Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Case for Bionic Eyes

+2
Kiskaloo
Il Direttore
6 posters

Go down

The Case for Bionic Eyes Empty The Case for Bionic Eyes

Post by Il Direttore Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 14:57

Link: From the New York Times

TL;DR
-A new type of device can transmit high contrasts of light and dark so that someone who is blind can see. It allows you to see the edges of buildings and position of objects.

Considering the level of funding for this is probably not as ridiculously high as a government-funded attempt at making cyborg assassins out of little girls, I would say that the SWA has a greater than 70% chance of having extremely useful cyborg eyes that can do a lot of crazy things, not the least of which would be an eye that can see in the dark. I'd even say that an eye with integrated B&W Infrared that can switch between the IR and Normal Visual Range settings isn't terribly out there.

Anyway. Thoughts?

Last edited by El Conservatore on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 19:04; edited 1 time in total
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

The Case for Bionic Eyes Empty Re: The Case for Bionic Eyes

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 16:02

In my universe, the girls can see in the dark using infrared illuminators (a flashlight that uses infrared light instead of visible light).
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Forum Posts : 10984

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 17:43

No Links?

There are many implants for those who suffer from Macular Degeneration. But its a 30/70 chance on them working or not as each person being an individual makes for problems not forseen in the lab. This was true for the first heart surgeries, when surgeons would open up a chest and say "Damn - that was not on the X-Rays!" and later would go to the patient's family and tell them "The operation was a 100% complete success. Unfortunately the patient did not make it."
ElfenMagix
ElfenMagix

Male

Forum Posts : 5682

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 19:06

ElfenMagix wrote:No Links?

There are many implants for those who suffer from Macular Degeneration. But its a 30/70 chance on them working or not as each person being an individual makes for problems not forseen in the lab. This was true for the first heart surgeries, when surgeons would open up a chest and say "Damn - that was not on the X-Rays!" and later would go to the patient's family and tell them "The operation was a 100% complete success. Unfortunately the patient did not make it."

While true, I was thinking that the SWA is effectively taking current technology forward by about three generations. It seems to me that if the current implant/system/etc. is experimental and has a 30/70 chance, then the next generation will be 100% chance with the high-contrast B&W. The generation after that will have color vision and militarized variants, such as IR and such. The generation after that would have the above stated functionalities.

*shrugs*

Kiskaloo wrote:In my universe, the girls can see in the dark using infrared illuminators (a flashlight that uses infrared light instead of visible light).

Do the Girls have any issues with IR light during the day? Ovens, for example, would glow.

Last edited by El Conservatore on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 19:07; edited 1 time in total
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:31

Depending on the sensitivity, someone who sees in infrared would be able to see a whole lot of things normals wouldnt. Just a few that come immediately to mind:

Recent footprints and tire tracks on pavement, as well as knowing which buttons on a keypad have been recently touched.

Whether an electrical circuit inside a wall is in use.

Might also enable them to tell whether a person is lying by noting temp increases short of blushing.

Oh, the fun...
Thescarredman
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 2226

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.
John Doe faked his own death - twice.
Enrica taught Jose everything he knows about the night sky.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:39

Thescarredman wrote:Depending on the sensitivity, someone who sees in infrared would be able to see a whole lot of things normals wouldnt. Just a few that come immediately to mind:

Recent footprints and tire tracks on pavement, as well as knowing which buttons on a keypad have been recently touched.

Whether an electrical circuit inside a wall is in use.

Might also enable them to tell whether a person is lying by noting temp increases short of blushing.

Oh, the fun...

Hoohoohoo....

Anyway, what're your thoughts on the plausibility of such things in GSG?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:09

El Conservatore wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:In my universe, the girls can see in the dark using infrared illuminators (a flashlight that uses infrared light instead of visible light).

Do the Girls have any issues with IR light during the day? Ovens, for example, would glow.

I figure it is an ability they can consciously control. Their eyes can see reflected IR light, but they have to want to do so. During the day, I would expect they don't use the ability or it's effectiveness is "drowned out" by visible light reflections.

While I never touched on it, humans have three different cone types providing trichromacy and the ability to distinguish about 1 million colors, there are species with more cone types who can see more colors. As such, the girls might be able to see in richer color than humans. They also are likely better able to resolve color in low-light conditions than the rods in the human eye can.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:13

Kiskaloo wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:

I figure it is an ability they can consciously control. Their eyes can see reflected IR light, but they have to want to do so. During the day, I would expect they don't use the ability or it's effectiveness is "drowned out" by visible light reflections.

While I never touched on it, humans have three different cone types providing trichromacy and the ability to distinguish about 1 million colors, there are species with more cone types who can see more colors. As such, the girls might be able to see in richer color than humans. They also are likely better able to resolve color in low-light conditions than the rods in the human eye can.

Do you have any idea what that mechanism would be? Neural link control?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:28

El Conservatore wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:

Do you have any idea what that mechanism would be? Neural link control?

Not really. I needed them to see around a darkened hotel suite and having them not need external light-amplification or IR goggles seemed logical considering their eyes are artificial. Our rods are off-center in our eyes, which is why we see better in the dark if we look askance at something, so maybe that is how they do it with the IR stuff.
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 23:17

I know regards the cyborgs being able to see into infra-red, I handled it a similar way to Voodoo; in that the girls always see the IR spectrum... just if they're not looking for it they don't notice it, if that makes sense.

Put it another way: you walk into a room and look around. Then someone says "do you see the purple chair"... suddenly you notice the purple chair. While you've seen it you haven't really noticed it's presence until you were looking for it: it's just been part of the background.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 2:01

Kiskaloo wrote:
Not really. I needed them to see around a darkened hotel suite and having them not need external light-amplification or IR goggles seemed logical considering their eyes are artificial. Our rods are off-center in our eyes, which is why we see better in the dark if we look askance at something, so maybe that is how they do it with the IR stuff.

Hm. Well it's an interesting thought, that's for sure.

Alfisti wrote:
I know regards the cyborgs being able to see into infra-red, I handled it a similar way to Voodoo; in that the girls always see the IR spectrum... just if they're not looking for it they don't notice it, if that makes sense.

Put it another way: you walk into a room and look around. Then someone says "do you see the purple chair"... suddenly you notice the purple chair. While you've seen it you haven't really noticed it's presence until you were looking for it: it's just been part of the background.

That's also worth noticing. So would it be like a "Wait, you DON'T see that the oven's glowing like Christmas?" moment if a handler was to ask his cyborg?
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 2:09

El Conservatore wrote:That's also worth noticing. So would it be like a "Wait, you DON'T see that the oven's glowing like Christmas?" moment if a handler was to ask his cyborg?
Pretty much... of course she'd notice as soon as he asked the question.

Admittedly, the way I write them at least the girl's IR capabilities are very limited and are certainly not a match for a proper set of IR goggles.

The other thing to consider of course is that radiation in the IR bandwith refracts differently through a lens to the visible light spectrum (at least I'm of the understanding it does)... so it's quite possible the cyborgs would only be able to focus on one or the other; eliminating some of the mixup between if, when she's seeing "normally", all the IR is out of focus and therefore less discernable.
Alfisti
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5880

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 2:19

Alfisti wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:That's also worth noticing. So would it be like a "Wait, you DON'T see that the oven's glowing like Christmas?" moment if a handler was to ask his cyborg?
Pretty much... of course she'd notice as soon as he asked the question.

Admittedly, the way I write them at least the girl's IR capabilities are very limited and are certainly not a match for a proper set of IR goggles.

The other thing to consider of course is that radiation in the IR bandwith refracts differently through a lens to the visible light spectrum (at least I'm of the understanding it does)... so it's quite possible the cyborgs would only be able to focus on one or the other; eliminating some of the mixup between if, when she's seeing "normally", all the IR is out of focus and therefore less discernable.

Blurg, that'd take more research. My laziness is telling me to just assume very small CPUs and some sort of switch device. Very Happy
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 8:51

I suddenly want to see fanart of any GSG, dressed up in a Predator costume.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 10:53

El Conservatore wrote:Blurg, that'd take more research. My laziness is telling me to just assume very small CPUs and some sort of switch device. Very Happy

Or just follow Yu Aida and don't bother explaining it. Smile
Kiskaloo
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 11:32

Kiskaloo wrote:
El Conservatore wrote:Blurg, that'd take more research. My laziness is telling me to just assume very small CPUs and some sort of switch device. Very Happy

Or just follow Yu Aida and don't bother explaining it. Smile

This is an excellent plan.

Nachtsider wrote: I suddenly want to see fanart of any GSG, dressed up in a Predator costume.

I could do a crappy photoshop, if that would amuse you.
Il Direttore
Il Direttore

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum