Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt

5 posters

Go down

theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt Empty theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt

Post by theprodigalson Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 23:01

Here I am going to post the (hopefully) ongoing saga of Nikias and Anastasia. As always, feedback is appreciated. I want to produce good work, so don't be shy on the negative either!

Prologue:
Spoiler:
theprodigalson
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt Empty Re: theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt

Post by Alfisti Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 23:18

Good start mate. It quickly gives a little background on the SWA and its financial situation for those new to the fandom... and also gives those of us already familiar with it an idea of how you see the SWA's postition. Consequently it quickly gives us an idea where you fratello fits into the whole works.

I do think that the first paragraph or two is a bit pronoun heavy. It feels a little disjointed and doesn't quite capture that sort of "evening, end of the day" type mood I think you were aiming for. You know, that feeling when you're just about done and basically running on autopilot. As such the intrusion of Donato isn't as jarring as it could perhaps be.

That said, definately a strong start. I like Lorenzo's sort of "loosing the battle to win the war" line at the end as well... that's the SWA (in terms of its somewhat morally ambiguous operations and from a political standpoint) through and through.

Looking forward to more.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt Empty Re: theprodigalson's First Fanfic Attempt

Post by ElfenMagix Tue 2 Nov 2010 - 23:27

looks great, TPS. Good
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert Frazer Thu 4 Nov 2010 - 16:25

I don't mean to crticise the authors by it - good writing is good writing - but one detail that you have to remark about as a little strange in fanfiction is just how international the Social Welfare Agency has become. In some stories there'll be entire branch offices in other countries! I did find it interesting, then, that your setup draws attention to this peculiarity with the Greek handler being seen as a cuckoo in the next. Also, the prospect of a Greek handler is interesting in itself as although Voodoo has nibbled at the edges of Croatia I don't think that we've ever seriously turned towards the Balkans before.
Robert Frazer
Robert Frazer

Male

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson Tue 23 Nov 2010 - 12:38

This is an excerpt from a scene I am in the process of writing. I am posting it now to solicit some reviews. Anyone who is intrested in giving me some feedback please pay particular attention to the descriptive text. Am I being clear and ordered? Am I giving enough description? Too much?

To set the scene: The SWA are raiding a warehouse that is known to house arms for a terrorist cell. Anastasia and Nikias are given the undesirable job of guarding the back door to keep them out of the way. When the assualt teams encounter stronger resistance than expected, Ana sees an opportunity to prove herself and takes the initiative.

Spoiler:
theprodigalson
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 23 Nov 2010 - 12:47

Solid start!
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Wed 24 Nov 2010 - 8:05

And that's the coffee kicking in. So, longer thoughts:

theprodigalson wrote:Ana entered the combat zone with the sort of reckless confidence only a superhuman body and a lack of experience could create.
Great opening line, you've set the scene and told us more about Ana... desperate to prove herself, but inexperienced and possibly trying a bit hard. That continues well through the segment as well (I'm going to say that here as otherwise I'll just be repeating myself over and over) from her assetion that "if Monty can do it so can I" to her burning desire to beat Rico and Jean to the chase.

The building’s power had been cut. Only a few beams of weak moonlight coming through the high windows offered any illumination at all, but her cyborg eyes could see in almost total darkness.
That first sentence feels a bit out of place, I think it might work better run into the second. Actually, to be honest I'd move it to earlier in the piece, surely if Ana and Nikias had been waiting outside the back door they'd have seen the building's lights go out. There possibly in-lies the danger of posting short segments of story, suddenly setup needs to impinge on the action rather than being dealt with beforehand.

She slowed her pace and surveyed the layout of the building as she drew near team Two’s position. Someone had managed to throw a number of road flares for some light. They hurt her eyes and Ana had to avoid looking right at them or risk being blinded. Directly in front of her lay a short hallway leading to the front entrance where the two assault teams had entered and the offices they were supposed to have secured. From the hallway, the wall that formed the rear of the office ran all the way to the side of the building. About halfway a small restroom jutted from the wall. Alongside that was the break room, extending out farther still, creating a sort of stair step design. The enemy had managed to flip a table and drag some heavy crates around the break room door. It made for a makeshift but respectable bunker. Ana could count at least three men: one shotgun, one MAC-11, and one pistol.
I'll admit it took me a couple of goes through the story to build in my head what the warehouse's layout was. No pointers on how that could be improved though I'm afraid sweat

The hastily assembled bunker provided good cover from the western side where Team Two had tried to flank them. The southern approach (which was the only way Ana could attack) was partially open
Ah, here's something that could help. You've started using compass points. If you're going to use that it might work better if you use them from the beginning to keep everything cohesive in the reader's mind. Remember: we don't have a floor plan to look at. Alternatively I guess you could post the floorplan Matthew Reilly style (don't know how that'd interface with ff.net though if you decide to use it) Razz

Her grand plan had only included her running in and saving the day. How she was supposed to do that wasn’t an issue until now.
This line cracked me up, perfect character moment.

Nitpick though, "wasn't" I think would be more correct as "hadn't been"... in this particular sentence "wasn't" is reading like present tense, but this is a problem now.

If Monique can do it… she thought
Sorry luv, but Monty's significanlty smaller, lighter and more practiced than you are Razz

Seriously though, loved the little shoutout.

Add to that the uncertain footing and Ana’s own tendency to screw up and there was a good chance she was going to end up with her face on the concrete.
Considering that you said Ana's built tough, there's a good chance the concrete would come off second best in this scenario. Perhaps she could join Marisa's "broke the fall with my face" club.

“Looks like you owe me one ‘Lullaby’.”
Looking forward to finding out how that came to be.

But in the state of mind he was in when she left…he might not even take his own safety seriously.
I take it Nik was a little riled at being cut from his chance at glory by being posted to the back door?

Anyway, overall like Kisk said: solid start. Your action flows well and one of your real strengths seems to be character portrayl through what they do. I wonder a bit about Triela butting up against Jean, but each to their own and it was a good excuse for Ana to snap at her and help build that relationship.

To answer you questions, I think the mix and sequencing of description and action was pretty much on the money. A little more cohesion with the initial layout of the warehouse (compass points and so on) may have helped legibility for the reader. Perhaps even giving a general overview of the warehouse in a briefing or something earlier might help get the context initially into the reader's head, then what's here could then solidify that for them. I dunno.

Great stuff though mate, looking forward to more.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum