcer guy returns and delivers again with pure LOLZ-y goodness and more than a few 4th-wall breaks. Although some might consider this many in a series to be a bit annoying, this is in no way like the 80's TMNT cartoon show. Here they fit and happen with the right comedic timing firmly in place. The wackiness of the show continues though through the varied nature of the survival games themselves ranging from 'Natto Survuval' to a “Diet Battle”.

The best way I can describe this series is “Full Metal Panic!?” meets “School Rumble”. So on that note, I'm signing up for the full ride.

Tokyo ESP
Ep. 1-3

Ooookay...so psychics want to take over the world and they decided to start with Tokyo. One thing that made me laugh was the 'existence' of a “Paranormal Disaster Countermeasure HQ”. Well, I mean with Godzilla coming in to fuck shit up about every 10 years or so, of course they would have such a division. Incoming! Seriously though, the series starts off big, with the first episode being particularly interesting in that we get plenty of exposition into the series antagonist, but only a glimpse in the way of the series protagonist. Episode 2 gives us a little backstory into the protagonist which I suppose makes u for the grandiose attention that the antagonist's received. With episode 3, we have even more backstory, but with a bonafide Ghostbusters reference, I shit you not.

Although the series is taking more than a few strange turns here and there, I'm gonna stick around to see where this goes.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 31 Jul 2014 - 1:04

Boomer, the "Paranormal Disaster Countermeasures HQ" as well as a bunch of the characters in the first Episode of Tokyo ESP are from another anime series called Ga-Rei Zero.  The reason there are so many Ga-Rei Zero cameos is because Ga-Rei Zero is a prequel to the manga Ga-Rei, which was created by the same mangaka as the Tokyo ESP manga.  Basically a lot of the stuff in Tokyo ESP's first episode was the staff trying to cash in on a vaguely related property's popularity.  Heck, even the decision to use an In Media Res beginning was probably made because Ga-Rei Zero began In Media Res.

Personally, I think the first episode of Tokyo ESP may have been trying a bit too hard to evoke Ga-Rei Zero, though as a huge fan of Ga-Rei Zero I'll admit to having a bit of a nerdgasm over some of the unnecessary cameos.  sweat

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Thu 31 Jul 2014 - 1:13

Alright, might as well...

Yama no Susume:

I looovvveee it. I love the characters and the story. Its cute, its entertaining, and its fun. Hinata is just one of those characters I just really like, Aoi is frikking cute. Kokono is like a younger version of Mugi-chan of K-On! in some respects. All and All I'm lovin' it!

Glasslip:

Its interesting. Very interesting. However, its on the edge. With all this "close-friends-that-like-each-other" drama going on, its really starting to turn me off. I keep watching to see if it gets better, but as for now...not enjoying it all that much. I may end up dropping this.

Sword Art Online II

A-1 isn't reviving my love for the series like the first few episodes of SAO did. I don't know, at the moment it feels like the second half of SAO and SAO II are some kind of fanfiction. I'm having trouble focusing or taking it seriously. I'm afraid I may drop this one as well and get my "Trapped-in-a-MMO" fix from Log Horizon entirely when it comes back for its second season.

Aldnoah Zero:

This was the one I looked at what everyone was saying and went "I'll try this". I don't regret it, I'm really enjoying this one. Good story, good characters, (so-far) good plot. Will wait before I say great for any of those because you never know what could happen (I'm looking at you Sword Art Online). This is defiantly a keeper.

Captain Earth:
Summer 2014 Anime - Page 2 I_love_it_BIG_by_IloveItplz 
I really like Captain Earth. Its awesome. More plz.

Rail Wars:

A bit too...fanservicey for me? I'm still enjoying it so I'll watch it. Its not going to receive my top marks this season, but its a decent show. I really like the characters, but I'm starting to treat the show as a Slice-of-Life with occasional action. So...I've started to care less about the plot...which I think is bad. I may keep watching for the characters though. I find Sakurai immensely amusing.

Sabagebu!:

Yeah yeah. I started it and I think its hilarious...with my "WTF IS THIS!!!" meter is at max, we'll see where this goes...As weird as this is...I can't stop watching...

Summer 2014 Anime - Page 2 RE6l1FL

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun:

Suki! Its great, currently battling it out with Yama no Susume for my favorite of this season. Excellent show, I love every episode and the characters are great and hilarious. The one about the mixer was great...Nozaki dragging Sakura to the bathroom to talk about what Mikorin was doing. I lost it. Great show.
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 936

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Fri 1 Aug 2014 - 10:39

Space Dandy
Ep. 4

Only Dandy can turn a search for more money into a tribute to the high-school themed musical. With more cliche's than a Michael Bay film , this episode delivers on both hijinks and craziness. I can't really tell if it's an homage to school-themed musicals (i.e Grease/Crybaby) or any of the 80's High School/College flicks (i.e Weird Science/Real Genius), but for all I know it could be both. As usual though, Dandy gets caught up in the scene and forgets why he was there in the first place.

A solid episode full of laughs and 'wut's at the same time. Already dialled in for the full ride and I expect more Dandy goodness.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 4 Aug 2014 - 19:39

My personal Top Five of this season:

1) Blue Spring Ride
2) Encouragement of Climb Season 2
3) HaNaYaMaTa
4) Captain Earth Season 2
5) Space Dandy Season 2
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sat 9 Aug 2014 - 12:51

Let's go here we go let's go!!

Himegoto
Ep. 4-5

The trap hijinks ensue as Hime is forced by the student council to pose for the Art Club and then gets put through what can only be described as an “extreme study session” taught by the Student Council themselves. With an occasional fourth wall break, this show is pure comedy gold. As I've said before the short episodes only serve to enhance the funny and make for bits and pieces of progression, teasing the viewer further on into the show.

I'm already dedicated for the full run of this show, but to make it clear, although it does deal with ecchi themes I have yet to see anything particularly ecchi aside from the rare panty-shot. I understand the core subject of the humor may not be for everyone, but this truly is one of the funniest shows I've seen in quite some time.

Akame ga Kill
Ep. 5

Here we have a bit more story progression, more elaboration on character motivations (especially that of the adorable Sheele), and also a firm grasp of who the antagonists are. Also we learn a bit more on exactly what the Imperial Arms are and what they do. As far as story progression goes, I would say it retains the slow pace that it has maintained for the first four episodes. The foreshadowing of future conflicts is in fact interesting, but the intrigue doesn't hold up when faced with the slower pace of the overall story.

Though a bit subverted, the story progression is solid and filled with just enough intrigue to keep my interest. However, the slow pace becomes more annoying than enticing. Therefore, I'm reserving this series for an end of the season marathon.

Aldnoah.Zero
Ep. 5

Here we are again, or as I like to say “Second verse, same as the first”. :/ Uniquely, this episode actually focuses a lot more on the conspiracy within the Vers Empire more so than it does on the struggle on Earth with the Terrans. Granted, the sole fight scene was entertaining; I felt that it more had to do with filler exposition than any juxtaposition into the overall narrative. More so than anything else, the plot continues to bank on clever tactics and the oh hey, look at that convenience plot devices that seem to drag out as opposed to continue any further embellishment of the story.

This series is quite entertaining and a show that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of both mecha and alien invasion plots. For me however, I can't get over the possibility that the story will further degenerate into predictable exposition. For that, I'm calling it quits with episode 5.

Argevollen
Ep. 5

Front Mission...erm...I mean...Argevollen continues where the last episode left off. Unlike most series though, this one has characters that continue to get more depth with each episode. In particular, the characters of Tokimune and Jamie play off each other so well that whenever they interact I sometimes forget that I'm watching anime. Not to mention that this series really comes into it's own with this episode as a bit of intrigue arises as the brass seems to have a firm distaste for  Ukyo Samonji and his 8th Independent Battalion.

I'm already dialled in for the full ride, but I urge those who haven't seen Argevollen to give it a try. It has a solid balance between mech action, character progression, and plotline development.

Rail Wars
Ep. 5

It's hard to say this for a show I admire, but it appears that the show is slowly turning into a fan service piece with the sudden emphasis on Aoi's breasts and gratuitous exposition on Haruka's 'endowments'. Even more so is the apparent love-triangle developing between Naoto, Aoi, and Haruka. This is more like something you would see in a shoujo piece, but with the series itself being more historic shonen it feels utterly out of place here. Despite this though, this series succeeds as more of a 'slice of life' piece with just enough action to keep it interesting.

This isn't normally the kind of piece I would normally go for as a part of my “never waste time/money/effort on anything that doesn't know what it is” rule. However, despite it's flaws I'm going to sign up for the full ride if for nothing else than that bitchin' closer and of course...DAT ASS. Incoming!

Sabagebu
Ep. 5

Nothing much to say here, except that this shit is fucking bananas and God Bless it for that. Despite this being more or less Momoka's story, none of the other characters ever feel left out in any way. Another thing to mention is that much like Full Metal Panic!?, the action of the series blends seamlessly with the narrative of the story. As always, the announcer delivers in the hilarity with such crystal clear comedic timing precision that I begin to pine for such a thing to be had in current American programming (sorry to the fans, but Big Bang Theory just doesn't cut it for me).

Already signed on for the full ride, but I implore those who had earlier written off this show to give it a second look. It is a very pleasant surprise in the world of blandness when it comes to comedic anime.

Space Dandy 2
Ep. 5

What else is there to say about Space Dandy that hasn't already been mentioned? With just the right amount of action, funny, and especially feels; Space Dandy just straight up delivers in all departments. The secondary protagonists of KT and Meow as always are a part of the show, but never feel like they are forced into any one category or section. While changing focus between episodes, Space Dandy continues to keep the same lively structure without a continuous saga, something quite rare these days.

If anybody hasn't already, I recommend  picking up this series and diving headfirst in the wacked out craziness that is Space Dandy.

Tokyo ESP
Ep. 4-5

Although the last three episodes were great fun, with these two the show starts to come into it's own. The core group that we became somewhat introduced to in the first episode comes together slowly as it adds another member or two. Also we first see the antagonist in a 'shit just got real' moment. Unlike most series these days that either ground out at a snail's pace or move along at lightning quick speed, the story progression of this series is steady like a freight train, but sharp as a razor. In these five episodes, I have yet to consider one of them unnecessary to the plot.

A series that calmly explores a rare “What would you do...?” plotline, Tokyo ESP is a series that seems highly interesting but not overbearingly so. I'm signing up for the full haul with this one.

And with that my final list for the season is complete!!

Boom Boom's watchlist IS...

Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen
Sabagebu!

Rail Wars!
Tokyo ESP

Himegoto
Space Dandy 2

With Sailor Moon: Crystal and Akame ga Kill reserved for marathons.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 10 Aug 2014 - 16:51

Argevellon really came into its own with Episode Six, and Aldnoah Zero's sixth episode also addressed some of its issues by featuring a smarter antagonist and having Slaine step in and save the day when Inaho couldn't. Glasslip has also gotten better with more drama but its not easy to make up for the issues in the early episodes.

Sword Art Online II continues the strong showing it initially surprised me with.  Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Survival Game Club continue to be quite entertaining.  I'm not sure I'm enjoying Tokyo ESP quite as much as I did earlier in the season when I listed it as a top pick on another forum.

I'm still watching and enjoying Captain Earth.  For some reason I'm also still watching Rail Wars as well.  sweat

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 10 Aug 2014 - 23:46

I know what you mean.  I'm still watching Irregular at Magic High School even though the guy is a god.mode character.  As I said before, I'm watching more because I'm curious to see where they are going with this more than because I actually enjoy the show.

Sword Art Online II is okay.  It's filler.  It's easy to watch and sometimes fun.  The "uncomfortable and unintentional sexual situations" are getting annoying.  Kirito is another god.mode character, but I'm more interested in Shinon.  I'd like to see more Asuna, but that looks to be a forlorn hope.

I'm still enamoured with Aldnoah Zero.  Yes, there are some deus ex moments, some "would you believe it" coincidences.  However, unlike others, I feel that this episode did advance the plot, and in two directions.  We see more of the lieutenant's background, and we finally get a glimmer of why the show is named Aldonoah.

Rail Wars is on my 'when I'm bored' list.  And I'm not yet bored.  Same with Glasslip.  We're five episodes in, and it's just slice of life, and not even that interesting lives.

I recently started subscribing to Funimation.  Boy, does their web site experience differ from Crunchyroll's.  CR is about "here's something you might like."  FM is all about "here's something we want you to buy."  Bleargh. 

But enough of that.  Tokyo ESP starts in media res, in the middle.  We see the Professor and henchmen doing their evil thing, and we see the heroic ESPers doing their heroic thing.  We then flash back, and already it's looking like the flashback is going to overshadow the 'future' (episode 1).  That's bad continuity, people.  Still, it holds my interest.

I may give Argevellon a try once it's over.  Its Attack-on-Titan style "I'm a hero because I rage hard" protagonist really annoys me.  That's why I like Aldnoah so much more - the protagonists actually think.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 12:06

There are far too many shows for me to follow weekly, so for the moment I am only watching my Top Five plus Nozaki-kun and GLASSLIP and allowing everything else to queue for a future marathon.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Wed 13 Aug 2014 - 3:40

Having read through the light novels, I'd not be holding your breath for more Asuna - this section will focus more on Sinon's character development, her growth, and how she interacts with Kirito. I'm not certain I recal QUITE as much romantic tension between the two of them, but perhaps I need to re-read the LN again...

Aldnoah Zero continues to be rather interesting. I'm watching it more for the character development, and hoping that the Vers Empire will turn out to be less trope-tastic than it appears, thus far.

Rail Wars is amusing. Plus, I likes the Choo-choos. *grins* Needs more steam engines!
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 13 Aug 2014 - 13:07

SAO II is two cour and a keychain for the series apparently features Yuuki from Mother's Rosario.  Since Asuna is the main character in that storyline (I like to think of it as the author's apology for sidelining her for two story arcs) we should see plenty of her in the fall.  Wink

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 15 Aug 2014 - 1:25

For those of you who are watching Glasslip, apparently the word that crunchyroll translated as "attractive" in the lines "Please stay attractive" and "It's your fault Yuki isn't attractive anymore" would be more accurately translated as "cool."

Latest episode was still somewhat odd though.

In other news, Argevellon needs to stop trying to do fan service scenes.  They're not the show's strong point.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sun 17 Aug 2014 - 14:05

While still waiting for the "action" in Rail Wars!; I still can't help that the title would've been better used as an 'exaggerated history' piece.

Example: RAIL WARS: 1885

After completing his railway line into North Dakota; our hero, James J. Hill, in a newspaper interview gets asked "What's next?". Mr. Hill looks westward toward the horizon, dramatically points with an almost maniacal grin and says..."The Horizon!"

Most who read the article are amused by it...those who are not include the factions in charge of controlling, maintaining, and above all profiting from the "First Intercontinental Railway"or FIR. Taking measures to publicly ensure that the Mr. Hill will not get federal funding for his 'suspected' railway; Mr. Hill takes offence to this as he never intended to go through with his plans for some time and thus never intended to get federal funding in the first place.

Mr. Hill then sets up shop in North Dakota the year after. The FIR factions then launch a guerrilla war expecting Mr. Hill to back off. What they didn't count on was Mr. Hill's elite ragtag group 'fighting (remember this is anime) mechanics and engineers' led by Mr. Hill himself brandishing a massive sledgehammer that he swings with the greatest of ease.

But the FIR factions will not be denied. The attacks continue with plans both rational and foolhardy to disrupt the plans of the new Great Northern Railway(great in all caps and emblazoned in gold...because no railway had been actually named called 'Great' yet...it was Mr. Hill's idea...) with, but Mr. Hill takes each attack head-on backed by his loyal crew just as batshit crazy as he is.

Now that's what I would call a Rail War. Incoming!
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Sun 17 Aug 2014 - 16:10

Unfortunately for Mr Hill, G.W.R or Great Western Railway came into existence in 1833
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sun 17 Aug 2014 - 18:18

I learned that from the Reverend W.V. Awdry's Railway Stories. Duck was very proud of being a Great Western Railway engine, after all. *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Mon 18 Aug 2014 - 0:26

of all the things you could make an anime about the Railways probably have the most Otaku of Otaku fans !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 19 Aug 2014 - 12:11

Genshiken Nidaime

I’ve decided to stop actively watching most of the episodic shows in favor of just waiting until they finish and I can marathon them. So that leaves pretty much Encouragement of Climb: Second Season, HaNaYaMaTa (like Encouragement of Climb, another show guaranteed to make a Vulcan smile) and Space☆Dandy: Second Season on my weekly watch list.

Driving home from work I had my iPhone on Random and the ED theme for last summer's Genshiken Nidaime - Aoku Yureteiru (アオくユレている) - came on (a rather catchy tune, by the way - definitely adding it to my next Track Day mix [“GT for Two”] ).

Summer 2014 Anime - Page 2 Aoku_Yureteiru

Genshiken Nidaime ED - Aoku Yurete Iru from Lustiger Discord on Vimeo.

Anyway, I decided to give the show a try and am about halfway through. I tried the original Genshiken, but bailed after the first episode. I admit I am probably still going with this one because the cast is mostly females as they’re all into Boys Love and the cross-dressing male character seems to be doing it for escapism.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 8:41; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 0:15

Genshiken Nidaime is actually the third season of Genshiken.  Genshiken's season naming is arguably even more confusing than Full Metal Panic's season naming (the second and third seasons of Full Metal Panic are called Fumoffu and The Second Raid respectively).

I actually liked the first and second seasons of Genshiken, but I wasn't so big on the third.  I think it had a bit too much focus on BL and crossdressing and weird H games for my taste.  Not that the first and second seasons were entirely clean, but still.

Now for those of you who have been following Rail Wars, it sounds like there's some bad blood between the studio and the author of the original source material.  Supposedly one of the animators tweeted that the author was essentially useless and getting in the way and that if original authors want a say in anime adaptations they should hire their own production staff. 

Now I don't know what exactly prompted those comments but going by what some people on animesuki are saying the original novel was more serious than the anime.  For instance in the anime the main character is sent to a church to meet someone who turns out to be the idol who developed an interest in him a few episodes back -and of course before she reveals herself his two female co-workers show up and romantic misunderstandings ensue.  In the light novels (or possibly the manga adaptation -its sometimes unclear what the anime was being comapred to) the person who was at the church was apparently one of the terrorist antagonists, not an idol.  sweat 

Combine major conflict being removed with fan service being cranked up and I can see good reasons why the original author might have issues with how the studio is adapting his work.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 6:16

Piero wrote:Genshiken Nidaime is actually the third season of Genshiken.  Genshiken's season naming is arguably even more confusing than Full Metal Panic's season naming (the second and third seasons of Full Metal Panic are called Fumoffu and The Second Raid respectively).

I actually liked the first and second seasons of Genshiken, but I wasn't so big on the third.  I think it had a bit too much focus on BL and crossdressing and weird H games for my taste.  Not that the first and second seasons were entirely clean, but still.
I've enjoyed all three seasons of Genshiken so far. The first two I liked as character shows and, to be honest, I enjoyed that they pulled less punches than other shows in their portrayal of an "otaku" group. The third seasons I've enjoyed because, well... it's twenty or so minutes of something light and entertaining to watch while I eat dinner. It's sitting closer to the Maou-sama or Working!! end of things than the other two.

As to Rail Wars!... to be honest, I've not watched past ep.02 yet. It's all there, I've just not been in the mood. That said:
Piero wrote:Combine major conflict being removed with fan service being cranked up and I can see good reasons why the original author might have issues with how the studio is adapting his work.
Can't blame him if that is the case. If you've put the time and effort into something you would probably want to see it portrayed as you envisaged it, especially as, presumably, the anime is likely going to find a wider audience than the manga did, and thus many people are going to form their first impressions of your work from it.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 8:45

Well I've heard Rumiko Takahashi sacked the production team for Ranma 1/2 after the first season (at which point the show was ruined, IMO) and that Madhouse did not do Gunslinger Girl -IL TEATRINO- because they wanted to be able to tell their own stories as well as those in the manga (as they did in the first season) and Yu wanted them to just follow the manga.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 22 Aug 2014 - 1:44

I think anime fans often complain too much about changes made in adaptations, particularly material that gets cut.  (I remember a guy saying that the source novel for The Princess and the Pilot was a hundred times better or something, but I personally liked the movie more than the novel its based on.)  I actually think adaptations could often benefit from being less literal.  That being said, if the adaptation of Rail Wars really is a case of a serious action series being turned into a harem comedy then I can see the author having reason to be a bit choked about it (of course that assumes that's even the issue -details are kind of vague).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 22 Aug 2014 - 4:11

I think any move between different media requires a certain amount of change in order to work in one or the other. There is, however, a big difference between adaptation to fit into a different format (manga to anime, book to movie, etc), and missing the intent of the original material.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 22 Aug 2014 - 8:12

Alfisti wrote:I think any move between different media requires a certain amount of change in order to work in one or the other. There is, however, a big difference between adaptation to fit into a different format (manga to anime, book to movie, etc), and missing the intent of the original material.

On the flip side, making it a harem comedy might have been the only way to get Rail Wars adapted as an anime considering the tastes of current anime otaku collectors.  sweat
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sat 30 Aug 2014 - 17:12

I may be saying this prematurely...but I think Space Dandy 2 just won the "Whoa!" award of the season with Episode 8.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 30 Aug 2014 - 18:13

boomer_gonz wrote:I may be saying this prematurely...but I think Space Dandy 2 just won the "Whoa!" award of the season with Episode 8.

It's generally been even better than the first season, thanks to it being such a massive hit in the US (and, I assume, Japan) that they have total free reign to do what they want, now.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 4:59

So, Alfisti's Saturday in a nutshell: go to pub-lunch with mates, spend rest of afternoon at "lunch", go to dinner... then home at the disturbingly adult hour of 7:30pm. Sit around, drink tea, binge what has been released so far of Sailor Moon Crystal whilst sobering up.
#rockstarlifestyle

Two things: a) that was way more entertaining than it has right to be and b) Sailor Mars is awesome.

I dunno. It could well have been the last of the beer talking, but I found Crystal a lot more enjoyable than some of the other stuff I've been watching recently. Yes, parts of it are pretty cringe-worthy, but for some reason that doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because it never seems to be trying so hard to get my attention, and instead seems content to be what it is, take it or leave it.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 22:33

For me, this season is just a total, utter loss.

Adlnoah.Zero started out so strong, but recently, it's suffering from the same problem as so many tabletop RPG groups: party members can do stuff that would logically get them killed (or in a kill or be killed situation), but everyone kum-by-yahs back together because they're all PCs.  Basically, the plotting went into the disbelief zone (for me.  I know it's long been there for others.)

Magical High School started the summer as a train wreck, but it's not even an entertaining one at this point.  Where it started out as a Sky High-style underdog story, it's now obvious that the MC is a god walking the Earth.  At this point, I'm watching primarily to see how far afield they can take the story from the original premise.

Tokyo E.S.P. stated as a "let's try to do the X-Men" style super-hero-ish story.  It's not that bad, but there is just so much melodrama.  Yes, I like heart-punches, but one of the key things to consider in a successful heart-punch is that it has to focused, not drawn out.  There's manipulation in both, but the melodrama is so obvious, so hamhanded.

Terror in Resonance - I'm only halfway through, but I can't see why they are keeping the girl around / alive.  They're trying to be "the good guys", the terrorists who don't kill people, but it's starting to wear thin.  I don't see why they're doing it, but I see the trope of "it's a black-ops school for orphans."  I can deal with it, but they're spending too much time in the present and not enough tying back to the history.

Sword Art Online II is my favourite anime of the season, and that's not saying a lot.  I started the season expecting to hate it because Sword Art Online (I) S2 was such a misogynistic mess.  It's effectively turned into a harem anime (no, not as much rom-com, but all the supporting characters save one are attractive females.)  At this point, it's the shows that I mind the least.  That's damned by faint praise.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 5:31

Honestly, the one thing I did intend to watch weekly - Rail Wars! -  I only made it to episode two of and no further. While I've not specifically decided to give it up, I've also not felt much urge to keep watching so... you tell me.

Maybe I'll just go binge watch Nadesico... again. That usually cheers me up.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 9:44

Alfisti wrote:Honestly, the one thing I did intend to watch weekly - Rail Wars! -  I only made it to episode two of and no further. While I've not specifically decided to give it up, I've also not felt much urge to keep watching so... you tell me.

The anime review site I am using to follow the shows I am currently stacking up does not cover Rail Wars! so I can only go off what I hear each week on ANN's podcast and the consensus they have been giving is the show remains focused on titties and trains, which means I probably won't get very far when I pick it back up. sweat
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 10:40

Alfisti wrote:So, Alfisti's Saturday in a nutshell: go to pub-lunch with mates, spend rest of afternoon at "lunch", go to dinner... then home at the disturbingly adult hour of 7:30pm. Sit around, drink tea, binge what has been released so far of Sailor Moon Crystal whilst sobering up.
#rockstarlifestyle

Two things: a) that was way more entertaining than it has right to be and b) Sailor Mars is awesome.

I dunno. It could well have been the last of the beer talking, but I found Crystal a lot more enjoyable than some of the other stuff I've been watching recently. Yes, parts of it are pretty cringe-worthy, but for some reason that doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because it never seems to be trying so hard to get my attention, and instead seems content to be what it is, take it or leave it.

I admit to having a bit of a hard time getting into Crystal. I am very much a child of the original show and the new character designs don’t resonate all that well with me. Evidently this show was originally meant to be an Original Net Animation and they secured a broadcast deal late in development so the reason it’s being broadcast every other week is to try and clean-up the animation so it looks better. And I must admit what made the original so fun to watch was the over-the-top dub.

taerkitty wrote:For me, this season is just a total, utter loss.

Yes, I’m reading and hearing mixed reviews on a number of shows. I haven’t really been watching anything of late, but I have been starting to catch up on shows…

Yama no Sasume 2 and HaNaYaMaTa have both remained steadily awesome, and Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun is consistently hilarious - Chiyo Sakura is going to be giving Nike Lemercier a run for Favorite Anime Character of 2014.

SPACE☆DANDY 2 has also been consistently solid, thanks to Kimiko Ueno and Keiko Nobumoto putting in excellent scripts.

Blue Spring Ride is holding it’s own, though it’s not to the level of Kimi ni Todoke or Say I Love You as one of the great love stories of recent anime.

Glasslip seems to have lost the plot, as I am generally just confused now as to what is going on.

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 2 is weaker than the first series, though it can still generate some chills.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 13:31

Space Dandy 2 is on a roll and with Episode 10 has officially gained a commanding lead in my "Pick of the Season" race as the crew continue to up the ante. I shudder in fear to think of how much further they can go with three episodes left.

Also in other news, I'm prepping my marathons and also am 10 episodes into my Marvel Disk Wars marathon and so I say again...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content