Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter 2013 Anime

+3
Piero
Officer_Charon
Kiskaloo
7 posters

Go down

Winter 2013 Anime Empty Winter 2013 Anime

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 15:29

V2 of the chart is out:

Winter 2013 Anime Winter_2013

Titles that look interesting include:

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Alternative Two
Mimami-ke Tadaima
Tamako Market
(It's by the team who did K-On!, so how can it not be good?)
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru (It's the Director of Usagi Drop working with the Series Composer of Natsu-iro Kiseki)
Kotoura-san
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Yama no Susume
Vividred Operation
(It's the Director of Strike Witches working with the Series Composer of My-HiME and Macross Frontier)

We get a new 08th MS Team short film and a To aru Majutsu no Index feature film.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Winter 2013 Anime Empty Re: Winter 2013 Anime

Post by Officer_Charon Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 12:33

No Sword Art Online Season 2. I has a sad.
Officer_Charon
Officer_Charon

Male

Forum Posts : 1472

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 25 Dec 2012 - 15:42

Officer_Charon wrote:No Sword Art Online Season 2. I has a sad.

The information I have is rather second hand, but supposedly a key person involved with SAO said in an interview that there wouldn't be a second season before 2014. That being said, the show was mega popular so its chances of getting a Season Two are pretty decent. Which is good, because people who thought the Fairy Dance arc sucked need a chance to see Phantom Bullet and Mother's Rosario.

Kiskaloo wrote:Vividred Operation (It's the Director of Strike Witches working with the Series Composer of My-HiME and Macross Frontier)

Was the second bit added on for my benefit by any chance? Razz

Hiroyuki Yoshino has a very mixed track record (hello Guilty Crown) but at his best he's an excellent writer (the term "Series Composer" essentially refers to the head writer for a show, not the person responsible for the soundtrack), so I'm pretty much compelled to check this one out even if I think the trailer has too many low angle shots. Winter 2013 Anime 684325

Overall I'm not really seeing too much to be excited about TV series wise (I liked the first season of Minami-ke, but I haven't seen much of the sequels), but then quite a few of my favorite series are ones I didn't expect much of based on preview descriptions, so I guess I'll do the usual "sample a bunch of stuff at the beginning of the season and see what I like" routine.

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Sun 30 Dec 2012 - 21:20

The new shows I might end up checking out:

Ai Mai Mi: I have no idea how they are going to play the "evil invaders" thing, but it's worth an episode or two

Minami-ke Tadaima: yay! More Minami-ke. Apparently this is supposed to be as well done as the first series. Since I even enjoyed the other two, I am looking forward to this.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga sukunai NEXT: I enjoyed the first series, in large part because many of the characters had some serious problems interacting with other people, and it helped to counter the "harem for no reason" schtick.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai: It's from SHAFT, so I'll give it a try just for the heck of it. I've seen comparisons with this to Kamimemo, but I doubt SHAFT will go that route...

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: The premise of a human hero and a demon queen plotting to end all wars for humans and demons sounds interesting. A demon queen with big horns and bigger... other assets, is also a plus.

Tmako Market: I am not sure where Kyoto animation will be going with this, but I'll give it at least an episode or two.

Vividred Operation: I'll give this girls and mechs show a try. The director also did Strike Witches... though I'm not sure if that will turn out to be good or bad...

Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo: I'll watch at least a few episodes due to the presense of a bunny girl. Winter 2013 Anime 50022
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 1 Jan 2013 - 15:09

Kokoro Connect - Michi Random Arc [Episodes 14-17]

I guess the show was popular enough to support animating the fourth light novel, which was shown back-to-back on the AT-X premium channel on 30 December. I admit to finding the show originally ending on the third arc (Episodes 11-13) to be a bit abrupt so these new episodes allowed the show to end more cohesively, IMO.

There are nine light novels and one side story, so I guess if the Blu-rays for this arc sell strong, they might animate additional arcs.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 17:26

Maoyū Maō Yūsha
The story is set in a world embroiled by war between Humans and Demons. The Humans' greatest hero invades the Demon Queen's castle determined to vanquish her. However, instead of fighting back, the Queen proposes an alliance with the Hero. She explains how a sudden end to the war can bring further chaos to the world as the Humans once united to stand against their common enemies would eventually begin fighting among themselves, with similar issues already occurring at the Demon Realm. Convinced by her words, the Hero joins forces with the Queen and together they execute a plan to bring prosperity and a lasting peace to both Humans and Demons alike.
A clever idea hopefully executed well. The Demon Queen reminds me very much of a certain sage wolf

Mangirl!
An anime adaption of a four-panel manga that follows the daily life of naive Editor-in-Chief Hana and "Japan's cutest manga editors" as they attempt to realize their dream of launching the #1 manga magazine — even though they have zero experience in actually editing manga.
As an anime adaption of a 4-koma, it's only three minutes long. It was kinda funny, and in the opening credits Aki Torii looks a lot like Claes, so since it's so short I'll sample it again.

Ai Mai Mi
An anime adaption of a four-panel manga that follows girls in a manga club — Ai, Mai, Mī, and Ponoka-sempai — who might be fighting evil invaders threatening Earth, facing off against rivals in tournaments, and dealing with other absurd situations when they are not drawing manga.
Not sure why they bothered releasing this against Mangirl! since it's far inferior in every way. Even at three minutes, it runs too long.

Yama no Susume
The title tells the story of the childhood friends Aoi, a girl who prefers staying inside and who has acrophobia, and Hinata, a girl who loves mountains. The two decide to climb a mountain in order to once again see the morning sun from its peak as they did when they were young.
This show is also only a few minutes long, but the first episode didn't do anything for me so I'm dropping it.

Boku no Imōto wa "Ōsaka Okan"
Due to his family's circumstances, high school student Kyōsuke has been separated from his sister Namika for around 10 years. When they are finally reunited, Kyōsuke realizes a lot has changed about her. Completely turned Osaka-n, Namika tries to teach him about the ways of the place she lived and the way they talk.
Are you interested in in learning the linguistic differences between Tokyo and Osaka via cheaply-done Adobe Flash animation?

I sure wasn't. Dropped.

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru [Oreshura]
A young boy called Eita enters high school aiming for the National University School of Medicine. Because of his parents' divorce and his goal, he shuns anything to do with romance or love. One day Masuzu, the school beauty with the silver hair, who's just returned to the country, enters his life in a most unexpected way. Chiwa, his childhood friend since elementary school, will not let this go without a fight.
Yup, it is a harem show. But based on the first episode, it looks like it could be a well-done harem show. The OP is catchy and they kept all the fan service contained to it.

Minami-ke Tadaima
The third TV series based on the ongoing manga by Coharu Sakuraba.
It's Minami-ke and I really like Minami-ke so automatic win. Smile

Milky Holmes Alternative ONE
The first of two spinoff specials set in an alternate storyline in which the girl detectives do not lose the "Toys" that grant them special powers. They visit their teacher Opera Kobayashi in London, but as soon as they arrive, they are asked to solve a case of five paintings.
I'm a fan of the two previous Milky Holmes series, in no small part because of their silliness. In this special, the girls are competent detectives for a change so it ended up not being entertaining to me. Go figure.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 20:01; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 17:40

Love Live ! a bit like K-On ! and AKB-0048,high school girls form an Idol group to help recruit new students and prevent the schools closing

Winter 2013 Anime Loveli10
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 18:20

I'm kinda burned out from all the idol anime the last few seasons, but I might give it a shot.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 1:25

Kiskaloo wrote:Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru [Oreshura]
A young boy called Eita enters high school aiming for the National University School of Medicine. Because of his parents' divorce and his goal, he shuns anything to do with romance or love. One day Masuzu, the school beauty with the silver hair, who's just returned to the country, enters his life in a most unexpected way. Chiwa, his childhood friend since elementary school, will not let this go without a fight.
Yup, it is a harem show. But based on the first episode, it looks like it could be a well-done harem show. The OP is catchy and they kept all the fan service contained to it.
I caught the first episode of this and Love Live! (and something involving a girl with no shadow, no idea what that was) whilst in Tokyo... I'll probably give both a stab subbed, if only to see if what I thought was going on was what was actually going on.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 10:47

Alfisti wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru [Oreshura]

I caught the first episode of this and Love Live! (and something involving a girl with no shadow, no idea what that was) whilst in Tokyo... I'll probably give both a stab subbed, if only to see if what I thought was going on was what was actually going on.

The show with the girl with no shadow was the most recent episode of Little Busters!.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 10 Jan 2013 - 12:44

Tamako Market
Tamako is just a normal young girl whose family has been making mochi for generations. As her birthday approaches, she happens to meet a talking bird who claims to be a royal court attendant looking for a bride for his master. After the encounter, Dera the bird decides to stay around her and becomes a part of Tamako's life and the neighborhood that she lives in.
It's a moe KyoAni project run by the team behind K-On!. That makes it awesome by default for me. Not a fan of the bird, however. NO

Vividred Operation
The story is set in a futuristic and peaceful world made possible thanks to the invention of the Manifestation Engine (示現エンジン Jigen Enjin?), which solved an energy crisis five years prior. On the island of Ima Oshima, Akane Isshiki lives a peaceful life with her family. When the world is threatened by an alien force known as the Alone, Akane takes up a special battle suit created by her grandfather known as the Vivid System to face against the threat.
Jeremy Clarkson: "This show has not gone well..."

Think "Scientific Magical Girl". sweat

Kotoura-san
Haruka Kotoura, a girl who was born with the ability to read minds, has often been shunned and alone due to her ability causing trouble for others. After transferring to a new high school, she meets Yoshihisa Manabe, a dim-witted boy who resolves to stay by her side. Together, they join their school's ESP Research Club.
If they focus more on keeping it a drama and not a comedy, I think it could be something special. Unfortunately, I expect they won't.

Love Live! School idol project
Honoka Kōsaka loves her school. That's why it's bad news for her when she finds out it's being shut down due to lack of new students. In order to bring in more students, Honoka decides to start a "school idol group", which is certain to get the eyes of the public. To make this dream a reality, she gathers together her close friends and classmates to make the best idol unit possible.
ANN's Preview Guide reviewers are currently 3 to 1 in favor of the show so I gave it a whirl. IMO, The iDOLM@STER did it better, but AKB0048 did it worse and yet they received the second season, so...

GJ-bu
Based on a series of four-page short stories about the daly lives of high school kids.
It's very much in the vein of shows like Seitokai no Ichizon and Seitokai Yakuindomo where you have one guy and a number of girls in a room going through the motions of their day as hilarity ensures. Except that this show isn't all that funny. So while I would normally be inclined to give it a go based on the anime it is similar to, I found it too boring...

Senran Kagura
A television anime adaptation of the side-scrolling action game featuring female ninjas.
The "adaption" was to give all the female ninjas massive boobs and the ability to strip out of their clothes quickly to outwit opponents.

Winter 2013 Anime Triela_Forehead

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:56; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 23:29

Of the new shows I've seen thus far, I think Maoyuu Maou Yuusha has made the best first impression. Though that's more because of the hilarious way the first episode skewers fantasy RPG cliches than because of the economics oriented plot about trying to bring an end to a war between humans and demons in a way that won't see both sides dissolve into infighting.

Someone on another forum recommended Oreshura. I have mixed feelings on it thus far. Not big on the OP and the childhood friend character is obnoxious. On the other hand the male lead being a studious guy with a goal of getting into med school puts him leagues ahead of some harem show protagonists, and the half-foreign girl is voiced by Yukari Tamura, an awesome voice actress I tend to associate with batshit insane characters. Smile Also as romantic comedy plotlines go you could do a lot worse than "popular girl who is disillusioned with romance blackmails guy who is disillusioned with romance into pretending to be her boyfriend so that other boys will stop confessing to her." I'll give it some time to see how it shapes up.

I kind of liked the idea of a drama focusing on the lives of the people of a Japanese shopping district, but Tamako Market is not my cup of tea. I particularly didn't like the talking bird. (Supposedly there were other fantasy elements originally, but then a lot of stuff got cut. Perhaps the creators should have either kept more of the fantasy elements or cut them out completely.)

I enjoyed Love Live more than I feel I should have. Winter 2013 Anime 61015 (Though I think I'm hoping to see some good drama, which may not be the smartest of hopes under the circumstances.) That being said I think I'm also starting to think the idol anime craze is getting to be a bit much. And the success of one of my favorite anime series of the last few years is probably at least partly to blame for it (I'm referring to Macross Frontier).

I'll probably check out Vividred Operation after I get caught up on Zetsuen no Tempest (a show I liked that is carrying over from last season).

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 1:35

Kiskaloo wrote:
Vividred Operation
The story is set in a futuristic and peaceful world made possible thanks to the invention of the Manifestation Engine (示現エンジン Jigen Enjin?), which solved an energy crisis five years prior. On the island of Ima Oshima, Akane Isshiki lives a peaceful life with her family. When the world is threatened by an alien force known as the Alone, Akane takes up a special battle suit created by her grandfather known as the Vivid System to face against the threat.
Jeremy Clarkson: "This show has not gone well..."

Think "Scientific Magical Girl". Winter 2013 Anime 61015

Not sure what you thought was so awful about it. The first episode doesn't exactly break out of the mold set by the beginnings of numerous Sentai, Super Robot, and Magical Girl shows over the years, but for the type of beginning it was it seemed pretty well done. Well done enough that I was able to enjoy the episode a fair bit despite the show not being what I generally consider to be my cup of tea genre wise.

Okay, it is kind of heavy on the moe, and I'm concerned about where the show is going to be going in the coming episodes, but I hardly see it as an awful beginning. Though that could be because I was sort of expecting something much worse.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 11:56

Piero wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:
Vividred Operation

Not sure what you thought was so awful about it.

My main thought as I watched it was that it reminded me of Strike Witches, just not done as well. And yes, plot-wise I know it has nothing in common with Strike Witches, but style-wise it had the cute girls in tight-fitting garments that highlighted their privates and their asses and combat and a girl flying. However, I felt the combat scenes were not as well-done and I felt the animation quality was inferior.

Was it garbage? Not at all. But I found myself groaning more than smiling as I watched it. That said, I'll give it a second episode before I make a decision on whether to keep it or drop it.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 11:17; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 12 Jan 2013 - 18:46

Piero wrote:Oreshura... Not big on the OP and the childhood friend character is obnoxious.
I'll be honest, watching it in Japanese I thought she was an annoying little sister, not a childhood friend.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 13 Jan 2013 - 16:27

Watched a few more new shows.

Kotoura-san: I actually found this one somewhat enjoyable, though it was perhaps excessively heavy handed in its portrayal of how developing a mind reading power when you're too young to understand that you should hide it would suck.
Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?: Well, I guess it gives my brother something with a bunch of animal-ears girls to watch.
Sasami-San@Ganbarai: Fortunately this appears to be a parody. I darn well hope its intended to be parody at any rate.

Also seen the second episodes for Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and Oreshura. At this point Maoyuu Mao Yuusha remains my top recommendation for the new shows this season.

Edit: Oh, I also saw the first episode of GJ-bu with my anime buddies yesterday. Not very impressed. Amnesia did not impress me overly much either, but I didn't have as strong a negative reaction to it.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Sun 13 Jan 2013 - 21:44

Initial reactions:

Ai Mai Mi
: So-so.

Minami-ke Tadaima: Great first episode of the new season. Re-introducd the main sisters, and showed that while the side-characters are funny in their own right, the show works perfectly well focusing on the sisters. As good as the first season

Boku wa Tomodachi ga sukunai NEXT: Picked up well from the last season. Just as good, so far at least, as the first season. The character are still as disfunctional and not readily capable interacting normally.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai: There was chocolate, more chocolate, boob missiles, and even more chocolate. The show is not about chocolate. Whoever put this together needs to stop the NyQuil enemas...

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: Decent so far. Can't tell if the plot will be good or not yet, but it does have potential. Also, the demon queen has attractive... assets...

Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo: Love the bunny girl. Here's the thing though: If this turns into another turnament anime then I'll be dropping it. However, if they really play up the characters idosycracies, it has a chance of turning out well.

Haven't had a chance to see the first episodes of Tmako Market or Vividred Operation.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 14:18

So I see Vividred Operation is being directed and co-written by Kazuhiro Takamura, who directed and wrote Strike Witches and Strike Witches 2, so that explains why I had that vibe. It is also co-written by My-HiME and My-Otome scriptwriter Hiroyuki Yoshino, and I get a sense of those two shows, as well.

Anyway, I do intend to give it at least one or two more episodes as having senior staff from those four shows should be enough to draw me back in, I would expect.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 2:09

Kiskaloo wrote:So I see Vividred Operation is being directed and co-written by Kazuhiro Takamura, who directed and wrote Strike Witches and Strike Witches 2, so that explains why I had that vibe. It is also co-written by My-HiME and My-Otome scriptwriter Hiroyuki Yoshino, and I get a sense of those two shows, as well.

Anyway, I do intend to give it at least one or two more episodes as having senior staff from those four shows should be enough to draw me back in, I would expect.

Hadn't you mentioned the writer and director back at the beginning of this thread?

At any rate, I'll admit Yoshino's involvement is part of the reason I have such a strong interest in the show. The guy wrote my two all time favorite anime series (Mai-HiME and Macross Frontier) but his most anime original series was Guilty Crown, which even I had to admit had serious writing issues (actually his track record in general is somewhat mixed, but those are the extreme examples for me). So I'm very curious to see how Vividred Operation turns out. So far the writing seems serviceable enough for a show of this type (I enjoyed the first episode depite not being a huge moe fan, though that was partly due to the execution), but Yoshino's stuff can be hard to properly judge from just the early episodes. (Mai-HiME, Macross Frontier, and Guilty Crown all had pretty decent starts, but HiME and Frontier got really strong later on while Guilty Crown turned into a trainwreck.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 11:43

Piero wrote:Hadn't you mentioned the writer and director back at the beginning of this thread?

Yes, but I then promptly forgot about it until I read ANN's review of the show yesterday. sweat
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 17 Jan 2013 - 19:24

I've been getting a lot of pleasure out of Psycho-Pass the last few months, and as it continues into the new season I felt inspired to make another AMV:

I decided to submit it to the AMV Contest at the upcoming Ohayocon and I'm pleased to say that it made the Official Selection (stop sniggering, I know that it's not exactly Cannes, but it's nice to have some note of appreciation anyway). If any of you just happen to be in Cleveland on Saturday, swing by, give me a vote, and stroke my under-nurtured ego. Laughing
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 12:25

Vividred Operation - Episode 02

Take Strike Witches, place the show in 2022 as opposed to 1942, and instead of witches, make them magical girls in the style of My-HiMe (in that they wield non-projectile weapons).

I am just going to pre-assume this will become my guilty pleasure anime of 2013.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Fri 18 Jan 2013 - 14:28

Kiskaloo wrote:Vividred Operation - Episode 02

Take Strike Witches, place the show in 2022 as opposed to 1942, and instead of witches, make them magical girls in the style of My-HiMe (in that they wield non-projectile weapons).

I am just going to pre-assume this will become my guilty pleasure anime of 2013.

plus an alien foe with a core to be destroyed
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 0:54

A few updates...

Kotoura-san (Episode 2): The drama in this drama-comedy still comes across as somewhat overly heavy handed, but I’m finding it to be a decent series.
Love Live (Episode 2): I have difficulty making up my mind on this show. On one hand, the three main girls aren’t too bad and there’s some acknowledgement of the fact that it’s a lot of work to be an idol. On the other hand… it still seems kind of shallow and a lot of the other characters who haven’t gotten a lot of focus yet seem really shallow. Then again maybe I shouldn’t be looking for depth in a show that’s being used to promote an idol group…
Vividred Operation (Episode 2): This show is probably not doing Yoshino's post Guilty Crown reputation any favors. (At least with certain segments of the Western anime fandom.) Oh well, at least it’s entertaining. Though I could do with some less perverted attack names. Winter 2013 Anime 61015
Also if we're making Mai-franchise comparisons, I think Otome is a better comparison than HiME. Another good comparison would be Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, since that has very heavy mecha influences.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 11:25

Maoyū Maō Yūsha [Episodes 02 and 03]
Cross Spice and Wolf with Record of Lodoss War. And yet, it works. That being said, this show was originally written by 2-chan, so how it ends up remains to be seen.

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru [Oreshura] [Episodes 02 and 03]
I tend to think I like this show more for what it is not, than what it is... Hmm...

Tamako Market [Episode 02]
Tracking to form for a KyoAni moe comedy. The bird was not quite as annoying, so maybe I am getting used to it.

Mimami-ke Tadaima [Episode 02]
Standard Mimami-ke fare. Which makes me happy.

Kotoura-san [Episode 02]
As I expected, they're going for the comedy over the drama. I could probably stick with it, but I've seen enough of these shows to know how it ends (everyone's happy), so I am going to take back that 30 minutes of my life and drop it.

Piero wrote:Also if we're making Mai-franchise comparisons, I think Otome is a better comparison than HiME. Another good comparison would be Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, since that has very heavy mecha influences.

Never seen Otome or Nanoha, so I shall defer to your experience. Smile

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 19:34; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 13:16

Kiskaloo wrote:Maoyū Maō Yūsha [Episodes 02 and 03]
Cross Spice and Wolf with Record of Lodoss War. And yet, it works. That being said, this show was originally written by 2-chan, so how it ends up remains to be seen.

Piero wrote:Also if we're making Mai-franchise comparisons, I think Otome is a better comparison than HiME. Another good comparison would be Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, since that has very heavy mecha influences.

Never seen Otome or Nanoha, so I shall defer to your experience. Smile

Ah, you'd mentioned getting vibes of "those two shows as well" after finding out the scriptwriter for Vividred worked on HiME and Otome, so I assumed you'd seen both of the Mai-series. Oh well, at least you've seen the better of the two. Razz

Also, at the risk of nit picking, I think you're confusing Maoyu Mao Yuusha with that "Hell Kindergarten" show I'd read about on Random Curiosity. That's the one that had crowd sourced writing, Maoyu Mao Yuusha is based on a series of light novels.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 19 Jan 2013 - 14:05

Piero wrote:Also, at the risk of nit picking, I think you're confusing Maoyu Mao Yuusha with that "Hell Kindergarten" show I'd read about on Random Curiosity. That's the one that had crowd sourced writing, Maoyu Mao Yuusha is based on a series of light novels.

Before he adapted them into light novels in 2010, Mamare Touno posted the series in the form of a play on 2channel in 2009. So that is probably where I "crossed the streams" between the two shows. sweat

So I guess it should be described as a cross between Spice and Wolf and the Military-Industrial Complex. Razz
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 22 Jan 2013 - 12:34

Inferno Cop [Episodes 01-05]
If Japan had a block of programming like Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim", this 3-minute show would definitely be on it. It is both dumb and funny at the same time.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 26 Jan 2013 - 18:00

Four episodes in, I'd say that Maoyū Maō Yūsha is my favorite show of the season. It's not amazing, but it is very entertaining.

Also four episodes in, I'm starting to lose interest in Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru [OreShura]. I expect Natsukawa does have feelings for Eita and therefore this show will turn into a standard rom-com where two girls fight for the guy.

I have definitely lost interest in Kotoura-san. They are definitely playing it for comedy and while there is nothing wrong with that decision, comedy is not what interested me in the show in the first place.

Tamako Market finally hit all cylinders with their third episode and it's starting to gel as a complete package for me.

I find Vividred Operation a bit of a mess because it draws from so many other shows. Grandpa draws from Negima's Albert Chamomile. The girl's outfits are inspired by idol outfits from shows like AKB0048 and The iDOLM@STER. And, of course, the strong Strike Witches influences. All that being said, it successfully holds up under its own weight and looks to be my first guilty pleasure anime of 2013.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 4:38

So after three attempts at watching the second episode of Love Live! I've given in and given up, and Oreshura is looking like going the same direction.

Kiskaloo wrote:I have definitely lost interest in Kotoura-san. They are definitely playing it for comedy and while there is nothing wrong with that decision, comedy is not what interested me in the show in the first place.
This one I actually tried picking up, and I'm in agreement that if they can get the drama/comedy balance right it should be good. Fortunately the second half of ep03 went back to being drama so I'll keep at it.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 1 Feb 2013 - 17:35

Alfisti wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:I have definitely lost interest in Kotoura-san. They are definitely playing it for comedy and while there is nothing wrong with that decision, comedy is not what interested me in the show in the first place.

This one I actually tried picking up, and I'm in agreement that if they can get the drama/comedy balance right it should be good. Fortunately the second half of ep03 went back to being drama so I'll keep at it.

I think I fast-forwarded past the second half of the third episode, so I went back and watched it. Honestly, I think episode 04 tied up the series for me as the four episodes made a pretty complete story arc. Smile

And as of Tamako Market 04, I now like the bird.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 19:14

Kiskaloo wrote:
Alfisti wrote:

I think I fast-forwarded past the second half of the third episode, so I went back and watched it. Honestly, I think episode 04 tied up the series for me as the four episodes made a pretty complete story arc. Smile
Ep04 did round it out fairly neatly. Little worried it'll go comedy now...

Also, looks like the ESP society leader (can't remember her name) uses Globe-Trotter luggage.... huh.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 11 Feb 2013 - 21:59

Mid-Season Update

Overall, I have to say I have found this season to be rather "meh". I find myself each week looking forward to shows from the previous season (Shinseki Yori and Little Busters!) or even the previous year (Space Brothers) than I do anything from this season.

Maoyū Maō Yūsha - The best thing I am watching this season, but I'm not sure I'd buy if it was released in R1.

Tamako Market - Has grown on me a fair bit, especially the bird, whom I hated at first.

Mimami-ke Tadaima - Always enjoyable, but nothing we haven't seen in the previous series and OAVs.

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - Turned into a standard harem anime with the latest batch of girls. Not really finding anything of great interest, so I dropped it with episode 06.

Kotoura-san - This show is actually not bad as a comedy, so I have declared the first half of the first episode to never have happened.

Vividred Operation - As my guilty pleasures go, it's the weakest. But as a guilty pleasure, I'll finish it off. Definitely won't buy it, however, which probably means it's more guilty than pleasure.

Mangirl! - Short yet silly. I tend to forget each episode by the credits.

Inferno Cop - Getting more stupid and less funny as it goes.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 17:22

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episodes 11-14
Another brilliant four installments by the writers. Episode 11 especially was full of surprises.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 18:26

I've been getting a great deal of pleasure out of the continuing adventures of Psycho-Pass this season. I've been genuinely excited for and eagerly anticipated each week's new episode. While the previous episode was pretty clumsy (and looked as thought production had been subcontracted to Shaft!), it's been a fun version of future crime and a gripping thriller.

Inferno Cop - Getting more stupid and less funny as it goes.

But the race was one of the most hi-octane and adrenalin-charged feats of television ever achieved! The high stakes! The fatal sacrifice! And that drifting! Better than any Grand Prix, made it look like a biddy with a zimmer frame in the park by comparison.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 28 Feb 2013 - 19:43

Robert Frazer wrote:I've been getting a great deal of pleasure out of the continuing adventures of Psycho-Pass this season. I've been genuinely excited for and eagerly anticipated each week's new episode. While the previous episode was pretty clumsy (and looked as thought production had been subcontracted to Shaft!), it's been a fun version of future crime and a gripping thriller.

I've dropped Vividred Operation, Kotoura and Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo due to being unable to maintain interest, so I might give this one a shot.

Has anyone been following either Chihayafuru or Polar Bear Cafe? The Anime News Network staffers continue to gush over both, but they've been running close to a year now so that's a major commitment to try and get caught up.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun 10 Mar 2013 - 15:03; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 9 Mar 2013 - 16:03

Since I don't want to wait, I have been buying the Blu-rays of Yamato 2199 so I can watch them the day they're released.

For those who download them, Nubles has released Episodes 11 and 12 from the latest BRD volume, so I expect they will have 13 and 14 out later today. IMO, they're the best of the groups releasing the show.

The series will also start it's weekly television broadcast starting April 7th.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 16:27

With the completion of the Winter 2013 season, time to issue the final grades for the shows I watched.

Tamako Market - A

One of the best things KyoAni has put out since the original K-On!. Let's get crackin on the R1 Blu-rays for this and Chūnibyō Demo Koi Ga Shitai, Sentai.

Minami-ke Tadaima - A-

Every series and OAV have followed the same "day in the life" path, but I admit I really like the lives of the Minami sisters and their friends. If someone ever releases these titles in R1, I'll buy them.

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - B

Not your father's harem show, but a harem show nonetheless and therefore it has the tropes and cliches of such (especially the final episode). That being said, it didn't wallow in them, which was a pleasant surprise and elevates the final grade.

Maoyū Maō Yūsha - B

They must be getting a second season based on how it ended. Overall, I think Spice and Wolf did it better, but the show was enjoyable, overall.

Kotoura-san - B-

When it comes time for the 2013 Anime Awards, this show will win for "Most Bi-Polar Storyline". Razz

I actually stopped watching this show around episode 06 as it seemed to have decided to be a comedy, but ANN's final review brought me back as the writers decided to do yet another 180 starting with episode 09 and the introduction of a criminal for Kotoura to use her powers to try and bring for justice as well as the re-appearance of Haruka's mother and their reconciliation. And while the show started with a sad opening, it of course finished with a happy ending.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - B-

Another one I dropped about halfway, but like Koutoura, I came back to it based on ANN's overall review of the show. The first two episodes really turned me off, but once it moved past the ridiculousness of Mashiro being unable to do anything and started to bring in the surrounding cast, it ended up being overall a decent show even if it dragged a bit in the middle (I think it would have been better if it had ended after 13 episodes with the School Festival).

Mangirl! - B-

As 4-koma go, it was average, but I gave it extra credit because Aki Torii is a perfect model for a 20-something Claes.

Inferno Cop - C-

The show was crazy enough in it's first episode to draw me in, but as it progressed it became weaker and weaker. That the final episode's credits were longer than the final episode itself should say something...

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 11:43; edited 3 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Sun 14 Apr 2013 - 22:21

Ai Mai Mi: I have no idea how they are going to play the "evil invaders" thing, but it's worth an episode or two

My thoughts as the shows finished up now...

Minami-ke Tadaima
: Almost as good as the first season. Great watch

Boku wa Tomodachi ga sukunai NEXT: Aside from the useless new student body member character, it was as good as the first series. There was actual character development, though the ending was a bit silly.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai: Very weird, but very enjoyable.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: Sequal NOW!

Tmako Market: Droipped it after a couple of episodes. That bird needs to die.

Vividred Operation:
Light, silly, and ultimately nothing that requires much thought. Nive for after a hard day of work.

Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo: At least two fo the three children weren't invincable...

Shinsekai Yori: It was a well made story, but it has the type of ening that makes me rage. The survivors need to experience the same "justice" they inflicted at the end.

Psycho-Pass: This is screaming for a sequal, and that sequal would be awesome.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content