Welcome to Cyborg Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strike Witches 1940 Fan Project

4 posters

Go down

Strike Witches 1940 Fan Project Empty Strike Witches 1940 Fan Project

Post by Piero Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 20:56

This is another fan project initiated by the same guy who initiated the Strike Witches 1991 fan project. Judging by the names of several of the characters it's loosely based off the 1969 "Battle of Britain" movie. It seems to be a bit more tightly focused than Strike Witches 1991, with fewer characters. The artist has actually drawn several chapters of a doujin manga for this particular project. It's not currently on Danbooru. I'm thinking of bringing it over myself, though I'd sort of like to message the artist and ask him if he's okay with that first (granted he okayed my posting some of his artwork previously, but an actual doujin manga is a lot bigger than a few character profiles). Hopefully if it gets brought over to Danbooru someone will translate it.

Here's a set of cast profiles for the project, mostly untranslated:

SqL Constantia Harvey
FSgt Anna McBein
LA May Harvey
WO Alstede Brand
FO Magdalena Kaczynski
FLt Fine Falke
PO Heike Falke
Sgt. Katerina Kricka

The artists has also done some character profiles for characters for Strike Witches versions of The Battle of the Bulge and Pearl Harbour, though I don't think he's done doujin mangas for those. Those I can probably bring over, although I'm a little worried about pacing the carry overs. I want to catch up a bit but I also don't want to bring over too much stuff at once.

Last edited by Piero on Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 21:11; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Messed up with a link.)

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Strike Witches 1940 Fan Project Empty Re: Strike Witches 1940 Fan Project

Post by Nachtsider Wed 17 Aug 2011 - 2:59

This is lovely - the last girl, Kricka, is my favorite. I've always been partial to the 'Battle of Britain' film.

He'd better get cracking on the Pearl Harbor one. I'd be interested to see Witches with Striker units based on torpedo planes and dive bombers instead of just fighters.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5722

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 18 Aug 2011 - 0:51

You might be a bit disappointed if you're looking for dive bombers and such Nacht. Of the four character concepts the artist has done for "Pearl Harbor Witches" three of them use P-40s and I suspect the remaining one is using some kind of Japanese fighter (the profiles haven't been translated yet -it's just that P-40 is written using english letters in them).

Still trying to decide whether to try to bring over the SW 1940 doujin manga on my own. I did actually get permission from the artist to bring some of his art to danbooru, but I didn't ask about the manga chapters. I'd kind of like to ask him about it first but I don't know of google translate would be good for a question that specific. Would be fine if I could find a translator but there hasn't been anyone doing any serious translation work on these projects on danbooru recently. Hopefully the new content being posted in terms of profiles will eventually attract one.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH Thu 18 Aug 2011 - 6:16

Ive been seeing those pics around in the booru sites for months now... Loved them.. but I didnt knew that the artist was making it for a Doujin.

This is brilliant.
ACH
ACH

Male

Forum Posts : 390

Fan of : Physics~

Original Characters : Lots~

Comments : None~~~

Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Thu 18 Aug 2011 - 22:35

I brought the profile pages for the four "Pearl Harbor" Witches over yesterday. Here's the links:

Rachel McCawley and Daisy Walker
Liu Lixiang and a Fuso Witch

Personally I find the second pair more interesting, seeing as the Fuso witch has that freaking enormous sword and Liu is the first Chinese witch that I'm aware of. The obvious Flying Tiger references in her design are pretty cool, although the shark's mouth doesn't work as well when your propellers are facing backwards.

Might try to bring over the Battle of the Bulge witches in the near future although they appear to be mostly tank witches.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Sun 21 Aug 2011 - 1:24

Well, I decided to just dive in and brought the prequel chapter for the Battle of Britannia doujin over to Danbooru. So far none of it's been translated aside from the quote on the first page but you can get some idea of what's going on just from the visuals:

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/978086/comic-commentary-commentary_request-debris-doujins

I put the whole chapter in a pool, so you can use the arrows for cycling through the pool to cycle through the pages. BTW, I did run the artist's commentary through google translate and apparently this prequel chapter is titled something along the lines of "Goobye, Beautiful Gallia." (Gallia being the Strike Witches counterpart to France.)

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 6:04

Then you would be darthtabby in danbooru then? If so, cool. Been a regular lurker for the artist's page in danbooru for quite awhile now and with the 1991 witches and now the doujin, I was inspired to try writing a story concerning Witches in the modern world (20XX). I'm not sure if this is off-topic but the story is still in the planning stage and I'm using a bit of inspiration from ogitsune's work (do I need permission from him?)

TheStarSeeker

Male

Forum Posts : 28

Fan of : Strike Witches, .hack//G.U. , alot more

Original Characters : none

Comments : ...

Registration date : 2011-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 6:55

TheStarSeeker wrote:Then you would be darthtabby in danbooru then? If so, cool. Been a regular lurker for the artist's page in danbooru for quite awhile now and with the 1991 witches and now the doujin, I was inspired to try writing a story concerning Witches in the modern world (20XX). I'm not sure if this is off-topic but the story is still in the planning stage and I'm using a bit of inspiration from ogitsune's work (do I need permission from him?)
This is hardly off topic. By all means, write the story. There are plenty of Strike Witches enthusiasts here who would be thrilled to read it.

And as for Ogitsune, I think it hinges on whether or not you're making new characters who are BASED on his, or if you're actually using the characters he's created. If it's the latter, a courtesy call would be nice, as well as explicit mention in an introductory chapter that you're using his work as inspiration. I dare say he would be pleased to know that someone thinks highly enough of his material to write a story about it.

While we're on the subject of contacting Ogitsune... why don't you see what you can do about playing the role of scriptwriter, with Ogitsune illustrating your story in comic form? Now THAT would rock.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 7:21

Wow...that.....would really rock but I don't think I would try that just yet...not until I get my first chapter out and see how the world thinks of it. Though, I'm still in the character creation stage (planned about 10+ modern witches) and I still have to do a bit of research for the Striker units and stuff so it'll take a while...

On another note, I'll most probably won't be using Ogitsune's characters but maybe some of his aspects and ideas. Course, I'd be honored to credit him.

TheStarSeeker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 7:51

Sounds like a plan. Very Happy

Not a few people here (myself included) have a fair bit of knowledge about military aircraft and equipment. Feel free to ask us if you need help with technical aspects of your story. And once you think you've done enough to make it fit for public consumption, post a link (perhaps in the Fan Creations forum) and let us marvel at your work!
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 8:05

I will in due time. I'm not worried about the military equipments parts since I've been interested in them for a long time. Its the names of characters that sometimes give me a headache. (I'm not very creative with names)

I'll be putting in on fanfiction.net when its done and linked to it as you suggested. But as I said it'll be sometime before that happens.

TheStarSeeker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 8:45

Well, it so happens that I know about quite a few real-life flying aces whom you could base your characters on. Granted, most of them aren't from the modern age (they're mostly from the First and Second World Wars). But hey, your characters can always be something like descendents.

We can all wait; you can't rush something good. When you're ready, we'll be too.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 8:52

Haha thanks. That was my initial thoughts too but having all witches be descendents of aces would be kinda weird...Well, I'll think of the name one at a time.

Oh before I forget, I'm looking for a translated version of the strike witches world map....I heard they've been updated to include China....or soemthing...

TheStarSeeker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 10:17

The tricky part with communicating with Ogitsune is that he barely knows any English. I'm hoping to find a translator who can help out with that at some point in the near future. I've managed to communicate with him a bit using google translate but that can lead to misunderstandings over even fairly simple things.

And yeah, I go by Darthtabby on Danbooru.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 10:20

We have people here who know Japanese. An interpreter is just a PM away.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 10:33

Well...I only know basic Japanese (think elementary level) so I don't think I can help. And yea, I know about the misunderstandings. (like Lucchini's descendent) Lets hope you find one who can help with the translation.

Oh and I might list out what ideas I have about my story but most probably not here (since it would be going off topic). Most probably a new thread somewhere since I need some opinions and feedback about the plot and settings.

TheStarSeeker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 14:56

Go to the forum index. Do you see the 'Plot Bunny Hutch' section? That's where you want to start a thread dedicated to your story.
Nachtsider
Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 20:00

Nachtsider wrote:Go to the forum index. Do you see the 'Plot Bunny Hutch' section? That's where you want to start a thread dedicated to your story.

Are there any currently active translators who are fans of Strike Witches on this board? I didn't think there were any at the moment but if you know of any that would be a huge help.

I also put out some feelers on the forum for the Strike Witches wiki. That forum isn't very active but I figured it would be worth a shot.

StarSeeker wrote:Well...I only know basic Japanese (think elementary level) so I don't
think I can help. And yea, I know about the misunderstandings. (like
Lucchini's descendent) Lets hope you find one who can help with the
translation.

Actually the thing with Gabriella worked surprisingly well, there were a few bits that got lost in translation but in general the basics were preserved fairly well. On the other hand my attempt to ask permission to post some of the artist's work on Danbooru was embarassing. I think he thought I wanted him to translate the stuff despite his previously explaining that he didn't know English.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Tue 23 Aug 2011 - 21:16

Nachtsider wrote:Go to the forum index. Do you see the 'Plot Bunny Hutch' section? That's where you want to start a thread dedicated to your story.

I'll give it a try but I'm not sure if there are any (except for 2 to 5 like you and piero) fans of the strike witches. I've tried googling for a strike witch fansite but most are dead and some are inactive for months now. It would be nice to have feedbacks from active strike witches fans though.

And...well you can't use google translate for messages because it'll always ends up broken...

TheStarSeeker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStarSeeker Thu 25 Aug 2011 - 2:07

Alright, I've added a thread for my project on the Plot Bunny Hutch section. Hope you could go take a look and let me know if I need to change or add anything.

TheStarSeeker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ACH Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 6:42

So... Where are all this Doujins?
ACH
ACH

Male

Forum Posts : 390

Fan of : Physics~

Original Characters : Lots~

Comments : None~~~

Registration date : 2010-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero Fri 16 Sep 2011 - 23:34

I made a specific thread for that. With the new SW specific forum I thought it would be a good idea to branch some of the different topics relating to these fan project into multiple threads. I'd hoped doing so would encourage more discussion on these topics (and also because I thought the SW 1991 thread in particular was getting a bit long).

https://gunslinger-girl.forumotion.com/t3020-battle-of-britannia-doujin

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down