Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer 2012 Anime

+8
Ggultra2764
Triela
Awinnell
SPARTAN 119
Entropy
Piero
Kiskaloo
MadHatChemist
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Summer 2012 Anime Empty Summer 2012 Anime

Post by MadHatChemist Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 17:24

Summer 2012 Anime Neregate.com-Summer-2012-Anime-v3

News shows that I might watch:

Tari Tari -- From the discription of the show, it sounds like the they might be going for something series. I'll watch a few episodes to find out

Jinrui wa Suitai Chimashita -- A future world where humans are becoming extinct and the dominant species are fairies? Worth taking a gander to see how they play that premise

Kokoro Connect -- Boys and girls switching bodies. Could be pure ecchi, but I'm curious to see how they handle it.

La Storia della Arcn Famiglia -- It could be a dark and mysterious, or it could devolve into a moe reverse harem shonen fighting tournament. Hoping to find out that its the former...

Binbou-gami ga!
-- Proof that overly happy people will makes others morose. Worth a gander.

Yuru Yuri -- I liked the first season, so I'll be watching this one as well.
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Summer 2012 Anime Empty Re: Summer 2012 Anime

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 17:45

Looks like another light season for me (subject to change once I see ANN's reviews of the shows as they air).

I found YuruYuri funny enough to come back for seconds and as for Tari Tari, I tend to like these types of stories, so will give it a shot.

A Blood-C movie? I am so there. And I'm always good for a Space Cruiser Yamato film.

Oda Nabuna no Yabou looks like the reverse of Sengoku Complex.

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 2 Jun 2012 - 20:49

Most anticipated TV series for me is definitely the second season of Rinne no Lagrange, which was my favorite show of the Winter 2012 anime season. The first season did a great job with character building but didn't get into the main storyline that much. I'm hoping season two will get into the meat of the story and finally let the show shake off the "rather cliche" impression it made with the early season one episodes. (The character building helped with that, but I think the show could still benefit from a bit more ambition.)

Otherwise, I'll probably end up doing the usual sample a bunch of TV animes and then drop some of them (although with my anime watching crew having shifted focus somewhat I may not get introduced to as much of the upcoming season's stuff through them as in other recent seasons). There are a couple shows that interest me though. Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse has my interest because of some girls with guns pics relating to the game its based on as well as internet buzz I've heard regarding both the show and the game it's based on. Plus Mai Nakahara will be doing voice work in it. There's also some buzz about Sword Art Online, which seems to have some relation to Accel World -although then again there was buzz about Accel World and so far I haven't found it particularly exceptional.

OVA wise the Code Geass OVAs look kind of interesting -Code Geass may have been a train wreck, but it was a highly entertaining trainwreck. Plus how can you possibly go wrong combining Code Geass with Alice in Wonderland? Summer 2012 Anime 684325

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 11:27

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Episode 01)

In 1967, intelligent alien life is detected on Mars. Unfortunately, this life is hostile and the nations of Earth pool their technological resources to establish a military defense line on the Moon. The first Lunar War is waged, but by 1973 the lunar defense forces are defeated and the aliens make planetfall in The 'Stans. Within 25 years they have conquered the entire Eurasian landmass and now threaten the Empire of Japan. Fortunately for the people of Japan, they have cute schoolgirls with rocking tits and giant mecha to defend them.

To it's credit, rather then start with a big battle and then flashback to character development and training, this show starts with the character development, showcases the training a new pilot receives and then throws them into the epic battle. Smile

That being said, this is an anime version of a romantic simulation game, so while at times it reminded me of Gunbuster, there is also teenage shenanigans, angst and rivalries.

Tari Tari (Episode 01)

Denied a spot on the school choir in her senior year due to grievous mistake during the recital the previous year, Konatsu Miyamoto decides to start her own choral group independent of the official one. This first episode is dedicated to introducing the three girls and two boys who will form the core cast so there is no time for plot development as of yet, though it's obvious Konatsu will be recruiting the other four to join her choir club. The manga launched two months prior, so I would expect both media formats will follow in parallel.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (Episode 01)

In the future, humanity is on the decline and society has moved back to a mix of hunter-gatherer and agrarian in order to try and feed itself. It appears that before the fall, humanity created their successor - a species of sugar-addicted technologically-advanced faire whose mouths are eternally stuck in the "Very Happy" emoticon face.

The United Nations oversees relations between the humans and the faire and UN mediator "Watashi" is sent to the village of Camphorwood to help turn live chickens into delicious juicy chicken using a process similar to how the Gnomes in S2E17 of South Park turn underwear into profit. When the chickens escape, starvation is averted thanks to the arrival of foodstuffs from a company called FairyCo and Mediator "Watashi" travels to their facility to investigate.

This show lacks the quiet dignity of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, which is how I personally would like to see the world end if I am present for it. The underlying story is a dark one (the end of humanity as a species), so while this first episode was loaded with farce, slapstick and surrealism, the true direction this show will take is as yet unknown. That being said, I am with Entropy - just sit back and enjoy it. Good

YuruYuri♪♪ (Episode 01)

Even nuttier than the original - there were over a dozen sig-worthy screen caps in the first half alone. Kyōko Toshinō is still awesome.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 18:38; edited 3 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 12:33

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (The Decline of Humanity), despite it's name it's one of the most colorful, whimsical, and joyful anime I have ever seen. It follows a girl who is a UN Mediator to a group of perpetually excited, strange, tiny, but highly advanced group of proto-humans called "fairies". When the Mediator screws up a chicken slaughter by letting the chickens escape, the fairies supplement the food miraculously. That's when the Mediator goes to the Fairy Corp factory, which is... well let's just say it would give Willy Wonka a run for his money. I'm not really sure in which direction the story is heading, and for one reason or the other I don't care. Just dance like the OP.

Summer 2012 Anime FjhS

Tari Tari - PA Works really has this kind of story down, and it seems to be very well executed in the starting episode. It's nice to have a slice-of-life show that isn't all fanservice and abstract jokes (there is fanservice, though it's not exactly aimed at the heterosexual male audience). Besides that I'm not sure what else to say about it.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Forum Posts : 347

Original Characters : Livia/Nero

Comments : The wonderful human being previously known as tsundere357

Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 19:01

Kiskaloo wrote:Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Episode 01)

In 1967, intelligent alien life is detected on Mars. Unfortunately, this life is hostile and the nations of Earth pool their technological resources to establish a military defense line on the Moon. The first Lunar War is waged, but by 1973 the lunar defense forces are defeated and the aliens make planetfall in The 'Stans. Within 25 years they have conquered the entire Eurasian landmass and now threaten the Empire of Japan. Fortunately for the people of Japan, they have cute schoolgirls with rocking tits and giant mecha to defend them.

To it's credit, rather then start with a big battle and then flashback to character development and training, this show starts with the character development, showcases the training a new pilot receives and then throws them into the epic battle. Smile

That being said, this is an anime version of a romantic simulation game, so while at times it reminded me of Gunbuster, there is also teenage shenanigans, angst and rivalries.

I watched ML: Total Eclipse today, and, while it did not leave me as confused as Sankaku Complex's review of it suggested it would, In fact, I though it was okay, not the best I've seen, but I'll give it a few more episodes. However, it does have its plot holes plot holes. Now, a list of questions that, according to Sankaku, were asked by Japanese internet users, probably on 2ch, as well as my responses:

Japanese Internet users, translated by Sankaku Complex wrote:
Why can’t men ride the mechs?

They can, but they all died in the war

What are the enemies? Aliens?

Weird lifeforms which came from space.

Why are all the characters so old-fashioned?

That’s just the setting. Deal with it.

Is there only Japan left on the planet?

A few other countries may have survived.

Why do they have to wear those suits?

119's Response:

Question 2: So yeah, aliens...

Question 3: Might have something to do with the fact that Imperial Japan still exists?

Question 5: Fanservice

Now for other plotholes in series I noticed:

Why not mount that EMP cannon seen in the drawings on a tank or a ship, or a jet or some other platform less prone to being disabled by a laser to the knee?

They mention UN troops, but if Imperial Japan still exists, then World War II either never happened or ended in Axis victory, which would imply that the UN would never be founded?

So, is that WWII-looking battleship they showed making a last stand in the Tsushima Straits, like the IJN's equivalent of an Iowa-class, a long serving WWII-era battleship, in that case, why not used the Yamato?

Last edited by SPARTAN 119 on Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 19:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing quotation)
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Forum Posts : 574

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 2 Jul 2012 - 19:34

I am purely guessing here, but I am thinking that once Earth was invaded and Asia started to fall, the Japanese people voted to return to a military government like they had during the Late Shōwa period. At that point, I expect the nationalists chose to bring back Imperial Japan - notice it's the Imperial Japanese Army and Imperial Japanese Navy again.

The Takamura family and a few others appear to be considered part of a new Japanese aristocratic peerage - a modern version of the original Kazoku - and they evidently provided a number of soldiers to the military.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 3:42

Muv-luv Unlimited was the hidden part of an Eroge,after you played thru the game and got all the normal endings it was unlocked,thats probably the reason for the pervy skinsuits !

alternative is a follow on manga based on the unlocked chapters alternative world
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 6:56

Awinnell wrote:Muv-luv Unlimited was the hidden part of an Eroge,after you played thru the game and got all the normal endings it was unlocked,thats probably the reason for the pervy skinsuits !

alternative is a follow on manga based on the unlocked chapters alternative world

I knew it was based on an eroge, however, I can't seem to find the character who is obviously the generic eroge protagonist. Is it a yuri eroge?
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 7:16

The anime, Muv-Luv Alternative Total eclipse, is a standalone side story,the main Protagonist, Takeru Shirogane from the earlier unlimited and Alternative mangas isn't in it

Summer 2012 Anime Takeru10
Awinnell
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 14:02

Surprised nobody (Piero in particular) has brought up this:

Coming to a theater nowhere near you (in all probability) in just eleven days:

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2nd A's

SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 19:12

Tari Tari -- I din't really find any of the characters that interisting and nothing about the show really stood out to me. I will give it a few episodes to see if it improved or not.l

Jinrui wa Suitai Chimashita -- This show is what happens when you let Japanese animators OD on Benadryl and shoot "bath salts" into their eyeball while watching the teletubbies. Those "fairies" will haunt me in my dreams. Just remember, they will watch you while you sleep so as to acquire your soul!
MadHatChemist
MadHatChemist

Male

Forum Posts : 441

Fan of : Triela & Claes

Original Characters : None.

Comments : n/a

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Wed 4 Jul 2012 - 23:05

@Spartan -why get excited for a movie that I probably won't see until much later in the year (or possibly even next year) when the fansubbers have something better than camrips to work from?

La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia: Pretty meh in my opinion. Didn't really get my enthusiasm up all that much and the exposition was awkward.
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse: Going to have to see more before I decide how much I like this one. I haven't seen a whole lot of the show's cast or mecha action yet. I found I felt pretty detached from things while watching this first episode (a side effect of the show trying to portray the cadets as detached from the war until it suddenly lands on their doorstep, perhaps?) but that could change quite quickly.
Tari Tari: The fact that this show is music oriented gave me some reservations as it seems like there's been quite a few music oriented series lately. I ended up liking it though. Should be a nice down to earth sort of drama to break up the mecha and such that I'm watching. Laughing It's also nice that it has a relatively gender balanced cast. Does it seems to anyone that there seems to be a bit of a shift towards more gender balanced casts lately?

Not commenting on season two of Rinne no Lagrange yet since this week's "Episode 00" is a recap of the first season that hasn't been subbed. Definitely looking forward to seeing the first episode of season two next week though.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 13:46

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Very interesting set up and a mature style that is rare to see. Imagine a sort of reverse of the movie Ghost. Rokka's ex-husband died three years ago due to a chronic and terminal illness. Despite him wanting her to move on and find love again, she can't move past him. The thing is, his ghost still hangs around. The only person who can see him, however, is the man who is currently in love with Rokka and works in her flower shop. Genuinely amusing interactions between the two men help lighten up an emotional backdrop in a balanced way. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 14:19

Entropy wrote:Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Very interesting set up and a mature style that is rare to see. Imagine a sort of reverse of the movie Ghost. Rokka's ex-husband died three years ago due to a chronic and terminal illness. Despite him wanting her to move on and find love again, she can't move past him. The thing is, his ghost still hangs around. The only person who can see him, however, is the man who is currently in love with Rokka and works in her flower shop. Genuinely amusing interactions between the two men help lighten up an emotional backdrop in a balanced way. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

ANN's reviewers were universal in their praise of Natsuyuki Rendezvous so I have added it to my watch list. After enjoying 2009's Winter Sonata, it's nice to have an "adult-oriented" anime drama again to break up the endless parade of school-age anime. And a great OP and, especially, ED.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 17:32

MadHatChemist wrote:Jinrui wa Suitai Chimashita -- This show is what happens when you let Japanese animators OD on Benadryl and shoot "bath salts" into their eyeball while watching the teletubbies. Those "fairies" will haunt me in my dreams. Just remember, they will watch you while you sleep so as to acquire your soul!

What's so weird about it?

Summer 2012 Anime Gp3D
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 22:07

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate (Episode 01)

Fan Service Factor 10, Mister Sulu!

The opening episode to Ga Rei Zero was an anime Rick-Roll, but at least the follow-on was pretty good. Not so, in this case, as once the opening credits run (and I must admit the OP song is awesome) we are presented with every fan service cliche in the book, one-dimensional character stereotypes and a harem storyline we have seen done hundreds of times before. I'll buy the CD, but I won't watch the show.

Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imōto ga Iru! (Episode 01)

Another formulaic harem show. Been there, done that. No thanks.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 0:01

This doesn't have anything to do with the Sumer anime, but it's still epic news!

In 2013 there's going to be a Sailor Moon remake! I am freaking ouuuut! dancin\\'
Triela
Triela
Super Special Awesome Cyborg Assassin

Female

Forum Posts : 2746

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Savyna, Iain

Comments : A pleasant, bubbly young lady, talented artist and Orlando Bloom fan extraordinaire.

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 11:54

Triela wrote:In 2013 there's going to be a Sailor Moon remake! I am freaking ouuuut! dancin\\'

I absolutely adore the American dub of the original, but I have never been able to get into the Japanese version.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 19:12

Kokoro Connect (Connected Hearts) - This was probably the only series I was really looking forward to, and I can't really say it exceeded any expectations. The premise is basic enough, you have 5 high school freshmen who couldn't decide what club to be in so they started their own "Culture Club" where they don't seem to do much. Then they mysteriously and randomly switch bodies. Once during the night before and another time with 2 other members during club meeting.

What turned me off to it was the ecchiness and reliance on well-worn tropes and stereotypes. But with a premise like this, it could be all just a set-up for something better, so there's no reason to write it off entirely right now.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 19:38

My thoughts on a few more shows:

Binbougami ga!: This was pretty wild, yet at the same time it actually seemed rather generic.
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica: Well the first episode was actually kind of entertaining at times. However the male lead is a freaking creep and the direction the show is going in doesn't really appeal to me very much. Though there were some bits that made me wish for a decent sword and sorcery series...
Kokoro Connect: Seems pretty so-so thus far. Although unlike Entropy I didn't find the ecchi that bad. Maybe I've just seen a lot worse in other recent shows?
Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Some things I liked about this one, but I'm rather uncomfortable with some of the male lead's actions. Also the female lead in this series is the second short haired female anime character I've seen recently whose face looks awfully boyish to me. Laughing (The other being the female lead in Kids on the Slope after the end of series time skip.)
Sword Art Online: This seems significantly better than Accel World. In fact it seems quite promising. Plus it at least partially fulfills the desire Estetica kindled for a decent sword and sorcery series. (Yeah, I know the setting actually involves VR and the RPG the players are trapped in actually passed on a user magic system in favor of a more physical combat oriented one. Still I quite like the setting.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Sat 7 Jul 2012 - 20:02

Piero wrote:
Kokoro Connect: Seems pretty so-so thus far. Although unlike Entropy I didn't find the ecchi that bad. Maybe I've just seen a lot worse in other recent shows?

It's certainly true that I have a lower overall tolerance for it, but I can enjoy me some ecchi like anyone else under certain circumstances. My problem mainly comes in with these "school life" shows that purport to at least have a realistic setting and they play up the ecchi angle more than my willing suspension of disbelief will allow.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 3:55

Sword Art Online: Now there is one very good reason not to play MMORPGs! ...at least once VR tech becomes widespread, which, if anime predicts the future, that will be in ten years. Anyway, a very promising first episode. I'll agree with Piero that this seems better than Accel World, more exciting since the players are put in a life and death situation in the game. Not the first time its been done, but an interesting story nonetheless.

However, I have to say that I do have something of a minor problem with the suspending my disbelief that this Kayaba Akihiko character could get away with this for long, especially if he used his real name, which he might have, judging from the magazine interviews complete with photos that flashed up when he is introduced. I mean, he'd make it to the top of every law enforcement agency in the world's most wanted list, and within a month 2000 people died, as stated in the preview for the next episode, meaning there might be more than a few people who might try to take justice into their own hands and try to "defeat him in a game of "Gun Art Offline!" Summer 2012 Anime 249364 . There's no better way to make an enemy of the entire world than to kill a large number of people, and those who do, tend not the last long.

In spite of this, overall, I had a positive first impression of SAO, but I hope, in addition to showing the main characters in the game, it would be interesting if they also had interludes into the real world, featuring the law enforcement hunt for Akihiko, the media circus surrounding the game, the attempts to find a way to disable and remove the device safely etc. Actually, you could come up with a whole spin-off series based on that concept.
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 15:54

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita ep. 2 - Alright, alright. I'm now firmly aboard the "loads of mescaline" theory. It's been some time since I've cried from laughter due to an anime.
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 8 Jul 2012 - 19:36

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Episode 02)

Spoiler:

The Ambition of Oda Nobuna [Oda Nobuna no Yabou] (Episode 01)

A high school boy who is a master of the game "Oda Nobunaga's Ambition" gets transported to a parallel version of the Warring States Era where instead of meeting the great warlord Oda Nobunaga, he meets cute blonde Oda Nobuna. And most of the prominant members of the time period are bishoujos.

As I expected, this show is Sengoku Collection in reverse. Since I'm already losing interest in SC, I am not going to bother with this one.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:31; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 9 Jul 2012 - 1:57

It's kind of funny that both of this season's "cute girls with mechs" shows air on the same day, seeing as they are quite different.

The high body count of Episode 2 of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise considering the next episode preview and the fact that none of the other cadets in Yui's squad were billed as main characters. (A lot of the promo art for the series has Yui alongside one or two pale haired girls who are presumably Soviet pilots given their attire.)

As for Rinne no Lagrange, the second season seems to be off to a pretty decent start. Things have definitely been shaken up a bit. There was some serious stuff going on in this episode but the show hasn't forgotten how to have fun either. I have the feeling the crew of Pharos isn't going to appreciate the new mecha sized Emergency Exit that just got added to their ship. Razz

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 11 Jul 2012 - 14:41

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (Episode 02)

Looks like they're going to go with slapstick comedy for this show and since I love slapstick comedy, I've booked a season pass. Good

Joshiraku (Episode 01)

Five cute girls perform the traditional Japanese performance art known as rakugo at their local hall. In rakugo, a lone storyteller sits on the stage and using only a paper fan and a small cloth as props, performs a long and complicated comical story. The story always involves the dialogue of two or more characters, the difference between the characters depicted only through change in pitch, tone, and a slight turn of the head.

Essentially the show is the girls sitting in the dressing room of the performance hall jumping from random topic to random topic, most of which involve bad puns. As such, I expect it's not going to be a show I stick with long. The ED will probably rattle around in your skull for hours, however.

Kokoro Connect (Episode 01)

Body-swapping is a general staple of anime, but only on a single episode basis. However, with so many "slice of life" school shows the past few years, a twist like this could keep the show from getting stale. I'm not sure why people see K-On! in this show - okay, Iori Nagase kind looks like Azusa Nakano, but in terms of look and feel, Hyōka is much closer in style (since both were done by KyoAni). The ED theme is the best of the season, to date, IMO.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 17:06

Its tomorrow in Japan, and so begins the game of "How long until fansubbers get a hold of a camrip of the Nanoha As movie!"
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entropy Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 18:33

SPARTAN 119 wrote:Its tomorrow in Japan, and so begins the game of "How long until fansubbers get a hold of a camrip of the Nanoha As movie!"

Just as a warning, camrips are quite rare in Japan. There wasn't even a camrip of the K-On! or Strike Witches movies, as far as I know. To make things worse, it takes about a full 6 months for a home video release...
Entropy
Entropy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 20:40

Entropy wrote:
SPARTAN 119 wrote:Its tomorrow in Japan, and so begins the game of "How long until fansubbers get a hold of a camrip of the Nanoha As movie!"

Just as a warning, camrips are quite rare in Japan. There wasn't even a camrip of the K-On! or Strike Witches movies, as far as I know. To make things worse, it takes about a full 6 months for a home video release...

Well, there was one of Haruhi so... yeah.

Also, I've noticed Accel World still can't decide whether it wants to air on Monday or Saturday.
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 13 Jul 2012 - 22:21

Natsuyuki Rendevous (Episode 02)
I think I'm going to like this show. Yes Indeed

Kokoro Connect (Episode 02)
Still a bit early, but the concept could work.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTAN 119 Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 20:35

Kokoro Connect: I was a little apprehensive with the K-ON look, as I was never a fan of K-ON, so far, Kokoro Connect has risen above generic moe. I'll probably keep watching and see where this goes.

Oda Nobuna No Yabou: Well, this one has definitely departed from history. Nobuna
Spoiler:
Also, it would be interesting if Yoshiharu gave Nobuna a few ideas for military innovations from the future- he wouldn't be able to make a modern rifle or anything, but if you thing about it, even the invention of the bayonet changed warfare dramatically- no need for pikemen. Also, not to mention the simple idea of giving the musket a second barrel.

Also, I might do a variation on my "Epic Rap Battles In Anime History" with Oda Nobunaga (possibly accompanied by Toyotomi Hideyoshi) vs Oda Nobuna (possibly accompanied by Yoshiharu Sagara).
SPARTAN 119
SPARTAN 119

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 15 Jul 2012 - 23:49

Here's an update on this season's "cute girls with mechs" shows (which both happen to air on the same day).

Total Eclipse (Episode Three): There was some slick aerial combat in this episode, though the overall art quality was pretty mixed. This episode also got around to introducing a good chunk of the real main cast. Which was a bit of a mixed bag. While I realise they probably want these characters to have some interpersonal conflicts some of the personalities are kind of extreme. The Nepalese girl is in serious need of an attitude adjustment and one of the Soviet girls seems kind of psycho (by contrast the other one seems to be a loli shrinking violet who carries a teddy bear around with her). On the plus side it appears there are some male characters aside from just the protagonist so maybe it isn't going to just be a harem show version of Macross Plus.
Rinne no Lagrange S2 (Episode Two): So Madoka not only prevented her harem form killing each other, she forced them to kiss and make up as well (quite literally too -she basically grabbed them both by the back of their heads and mashed their faces together). Overall this was a quite entertaining episode with some great funny bits. Not only that, it got into the series main storyline a bit. Apparently Madoka, Lan, and Muginami are going to have to convince Lan and Muginami's warring onii-chans to stop fighting each other. I can't imagine that's going to go entirely smoothly though (seeing as how there's another ten episodes to go and I doubt Madoka's intervention in Lan and Muginami's showdown is going to be the last of the mecha action in this series).

Some other shows:

Kokoro Connect (Episode Two):
Overall this seems really so-so. Is anyone else finding they're having trouble keeping track of which person's consciousness is in which person's body? Perhaps I'd have an easier time if I was more familiar with Japanese names.
Sword Art Online (Episode Two): This was decent, but I wasn't as impressed as I was by the first episode. I think it could still be interesting to see where the show goes however. I'm curious about the female lead -we don't know that much about her yet.

I think my "plan to watch weekly" list for this season is going to be Rinne no Lagrange Season Two, Sword Art Online, Tari Tari, and Total Eclipse. Plus some carry over stuff like Space Brothers.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 16 Jul 2012 - 13:45

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita (Episode 03)
Humanity may be ending, but at least we have our yaoi. Smile I'm really liking Watashi as a character and this show as a whole.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Episode 03)
So I am guessing because of her rank, Yui Takamura will be, if not commanding the unit, one of the senior officers. Nice to see Boeing survived, though if we deployed the F-22, Lockheed-Martin must be around because it was a joint LM-Boeing project- so suck it, Northrop Grumman! Razz. Not sure why a USN Ensign would be flying it, however, since it's a USAF bird... Then again, I get the feeling the producers are more interested in fan service than military service. Smile

Joshiraku (Episode 02)
This show admits it's about showing cute girls doing nothing, and while that has worked for me in the past (Yuru Yuri), it's not having much effect this time around. Some have compared it to Azumanga Daioh, as well, but both AD and YY were actually funny. Frankly, the show is boring and while the girls are cute, the animation quality is at best average. So if the goal is just to stare at them, they should have hired KyoAni or Madhouse.

Yuru Yuri (Episode 03)
Speaking of this show, I find I like it less when Kyōko Toshinō is not a main element.

Tari Tari (Episode 03)
The badminton and choir clubs join forces to meet the minimum requirement. I think they molded the character of the Assistant Principal after Sue Sylvester in Glee. I guess the Italians are in town for the festival - or they're a Section Two Advance Team. Razz Still running a bit neutral on this show at the moment, but I am still watching it, so... Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 22 Jul 2012 - 20:12

With episode 04, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita shows it can be as clever as it is silly. Natsuyuki Rendezvous is a refreshing change from all the school-age romantic dramas and Kokoro Connect looks like it's at least trying to be different.

On the flip side, Tari Tari is looking a little too typical in terms of the story it is going to tell. And while the girls of Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse are mostly attractive, they also seem to be designed to neatly fit into tropes and the fan service, while not cranked to 10, is still rather ridiculously high. I also understand intra-squad rivalries, but with the fate of the human race literally in the balance, I'm skeptical that high command would tolerate their attitudes.

SPARTAN 119 wrote:They mention UN troops, but if Imperial Japan still exists, then World War II either never happened or ended in Axis victory, which would imply that the UN would never be founded?

Having watched episode 04, I am now inclined to think that WW II happened and the Allies still won, but that Japan did not unconditionally surrender. Considering we have yet to see nuclear weapons employed - and they'd be well-suited against the mass attacks of the BETA - it may be that the Manhatten Project failed and nuclear weapons were never developed. As such, there was no way to force Japan to surrender without invasion. And if that invasion happened, it could explain why Kyoto is now the capital instead of Tokyo and the costs became so high, Japan surrendered, but with conditions that kept the Imperial government in power.

Considering the Soviet threat, Japan would still have allied itself with the United States for protection. However, I could see many Americans still resentful of the Japanese if the government that declared war on them were still in power.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 24 Jul 2012 - 1:43

A lot of the discussion regarding the latest episode of Total Eclipse on Animesuki seems to be revolving around whether or not Yui is a racist bitch...

As for Nuclear weapons within the world Total Eclipse takes place in, from what people have mentioned in discussions, it seems Japan surrendered quite a bit earlier in the war than in real life, so it ended up being Germany that got nuked instead. Also, apparently the US used a pretty massive nuclear bombardment to eliminate the BETA hive that landed in Canada (thanks a lot guys...). The Soviets meanwhile tried to fight theirs conventionally and didn't due so well after the initial stages (there's a reason they're leasing part of Alaska). Suppoedly Laser Class BETA can shoot down warheads from long distance, so once they appeared on the field... (plus according to something I read there's a reluctance to repeat the solution used with the hive that landed in Canada). Though apparently there is something called a G-bomb which can be effective due to gravity warping properties, the problem being that they permanently distort the earth's gravity field in their zone of effect or something.

A lot of these details are things I've gathered are second hand, btw, so don't count on them to be 100% accurate.

As for tthe other cute girls with mechs show (Rinne no Lagrange), this week's episode had a much higher than expected HSQ. Smile

As for Tari Tari, it seems a bit scattershot, but that may partly be me not paying attention all that closely. At any rate though I've been enjoying it enough to continue, even if I have trouble keeping the characters straight at times. As for Kokoro Connect, I haven't really bothered with it past the second episode since I didn't find it all that good (it also has the problem with keeping who's who straight, only worse than with Tari Tari due to all the body swapping). Does it improve much?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 24 Jul 2012 - 10:58

Piero wrote:As for Kokoro Connect, I haven't really bothered with it past the second episode since I didn't find it all that good. Does it improve much?

I find it hard to know who is in whose body, however the writers are making an effort to add some drama by exploring how the kids try to cope with constantly being swapped in and out of bodies as opposed to just constantly playing it for laughs. So for the moment, I'm sticking with it.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 27 Jul 2012 - 1:33

So now at the four episode mark, I think I am going to continue with:

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Kokoro Connect
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
YuruYuri♪♪

I find Joshiraku boring, Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse is too much fan service and Tari Tari is nothing I haven't seen done plenty of times before. So those three are dropped.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ggultra2764 Sun 29 Jul 2012 - 17:50

Not too excited over this present season. Only title I'm actually sticking with is Uta Koi because of its historical setting and stories. Beyond that, only continuing with Eureka 7 AO and Space Brothers from the last season.
Ggultra2764
Ggultra2764

Male

Forum Posts : 590

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : n/a

Comments : To those who don't know me, I've been a Cyborg Central member since 2008 and used to assist in scanlating chapters for the Gunslinger Girl manga when it was still being published in Japan. Now, I just tend to drift around in here now and then depending on whatever random impulse implores me to float back in here. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe I won't. Depends on what real life and the Internet implore me to do.

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika Sun 29 Jul 2012 - 18:10

the only anticipated 2012 for anime in 2012 for me is Meitantei conan movie 16...
Kurosaka
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Mon 30 Jul 2012 - 0:50

Meh, I can handle the fan service in Total Eclipse. I'm more worried about the portrayals of different nationalities and consistent artwork quality (supposedly the first director didn't apply the budget very evenly). This week's episode was pretty strong though, even if some elements of that restaurant/bar/whatever it was that the Argos pilots went too seemed a bit too Japanese for a place that's supposed to be in the US.

As for the other mecha show I'm following this season, (Rinne no Lagrange Season 2) the latest episode was pretty good. It's sad that Earth might be caught in the crossfire between two massive intergalactic battle fleets, but the crime of stealing someone's amnesiac, thought to be dead imouto and getting her to treat you like her oni-chan instead of her real elder brother is a crime that simply cannot go unpunished.

Actually I think pretty much all of the four shows I chose as my main picks from the new crop of shows this season had strong episodes this week, even Tari Tari and Sword Art Online. Previously those had been good enough that I was planning to stick with them but seemed a bit weak.

It's also possible I may pick something else up or give something I've dropped another chance, but for now those seem to be my four big picks from the new crop.

Last edited by Piero on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 21:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shortened things a bit due to the next post I'm making.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 21:50

I’d intended to post this earlier in the week so it’s a little late, but I wanted to do something that summarized my general thoughts on the new series I’m watching this season a little better than my weekly updates have been. When I did this up earlier in the week I arranged the shows in order of how I’d rank them (first to worst, essentially) thought it should be noted that these rankings could chance very quickly.

Rinne No Lagrange Season Two (4 episodes): Despite the art quality not being all that could be wished this is still a worthy successor to my favorite show of the Winter 2012 anime season. Whereas Season One introduced the characters and setting and established the crucial bond between Madoka, Lan, and Muginami, season two really gets into the story that was lurking in the background during much of season one. Because of this it gets its game on quite fast (as opposed to the first season which was a bit weak until it got into Muginami’s arc).

Tari Tari (5 episodes): I was worried about the direction of this series, but I liked it anyway due to its funny humour, gorgeous animation, and elements that made it seem fairly down to earth (sometimes its nice to have a relatively down to earth title to balance all the mecha and such). As of the latest episode I feel a bit more confident in the series though (even if I’m still not all that sure where it’s going). I’m hoping the male cast members get more focus though. One of the things I liked about this show was that the main cast was relatively gender balanced (three girls and two guys) but so far the guys don’t seem to be getting much of the focus, particularly the one who returned after twelve years in Austria (it’s been suggested that the show may be deliberately holding back with him though).

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (5 Episodes): I’ve got mixed feelings on this one. While it has its good points it’s been a rather uneven production so far. Of particular concern is the portrayal of different nationalities (one of the Soviet girls seem kind of psycho, and while I’m not sure Tarisa conforms to a Japanese stereotype about Nepalese she was still pretty obnoxious in the first episode she appeared in). That being said the latest episode was a pretty strong one that made good use of the conflict between the male and female leads. I think I’m liking this one enough to follow along and see what happens.

Sword Art Online (4 Episodes): The first episode was fantastic, but the next two were kind of weak. I’m still waiting for the male lead to properly link up with some long term comrades, but at least the latest episode was a pretty good one. Although I could have done without the (fortunately mild) loli fanservice. Lets see some more of that girl we saw back in episode two (whom series artwork strongly suggests is the lead female for the series) shall we?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 19:44

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (Episodes 01-04)

They're rebooting the original TV series with modern animation?

Summer 2012 Anime Nano_Spin
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Mon 6 Aug 2012 - 20:06

One show that I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of this season has been Binbougami Ga. Yes, the fact that the principal is easy on the eyes helps, but while it's saucy I wouldn't call it crude, and beyond that it's an energetic show with light-hearted, zany fun and plenty of spirit.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 22:23

Kiskaloo wrote:Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (Episodes 01-04)

They're rebooting the original TV series with modern animation?

Summer 2012 Anime Nano_Spin

That's a TV series? For some reason I was under the impression it was a movie. Maybe I should check it out...

Anyway, this week's update:

Total Eclipse (Episode 6): Apparently Yuuya
doesn't understand tsundere -instead of being happy that he unlocked
Yui's dere side, he's pissed because he can't understand why she's
acting so differently from what he's used to. Laughing

Not overly keen on them doing a beach episode though, even if they had
an excuse and seem to have chosen a decent point in the series to do
it. At least there was some development in the interpersonal
relationships front. Having the weather turn bad and strand a group of
characters who were having some issues together isn't exactly super
original though.

Rinne no Lagrange (Episode 5):
So apparently Kokoro Connect isn't the only anime this season that involves a little body swapping. This should be fun. Smile

Also, nothing says shit is about to hit the fan quite like having all
three of your base's highly empathic giant mecha suddenly take control
of the automated launch systems and taking off without their absent pilots aboard. Laughing

Tari Tari (Episode 6):
Apparently Wakana's dad is actually a pretty cool guy. Who would've thought?

Overall a nice follow up to last episode's drama. Now that Wakana seems
to be making some progress with her issues regarding her mother's death
perhaps we can see Wein get some focus? Well, it looks like the next
episode is going to be for one of the other girls, but one can hope for
the future, right?

Sword Art Online (Episode 5):
Well we did get more of Asuna.
Unfortunately this show still has a tendency to make big leaps in its
timeline. Not too bad an episode overall though.

Overall I pretty much consider Lagrange and Tari Tari pretty good shows
while Total Eclipse and Sword Art Online are more "I'll enjoy what they
do well and tolerate what they don't" shows.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 7 Aug 2012 - 22:32

Piero wrote:That's a TV series? For some reason I was under the impression it was a movie. Maybe I should check it out...

The movies are the episodes combined (kind of like what they did with Macross II and Macross Plus). The first movie was Episodes 01 and 02. The next movies will be sets of four episodes.

I'm a big Yamato fan, so I find the new show to be awesome thanks to both the new animation and the slightly updated story. Honestly, I would have watched all 26 episodes back to back if they'd been released I was so impressed. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 8 Aug 2012 - 15:06

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (Episodes 05-06)
Yutaka Izubuchi, Chief Director of the series and a former staffer on previous Yamato projects, evidently has been watching Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica and it really shows. The new characters they have added are also really good. The Blu-rays of the movies include English subtitles. They're $100 each, but I am so tempted...

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
It's the silliness that makes this show so much fun to watch. That and Watashi's attempts to keep a straight face through it all.

Natsuyuki Rendevous
It's nice to have an adult-oriented (as opposed to adult-themed) anime drama. Liking this very much.

Yuru Yuri♪♪
Still love it for Kyōko Toshinō, but the other characters are starting to grow on me, as well.

Kokoro Connect
I like that they look to be trying to make a real drama out of this show.

Piero wrote:Total Eclipse (Episode 6): Not overly keen on them doing a beach episode though, even if they had an excuse and seem to have chosen a decent point in the series to do it.

Episode 5 or 6 seems to be the required "fan service" episode (taking place at either a beach or a bathhouse), so this show is tracking to norm. Personally, I gave it six episodes, but I dislike it for a number of reasons so I am truly dropping it, now.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 2:16

Like many other shows there are things I like about it and things I dislike about it. I'm enjoying the parts I like (certain characters for instance) enough to put up with the ones I don't. Besides, I want to see how certain things get handled in the long run.

It also seems that there may have been a fair bit that was lost in translation from the series source material. People's impressions of the series might have been different if the anime had stuck closer to it. Though then again I'm also of the opinion that trying to stick to close to the source material can be detrimental to a series.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 9:37

Like AKB0048, I'll tune in for the final episode to see how it ended.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 0:46

I'm not sure I see a lot of point in that. I'm not really trying to get you to watch it further, I was explaining my own reasoning for sticking with it. I consider Total Eclipse a second tier show among the ones I'm watching due to its various issues, and I don't really expect that to change. Granted it could still surprise me -I wasn't expecting Tari Tari to come through the way it did in its last two episodes, and I certainly wasn't expecting a lot of Rinne no Lagrange early in its first season. But TE is going to need to make a pretty good impression on me in the coming episodes if it wants to overcome my impression of it as a mixed bag kind of show.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next