Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work

+4
dragonfire238
Alfisti
Kiskaloo
Il Direttore
8 posters

Go down

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Empty Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work

Post by Il Direttore Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 21:21

Alfa Romeo Giulietta, anyone?

Also, anybody have detailed info on its character?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Empty Re: Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 21:24

I assume we're talking the new (2011) model?

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work 2011_Giulietta_01

Michele is more an 8C Spyder man:

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Alfa_8C4
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Empty Re: Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work

Post by Alfisti Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 22:32

Haven't we had a thread or two to this effect before? From memory in those the general consensus was Alfa 159... although that admittedly is getting a bit long in the tooth these days.

As to the Giulietta: if we're talking the 2011 version then my understanding is that on the performance/handling side of things it's good but nothing special. When I looked at one I was a bit non-plussed by the interior; it wasn't bad but not up to Teutonic standards either. I didn't get as far as test driving it (partly because I didn't like the salesman).

If we're talking the late '70's/Early 80's Giulietta then I can give you a very detailed rundown as it shared the same mechanicals, suspension, chassis and floor plan as my onw car. Prior to that I got nothing.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 22:34

Really? Man, I feel so newbish.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 22:41

El Conservatore wrote:Really? Man, I feel so newbish.

Here and here are probably reasonable places to start.

It's worth checking some of the older threads to see if they have the info you want and, if something's close or can be added to: this forum has no issues with necro-posting.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 20 Aug 2012 - 23:19

Alfisti wrote:Haven't we had a thread or two to this effect before? From memory in those the general consensus was Alfa 159... although that admittedly is getting a bit long in the tooth these days.

With the Chrysler and FIAT tie-up, the new Lancia Thema [Chrysler 300C] is starting to enter the Italian Government motor pool so this strikes me as the logical replacement for the Alfa 159 for those writing in the current era.

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Lancia-Thema_2012_800x600_wallpaper_06
http://newcarsgarage.blogspot.com/2012/06/2012-lancia-thema.html

I've also used the Citroën C6 executive car and the Peugeot 806 minivan for Agency duty.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 5:41

Kiskaloo wrote:With the Chrysler and FIAT tie-up, the new Lancia Thema [Chrysler 300C] is starting to enter the Italian Government motor pool so this strikes me as the logical replacement for the Alfa 159 for those writing in the current era.
Unfortunately I'd then have to think about a Lancia badge being stuck on an American pseudo-gangster-mobile, based on an out-dated Mercedes platform. Neither of which is bad in isolation (even I'll admit the 300C is a handsome looking thing) but...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire238 Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 12:16

i like the idea of a vehicle that looks like a POS on the outside but is actually very clean on the inside, basically taking a vehicle in great condition and replacing the panels with old worn ones that have rust spots
dragonfire238
dragonfire238

Male

Forum Posts : 85

Fan of : all

Original Characters : -Abigail-cyborg/daughter -Leonard Casey- handler/father

Comments : a wise man once said "goo goo ga ga"

Registration date : 2012-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 12:50

For mundate, try a Fiat 500, VW Bug/Golf/Rabbit/Jetta, Honda Civic, Toyota... anything else you'd want to throw in there. Cars that wont grab attention. Unless you hang out with Kara and Michelle, I doubt you will be in a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Masserati, Louts, Mercedes, or anything else over $250,000...
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 13:03

Well, the key is that it has to be relevantly mundane in the nation in question. An Alfa Romeo in the US is going to look just as out of place as a Lambo.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 13:51

El Conservatore wrote:Well, the key is that it has to be relevantly mundane in the nation in question. An Alfa Romeo in the US is going to look just as out of place as a Lambo.
That would depend on where your operatives are at, where their missions call to them and what is the environment of the mission in question.

I doubt your operatives will be coming in "the People's Car" to a private estate to bid on race horses and polo ponies as part of the mission. Nor I doubt they would be entering a public enclosed meeting space to meet with 2600 script kiddies on info on a government computer site hack job in a 3 piece suit and cyborg babes at his arms.

Everything depends on when, where and who. You can figure out the why when you get past the first three.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 13:57

ElfenMagix wrote:I doubt your operatives will be coming in "the People's Car" to a private estate to bid on race horses and polo ponies as part of the mission.

They would if it is a Volkswagen Phaeton. Smile

ElfenMagix wrote:Nor I doubt they would be entering a public enclosed meeting space to meet with 2600 script kiddies on info on a government computer site hack job in a 3 piece suit and cyborg babes at his arms.

Unless it's Hillshire and Triela. Razz
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire238 Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 17:06

just go with a station wagon that has a suped up engine
dragonfire238
dragonfire238

Male

Forum Posts : 85

Fan of : all

Original Characters : -Abigail-cyborg/daughter -Leonard Casey- handler/father

Comments : a wise man once said "goo goo ga ga"

Registration date : 2012-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 17:26

dragonfire238 wrote:just go with a station wagon that has a suped up engine
Lotus-Sunbeam Avenger?

Besides, fast stationwagons are pure awesome... though with all that glass over the load area a little awkward when transporting dead bodies.

As Elfen pointed out though: it really is a case of horses for courses. Let us know what/who it's for (is this for James?) and it will be easier to give an answer. The 159 mentioned before is a pretty normal family sedan in Italy (also used as police cars) so it will be resonably invisible anywhere there. Similarly the MINI (as distinct from a proper Mini) could be an option as, despite being a small, chic hatch they're also like arses: everyone has one and you barely blink when one drives past... though again if it was for James, at his age and style, he may risk having his sexuality questioned Razz VW and FIAT are always options... as are other parts of the VAG, I know Audi was popular there for awhile among the OC crowd.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 17:43

Alfisti wrote:I know Audi was popular there for awhile among the OC crowd.

And even the canon crowd - Raballo had an A3 Typ 8L Hatchback.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 20:38

Ah, so more information is always better, it seems.

Anyway, yes, my original intent was to find a car for James that he could drive around without Padans going "GOVERNMENT VEHICLE!!!".

For that matter, it'd be preferable if everyone immediately went "oh what a lame ass driving that lame car", but.......
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 22:31

El Conservatore wrote:Ah, so more information is always better, it seems.

Anyway, yes, my original intent was to find a car for James that he could drive around without Padans going "GOVERNMENT VEHICLE!!!".

For that matter, it'd be preferable if everyone immediately went "oh what a lame ass driving that lame car", but.......
Hmm, don't want to go too down market though. From where your fratello's style has been going they're going to look a bit odd stepping out of a total banger: especially in style concious Italy.

That in mind, may I suggest then a well maintained Alfa Romeo 75 V6:

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Alfa_romeo_75-uk

I personally prefer them in white.

As long as its in good nick it'll look like he bought it and just never bothered replacing it, and they have the grunt, speed and handling to give a lot of much newer metal a serious run for its money.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 21 Aug 2012 - 22:54

Alfisti wrote:That in mind, may I suggest then a well maintained Alfa Romeo 75 V6:

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Alfa_romeo_75-uk

I personally prefer them in white.

Not a fan of Škoda Green? Incoming!

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work 105803d1213325119-top-gear-cheap-alfa-challenge-dsc_0707
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 6:19

Kiskaloo wrote:Not a fan of Škoda Green? Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work 70464

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work 105803d1213325119-top-gear-cheap-alfa-challenge-dsc_0707
Let us never speak of this ever again.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 6:22

Alfisti wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:Not a fan of Škoda Green? Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work 70464

looks like its been driven around Rome,thats fairly normal wear and tear for that driving nightmare !
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 7:05

Took a look at the AR 75. Brilliant for its handling and engine, but I can't say I'm a fan of the front end's looks.

Butherface!

Anyway, in all seriousness, this does seem like the sort of car that would be useful for James and Caterina. Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on mountain driving?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 7:26

El Conservatore wrote:Took a look at the AR 75. Brilliant for its handling and engine, but I can't say I'm a fan of the front end's looks.

Butherface!

Anyway, in all seriousness, this does seem like the sort of car that would be useful for James and Caterina. Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on mountain driving?
As in off-roading?

And of course, if you don't like the front of the Alfa 75, there's always the 90... which is exactly the same car with slightly different styling and an extra half foot in its wheelbase.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 9:25

Awinnell wrote:
Alfisti wrote:

looks like its been driven around Rome,thats fairly normal wear and tear for that driving nightmare !

And folks ask why Michele let's Kara drive. She has an artificial heart, so it's less likely to explode from stress. Smile

El Conservatore wrote:Took a look at the AR 75. Brilliant for its handling and engine, but I can't say I'm a fan of the front end's looks.

Butherface!

Kara had one in the Top Gear Italy Drift Car Challenge (Series 01, Episode 02).

El Conservatore wrote:Anyway, in all seriousness, this does seem like the sort of car that would be useful for James and Caterina. Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on mountain driving?

Toyota Hilux.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 9:30; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 19:07

Meant "climbing up mountain roads" and "handling various road conditions". Sorry for non-clarity.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 22 Aug 2012 - 22:44

El Conservatore wrote:Meant "climbing up mountain roads" and "handling various road conditions". Sorry for non-clarity.
Again, still pretty broad... it depends on what you're looking for. The Alfa is from an era where roads were much worse and so handles bad surfaces quite well. It's also suprisingly at home on slippery stuff... I used to regularly use my GTV (same car, but with a coupe body) to explore gravel backroads. They're good in the wet too, though can feel a little knife-edge at times.

That said, if you're after "take all comers" capability, then I personally don't think you can go past the offerings from Land Rover, the Disco 4 (as were the 1,2 and 3) is a very comfortable and secure way to get around. If you want an SUV never intended by its designers to go offroad (but with better onroad performance), then there are plenty of offerings from BMW, Mercedes, the VAG and others, while Toyota are just as capable offroad (and in some respects are better) but lack the onroad poise. I think Land Rover do the best compromise (Defender excluded obviously, which falls into the same category as Toyota). Jeep I don't think have the European presence not to look out of place.

If you're just looking for traction, then all-paw drive is useful and can be aquired from plenty of manufacturers (Audi, VW, Skoda, Subaru... to name a few, without getting into softroader terrirory), but it comes at the expense of fun.

Jethro + Monty of course use an Audi A4 Allroad (diesel V6), which is essentially an AWD estate with extra ground clearance + underbody protection, as the best compromise for their needs: size vs. carrying capacity, performance vs. range/reliability, onroad ability vs. benig able to get up a winery driveway without leaving the exhaust on a tree stump and do some mild offroading if they're really careful (that car ends up places it probably shouldn't be). However that softroader category is probably the most suitable if the carring capacity of a bulk freighter and ability to climb up a gumtree don't factor into your requirements... but some comfort on unsealed surfaces does.

Narrow it down a bit and we can probably start suggesting actual vehicles.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Thu 23 Aug 2012 - 0:34

Given the state of Fiat-owned Chrysler, there's probably going to be a bit more Jeep presence in Italy than there once was; even before the merger, there was definitely at least some presence of Chrysler products in Europe for one reason or another.

That said, since you're looking for stuff that can climb hills without too much fuss, anything with AWD is pretty nice. Anything with a Quattro badge is good, and of course the aforementioned Subies, and any BMW with an 'x' at the end of the alphanumeric soup that describes the model. Combine with a turboed engine that makes it less asthmatic at altitude, and you have yourself a decent mountain car.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Thu 23 Aug 2012 - 14:19

Best to find a hearse and drive that. Thats why Fernando has a '69 Oldsmobile Hearse with s 495 Pocket Rocket V8. Oh what storage that thing has, and big enough to put in A tiny Fiat, Alfa, or MG in the back and still have space for more stuff!
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 6:17

One of these rocked up at work to fix the air-conditioning today:
Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work VW_Caddy_Kasten_1.6_TDI_Facelift

VW Caddy, basically a Golf in van-format. You can even have it in AWD.

Anyway, it sparked the thought that one of these, or any similarly small hatch-based van (Renault Kangoo, etc) might make a worthwhile ride for a fratello which may need to lug and/or operate large amounts of equipment, but don't need the space of a larger vehicle. Doesn't hurt that the size makes them easy to get into smaller spaces, and they're a fairly standard sort of vehicle for small business.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 7:58

This is what I've been waiting for my entire time at Cyborg Central

Finally, a car that James and Caterina can use to Haul Crap in.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PSVT Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 14:58

In all actuality, I can somewhat see the Rossi fratello investigating the use of such a vehicle later on in their tale. Although Valentina is supposed to be a self-contained unit, inevitable mission creep and her insatiable lust for new toys (not that Giancarlo's particularly innocent either) would mean more stuff to move around at times. The only issue with the VW Caddy would be a lack of windows in bacik, which makes the vehicle potentially suspicious. Not as suspicious as a full-size panel van, of course, but anything that makes them appear as innocuous as possible is a good thing.

That, and Valentina has a dream to modify one of Giancarlo's hatchbacks and turn it into the world's smallest and most clandestine electronic warfare/EM surveillance vehicles ever. Once she gets a bug like that in her head, it's difficult to stop her.
PSVT
PSVT

Male

Forum Posts : 556

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : Giancarlo Rossi and his cyborgs Valentina R. and Eleonora R.; James Bernard and his cyborg Rachelle

Comments : Working on an actual story now, so please be patient... ^_^;

Registration date : 2014-05-27
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 16:28

PSVT wrote:The only issue with the VW Caddy would be a lack of windows in bacik, which makes the vehicle potentially suspicious. Not as suspicious as a full-size panel van, of course, but anything that makes them appear as innocuous as possible is a good thing.
Well, I believe it can be had with windows as well but, to be honest, I had seen the panel-van body as a boon rather than a hindrance. Curtain off the front, or even set up some sort of fake load-screen and the rear could be turned into a small work area, electronics monitoring/surveillance station, etc. Not as roomy, or probably as capable, as a full-size setup, but if all you need to fit in there are a handler and cyborg.

As to keeping it innocuous: make sure it has a few dents in it, throw some sort of branding on the side (plumber, air-conditioning, flower-shop... whatever), and it should fit into most neighborhoods. Park it in one place for too long and people might start asking questions, but that goes the same for anything.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 11:27

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 11:44

Kiskaloo wrote:

if you watch right to the end where the helicopter pulls out you can see a massive oil leak !

Mundane Vehicles for Undercover Work Beasto10
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 1 Apr 2015 - 18:26

Considering what goes on at that estate, I wonder how many times a year Lord March has to dig oil leaks out of his driveway...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum