Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-Combat Academics

+3
ElfenMagix
Kiskaloo
Professor Voodoo
7 posters

Go down

Non-Combat Academics Empty Non-Combat Academics

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 19:02

These topics always seem to set off a good conversation/debate...

In both canon & fanfictions the girls are given academic classes in addition to their combat qualifications. How does your OC cyborg deal with this?

-What are her (or his) favorite classes?
-Perhaps more telling; what classes does she hate?
-How does your cyborg act in class...teachers pet...studious...bored...class clown?

Bonus Question; can your OC deliver this excuse with a straight face?
Any random cyborg: But I really did finish my homework...it just got destroyed by Padania terrorists!

Last edited by ElfenMagix on Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 19:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell check on 'combat' :evil:)
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Non-Combat Academics Empty Re: Non-Combat Academics

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 19:17

I would expect Kara would like History the most. Michele is a huge history buff so I like to think that she would want to be knowledgeable so they could discuss famous people and battles and times/places during leisure time or transiting to/from a mission or waiting for the fur to fly.

She'd probably find Chemistry really cool, as well (just because I love it) and I think she'd be interested in Literature / Art / Music because she does like to visit museums.

As to classes she'd hate, probably Algebra.

Kara: "Okay, I admit I use Geometry in my work when I am calculating a shot, but I don't care what you say, Hilshire-san. I am never going to use Algebra in real life!"

I think Kara would mostly be studious, but she does have a rapier wit about her, so if the situation ever presented itself to employ it to tactical effect in class...

After all, rulers don't work on CFRP knuckles. Razz
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 19:27

For Rachel, most of this should be answered in Solution's Resolution... but here is a quick synopsis.

Fernando tutors Rachel himself for most subjects. Italian Education does not meet NYS/USA Standards. He does send her to Hillshire's multi-language class for Italian and German. Science, Math, History (USA and World), Spanish and English Fernando teaches her, along with Gymnastics, swimming and self defense.

The classes Fernando teacher her.

The classes Hillshire teaches.

-How does your cyborg act in class...teachers pet...studious...bored...class clown?
Fernando would not have her being anything but studious student in all classes. He engrained her with that long before the SWA came into their word. Thusly, she is an 'A-Student' on most if not all subjects.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 20:27

1. Shop and Engineering classes with Q Branch:

Allison in shop class: Let's fire up the wind tunnel! I've got a new aero kit design I want to test...

Allison in engineering class: I wonder how far my trebuchet can chuck an M67?

2. Culinary Arts with the SWA chefs:
Allison: Anyone daring enough to try my Wasabi Fries?

3. Driver's Ed with Olga (In which she is a teacher's aide):
Allison: Now a J-turn might look fancy, but it's not complicated if you don't overthink it. Just mash it in reverse, then when you're ready, jerk the wheel to the left to swing right, straighten out when you're facing the direction you want to go, clutch in, Shift into first, let the clutch go, and gas it. We'll go through it slowly, and then at speed...

European Literature with Hilshire:
Allison: Are we done with Madame Bovary, Mr. Hilshire?

Hilshire: Yes, Allison, you finally are--Where are you going with your copy of the book?

Allison: I need to do something that should've been done forever ago.

Allison walks to the outdoor range, picking up an AA-12 from the armory on her way out. donning hearing protection, she loads the hardback book onto a clay pigeon launcher and gets ready.

Allison: Pull!

The book flies momentarily into the air before it is vaporized in a flutter of paper and lead shot. what remains of it is quickly finished off by a Thermite grenade.

For the most part, Allison is a studious girl, though nowhere near as much as Annette. The biggest bore for her, however, is European Literature, and she tends to doze off in this class.

Finally...

Allison (tearfully): B-but Muh-mister Hilshire, I really did finish my homework! Th-those Padania jerks messed it all up!

Hilshire: May I see?

Allison: S-sure, but there's hardly anything l-left. *sniff*

Allison pulls what was once a 40-page thesis and hands it to Hilshire. Bullet holes have gouged out entire blocks of text.

Hilshire: And how did this happen?

Allison: I was rolling through an ambush, and I forgot I stuck this in the map pocket of the door...
MP5
MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 22:34

Wow, something else to piss Monty off.
Also, sorry to Voodoo for turning you into the target of Monty's ire Non-Combat Academics 61015

To: Me [monty.blacker@gmail.com]
Subject: FW:Non-Combat Academics

Monty,

Voodoo's been quizzing the other girls on this stuff and asked me to
pass it along to you. I know you don't actually attend any classes here
but... well you know as well as I do that it's a good idea to keep the
menfolk happy.

- Ferro

begin forwarded message -
From: Professor Voodoo [techdiver73@gunslinger-girl-up-with.com]
To: Ferro [f.milani@socialwelfare.gov.it]
Subject: Non-Combat Academics

Dear Ms. Milani,

Please find below the questionaire I discussed with you earlier today:

These topics always seem to set off a good conversation/debate...

In both canon & fanfictions the girls are given academic classes in addition to their combat qualifications. How does your OC cyborg deal with this?

Any random cyborg: But I really did finish my homework...it just got destroyed by Padania terrorists!

Pass it onto her ASAP if you could.

Sincerely,

- Voodoo

Monty: ... Skipper, how am I even supposed to answer this straight-like? "What's your cyborg's favorite academic class?"

Jethro: Well you don't do any of the academic courses, so don't. Ask a stupid question and you'll get a stupid answer.

To: Professor Voodoo [techdiver73@gunslinger-girl-up-with.com]
Cc: Monty [monty.blacker@gmail.com]
Subject: RE:Non-Combat Academics

Dear Mr. Voodoo,

Please find attached Ms. Blacker's quiz form.

Sincerely,

- Ferro Milani

1 attached file [non-combat_academics.pdf] CLICK to open attachement.

*CLICK > Open with: Adobe Reader 9

Well, I don't really attend the academic program at the SWA, mostly through virtue of never being there. However, the Govenor does teach me a thing or two. So out of those: SPY102 - Creative Paranoia, JTH504 - Advanced Cynicism and Sarcasm, MOD101 - Retro Fashion Shopping and probably BAR702 - Advanced Mixology.

PAN101 - Getting Shot, PAN102 - Getting Stabbed... in fact I dislike all the "PAN" code classes. ROZ301 - Getting Arrested isn't much fun either, nor is FLE402 - Advanced Filing and Document Control.

Oh, very attentive.

Ferro rarely needs to chase me for paperwork. One of the upsides of getting it right and on-time, first time, every time is that when it does hit the fan some you have to let something go, people don't generally bother asking why.

But since you're asking, of course I can deliver that with a straight face.

Last edited by Alfisti on Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 0:27; edited 1 time in total
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 23:32

Kiskaloo wrote: Kara: "Okay, I admit I use Geometry in my work when I am calculating a shot, but I don't care what you say, Hilshire-san. I am never going to use Algebra in real life!"

Voodoo: Yeah, I used to think that, kid...now I do math for a living. *sigh*

Elfen wrote:Hillshire's multi-language class for Italian and German. Science, Math, History (USA and World), Spanish and English
So in your stories Hillshire teaches all the classes? I'm currently reading S.R. but I'm only 10 chapters or so in.

The way I've imagined it, Hillshire is "Academic Supervisor," meaning he writes the schedules and manages the classes. He is personally tasked with languages & literature, but his fellow handlers & staff cover the other subjects.
Mathematics-Priscilla
History-Ferro
Driving-Olga
Art-Jean (armed with his DVD library)
Geography-Giuseppe
Sciences-Assorted Doctors
Information Security & Computers-Alessandro
As for Elio, I see him being used as a floating substitute, filling in whenever another teacher is absent.

Any volunteers for subjects unspoken for?

MP5 wrote:Allison (tearfully):
So Allison is the first cyborg who can effectively use the powerful weapon of "crocodile tears"? Impressive, that might have to make its way into a story.

Hillshire: (piecing together the remains of her "40 page thesis") Hey...this is a damn phonebook!

Triela: (snickering, amused by Allison's cheekiness) Was a phone book.

Alfisti wrote:Wow, something else to piss Monty off.
Also, sorry to Voodoo for turning you into the target of Monty's ire
Sorry...if Monty wants me to stop messing with her she has to give less amusing answers.

Marisa's answers to come...
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 23:44

Professor Voodoo wrote:\
Elfen wrote:Hillshire's multi-language class for Italian and German. Science, Math, History (USA and World), Spanish and English
So in your stories Hillshire teaches all the classes? I'm currently reading S.R. but I'm only 10 chapters or so in.

The way I've imagined it, Hillshire is "Academic Supervisor," meaning he writes the schedules and manages the classes. He is personally tasked with languages & literature, but his fellow handlers & staff cover the other subjects.
Mathematics-Priscilla
History-Ferro
Driving-Olga
Art-Jean (armed with his DVD library)
Geography-Giuseppe
Sciences-Assorted Doctors
Information Security & Computers-Alessandro
As for Elio, I see him being used as a floating substitute, filling in whenever another teacher is absent.

Any volunteers for subjects unspoken for?
Hillshire teaches only the German/Italian classes (for Rachel) Who knows what he teaches the other girls. Fernando teaches everything else for her.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 23:57

Francesca...
In SWA Beginnings: Francesca, and in hints between Solution's Resolution (around chapter 35+) and UN Resolution, she was first taught in Spain until her illness revenges her body. Then when Dr. Frankenstein turns her into a cyborg, he starts to teacher for a while until Felix becomes her handler. After Felix was killed and 'The French find her in the bottom of the ravine' they take over and put her through various foster homes and alike; her education at various schools in Southern France until she grew too old to continue. Then they let her drop out, where she manages to find her way to Rome.

Currently, she is not studying but might be in the future. In UN Resolution, Fernando is teaching her to be a computer hacker at the moment.

Anything that Felix had taught her and anything Fernando now teaches her.

Hate? Only Padania.

See Rachel, and then apply Felix and Fernando to her.
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 2:23

Britney had made it all the way through Jr. High before the Agency, so it’s nothing new to her.

As far as teachers are concerned, it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them are contacted from the outside. Teachers study for years and earn degrees in their field. It’s not the kind of thing just anyone can step into and do successfully – especially cops and ex-military personnel. I’m not saying this applies to everything, but some subjects would just be beyond the capabilities of the agency staff.
Danjo3
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 2:46

Danjo3 wrote:
As far as teachers are concerned, it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them are contacted from the outside. Teachers study for years and earn degrees in their field. It’s not the kind of thing just anyone can step into and do successfully – especially cops and ex-military personnel. I’m not saying this applies to everything, but some subjects would just be beyond the capabilities of the agency staff.

Sure, but it makes a better story if we can drop known characters into unfamiliar situations. Ferro trying to instruct a room full of bored and unruly cyborgs? Comedic potential abounds. Canon acknowledges that Hillshire teaches (chapter 2) the girls, and it seems that Jean does as well (chapter 18).

Bear in mind that these girls don't really need a top-notch education...they are all going to die before they need to compete for jobs or university slots.

How does your OC cyborg deal with this?
As promised; Marisa...

Favorite subject? She's a mathematics prodigy. One of the first things Elio told her was "To be a good diver you can't be afraid of maths," back when her brain was brand new and malleable. Similar to the way Henrietta sat up all night learning to break down her SIG efficiently, Marisa attacked numbers with a vengence during her first few weeks of life, and it stuck.
Art has become interesting lately with the revelation that she can actually create art of her own.

Least Favorite? She's utterly bored with Hillshire's French & German class. English is slightly better, but still not exciting. She also struggles in History, which is vexing to Elio, who is something of a history buff.

Behavior in class? Mari is the one listening to her mp3 player when she thinks the teacher isn't looking.

"The Padania ate my homework!" Give her some credit...Marisa would concoct a way more complicated, exciting, and ultimately stupid excuse for not doing her homework.

ElfenMagix wrote:edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell check on 'combat' Non-Combat Academics 817766)
Thanks for the edit, Elfen. Perhaps I should have done my homework.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 3:11

Professor Voodoo wrote:Sorry...if Monty wants me to stop messing with her she has to give less amusing answers.
Monty: (que Monty's best "your're a moron" face) That was not intended to be amusing Mister Voodoo.

Professor Voodoo wrote:Bear in mind that these girls don't really need a top-notch education...they are all going to die before they need to compete for jobs or university slots.
I'm inclined to agree with Voodoo here (despite how Monty may currently regard his intellectual prowess). I think what tutelage the girls are getting seems to be by staff, possibly in said staff's areas of interest or expertiese. The other issue of course with bringing teachers in is the security issue of having one more outside person in the compound and with access to the girls.

Part of me also reckons that each girl is given a bit of work beyond the base course depending on what their handler thinks is appropriate: note Claes's solo movie sessions and Triela seemingly being the only person writing a particular essay.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 3:55

Alfisti wrote:The other issue of course with bringing teachers in is the security issue of having one more outside person in the compound and with access to the girls.
Yeah, but let’s face it – when it come to canon, the SWA is Italy’s best kept secret that everyone and thier dog seems to know about. Non-Combat Academics 684325
Danjo3
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 4:10

Danjo3 wrote: the SWA is Italy’s best kept secret that everyone and thier dog seems to know about. Non-Combat Academics 684325

Well yeah...now that Marco & Giuse brought Angelica's dog's to the compound all the dogs in Europe are gonna know about it!
Non-Combat Academics Dog10
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Comments :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 10:34

My personal view has generally been that the canon girls were receiving a basic first grade secondary school education (scuola secondaria di primo grado) since it best matches the girl's ages of 11-14.

Since Kara was in lycée in France (their second grade secondary school), I tended to think she was mostly privately tutored as she'd already knew the curriculum the canon girls were being taught so she'd get little from it and would find the classes boring.

I do believe the girls are educated for practical purposes - ignorance is dangerous - but I also very much like Professor Voodoo's idea that it is also done to keep the girls busy during "downtime" - we all have shown with our OC's that "idle minds are the Devil's plaything", even in the shadow of Saint Peters.

Non-Combat Academics Bored_Kara
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacen Starslayer Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 12:25

Jay [to Priscilla]: You never told me I had to go to class.
Priscilla: Didn't anyone come and deliver the message.
Jay: Well, everyday some guy in a suit comes and yells at me in Italian...

In both canon & fanfictions the girls are given academic
classes in addition to their combat qualifications. How does your OC
cyborg deal with this?

Physical Education, Shop Class, Literature and Art

All of the foreign languages, any class which is taught by Jean.

In class, he tends to do one of four things.
-Pay attention
-Draws random doodles
-Discreetly listens to music
-sleeps

Jay: But I really did finish my homework...it just got destroyed by Padania terrorists.

[turns in a partial incinerated copy of some of Priscilla's old paperwork.]

Hillshire: What happened to it?

Jay: Well, [insert unbelievable story here involving a rocket launcher hitting the homework.]
Jacen Starslayer
Jacen Starslayer

Male

Forum Posts : 525

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve 2, Fate/Stay Night, Ah! My Goddess, etc.

Original Characters : Jay Valentine

Comments : "The man who tries to please everyone, will never be happy with themselves."

Registration date : 2010-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum