Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Dogs, New Tricks

+4
tremec6speed
Alfisti
Kiskaloo
Il Direttore
8 posters

Go down

Old Dogs, New Tricks Empty Old Dogs, New Tricks

Post by Il Direttore Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 23:57

So, consider the ending of GSG. Rico's fate was left ambiguous, though there's a lot of speculation going around that Rico stayed on as an Operative for Public Security or whatever. Still, Rico's not the only cyborg still active at the end of GSG. We also see, I think, Silvia and Chiara at the beginning of Chapter 99, and their ultimate fate is never discussed. Of course, the most obvious answer is that all the cyborgs lived to the end of their operational lives and, if the docs were merciful, sedated and euthanized.

But what if you could deactivate a cyborg? What if you could minimize the cybernetics, build them a body out of civilian level technology without causing massive problems with the physiology? They'd lose all their abilities, sure, but they'd be alive and could conceivably transition to the civilian sector. Some would certainly manage it pretty easily, with Rico being the obvious example. Change the last syllable to a "ca" and she's got a more normal name, enroll her in school where her generally cheerful disposition would probably win her at least one or two good friends, and let her grow. 

Ideally, you'd craft a story around the girls transitioning to civilian life, but that may not be possible. The alternative would be set the story to "Not Your Kind of People" and have the girls coming OUT of civilian life as a new threat to Italian National Security looms on the horizon.

Seems legit to me. Thoughts?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Old Dogs, New Tricks Empty Re: Old Dogs, New Tricks

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 0:07

Silvia died at Venice along with Beatrice.

MP5 raised a similar idea with his Idyllic Lives concept, to which Alfisti and I wrote Outside Looking In and I did three stories (to date - I'm toying with a fourth) with Michele and Claes: Graduation DaySecret Base ~Kimi ga Kureta Mono~ [Secret Base ~What You Gave Me~] and The Caretaker.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 0:10

Ah, I wasn't aware of MP5's thread. And thanks for the info on Silvia, I get all the blonde cyborgs who aren't Rico mixed up. -_-' Links?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 0:19

Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 0:20

Brilliant, thanks!
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 4:28

El Conservatore wrote:Ideally, you'd craft a story around the girls transitioning to civilian life, but that may not be possible. The alternative would be set the story to "Not Your Kind of People" and have the girls coming OUT of civilian life as a new threat to Italian National Security looms on the horizon.
Notably, in the version Kisk and I wrote, Jethro+Monty never made the transition to being civillians... because frankly I can't see that being a "new trick" either would be particularly interested in learning Razz
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 21:59

I can imagine a circumstance in which a mission gone awry or the enemy exposes the existence of the Agency and therefore public pressure forces the SWA to make the cyborgs normal, with the girls becoming international celebrities, what with all the attention and what not. Apart from the public scrutiny and the legal proceedings levied at ALL involved, the human-weapons would be torn to see their handlers possibly be arrested!
tremec6speed
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 2037

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 13:23

tremec6speed wrote: Apart from the public scrutiny and the legal proceedings levied at ALL involved, the human-weapons would be torn to see their handlers possibly be arrested!
Trem makes a solid point, one that's been occupying my thoughts for some time: the legal status of the cyborgs. The quick answer to that is 'none whatever', since officially they don't exist, but what happens if their existence becomes known? Are they people or things? Certainly attorneys for the government and the SWA would argue the latter definition, else the acts they've perpetrated on them would be heinous crimes: slavery, abuse, experimental surgery, torture and brainwashing etc. etc. Every doctor, every administrator, every handler, every staffer who knew of the kids and their circumstances would face lengthy jail terms.

If the cyborgs are stipulated as human, what then? Will they be considered the same individuals they were pre-conversion? Would the ones with living relatives be returned to their families? I doubt any of them would be judged competent to manage their own affairs, and many would remain wards of the State, albeit in different circumstances. How much success might they have integrating into mainstream society? A dark thought: if the cyborgs are judged as people, and competent to manage their own affairs, would they be held accountable for their actions as tools of Section Two?
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 14:37

Thescarredman wrote:Trem makes a solid point, one that's been occupying my thoughts for some time: the legal status of the cyborgs. The quick answer to that is 'none whatever', since officially they don't exist, but what happens if their existence becomes known? Are they people or things? Certainly attorneys for the government and the SWA would argue the latter definition, else the acts they've perpetrated on them would be heinous crimes: slavery, abuse, experimental surgery, torture and brainwashing etc. etc. Every doctor, every administrator, every handler, every staffer who knew of the kids and their circumstances would face lengthy jail terms.

The Italian Constitution does give the President of the Republic the power to pardon individuals with the countersignature of the Minister of Justice. That being said, I don't know how close Prime Minister Renato and the President are. Wink
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 15:13

For the sake of plot, it would be highly interesting for them to be considered the people they were before conversion. 

----

Henrietta blinked at the girls sitting across from her. A single pot of tea and three cups sat in the center of the table, along with a plate of madelines. The Agency compound was slowly being shut down. The cyborgs who had been orphaned before their conversion were still on campus, until something more permanent could be arranged. This did not preclude visitors. 

"This is Olivia and this is Juliet," said the government official who had taken over management of the cyborgs. "They came to see you, Alicia." 

"My name is Henrietta," said Henrietta without looking up at the official. Henrietta refused to give up the name Giuse had given her, much to the frustration and distress of the government. 

"D-do you remember us, Ali-," began Olivia. She froze as Henrietta's gaze chilled several degrees. "I-I mean, Henrietta?" 

Henrietta stopped glaring at Olivia and reached for the tea pot. She ignored the way everyone flinched at her movement. "I am sorry, I do not," said Henrietta as she demurely served her guests tea. Best manners on, don't fidget, be graceful and charming. Just like she'd been taught by Giuse. "Did you know me, before the... event?" 

Juliet nodded. "We, um, we were in the same school," she said. "We were friends, actually." 

Henrietta folded her hands in her lap. "I see. Please, help yourselves to the tea and snacks." 

Olivia and Juliet glanced at each other, before reaching for a madeline each. The official gave the group one last look before nodding. 

"I'll leave you to it then," he said. "Please remember your lessons, Alicia." 

Henrietta frowned at him. "Olivia," she said, turning away from the vile little man. "How do you like the tea? Would you like any sugar or cream?" 

Olivia hastily swallowed. "Um, the tea is very good," she said. "I, uh, I'll take some cream, please." 

"No sugar? Are you sure?" asked Henrietta as she transferred the cream pot in front of Olivia. The vile official left. "Though I suppose I do have a sweet tooth." 

"You were like that back then as well," said Juliet with a reminiscing smile. "I remember that we always were accidentally passing the gelato shop and you always had a few extra euros for a scoop." 

"Do you remember the time she had too much too fast and had to give us her gelato?" asked Olivia. "She was so disappointed the whole way back." 

"Yeah, it was a really good flavor too-." 

Henrietta casually let her spoon drop too hard into her cup as she stirred several scoops of sugar in. The conversation halted with a jerk. 

“S-sorry,” said Olivia, looking away. Henrietta stared at her and Juliet in turn, slowly stirring. 

“It… it must be difficult for you, H-henrietta,” said Juliet. She took a deep breath, bracing herself. “I.. It’s just that me and Olivia, we were very close to Alicia, before you- that is she- I—.”

“I know what you mean,” said Henrietta quietly. 

“R-right,” said Juliet. “We were very sad to hear that you had passed away, and we never thought it’d be possible to see you again. The government sent us a jar of ashes, and we thought that was the end of it. It was a great blessing to hear that you were alive, if.. if not necessarily well—.” 

“My life at the Agency has been a happy one,” said Henrietta in the flat, grim tone that she had developed over the last several months. Ever since Giuse had been taken away from her, she had gone as still as Beatrice. 

“I, well, okay,” said Juliet. “B-but the fact is, we wanted to see our friend again.” 

A moment of silence. 

“I’m sorry to have disappointed you,” said Henrietta. She took a sip of tea from her cup. “My name is Henrietta, not Alicia.” 

“I… we understand that,” said Olivia. “At least, now we do. There are little things where you’re just like Alicia, but it’s clear that you’re…. I guess what I’m trying to say is….” 

“It looks like Alicia really died that day,” said Juliet. She swallowed and suppressed a sob, a tear tracking down her face. “We… we got our hopes up and…” 

Henrietta reached up and wiped the tear from Juliet’s cheek. 

“I’m sorry. Thank you for understanding.” 

“The toady doesn’t get it, does he?” asked Olivia. She scrubbed at her eyes as well.

“Mm,” agreed Henrietta, smiling slightly. “He is….” She paused, searching for a sufficiently polite way of saying “stupid butt-headed bastard.” 

“A stupid butt-headed bastard?” asked Juliet with a small grin. 

“Now, I wouldn’t put it that exactly that way,” said Henrietta, grinning despite herself. She hadn’t wanted to like these girls. She had wanted to hate them, for being part of a past that wasn’t part of who she was now. 

But… 

“Well how else would you put it?” asked Olivia, rolling her eyes. “‘Unpleasant slimeball’, perhaps?” 

Henrietta giggled as Olivia drank some of her tea in satisfaction. “Perhaps,” said Henrietta. “Oh! Juliet, I’m sorry, I forgot to offer you cream and sugar. Would you—?” 

“It’s fine,” said Juliet, waving it off. “I prefer my tea and coffee black.” 

Henrietta grimaced. “Ew. You drink coffee?” 

“I’ve always drunk coffee,” said Juliet. “My family runs a coffee shop, re- I mean, um.” 

Henrietta managed to ignore the slip up. “I guess that explains why you can drink the stuff,” she said. “Giuse always had a cup in the mornings, especially before a mission. He let me have a sip once, but it was really bitter.” 

“Well, I guess it’s a bit of an acquired taste for some people,” said Juliet. “Who is Giuse?” 

“Giuse is… was…,” Henrietta began, but then stopped and had to set her tea cup down. “He w-was my h-handler. I… I…” 

“I’m sorry, I should have known,” said Juliet quickly. “Um, so, what was it, I mean uh—.” 

“The news said that there were more than just you,” said Olivia. Juliet shot her a grateful look as Henrietta marshaled her emotions. “It seems really empty though.” 

“Some of the girls still had living parents,” said Henrietta, wiping her eyes. “I— well, you know that my… my parents are dead.” 

Juliet nodded. “Have you found a place to stay yet?” 

“No,” said Henrietta. “I… because of my… situation, there’s been difficulty finding a… a suitable household.” 

Juliet and Olivia glanced at each other again. “…Are you allowed out of the compound?” asked Olivia. 

“If I am supervised by an Agency chaperone,” said Henrietta with a nod. “Why?” 

“We were thinking, before we came, that maybe you would like to get some gelato with us?” asked Olivia. 

Henrietta looked at them. 

“I think not today,” said Henrietta. “Thank you for the offer.” 

“Oh. Alright then,” said Olivia. “Can we… can we come visit you again?” 

Henrietta thought about this. On the one hand, she hated being told who she was supposed to be and didn’t want to be reminded about her past. It was a painful thing, and the “lessons” always left her with a splitting headache. 

On the other hand, Juliet and Olivia seemed nice. Making more friends would be… good. Maybe if she became friends with them the toady would be less toad like. And… and Henrietta really did feel lonely these days. She wanted more friends, she wanted more than just the four walls and bed and empty bunk where Rico once slept. But… 

“Yes,” she said. “I would like that. Would you like more tea?” 

Henrietta hoped she had made the right decision. She hoped that she had made the decision, and not Alicia. She hoped for a lot of things. 

But more friends never hurt.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 15:49

Lovely little story, ID. And quick work, too, I might add.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 15:56

Things I do when I should be finishing up other work.... 

Thanks for the complements, TSM! A little unsure of Henrietta's characterization, to be honest, but eh.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Sun 6 Apr 2014 - 15:57

I'm sure she'd be a very different person without Jose.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 0:56

Nicely written ID. I think you've captured Henrietta quite well: it's not "agency days" 'Etta, but she's certainly there and, as TSM pointed out, minus a handler and with the changes in her life that she's presumably been through, I doubt she would 100% the same girl we know from the canon.

To put it a different way, I never felt myself reading it and thinking "this doesn't feel like Henrietta".

As an aside, in regard the whole "post cyborg, meeting with friends", and to throw another potential spanner in the works for her: 'Etta's been a cyborg for three years now, through a period of life where a lot of physical change takes place. Presuming the SWA hasn't "aged her up"/made physical changes at conversion, I wonder what sort of effect it might have on Alicia's friends to find her looking more or less exactly as she did three or so years ago, while they have moved on...
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 18:37

Dammit Alfisti, stop making me write things. Or rather, stop giving me IDEAS for writing things. I don't have the energy to pull off an emotionally intensive snippet like that right now, but it would certainly be interesting. 

Additionally, I really really want to see a thing where Henrietta is out with Olivia and Juliet on that gelato run, and somebody tries to mug them. THAT would be a trip for the two fifteen year olds.

In any case, thanks for the compliments!
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 Mon 2 Mar 2015 - 1:38

This is really good...what other goodies are lying around this site...
PolosElite23
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 936

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : A journey of a lifetime starts with a blinking cursor.

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by boomer_gonz Mon 2 Mar 2015 - 3:06

Now that was a 5-star short. Very Happy
boomer_gonz
boomer_gonz

Male

Forum Posts : 2574

Fan of : Crystal Palace!!!

Original Characters : Alpha/Omega Fratello & Dr. Giacomo Gianncomo

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by taerKitty Mon 2 Mar 2015 - 9:14

Very nice.  Understated, open-ended, and yet satisfying.
taerKitty
taerKitty

Male

Forum Posts : 1211

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : Dina & Paolo

Comments : The feelz... the feelz...

Registration date : 2012-01-22
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Mon 2 Mar 2015 - 15:28

Someday, we'll bully this guy into writing again - after we bully him into coming back to the forum.
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum