Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Madoka Magica theory

2 posters

Go down

A Madoka Magica theory Empty A Madoka Magica theory

Post by theprodigalson Wed 8 Mar 2017 - 23:21

I know this show is a few years old now, but I just rewatched it with a friend who was seeing it for the first time so its fresh on my mind. I had this thought and I wanted to post it here and see what you guys think. This thread is intended for anyone who has seen the show Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If you have not, stop reading this and go watch it NAO, as it is most excellent in my humble opinion and deserves a look.

For your consideration: Walpurgisnacht is actually the witch form of Homura Akemi. I concocted this theory while watching the show a few years ago, then looked online to see if others have had the same thought and found a number of decent theories, though most of them don't hold up to this one in my opinion. *Don't conduct this research until you've watched the movie Rebellion as it will bring about some spoilers.*

My evidences. I was put on to the scent originally by Walpurgisnacht's visuals, most prominently the giant gears like would makeup a timepiece. Being attached to them signifies her inability to escape the circle she created. Doomed to repeat this circle, she's upside-down under her own wish.
Homura's line in episode 11 (paraphrased) "Why can't I defeat you?" - well how could she defeat herself? With the exception of Madoka, who structured her wish to do so, no magical girl would be able to defeat her own witch. A team of magical girls should be able to overcome her, but theres no telling how much power Homura could have acquired travelling across timelines over and over.
Also, we see in the various timelines we are shown that differences can be seen in each universe, however the arrival of Walpurgisnacht is always predictable. She arrives right on time if you will, signifying the end of Homura's loop each time, as that is when Homura would have despaired at her inability to move forward.
Lastly, and perhaps most significantly, I came across a statement by witch art designer InuCurry stating "Walpurgisnacht's and Kriemhild Gretchen's (Madoka's witch-form) silhouettes are supposed to make a pair." Also "Walpurgisnacht is meant to look like the upper half of a sand timer, while Kriemhild Gretchen looks like the lower half." Why would Walpurgisnacht and Kriemhild Gretchen need to be so connected in an artistic way? Because Homura and Madoka are connected like that: on opposite ends of the hourglass so to speak.

What do you think? Its not a perfect theory by any means, but I think it does fit perfectly in the narrative.
theprodigalson
theprodigalson

Male

Forum Posts : 436

Original Characters : Nikias and Anastasia

Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

A Madoka Magica theory Empty Re: A Madoka Magica theory

Post by taerKitty Thu 15 Jun 2017 - 0:02

I love it!
taerKitty
taerKitty