Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Networking

+8
Triela
Officer_Charon
tremec6speed
TTIO
Kiskaloo
Alfisti
Professor Voodoo
Godot
12 posters

Go down

Do you have a mainstream social networking account? (Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc.)

Social Networking I_vote_lcap54%Social Networking I_vote_rcap 54% 
[ 7 ]
Social Networking I_vote_lcap8%Social Networking I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Social Networking I_vote_lcap38%Social Networking I_vote_rcap 38% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 13

Social Networking Empty Social Networking

Post by Godot Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 1:57

I swear I'm the only one that doesn't really have a mainstream social networking account anymore. I never really saw the allure of them; they always just seemed like one colossal time sink for incredibly poor communication. But I'd like to ask, who here has a mainstream social networking account? It'd probably be a better question to ask who doesn't, but there's a multiple choice poll in this thread anyway.

This doesn't include anything like a niche forum like ours here of course and by mainstream I mean sites with users well into the millions like Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube only if you use it for anything more than watching videos.

Are these really all that fun or fulfilling to use? The games on them I understand, but I never really saw the fun of accumulating thousands of friends you never met nor will ever know very well.
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Social Networking Empty Re: Social Networking

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 4:06

I have an account on the Facebook, but I agree 90% of it is nonsense. I don't try to accumulate an army of "friends", I update status very seldom and have zero interest in the games.

What it has done is gotten me back in touch with people I hadn't heard from in 20 years or more. Most of the time we don't have much in common anymore but it's interesting to see what my old friends from school ended up doing.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 4:21

I have a facebook account, but I haven't been on it in litterally months... I wasn't particularly happy about getting one in the first place, but it was getting to the stage where I was missing events and parties simply by virtue of not being on the damn thing...

...then I moved to whoop-whoop and it just slid down my priorities list. By the time I get back to civilisation I'll hopefully have set a precedent of never being on and people will remember about such low-tech technologies as txt messaging and email.

Other than that, I have a dA account and flickr.... both of which I use on a semi-regular basis (deviantART moreso). DA gets used to host drawings and flickr hosts my photographs.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 7:29

I have a facebook acount and I hardly ever use the thing. While it has helped me keep in touch with a few people occasionaly I think it is a waste of time mostly. I'd much rather converse in person or over a phone. The advent of social media is in my opinion messing up the younger generation because they converse only electronicly and don't know how to do it in person, not to mention all the cyber bullying crap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 9:05

I have a FaceBook account because I believe it is required by one of the Articles of the Constitution, but fortunately I am not required to actually use it. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TTIO Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 11:55

I have facebook, used to use it semi-regularly to talk to people from my old school. Now that I'm at uni, it's very useful for co-ordinating events...
TTIO
TTIO
CEO of Cheese Pie Inc.

Male

Forum Posts : 1111

Fan of : Triela!

Original Characters : Keetha & Alcide

Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 22:19

Yeah, I don't care for those sites either.... I don't wanna find old friends, I can just see it now:
me: 'Hey how ya doin? lookin' good! lolz'
'friend': 'where's my fiver man, gonna kick yer ass!'
me: 'oh, I sense a computer crash coming on!'
Doh!
(kiddin', it's not like that)
Razz
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 15 Dec 2011 - 12:00

I maintain a facebook account, because like Voodoo said, it's a great way to stay in conctact with people from years ago. I've lived in 4 different countries, and several different states, (to say nothing of my military time) so needless to say, communication can be an issue sometimes.

One of the first people to find me and friend me on Facebook was my first girlfriend, from elementary school in England. After that, the floodgates opened.

Hell, there's a couple of y'all on there... I'd be happy to share, if anyone else wanted my name.
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 15 Dec 2011 - 12:43

Officer_Charon wrote:Hell, there's a couple of y'all on there... I'd be happy to share, if anyone else wanted my name.
Emperor has a Cyborg Central Facebook page that many of us have joined. I find it fun to try connecting real-life names to forum identities.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 15 Dec 2011 - 13:14

Yeah, I'm on there... but finding my name on there isn't exactly a challenge... *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Thu 15 Dec 2011 - 13:40

I love facebook! I'm friends with a lot of people from the boards as well. :3

I go on twitter to stalk celebrities and I have a tumblr for pictures mostly. (Norman Reedusssss~)
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Thu 15 Dec 2011 - 14:07

Trust me, hon... I know only too well about your celebrity obsessions via Facebook. *grins*
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Sat 17 Dec 2011 - 3:47

Triela wrote:I go on twitter to stalk celebrities and I have a tumblr for pictures mostly. (Norman Reedusssss~)

That certainly sounds like a fun reason to use social networking Social Networking 684325. Still doesn't sound like it's for me though.

Kiskaloo wrote:I have a FaceBook account because I believe it is required by one of the Articles of the Constitution, but fortunately I am not required to actually use it. Smile

Articles of the Constitution? Not sure if we're thinking about the same thing, but it probably is anyway. Social Networking 684325

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Officer_Charon wrote:Hell, there's a couple
of y'all on there... I'd be happy to share, if anyone else wanted my
name.
Emperor has a Cyborg Central Facebook page that many of us have joined. I find it fun to try connecting real-life names to forum identities.

That might be sort of interesting, but knowing people here by username seems to be enough for me. Besides, I like to think of everyone here as faceless people on the internet anyway Very Happy

crazyidiot78 wrote:I have a facebook acount and I hardly ever use the thing. While it has helped me keep in touch with a few people occasionaly I think it is a waste of time mostly. I'd much rather converse in person or over a phone. The advent of social media is in my opinion messing up the younger generation because they converse only electronicly and don't know how to do it in person, not to mention all the cyber bullying crap.

I also think that it's a lot simpler, faster, and more effective just to talk to someone directly. People do seem to use social media for the most idiotic of conversations anyway.

Professor Voodoo wrote:I have an account on the Facebook, but I agree 90% of it is nonsense.
That's what I was looking for Very Happy
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Fan of : Henrietta

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon Sat 17 Dec 2011 - 11:49

Godot, one could argue that most people's conversations IN GENERAL are idiotic and inane. *wry smile*

(you can see I don't talk to too many people, outside of what's required for work)
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Mon 19 Dec 2011 - 12:18

The other day I tried to access my Facebook account from a hotel room in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Of course, the site did not recognize the odd IP address so it asked me a security question. Usually these are something like "What is your Mother's maiden name?" "What city where you born in?" (which is why cyborgs don't have FB pages...they can't remember either one). Not this time.

Apparently somebody at FB thought it was clever to issue a challenge. I had to identify people from my friends photo albums. I was given 9 opportunities...I did not get a single one. Log-in rejected.

Oh well...guess I didn't need to check FB that badly.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Mon 19 Dec 2011 - 12:36

Professor Voodoo wrote:The other day I tried to access my Facebook account from a hotel room in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Of course, the site did not recognize the odd IP address so it asked me a security question. Usually these are something like "What is your Mother's maiden name?" "What city where you born in?" (which is why cyborgs don't have FB pages...they can't remember either one). Not this time.

Apparently somebody at FB thought it was clever to issue a challenge. I had to identify people from my friends photo albums. I was given 9 opportunities...I did not get a single one. Log-in rejected.

Oh well...guess I didn't need to check FB that badly.

I supposed that's how they keep FB accounts from getting hacked.
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Wed 11 Jan 2012 - 9:14

I know that I haven't been posting here for the last few weeks, but as great as it is to be out in the mountain air, ski repping does mean that you're there to work. We take guests out on the slopes during the day, which is fun, but the upshot of this is lots of papwerwork in the evening and a fourteen-hour day. Social Networking 61015

Hoiwever, since I started, I have been making more and more use of Facebook than I ever did, to keep in touch with back home. I'm also uploading photos (and seeing as I'm more snap-happy than an entire busload of Japanese tourists, I'm still playing catch-up!). Come round and say hello:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=508328659

I've had no time for writing (which is a damn shame, as I was just getting to grips with a new story before leaving), but hopefully something should turn up in the next couple of weeks.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Thu 7 Jun 2012 - 9:48

I remain amazed at how few of the users here are on Facebook. It would seem that the fabled creature that is the person without a Facebook account isn't such an endangered species after all.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 7 Jun 2012 - 10:39

Nachtsider wrote:I remain amazed at how few of the users here are on Facebook. It would seem that the fabled creature that is the person without a Facebook account isn't such an endangered species after all.

I have a FaceBook account because it is required by the Constitution, but my life is boring enough to live, so I shudder at how boring it would be to read.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathly-Hallows Thu 7 Jun 2012 - 11:25

I got a tumblr and its a party everyday bro. Coolz
Deathly-Hallows
Deathly-Hallows

Female

Forum Posts : 79

Fan of : claes,rico

Original Characters : Marigold/ Ami

Comments : ahhh yes, i have finally discoverd where the fandom hides ; u ;!

Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum