Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSG Manga revived in North America?

+18
funkmachine
Godot
theprodigalson
Danjo3
Triela
arimareiji
Alfisti
KodokuRyuu
Robert Frazer
Professor Voodoo
ElfenMagix
maverick375
Ggultra2764
WEBER
Adam
MadHatChemist
Kiskaloo
Nuke is Good
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Empty Re: GSG Manga revived in North America?

Post by Awinnell Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 10:45

Alfisti wrote:
Danjo3 wrote:
Robert Frazer wrote:Also, I find it curious that people condemned A&P's relationship "THIS IS AN ABOMINATION YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS", but when it comes to Triela staring at Hilshire like a lovesick spaniel it's "THE GREATEST ROMANCE IN FICTION". It seems a little inconsistent.
I think the big difference is that Alessandro is a full participant (the horndog he is) while Hillshire is not. That’s why people see H&T as innocent, while A&P definitely make you feel that uncomfortable squirm factor.

I think possibly the speed at which A&P entered a relationship might be a factor as well. Triela and Hillshire sort of had the whole "rocky road" thing going for awhile there... whereas Sandro and Petra sort of jumped in pretty fast.

well Petra is older looking than Triela and the age difference between Petra and her handler isn't as great as the one between Triela and Hillshire, so Alessandro is far more likely to go for it than Daddy Hillshire ( i think thats how Hillshire see's himself) after all !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Forum Posts : 2131

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Empty Re: GSG Manga revived in North America?

Post by arimareiji Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 13:11

Godot wrote:
Adam wrote:
Godot wrote:Not trying to reignite the flame war, by the way.

Yu Aida should ret con Petra out of the story! Razz

Hehe, there have been flame wars about this then, eh? I'm glad that there are fans of the Petrushka-Alessandro fratello, since that means that Yu Aida did not postpone the (subjectively) interesting part of Gunslinger Girl in vain.

If interesting, then in a completely different way then the rest of the story was. I'm also fairly certain Petra is still around so she's not just postponing the main story, she's also melding into it. She's diluting it at best and tainting it at worst.

In vain entirely? Perhaps not. In vain for the rest of us? Most certainly so.

I already feel myself climbing up the hill to prepare for the flame war I might be reigniting (largely unintentionally mind you).

Um... I think you gave up any reasonable claim to innocence wrt the coming flame war when you started talking about Petra's taint. GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Icon_wink

*dons asbestos suit* GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 155674

arimareiji
President of the Non Sequitur Society

Forum Posts : 66

Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 14:14

Robert Frazer wrote:Also, I find it curious that people condemned A&P's relationship "THIS IS AN ABOMINATION YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS", but when it comes to Triela staring at Hilshire like a lovesick spaniel it's "THE GREATEST ROMANCE IN FICTION". It seems a little inconsistent.
I also find it curious that people automatically assume Triela's feelings for Hilshire are romantic.

Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Forum Posts : 5722

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 14:41

Nachtsider wrote:I also find it curious that people automatically assume Triela's feelings for Hilshire are romantic.
You’re right Nacht. In canon, Triela has never come out and confessed her romantic love for him, but one can’t help but get that impression. I guess only time will tell for sure.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Forum Posts : 2609

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 15:20

Nachtsider wrote:I also find it curious that people automatically assume Triela's feelings for Hilshire are romantic.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with this person" sounds pretty romantic to me...

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10984

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 15:35

For me, it's not necessarily Petra I don't like nor the concept of her fratello. Rather, it's Allesandro I can't stand. Granted, the story dynamic between them is a bit unique when compared to the other fratello; but it's the fact that 'Sandro almost refers to Petrushka as a walking, talking, blow-up doll is what grinds my gears.

I go 'aww' for Hillshire and Triela because their relationship seems to have gradually developed into what it is now. Even though Hillshire most likely see's himself as 'Daddy Hillshire' for the time being, his armor does appear to be weakening.

'Sandro on the other hand seems to have just 'gone for it' in forming a bond with Petra taking a veritable shortcut. Much like C. Marksman wrote for his Carol/Gino OC fratello. 'Sandro could have taken the high road, but didn't.

boomer_gonz

Forum Posts : 2574

Back to top Go down

Post by theprodigalson Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 15:59

I still don't get Sandro's reputation as a womanizing-man-whore. It seemed to me when he was first told he would have to sleep with people to be successful at his job he was uncomfortable with that. Everyone seems to think he is porking Petra now too but I felt he was trying to keep distance between them if anything. I may have to read it again with some less naive eyes but that was my impression. Can someone point me to where this happens in the story?

I may be getting into the line of fire here but I came to the forum too late to join the battle in the appropriate places so I don't have the sense to keep my head down yet. WAAGGHHH! GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 987574

theprodigalson

Forum Posts : 436

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 16:06

theprodigalson wrote:Can someone point me to where this happens in the story?

It hasn't.

When they exit the Venetian canal in Chapter 64, Sandro makes a comment to Petra that I believe would clear it up once and for all, but it was not present in the edition published in Dengeki Daioh, only the Volume 11 tankoban, so it was never translated/scanlated and I can't quite make it out.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 17:49

I imagine this helps explain Triela's popularity.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by WEBER Wed 14 Apr 2010 - 19:25

Yeah, that would do it all right.
WEBER
WEBER

Forum Posts : 94

Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 1:31

There's also that one fanart of 'Massive-Ass Triela'.
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 1:54

Kiskaloo wrote:I imagine this helps explain Triela's popularity.
Where the hell did she get the boobs from? A mission reward maybe… or maybe Hillshire rewarding himself? GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Icon_wink
Danjo3
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 1:58

Danjo3 wrote:
Where the hell did she get the boobs from?

I'm glad someone said it before I did.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by arimareiji Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 8:34

Professor Voodoo wrote:
Danjo3 wrote:
Where the hell did she get the boobs from?

I'm glad someone said it before I did.
Says the person who segued from the topic of Petra to Yu playing with his tool. GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Icon_wink
arimareiji
arimareiji

Male

Fan of : Henrietta

Comments : Favorite thing to hear: "I can't believe you just said that."

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 10:29

ZOMG; I just had a thought for the TG: Italy RP! That can be Triela's 'new' bathing suit purchased when they get to Vegas(baby!) and she does that very position in a "Alpha, do you like my new bathing suit?" kind of way.

And then... GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 F9f3b910

and Alpha's attention( as well as that of most of the guys by the pool) is diverted toward Liesel. I am enjoying a mental image of Sandro attempting to take a sip of his umbrella drink and the straw happens to land up his nose. GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 817766
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Hilshire Thu 15 Apr 2010 - 11:31

Danjo3 wrote:How many fans are going to want two copies of basically the same thing?

Well ME for one. But basically for continuity, nothing like locking up your brain after transitioning from Volume 6 to 7 with different wording and overall feel to it.

Aaaand I'm an anime and manga pack rat... things I like I keep.
Triela Hilshire
Triela Hilshire

Female

Forum Posts : 150

Fan of : Triela, Henrietta, Rico, Beatrice, Angelica, and... Claes.

Original Characters : Karin Hilshire

Comments : Karin Hilshire, WoD character based off of Triela from Gunslinger Girl.

Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Godot Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 3:17

Robert Frazer wrote:Yeah, I agree. After the end of the Pinnochio arc there was a risk that GSG could have declined to a plotless ramble, or been criticised for only offering up "more of the same" if they introduced another specific Padanian antagonist. Watching Petrushka's development was a genuinely new angle; it really refreshed the comic and prevented it from going stale.

Also, I find it curious that people condemned A&P's relationship "THIS IS AN ABOMINATION YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS", but when it comes to Triela staring at Hilshire like a lovesick spaniel it's "THE GREATEST ROMANCE IN FICTION". It seems a little inconsistent.

New angle is certainly one thing to call it. It seems to me that we had a nice story and pace with our 4 or 5 sets of characters. The story was moving along until, suddenly, Yu slams the brakes to make room for another character. We then take a nice little 2 volume detour
Triela wrote:Saddly you have to suffer though 7 and 8. All about Petrushka. >____<
for a character that was instantly dropped in out of nowhere. We then resume our previous trip, slowed down by this shoehorned-in character. It's not as if we had any other stories to complete, right Aida?

As for Triela's romance with Hillshire, I haven't read that far unfortunately. If it is as bad as you make it out to be, I'll certainly say something about it. But at least Triela would have the excuse of actually existing since the beginning, so there would go my 'sudden stop' argument. It won't excuse her entirely, but it's something.

arimareiji wrote:
Um... I think you gave up any reasonable claim to innocence wrt the coming flame war when you started talking about Petra's taint. GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Icon_wink
*dons asbestos suit* GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 155674

Yeah, OK you got me there. GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 61015

boomer_gonz wrote:For me, it's not necessarily Petra I don't like nor the concept of her fratello. Rather, it's Allesandro I can't stand. Granted, the story dynamic between them is a bit unique when compared to the other fratello; but it's the fact that 'Sandro almost refers to Petrushka as a walking, talking, blow-up doll is what grinds my gears.

I go 'aww' for Hillshire and Triela because their relationship seems to have gradually developed into what it is now. Even though Hillshire most likely see's himself as 'Daddy Hillshire' for the time being, his armor does appear to be weakening.

'Sandro on the other hand seems to have just 'gone for it' in forming a bond with Petra taking a veritable shortcut. Much like C. Marksman wrote for his Carol/Gino OC fratello. 'Sandro could have taken the high road, but didn't.

Maybe it is Allesandro that has caused me to get so riled up. Petra would be guilty by association, or relation, then. So unless Allesandro drops off the face of the earth, I'll still loathe the both of them, or at least their fratello. Does seem a bit unfair I suppose, but I don't really see Aida replacing Alessandro for an at all likable character.

Here's a concession I'll make then. If, first, Petra was carefully and slowly integrated into the story instead of bringing it to a halt and, second, Alessandro were either not there or less of a dick then sure, Petra would be a good character. Unfortunately, neither of these is the case. So, thanking the completionist in me, I suppose I'll look forward to spending about $20 or so for two irrelevant volumes I'll inevitably hate.

Last edited by Godot on Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 15:58; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
Godot
Godot

Male

Forum Posts : 198

Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 9:49

Regardless of Petrushka herself, I thought it was nice of Yu to actually spend some time developing one of the characters.

The rest of the girls were literally dropped on us with little to no information and we've barely learned anything about them over almost 75 chapters.

And then we have Elsa and Chiara, who were created pretty much solely to promptly take them out, leaving the audience going:

GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Mio_Wut

This is almost Beatrice's fate, as well and the only thing we know about Silvia is she has been with the Agency for some three years. And then we have four girls - one first generation and three second generation who have only appeared in a handful of panels.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by arimareiji Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 12:10

Kiskaloo wrote:Regardless of Petrushka herself, I thought it was nice of Yu to actually spend some time developing one of the characters.

The rest of the girls were literally dropped on us with little to no information and we've barely learned anything about them over almost 75 chapters.

And then we have Elsa and Chiara, who were created pretty much solely to promptly take them out, leaving the audience going:

GSG Manga revived in North America? - Page 2 Mio_Wut

This is almost Beatrice's fate, as well and the only thing we know about Silvia is she has been with the Agency for some three years. And then we have four girls - one first generation and three second generation who have only appeared in a handful of panels.

True, that. You think maybe they'll wear distinguishing red blouses if and when they appear in anime form?
arimareiji
arimareiji

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Triela Hilshire Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 15:34

If Beatrice hadn't wrestled with that warhead then the Agency would be missing an additional cyborg when it went boom. Both Beatrice and Triela would've needed to be scraped from the surrounding area with kitchen utensils...

And I'd be needing a new LCD panel. :p

Though I must say that Beatrice was an interesting character, while appearing emotionless she did in the end show she cared about the others.

As for the two who raced into the base of the tower... the thought that the base area would've been rigged with some kind of trap would be first on the minds of their respectful handlers, or at least with the one directing the attack.
Triela Hilshire
Triela Hilshire

Female

Forum Posts : 150

Fan of : Triela, Henrietta, Rico, Beatrice, Angelica, and... Claes.

Original Characters : Karin Hilshire

Comments : Karin Hilshire, WoD character based off of Triela from Gunslinger Girl.

Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Voodoo Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 15:53

Triela Hilshire wrote:Both Beatrice and Triela would've needed to be scraped from the surrounding area with kitchen utensils...
I think in chapter 59 Yu started setting up Beatrice to be killed off. He had to give her a few more scenes, and develop her character a bit more to increase the audience's emotional investment in her.

As for the two who raced into the base of the tower... the thought that the base area would've been rigged with some kind of trap would be first on the minds of their respectful handlers, or at least with the one directing the attack.
Didn't the SWA explain their lack of foresight by admitting they had underestimated the threat and based the attack plan on a similar terrorist takeover of the tower some years ago? Maybe that was in one of the chapters as-yet untranslated...or even in a fanfic. These things run together in my head sometimes.
Professor Voodoo
Professor Voodoo

Male

Forum Posts : 3428

Fan of : That one guy who was only in one episode & didn't have any lines.

Original Characters : Marisa/ Elio Alboreto

Comments :

Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 17:33

Professor Voodoo wrote:Didn't the SWA explain their lack of foresight by admitting they had underestimated the threat and based the attack plan on a similar terrorist takeover of the tower some years ago? Maybe that was in one of the chapters as-yet untranslated...or even in a fanfic. These things run together in my head sometimes.

That's how I explained it in Chapter Six (Kotov Syndrome) of Giuoco Pianissimo.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by arimareiji Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 9:15

Kiskaloo wrote:
Professor Voodoo wrote:Didn't the SWA explain their lack of foresight by admitting they had underestimated the threat and based the attack plan on a similar terrorist takeover of the tower some years ago? Maybe that was in one of the chapters as-yet untranslated...or even in a fanfic. These things run together in my head sometimes.

That's how I explained it in Chapter Six (Kotov Syndrome) of Giuoco Pianissimo.

Makes perfect sense, especially if the bad guys studied the same event and were able to extrapolate what the SWA's tactics would be. It's reminiscent of the old quote about how generals' battle plans tend to center around winning the last war instead of adapting.
arimareiji
arimareiji

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 17 Apr 2010 - 9:35

arimareiji wrote: Makes perfect sense, especially if the bad guys studied the same event and were able to extrapolate what the SWA's tactics would be. It's reminiscent of the old quote about how generals' battle plans tend to center around winning the last war instead of adapting.

Which, as you said, would make sense. From memory it's the first time the Padania deployed weaponry of a scale to deal with the more sturdy cyborgs as well. Effectively it's now the Padania's turn to up the ante and the Government's turn to adapt.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum