Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ?

5 posters

Go down

What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ? Empty What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ?

Post by kadnax Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 13:42

I think there is a big mistake made in Gunslinger girl about what they call the « Military Police ». Yu Aida calls the Carabiners « military police ». That’s false. Like « Gendarmerie » in France and others countries, that’s a military unit wich act like policemen. Exactly like policemen, even if they make part of the army. So the confusion with the true « military police » wich is not exactly the same. But in Japan or in USA for exemple this sort of units don’t exist. So i think there is a confusion between the real « MP » and the Carabiniers. I mean in countrie where units like « Carabiners « or « Gendarmerie» exist, the « MP » don’t exactly do the same things : The MP have just to maintain dicipline in military units. They don’t perform police missions for civilians. The advantage of the carabiniers or Gendarmerie, is that as they make part of the army you can deploy them oversea s (not policemen). And it is true that most of them, from differents countries of Europe were deployed in ex-Yougoslavia (as we can see on the manga).

I just mean: there is the Police, there is the MP and there are the Carabiniers. And they are just not the same.
I’am not sure if i am very clear, or if it is clear for Yu Aida or at least for the translators… ?

Last edited by kadnax on Sat 27 Aug 2011 - 3:37; edited 6 times in total
kadnax
kadnax

Male

Forum Posts : 18

Fan of : Gunslinger girl

Original Characters : Me

Comments : I'am everywhere

Registration date : 2011-08-24

Back to top Go down

What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ? Empty Re: What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ?

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 13:50

I think Yu, and at least the majority of his readers, understand that, especially considering the connection between the Croce bothers and the Carabinieri.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ? Empty Re: What Yu Aida calls the MP was just Lost in translation ?

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 13:57

Yu Aida is very meticulous in his research, so I am quite confident he knows the function and structure of the Carabinieri.

Any confusion would be with the readers of his work, and they can educate themselves relatively quickly with a quick web search.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Fri 26 Aug 2011 - 15:48

Aida actually used several words which can all mean "military police", 憲兵 (kenpei) and 軍警察 (gunkeisatsu). The first one is directly related to the WWII kenpeitai, which was more of a military police force that acted instead of conventional police officers, a more omnipresent gestapo that was sometimes called the "patriotism police", to crush dissent and intimidate anyone thinking of acting against the government. The Carabinieri also fulfilled this role in fascist Italy. The name for this kind of military police force is normally referred to as a "gendarmerie", but that name also extends to things like Canadian mounties.

The second word is a literal combination of "military" or fighting force (軍, gun) and "police" (警察, keisatsu). That word could be used to describe modern military police forces that are literally just a police force that polices the military itself. Since Aida uses the former term more chiefly, though, there's not much doubt what he is talking about to a Japanese reader. Unfortunately, there's only one term for this kind of thing in English-speaking areas. Most readers seem to be able to discern what they mean, though. In hindsight I could have maybe used the term Carabinieri in the chapters I translated to be more specific, but Aida certainly didn't screw it up, at least not in Japanese.

I would also like to add that Yu Aida not only did his research, the general consensus amongst some at least is that he must have spent some length of time in Italy to really get so many small details down very accurately. The fan information pages at the end of the chapters and volumes many times are details on differences between Japanese and Italian culture. You could read about these things I suppose but Aida's knowledge doesn't seem like it was vicariously obtained.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by kadnax Sat 27 Aug 2011 - 11:55

Ok, thanks for the infos.Very Happy

In fact, in some versions, like the the French one (manga and anime), sometimes, they speak about the "military police", sometimes about the "gendarmerie" and sometimes about the "carabiniers" for the same thing each time. So i felt that strange and i thought it was a problem of translation, or the fact that Yu Aida lives in a country where this sort of unit don't exist, so he had to use others words (wich could create confusion sometimes), to explain what he was talking about. That's the reason i put this topic.
kadnax
kadnax

Male

Forum Posts : 18

Fan of : Gunslinger girl

Original Characters : Me

Comments : I'am everywhere

Registration date : 2011-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by John_234 Mon 29 Aug 2011 - 18:06

Well he could have used a more appropriate term like Gendamerie, which is sort of an umbrella term for para-militaries like the Carabinieri, but most English-speaking users would go, "Huh...?" and it'd probably be something best explained with a manga footnote. Military police isn't exact, but it is close without making the reader pause and google some of the terminology.
John_234
John_234

Male

Forum Posts : 469

Fan of :

Original Characters :

Comments : The Chatbox is evil.

Taking a break for a while.

Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down