Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2017 Anime Round-Up

2 posters

Go down

Fall 2017 Anime Round-Up Empty Fall 2017 Anime Round-Up

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 16:11

Get to start a bit early this time thanks to the second season of Yuki Yuna being broken into two distinct parts - a prequel and a sequel to the 2015 series.

Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shō
Grade: A-

Disciplined 6th grader Sumi Washio isn't the best at making friends, but she has become close to the flighty Nogi and tomboyish Gin because they all have one thing in common. They've been trained to be heroes for the Shinjyu-sama, the treelike god who protects their world. When a bizarre entity called a Vertex crosses the interdimensional boundary zone headed straight for Shinjyu, the trio is transported to the border world, where they take on powered-up forms to combat the Vertex and prevent it from making contact—since it would mean the destruction of the world.

This was the prequel part of the show, covering the Hero System before it was changed to the Mankai System central to the first season and providing back stories to two of the characters from said season. At it's best, it rose to the level of excellence that made the first series a standout and overall it kept the action scenes, the natural character interactions, the soundtrack, and the visuals that were why the first season was so great.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 23 Dec 2017 - 18:40; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Fall 2017 Anime Round-Up Empty Re: Fall 2017 Anime Round-Up

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 8 Dec 2017 - 18:48

Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life [Recovery of an MMO Junkie] 
Grade: A
30-year-old Moriko Morioka has given up on reality! Forget dating and responsibilities—she's escaping to the world of online gaming. Here, she starts a new life as the handsome character Hayashi who, while learning the game, receives help from a beauty named Lily. The longer she plays, the more attached she grows, and soon her online connection will lead to an exciting IRL encounter!

Surprise of the Season for me. A really solid and entertaining Romantic Comedy with a great cast of characters.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 23 Dec 2017 - 18:40; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 8 Dec 2017 - 22:22

As with last season, I also caught up on some of the earlier 2017 shows I did not watch when they aired. I've dropped almost all of them, but two made the cut for their excellence:

Scum's Wish 
Hanabi and Mugi are a super sweet, seemingly perfect couple. Their peers envy them and their impenetrable facade. What they don't know is that Hanabi and Mugi have a not-so-pure secret.
One of the best-written shows I have seen in a long time. And a story told from almost the reverse from what one would expect in an anime industry currently dominated by male wish-fullfilment light novels. Perhaps because it was written by a woman she was able to pull it off so adroitly with such fascinating female characters.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 
Miss Kobayashi is your average office worker who lives a boring life, alone in her small apartment–until she saves the life of a female dragon in distress. The dragon, named Tohru, has the ability to magically transform into an adorable human girl (albeit with horns and a long tail), who will do anything to pay off her debt of gratitude, whether Miss Kobayashi likes it or not.
A great comedy with some touching moments.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 23 Dec 2017 - 18:41; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 21 Dec 2017 - 19:27

Food Wars! The Third Plate 
Grade: B+
Three cours in, it still remains a generally entertaining show and the new arc this (and the upcoming fourth cour) kept it interesting.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 23 Dec 2017 - 18:41; edited 1 time in total
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Fri 22 Dec 2017 - 17:01

Someday, Kisk, you may interest me enough in anime to try a few selections - or at least add them to my miles-long to do/to read/to watch list...
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 23 Dec 2017 - 18:43

The Ancient Magus' Bride (First Cour - Episodes 01-12)
Chise Hatori is 15-year-old orphan. She has no relatives, means, or hopes when a demonic sorcerer who can't become human buys her. He states that Chise will now be his apprentice and bride.
Easily the most-hyped show of the Fall Season and frankly with a fair bit of merit. Always good and often excellent. Looking forward to the second cour.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 23 Dec 2017 - 21:52

Land of the Lustrous
In the distant future, a new life form called "hōseki" (gems) is born. The 28 gems must fight against the "tsukijin" (moon people) who want to attack them and turn them into decorations, so each gem is assigned a role such as a fighter or a medic. Though she hopes to fight the moon people, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' manager Adamantine asks her to edit a natural history magazine.
I was hooked from the first episode and the more I watched, the more I loved it. Plenty of unanswered questions remain, but this was a "Coming of Age" story so I understand why it ended the way it did. I hope a second season is approved so we can start to learn the true story of Sensei, the hōseki and the tsukijin.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 24 Dec 2017 - 0:19

Girls Last Tour
Civilization is dead, but Chito and Yuuri are still alive. So they hop aboard their beloved Kettenkrad motorbike and aimlessly wander the ruins of the world they once knew. Day after hopeless day, they look for their next meal and fuel for their ride. But as long as the two are together, even an existence as bleak as theirs has a ray or two of sunshine in it, whether they're sucking down their fill of soup or hunting for machine parts to tinker with. For two girls in a world full of nothing, the experiences and feelings the two share give them something to live for.
1200 years from now, two chibi girl soldiers are sent by their grandfather to explore the frozen, deserted remains of a giant city long after a global war ended civilization. A pleasant post-Apocalyptic tale in the vein of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō or Planetarian. Always enjoyable and occasionally brilliant, it’s a great way to just sit back and relax for a couple of hours.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Tue 26 Dec 2017 - 16:42

Thescarredman wrote:Someday, Kisk, you may interest me enough in anime to try a few selections - or at least add them to my miles-long to do/to read/to watch list...

Fall 2017 was pleasantly strong. The only real disappointment was how much of a shit-show Kino's Journey turned out to be, but at least I have the 2003 series.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Wed 27 Dec 2017 - 15:21

Konohana Kitan
Kokohana-tei is a hot spring hotel located in an inn town between our world and the other world, where many people go to visit. The story portrays the lives of fox spirits, who take the form of girls and work at the hotel.
A supernatural Hanasaku Iroha with cute fox girls - how could it be bad? It wasn't. In fact, it was a really solid iyashikei anime with an enjoyable cast and three standout stories.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 29 Dec 2017 - 13:46

Just Because
Grade: B+
For a group of high school seniors, a chance reunion with a transfer student will change the course of their final year. Eita Izumi has come back to his hometown after four years and encounters some unlikely acquaintances: Haruto Soma, Eita’s childhood friend; Ena Komiya, the photography student who witnesses Eita and Haruto's reunion; Mio Natsume, whose feelings for her middle school crush still linger; and Hazuki Morikawa, a girl who seems uninterested in romantic relationships. When the paths of these five cross, their fates turn in a way none of them could have seen coming.
Normally this would be a shoe-in kind of show for me, but I admit to often finding it a bit of a slog at times and overall a slow burn. In many ways this was a show that took place after your traditional anime romance where the characters, having all made their respective declarations of affection / rejections of affection for each other, now need to deal with the consequences. It also probably didn't help that I picked this show up immediately after the brilliant Tsukigakirei and the excellent Tsuredure Children (both traditional anime romances). I stuck with it due to Nick Creamer's effuous praise in his weekly episode reviews on ANN as he and I have very parallel tastes. The final two episodes were the best, elevating what was arguably a "B" show to a "B+".

This is the final show of the Fall Season I was following, though I do have two earlier shows from 2017 on my still to watch list so I will probably just add them to the end here when I finish them.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 6 Jan 2018 - 14:47

Descending Stories: Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū
Grade: A+
The Winter 2017 sequel to Winter 2016's Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū, together these 25 episodes tell an absolutely fabulous and compelling story that, together with it's manga origin, returned Rakugo to the consciousness of the Japanese people and exposed the rest of the world to it. The Seiyu for this show are some of the biggest names from the 1990s (including Megumi Hayashibara) who all put in stellar performances.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down