Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dont get between a Pinoy and his fish

5 posters

Go down

dont get between a Pinoy and his fish Empty dont get between a Pinoy and his fish

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 17:04

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090407/wl_asia_afp/philippineswildlifeshark;_ylt=All_pUYyttCN5jm6Z0chdUhxieAA;_ylu=X3oDMTE5c20xN3BvBHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bi1tb3N0LXZpZXdlZARzbGsDb25lb2Z3b3JsZDM5

the WWF was angry when filipinos ate one of the worlds rarest sharks (the megamouth shark) Razz
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Forum Posts : 1075

Fan of : Moe~

Original Characters : youru kun

Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

dont get between a Pinoy and his fish Empty Re: dont get between a Pinoy and his fish

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 18:44

Well it died on the way up, so really, something was going to eat it - if not humans, then marine animal scavengers.

Two other megamouth sharks have been eaten in the Philippines and three have been eaten in Taiwan, so this is not exactly unique. A few have also been dissected.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

dont get between a Pinoy and his fish Empty Re: dont get between a Pinoy and his fish

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 19:19

well the real point here is....I wanna eat some megamouth
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 19:22

"I wanna eat whale!" - Captain Aya Nakajima, Commanding USS Constellation II * NCC-1728
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tsundere9kagami2 Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 19:23

"whales are a renewable resource"
tsundere9kagami2
tsundere9kagami2
Oceanic Drifting

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 19:26

This reminds me of a time when I went to Japan. Over there, some pro-whaling activists were holding one of their demos against Western bans on whaling (the Japanese are quite incensed by the bans, claiming that the West are trying to be control freaks over what the Japanese can and cannot eat). They were hoisting placards that said: "When was the last time whales did anything for us?" and "We think lambs are cute, but we sure as hell don't stop you Westerners from eating them!"
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 7 Apr 2009 - 19:27

"Whale...the other red aquatic mammalian meat..."

"Whale. It's what's for dinner...in Japan."
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 Wed 8 Apr 2009 - 5:54

I don't like Whale too much. Heck, I don't like sea food in general, though I have to admit that blow fish and sushi is good eat'n
Tommygunner70
Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1956

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 8 Apr 2009 - 6:52

"Whale. It's what's for dinner...in Japan."

ahahahaha...

who told you that?

They were hoisting placards that said: "When was the last time whales
did anything for us?" and "We think lambs are cute, but we sure as hell
don't stop you Westerners from eating them!"

Hey, let me tell you. Aside from export and import goods, whaling is this country's other source of resources and income. It is also a profit for the fishermen; besides, its not like we hunt them with no consent, there are whaling seasons too you know! Banning them meant cutting one of our lifelines here in today's economic crisis.

Don't get me started about the recent NK rocket launch.

Yes, you might think 'oh its weird to have you guys eat whales' and all that crap but do remember how Chinese eat snakes and all. Heck, I heard there are those who eat bats.

And besides, its just a megamouth. What if its a MEGALODON? I doubt those fishermen could catch it...less survive its first attack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Wed 8 Apr 2009 - 7:28

I don't think I said that I disagreed with the protesters, Panzer. No need to get defensive.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 8 Apr 2009 - 10:06

Whales are cuter then snakes, which is why they get more positive press. Also, many do not understand why thousands (even tens of thousands?) of whales need to be killed for "research" - especially when all that meat ends up in Tsukiji and other fish markets.

As it's been explained to me by my Japanese friends and colleagues, it's more a "cultural" thing then an economic or culinary one. Most of them are under 40 and won't touch the stuff, while their parents (and grandparents) remember it from WWII and earlier and the older generations are the ones who want to keep it alive. It's like the Native American tribes here in Washington who once a year take down a Gray Whale as part of their "tradition", even though half the tribes are vehemently against it and public sentiment amongst non-Native Americans is mostly negative towards it.

That being said, I'm not against commercial harvesting in principle, if it is done sustainably with the largest populations.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 8 Apr 2009 - 18:57; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 Wed 8 Apr 2009 - 12:37

it's funny how most environmentalists are fine talking about nature... until you get to population control. I say as long as they're not hunting any whales to extinction, there's nothing wrong with it.
LoC978
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum