Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl!

+13
ElfenMagix
Officer_Charon
Kiskaloo
Lyndist
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika
Three Dog
Nachtsider
Thescarredman
Alfisti
tremec6speed
Wingdking
Professor Voodoo
Hamster
17 posters

Go down

No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl! Empty No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl!

Post by Hamster Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 18:19

Hello everybody! Great to come across a place to talk GsG stuff.

My intro to Gunslinger Girl came in 2007 during it's brief run on the Independent Film Channel(IFC) in the States. I'd never seen anime before. I always thought that the Japanese cartoon stuff was off-putting and aimed at children or goofballs from my high school. Anyway, I was channel flipping one night while a bit drunk. Happened to land on IFC just as the opening started. Whoa. I now know it was episode 12. The art-style, music, and somber tone immediately grabbed my attention. Sure the content seemed a bit tasteless and puerile (big eyed little girls running around with assault rifles) but once the action started, I was sold. Luckily IFC replayed the whole episode run over the next few weeks and I managed to watch the complete series. I've seen a couple animes since then (Death Note, Black Lagoon, GITS) but for whatever reason none of them resonated the way Gunslinger Girl did. Because of that it's the only anime with a place my dvd shelf. Just hope none of my friends see it there. I'll get endless shit. A couple months after watching the original 13 episodes I was elated to hear that there would be a second season! After all the anticipation, I was stunned and horribly disappointed after watching the first couple scenes. Whatever the hell that anime is, it's not Gunslinger Girl. I've never read any of the manga. Reading right to left hurts my brain. I might do so eventually, but I've got to say the Petrushka character seems to break some of the themes I enjoyed most from the anime.

Picked Hamster as my username for two reasons. 1) I had a Hamster named Henrietta as a kid. Lol 2) Huge Top Gear fan.

So, happy to be here and I hope I didn't offend any 2nd season fans too badly.
Cheers
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Forum Posts : 36

Fan of : Henrietta, Elsa

Original Characters : None

Comments : Second season didn't happen.

Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl! Empty Re: No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl!

Post by Professor Voodoo Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 18:28

A GsG fan and a Top Gear fan? You're going to fit right in here.

I discovered Gunslinger Girl the same way...on Independent Film Channel. By the third or fourth episode I didn't feel like waiting a week for each installment so I found the DVD set.

Welcome to the madhouse, Hamster...enjoy!
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl! Empty Re: No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl!

Post by Wingdking Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 18:31

Oh a new guy rubs hands together evilly here is some paper work to fill out
Wingdking
Wingdking

Male

Forum Posts : 47

Fan of : Gsg

Original Characters : frank

Comments : N/a

Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 20:53

Me too, IFC was my entry way to Mr. Aida's great story.
Welcome to the forum and may you enjoy the conversations, stories and more!
Smile
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 21:48

Hmm, well looks like Wingdking has already taken care of the paperwork... one less thing for me to do I guess.

Anyway, welcome; and please always take note of the 100m Red Bull exclusion zone around the cyborg dorm.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 21:58

2nd season fan here. Also Petra/Sandro fan.

No harm, no foul. Room for everybody who loves GsG here. Welcome, Hamster. See you in chat.

Last edited by Thescarredman on Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 19:28; edited 1 time in total
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 23:13

.... And let us not forget that Mr. Aida reportedly had more input on season 2, so animation aside, it has to have value since we're seeing more of his vision than on the first season.
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 2:02

Hamster wrote: I've never read any of the manga. Reading right to left hurts my brain. I might do so eventually, but I've got to say the Petrushka character seems to break some of the themes I enjoyed most from the anime.
I love this guy already. Welcome to the club, bro.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 2:53

Welcome, friend! Have no fear, we supply all your injections in case one us bites Evil so no need to worry about that.
Three Dog
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 16:08

first saw Gunslinger girl season 1 in animax...fell in love at first sight...quickly after that , Second season came in...Double MOE XD
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 16:36

Nice meeting you Hammo! (Hope you don't mind.) You'll fit in just fine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndist Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 13:59

Welcome...enjoy and have fun
Lyndist
Lyndist

Male

Forum Posts : 476

Fan of : Yu Aida

Original Characters : Phong Linh . Silvya SilverFox

Comments : I'm back

Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 16:05

Thanks for the welcome guys!

After browsing the site for a bit I've determined that there's a massive learning curve around here. Afraid I have no idea what you guys are talking about most of the time.
I guess I need a beginners sub-forum or something LOL. Well that and I need to read the manga.
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 16:32

No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl! Triela_Welcome
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 17:05

Reading the manga DOES help, but it's not really a requirement. *grins* Honestly, once you have a brief sift through, you start to catch up. We're all pretty friendly here, and more than willing to take the time to work with a newbie - after all, we were all new, once! *chuckles*

Welcome aboard, mate! Hope you have a lot of fun
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 17:12

There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl?

Where? Where?
You mean this place?

Damn.

Welcome to the Open Air Asylum known as Cyborg Central. You got a choice of pills: Red, Blue or Green. Dont make the orderlies angry at you, and PB&J sandwiches are served everyday at 10am with chocolate milk. Enjoy your stay.

BTW - dont touch the nurse. She has a mean right hook.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 18:13

But sometimes it's worth it! Hubba hubba!
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingdking Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 18:39

Try the red pills they let you see the lepercon and his lucky charms
Wingdking
Wingdking

Male

Forum Posts : 47

Fan of : Gsg

Original Characters : frank

Comments : N/a

Registration date : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 18:57

Welcome to the site.
John_234
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of :  

Original Characters :  

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Taking a break for a while.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 19:58

Wingdking wrote:Try the red pills they let you see the lepercon and his lucky charms

Is that what they call them now? Incoming!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 10:50

Hamster wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys!

After browsing the site for a bit I've determined that there's a massive learning curve around here. Afraid I have no idea what you guys are talking about most of the time.
I guess I need a beginners sub-forum or something LOL. Well that and I need to read the manga.
Yeah, the manga does help fill in some of the stuff which happened after the anime(s) finished... though the forum also seems to have developed its own fanon as well; which does take some getting used to when you first arrive No way! There's a whole forum devoted to Gunslinger Girl! 61015
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 18:55

Hamster wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys!

You don't have to do that. You can just ask questions of any one of us as you go along. We're helpful and accommodating that way.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 3:33

Great to have you!

Hamster wrote:I've seen a couple animes since then (Death Note, Black Lagoon, GITS) but for whatever reason none of them resonated the way Gunslinger Girl did.

I know the feeling. I could recommend a couple other series with a similar tone or feel as GSG if you'd like.

Hamster wrote:
A couple months after watching the original 13 episodes I was elated to hear that there would be a second season! After all the anticipation, I was stunned and horribly disappointed after watching the first couple scenes. Whatever the hell that anime is, it's not Gunslinger Girl.

Welcome to the club! cheers

Hamster wrote: I've got to say the Petrushka character seems to break some of the themes I enjoyed most from the anime.

[See above]
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 0:33

Godot wrote:
Hamster wrote:I've seen a couple animes since then (Death Note, Black Lagoon, GITS) but for whatever reason none of them resonated the way Gunslinger Girl did.

I know the feeling. I could recommend a couple other series with a similar tone or feel as GSG if you'd like.

Love to hear some suggestions. Anime seems afflicted with an extreme version of Sturgeon's law. It just takes too much effort to find those few decent shows if you're a casual viewer. Probably the one of the reasons anime isn't more popular generally.

---lyndist
Dig that scene in your signature where Henrietta is cradling her pistol while asleep. Is that Yu Aida's work or is that fanart?
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 4:34

Cowboy Bebop has strong plotting and theme. Overall, I think it's very well put-together. I'd start there if it's available.

Sword Art Online is interesting. Some really like it. I like the concept, once you get past the hackneyed conceit, at least of the first season. The second season was very different, and I didn't like how the female protagonist changed from a dynamic fighter in the first season into a damsel in distress.

I like Code:Geass, although it can be a little melodramatic at times. I also like Baccano!, but that's because I like non-linear timeline stories.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood was done after the manga concluded. the first Full Metal Alchemist 'caught up' to the manga, and then had to continue on, so it went somewhat loopy.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Angel Beats! both share a quirky existentialist feel.

Eflen Magix (the forum moderator) loves Elfen Leid, the anime.

As for me, I have heard good things about Stein:Gate and Darker than Black, so I may give both of those a try.

===

Welcome to the forum!
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1211

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndist Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 6:51

i think it a Fanart...
Lyndist
Lyndist

Male

Forum Posts : 476

Fan of : Yu Aida

Original Characters : Phong Linh . Silvya SilverFox

Comments : I'm back

Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 17:51

Kiskaloo I just saw your post over at final gear. Small(ish) world LOL.
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 17 Feb 2013 - 17:56

Hamster wrote:Kiskaloo I just saw your post over at final gear. Small(ish) world LOL.

Yes, I watch it live via streaming of BBC2 (and then download the BBC HD version once it posts) so I post my thoughts as soon as the Episode thread is opened. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 19:31

Yes, we really do exist!! Very Happy

Hope you like it here!! ^__^
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 22:40

Hamster wrote:
Godot wrote:

Love to hear some suggestions. Anime seems afflicted with an extreme version of Sturgeon's law. It just takes too much effort to find those few decent shows if you're a casual viewer. Probably the one of the reasons anime isn't more popular generally.

If you're looking for something with GSG's tone during any of the quiet moments, minus all of the action if that makes sense, try Haibane Renmei. Here's a 2 minute summary of it that summarizes it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-blMTrQIrI&list=PL2BA4A6255480955C#t=7m05s

If you liked GSG's episodic pacing, exploration, and occasional dose of action, try Kino's Journey. It's an episodic series about a girl that travels from country to country with her talking motorcycle, never staying in any one place too long. Like GSG in that there's occasional action, but it's hardly the focus.

Let me know what you think!
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 23:20

If you're looking for more anime I highly recommend Elfen Lied, the original Full Metal Alchemist, and an amazing older anime Yu Yu Hakusho.
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamster Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 10:23

Thanks! I'll check those out.
Hamster
Hamster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum